Friday, November 28, 2014Cloudy -5°C

Video imagines nightmare Rob Ford re-election posters

Posted by Chris Bateman / February 4, 2014

toronto rob fordSome choice Rob Ford quotes are being reimagined as massive election posters in a new video that's sure to stir uncomfortable memories of the last four years.

"Those Oriental people work like dogs" is emblazoned on a Chinatown wall, "I'll make sure that motherfucker's dead" looms over College and University in the film, titled "How Do You See Toronto?"

The video, in which Ford's voice is also heard, was posted to YouTube this afternoon by film maker Kelly Manchester. "I've got no political affiliation, but I live in downtown Toronto and was spurred by the poll numbers that show he's still got a shot at re-election," he said in an email.

"Not that I think my video will do anything to prevent that, but I think blind rage is a good jumping off point for art."

It's certainly a powerful reminder of just how desensitized we've become to the Ford's countless horrendous gaffes during his time in office.

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Soren / February 4, 2014 at 04:11 pm
Harsh statements unbecoming of anyone, let alone the mayor.
King Rob Ford / February 4, 2014 at 04:28 pm
Wasn't me, didn't say any of it. Robyn Doolittle hired Rich Little or Jim Carrey to do my voice.
Katie / February 4, 2014 at 04:33 pm
too bad those "harsh" statements were his own statements. He should be the one leaving us alone.
Dean / February 4, 2014 at 04:35 pm
Harsh, Shocking; however, it is a real picture of what Rob Ford stands for. There is no way that anyone can justify voting for him in 2014. Let him take a break and get professional help. BTW a unauthorized trainer is not professional help!
ha! / February 4, 2014 at 04:42 pm
oh goodness, this so stupid. All this does is add to fuel firing up Ford Nation, which is fine by me as he has my vote in the next election.

Ford for Mayor!
The Only Sane Person In the World replying to a comment from ha! / February 4, 2014 at 04:49 pm
So you support violene, racism, and homophobia? Specifically when relating to policy-making within your city?

I guess as long as your taxes don't go up and those damned bicycles stay off the roads.
Adam / February 4, 2014 at 05:00 pm
I hate Rob Ford, but that first one about needles and gays is pretty accurate, actually. He left out people of trans experience as well as sex workers.
79 replying to a comment from The Only Sane Person In the World / February 4, 2014 at 05:08 pm
Can people please stop misusing words like homophobia and racism. Their constant misuse simply makes them lose their potency and makes those uttering them improperly seem less than educated and informed. He may have been insensitive, not using the politically correct terminology of the day, but nothing he said was either of those two things. The fact is homosexuals and drug addicts are a lot more likely to contract HIV/AIDs than the general population. The fact is many in the Asian community work their butts off to make a living and support their families. Stop trying to make something that was very obviously meant to be a complement an insult, just because he used a word associated with the Asian community for decades.
Roxanne replying to a comment from Adam / February 4, 2014 at 05:11 pm
Adam, you're an idiot.
iSkyscraper / February 4, 2014 at 05:26 pm
My own Rob Ford re-election website: I simply look at this page of what Bloomberg did in New York, pretend I'm in Toronto, and slide the bar to the right and to show how Ford would rip out bike and pedestrian infrastructure and return every inch of roadway to cars.

Donna replying to a comment from Adam / February 4, 2014 at 05:42 pm
That's pretty ignorant. I've known a few dozen transpeople, and only a small percentage became sex trade workers. In fact, the one who is an MD, another who's a psychometrist, one a CEO of their own company (and I'm sure earning way more than you) laugh at the fact people like you just don't get it. Oh, and by the way, when I started living as a woman, and transitioned on the job, my employer and I ended up in front of the people at human rights in Ottawa... and I continued to work for them for years.
Irwin mimico / February 4, 2014 at 05:47 pm
This is why he's going to win again. These are pathetic tactics on trying to make him look bad. If the weather cooperates your all invited to my house for a bbq when rob ford gets re-elected.
Pat / February 4, 2014 at 05:49 pm
I am sure most people say lots of things that they would regret if someone posted a quotation on billboards. But fortunately, our lives are not put under a microscope the way Ford's is. Sure the quotes are not flattering. But the media's bullying of Ford really does seem to fire up Ford Nation.
Apologist replying to a comment from Pat / February 4, 2014 at 06:48 pm
Pat - trotting out the old "blame the media" axe to grind, huh?

Here's a helpful tip: If you don't want all of your statements scrutinized, DON'T BE THE MAYOR.

