Thursday, October 23, 2014Sunny 10°C

Rob Ford demands Pride flag be removed from City Hall

Posted by Chris Bateman / February 7, 2014

toronto rob fordRob Ford has asked the city manager to take down a Pride flag that was raised this morning at City Hall in solidarity with gay athletes at the Sochi Olympics.

"This is about the Olympics, this is about being patriotic to your country," Ford said. "This is not about sexual preference." The mayor says he wants it replaced with a Canadian flag.

The rainbow flag was installed on the courtesy flagpole outside City Hall with the help of Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly. The pole is reserved for flags that promote "activities such as fund-raising drives, multi-cultural events and national or independence days," according to the city website.

Toronto non-profit 519 Church Street Community Centre requested the flag-raising at the suggestion of Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam.

Kelly called the Pride flag "a statement that we're not afraid to stand up for the rights and privileges that are being abused in other parts of the world."

"So there's nothing un-Canadian about that," he said. "In fact that's a very Canadian thing to do to be concerned and care about others."

Yesterday, Ford said he wouldn't be attending World Pride in Toronto this summer. "I've never gone to a Pride parade. So I'm not going to change the way I am," he said.

Right now the flag is still flying, as it is at other city halls elsewhere in Canada. Ford, meanwhile, has put up a Canadian flag in his office window.

UPDATE: 13:58: The CBC's Jamie Strashin reports on Twitter that the mayor has graciously allowed the flag to remain following a meeting with Councillor Anthony Perruzza, just as long as it's accompanied by a Canadian flag.

UPDATE: 15:00: Two uniformed police officers are in Ford's office this afternoon following a "threat" received by the mayor, according to Katie Simpson on CP24. The nature of the threat hasn't been made public.

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Image: Chris Bateman/blogTO