Ford is not a "regular guy". Ford is a public figure, who chose to run for and hold the highest municipal office in the land. It would be "bullying" to put on the front page the actions of your neighbor Mrs. Jones' day after day. It's called "journalism" when you publish the failings of the head of a government that oversees 2.4 million people. It would be "putting him under a microscope" to quote your auto mechanic's every musing. When you quote politicians it's called "reporting".

Ford is the goddamned mayor of the city, he's unfit for office, but you blame the media for simply noting this fact?
Adam replying to a comment from Donna / February 4, 2014 at 06:49 pm
Hey Donna. You may have misinterpreted what I was saying. I wasn't trying to make any causal link between trans identities and sex work status. From the current literature and statistics on HIV, trans women often bear a greater burden of the HIV epidemic.
kn / February 4, 2014 at 08:00 pm
Rob Ford is an idiot. A rich dude pretending to understand or sincerely care about helping the less fortunate people of Toronto. Silver spoon comes to mind......wait sounds like Adam "Upper Canada" Vaughan. Two sides of the same coin. Ban hand guns from Toronto? Hey Adam, Toronto is not a country!!! Build high rise condos so you and the TCHC can mindlessly rebuild public housing ghettos?? Thanks for the simpleton's solution to the institutional ghettoization and segregation of the less enfranchised of Toronto. (I can't think of a better way to keep these unfortunates out of our hair..insert sarcastic look here) Well at least you will be able to stand proud and convince everybody this isn't a monument to your own ego.....and Rob, my god, get a grip on your addictions!!!!!! Everybody including your brother is bailing on you. Maybe once you should listen to your handlers....errrr I mean advisors...wow no wonder the clowns at city hall can't get a stop or two added to our subway system. We tax payers have been paying these bozos at city hall millions upon millions for decades to do nothing but debate about our public transportation system. Hate to quote Nike, BUT JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!
Brad replying to a comment from ha! / February 4, 2014 at 08:09 pm
Anyone who votes for Ford needs be educated on how a leader of a community should act. That means no drugs, stop the drunken stupours, stop telling lies about how balance the budget, stop insulting minorities, stop hanging out in crack houses, stop hanging out with crooks and drug dealers, stop treating your wife so horribly. There are so many other things to add but this would be a good beginning.
So again, those who think that want Ford as mayor shouldn't get to vote as they don't understand what is involved with running the city of Toronto. It's not a joke. If the city ever has an emergency and Ford is in yet another drunken stupour...he wouldn't be there for the citizens who need him. He wouldn't be able to handle the situation.
Sorry Ford...you have lost all credibility as a mayor, a citizen and as man. I can't wait for you to loose..but you have already lost.
Brian replying to a comment from Adam / February 4, 2014 at 09:11 pm
Adam's statements on HIV infection risks for different demographics are true, as are his accounts of why (racism, heterosexism, etc.). In that sense, yes, Rob Ford's statements were also true. However, what makes Ford's statements homophobic and otherwise problematic were the context in which he said them -- basically, we shouldn't care about HIV/AIDS because gays and drug users are bad people undeserving of support or attention (the latter part we now know to be rather ironic). There's a big difference between "these groups are at risk so let's develop targeted programs to help get to the root causes of those risks" and "these are the only groups really affected by this issue, so let's not waste any more time or money on it", even though both stem from the same empirically accurate observation.
Miketimes2 / February 4, 2014 at 09:35 pm
I think displaying these on actual building at night, around toronto, would be amazing! YES, NO?
pho / February 4, 2014 at 11:27 pm
People in Downtown are already going to vote for him. If she wanted to be truly poignant she would have put up one of these "billboards" near a bus shelter on Finch Ave. W stating how he wanted to cancel the Finch LRT or how he emptied a full TTC bus to transport his football team.
Marcus replying to a comment from Soren / February 5, 2014 at 12:17 am
Soren...really??? really??? Are you for real???
Marcus replying to a comment from JamesVR / February 5, 2014 at 12:19 am
James VR.....you cant be serious??? Get out...leave....go...please...live somewhere else....seriously...go.
Marcus replying to a comment from Brian / February 5, 2014 at 12:20 am
Brian.....your way of thinking is exactly the reason why this world is in a state of devastation. You are sick with negativity and ought to seriously ask yourself what love means.
Marcus replying to a comment from Brian / February 5, 2014 at 12:25 am
Brian...my sincere apologies...I read your statement as saying gays and drug users being undeserving of support or attention. I feel terribly for the misread, most of the all, the response I gave you!
The fact is, I find it utterly difficult to read comments that support Rob Ford, homophobia, racism and, I have read so many of them....I feel overwhelmed that so many people are in the dark, feeding it with negligence and indifference.
I accept your anger for my first response.
Soren replying to a comment from Marcus / February 5, 2014 at 12:42 am
I guess you (and Katie) didn't understand my comment which is that those are horrible statements that are especially inappropriate coming from the mayor.
Marcus / February 5, 2014 at 01:23 am
I take responsibility for my innappropriate comment to you. I feel utterly pissed about this..not you, this whole thing regarding Rob Ford. I am feeling passionate about so much that, at the same time, I also feel helpless, powerless and all the shit that comes with feeling such.
So, sincere bow to you, Soren. Thank you for having the courage to approach an angry lion.
Gregg / February 5, 2014 at 01:33 am
He will be re-elected. The left may control much of the media and therefore mistakenly believe they are in control, but at the ballot box is where the left's insane desire to control is neutralized.
yee / February 5, 2014 at 02:07 am
Ford lives and breathes for Toronto, is he an alcoholic, probably. Has put an end to incompetent councillors waisting our money? yes. Has he saved the city millions yes. Does he have the best intentions for the city i think so. Is he embarrassing yes but to who?, I dont care. He never wanted to be part of the club. You guys want a docile figurehead, I want an agitator!
Adam replying to a comment from Nick / February 5, 2014 at 03:00 am
Agree with that.
And I admit that my original comment was meant to be a silly quip, taking that quote in isolation. In hindsight, and reality, very little is silly about Rob Ford's homophobia and bigotry. Thanks for adding that layer.
Rose / February 5, 2014 at 03:25 am
I'm glad I no longer live in Toronto. Rob Ford is a true embarrassment to his office and the city. Hopefully sanity will return when he is voted out.
Sandy / February 5, 2014 at 07:14 am
Why perpetuate this? Real or not real why is the artist/designer trying to get exposure on ROBs back?

If a friend tells me a racist joke, and I repeat the joke or post it online who is at fault? Me? My friend? Or both. This artist should be ashamed of putting these statements out there especially without reference to Rob.
Adam replying to a comment from Lindsey / February 5, 2014 at 08:52 am
I don't disagree with you Lindsey. According to stats, Aboriginal folks account for about 7 percent of all people living with HIV. That's too high, and totally unacceptable. Gay men, however, account for 40-50 percent of all those living with HIV. I don't think there's an order of preference. My point is that appropriate investments should be made for all groups who experience a high prevalence and incidence (number of new infections). Investments in prevention for gay men (and Aboriginal folks, and women) are terrible inadequate considering the very high rate of prevalence.
Charo / February 5, 2014 at 09:09 am
A fine video display of "Mayor" Ford's integrity. And you didn't even use some of the finest clips! What scum.
Todd / February 5, 2014 at 09:25 am
Who cares.

He's going to win again in bigoted, divisive, CHEAP new Toronto. No one wants to pay for anything, the multiculturalism thing has always been a great lie and the city is probably more xenophobic and classist than it's ever been, and two radically different philosophies exist in council. This city is fucked, fucked, fucked until a centrist leader smacks us all upside the head or the city is de-amalgamated and Etobicoke and Scarborough come begging for handouts, like they would have done in the 2000s if they weren't amalgamated.
SHCIer / February 5, 2014 at 09:25 am
I went to school with Rob Ford. He is exactly who he was then - a privileged bully who grew up with a lot of money and walked down the halls spouting racist crap with his football buddies. I have friends that are still friends with him and they can't believe the stuff he says about the people that he supposedly represents - i.e. "the little guy". He has nothing but contempt for the most marginalized of our city. So why doesn't "Ford Nation" see him for what he is? He hasn't actually saved Toronto huge bucks if you look at the actual statistics instead of believing every word that comes out of his mouth. It scares me how gullible people are. And just like sheep they will all be led into another term with a dangerous mayer. His comments, his way of being in the world, disgust me.
Graphicjack / February 5, 2014 at 10:44 am
I think all of you Ford enablers are on crack, too. First, you believe that he's saved "millions" but that has been proven time and again to be a lie... But it sure sounds great so let's keep spreading the lie, right? Also, the idea that he's somehow "cleaned up" city hall from corrupt councillors is pretty ironic. It's clear he's pretty corrupt when he drinks and takes crack on the job, hits in female staff, picks up suspicious envelopes at gas stations... How can you think he's NOT corrupt? How much more evidence do you need?

Secondly, yes gay men and drug users, among others are high risk, but to say that if ou are not either of these groups means you won't get AIDS, is seriously ignorant and dangerous. Of course you can still get AIDS even if you are not an at-risk group. And as others have pointed out, the homophobia comes in when it's implied that AIDS isn't anything we need to worry about because those at-risk people are expendable, in his opinion. Since he was elected to represent ALL of the citizens of Toronto, that's an irresponsible, callous and basically evil statement. Lastly, while many of you are enabling Fraud by saying, well it's true these people are at-risk, no one is analysing WHY these groups are at risk. Because of homophobia, many gay men do risky behaviour because they have been rejected by society... Yet feel they don't deserve to be happy and they do risky things because they feel less than human. If you think gay marriage has eliminated homophobia, you are willfully naive. Gay men are at higher risk of smoking, drug use, and risky sex behaviours. Instead of blaming the victim, people need to understand the root causes of these issues... Just WHY do some gay men do self-destructive behaviours? Were they rejected by their families? Kicked out of their homes? Bullied mercilously by fellow students? Gay men and women are also high risk for suicide attempts? Why? Because of homophobia. Does Fraud understand any of this? Does he care? Clearly not. As a mayor, he should be protecting ALL of his citizens, not just the fools that keep voting for him. Oh, and yes, calling Asian people "oriental" and comparing them to dogs is racist. The reason "orientation" is offensive is that the word means "strange, exotic" and has nothing to do with origin and nationality. Has there even been a country called "Orient"? No, but Asia is a continent, which is why it's more acceptable. Anyone who does even the least bit of sensitivity training would know this. You would think by the number if times he's put his foot in his mouth, somebody on his staff would have told him to get some help and advice on these issues, instead of looking like an ignorant racist. The fact that he sees nothing wrong with these statements, and the fact that his enablers don't either, is pretty chilling. I think it speaks to a very selfish, ignorant voter base and Toronto ( the non-cracky city) should be very worried. Get out and vote... Him out.
Dubs / February 5, 2014 at 11:15 am
I have never, nor will never be a supporter of Rob FOrd. I think he's appalling. I also think running an art exhibit to emphasize the fact that hes appalling is going to back-fire. Theres no better fodder for the tea-party tactics of Ford Nation organizers. This is the problem with this city. Foolish reactionary, polarizing bullshit.
Idiocracy / February 5, 2014 at 11:57 am
How exactly is a Mayor under active investigation from the police even running for office? No other municipality in North America would tolerate this. Insane.
The Baron replying to a comment from 79 / February 5, 2014 at 01:16 pm
Don't vote, please. Also, don't have kids, please.
Jeff / February 5, 2014 at 01:24 pm
Rob Ford Facebook Look Back!!!!!

Jon / February 5, 2014 at 01:35 pm
Hey everyone, If you're intersted in not having RoFo re-elected this year... join my new action group campaign called 'RoFo Calls'. Together we can stop Rob Ford from getting re-elected again.

The name is called RoFo Calls to poke fun at the fact that he's a Conservative and that he is constantly bragging about returning calls to 'his' people.

I'm looking for people for join this movement and provide resources. I would like to get an Indiegogo campaign going to raise funds, but I'd need a video for it and a copy writer to make some amazing copy. Also anyone who can give legal advice would be awesome as well. Maybe some marketers as well?
Tony replying to a comment from Jon / February 5, 2014 at 01:47 pm
I thought y'all thought it was a definite that he wasn't getting elected this year? Shouldn't you spend your time, energy and resources focusing on supporting the winner/best candidate and not the so called loser?

Has your side you lost your confidence because no other real candidates have stepped forward?
King Rob Ford / February 5, 2014 at 02:47 pm
I'm investigating the police. Smack! Smack!(Me kissing myself).
broheim / February 5, 2014 at 02:58 pm
Hey stoopidy pooopidy,

Typically, people who are running for mayor don't step forward so quickly (Ford himself didn't enter the last race until March). So parroting the Ford Nation line isn't going to make it any more likely that Mayor Dumbdumb is going to get re-elected.
Reality Check / February 5, 2014 at 03:10 pm
I wish people would stop looking at politician's personal lives as an account of their policies.

If he runs the city well, great. If not, elect someone else. But, there are many CEO's, prime ministers, presidents, premieres, and other powerful individuals with many (or only a few) dirty secrets. His being open to the public and having very little discretion does not necessarily make him worse.

Please, critique his policy, not his personal life.
Daniel / February 5, 2014 at 04:09 pm
What he does and say on his own time shouldn't be held against him.
Daniel/reality check / February 5, 2014 at 04:29 pm
Are both the products of a 'relationwhip' 'tween me & my sis Kathy. Must 'a been one of our drunken/drug addled stupors, cuz neither of us remember a thing. Curse DNA tests! But that's OK...private lives, natch!!
Rob/Kathy / February 5, 2014 at 04:30 pm
Super Dooper Sore-eeeeeeee!
Al Capone / February 5, 2014 at 04:32 pm
It 'twas my private life too!
Woody Allen / February 5, 2014 at 04:32 pm
Mine too!
40,000 priests / February 5, 2014 at 04:33 pm
Private Lives!
Quisling/Mata hari/adoph hitler / February 5, 2014 at 04:35 pm
Private!
Riche V. / February 5, 2014 at 05:04 pm
It finishing on the subway chime was a nice touch.
Enola Gay Pilot / February 5, 2014 at 05:32 pm
Who I drop nuclear bombs on is my private life!
Sandro Lisi / February 5, 2014 at 05:33 pm
Private!
Watergate burglars / February 5, 2014 at 05:33 pm
Private!
Gay Cyclist / February 5, 2014 at 05:59 pm
I am both gay and a cyclist. I love Toronto but am terrified about the future of this great city. I value Ford's word as much as I value a discontinued tarnished penny. I can't even really listen to him or look at him......I no longer want an obese, racist drug addict alcoholic as a mayor....is that too much to ask?
post-ford downtowner / February 5, 2014 at 08:03 pm
Seems to be preaching to the converted (downtowners) in the placement of the ads.

How will it win over those in the suburbs who appear to believe in him? Every attack on him they understand as a personal vilification.

We need much better rhetorical strategies to sweep him out of popular consciousness and power.
jannxx / February 5, 2014 at 08:48 pm
these responses defending "the shit Rob Ford says" is depressing I hope he gets hold of your brothers, sisters, elderly parents and children
funboi replying to a comment from 79 / February 5, 2014 at 09:31 pm
79 you must be joking? you make me sick, really you do. go find something else to comment on if you think he wasnt being homophobic or racist because youre one of the people that are making this city an even shittier place to live.
Mark / February 5, 2014 at 10:31 pm
Removing comments that might bring bad news and unwanted facts to your gay and/or drug addled readers isn't helping anyone Blogto. Hiding the truth doesn't make it go away. In fact it might save their lives.
Mark is my illegitimate son by a close relative / February 5, 2014 at 11:10 pm
Both Fords involved are of subnormal IQ, so poor Mark is a douchebag.
Frank / February 5, 2014 at 11:21 pm
I'll vote for whoever builds more subways instead of streetcars.
Barry replying to a comment from Adam / February 6, 2014 at 12:06 am
Adam and Mark, your both idiots.
100%Straight / February 6, 2014 at 06:06 am
Ford more years!!!
100%stupid, 100%straight / February 6, 2014 at 06:22 am
Ford less years!!!
Mark / February 6, 2014 at 09:55 am
When facts are rebutted with personal insults and attacks it doesn't change the facts.
j.randal dancing replying to a comment from Dean / February 6, 2014 at 04:42 pm
He will be re-elected. This is Canada and it would be mean spirited to not re-elect him after all the mean things that have been said about him. Not only will Canadians re-elect him as mayor, they will elect him Prime Minister at the next general election. this is Canada. They don't do mean things to people.
F--d Less Years! / February 7, 2014 at 02:07 pm
R-b F--d is a human(?) swear word.
Clidna / February 11, 2014 at 08:58 am
I can't believe the number of people defending this idiot's actions. Newsflash, folks - if your mayor can't keep his head out of the booze and drugs during his "private time", he's not going to be making sound decisions during his "mayor time". Whether you think he's being picked on or not, his actions deem him unfit to hold office - I cannot believe that so many of you are comfortable having someone with such complete lack of self-control running your city! Not to mention that you believe every word he spews - it's been proven many times that his awesome money-saving tactics are actually in his head - he HASN'T saved the city millions. Do the research, and don't just believe everything that falls out of his mouth, particularly since a good chunk of it seems to be racist and homophobic.
John Carstairs / March 31, 2014 at 03:23 pm
By repeatedly putting himself in compromising positions, Rob Ford is, at best, a fool. Any Torontonian who votes for him is also a fool. Each vote endorses Ford's foul-mouthed, racist, lying, drunken, criminal-associating behaviour. If he's voted back into office he will interpret that as license to keep on doing what he has done in the past, possibly to a greater degree. Excise the cancer now before it spreads.
TheBigWait replying to a comment from Graphicjack / April 18, 2014 at 07:32 pm
I mostly vote for Ford simply to chap the asses of people like you.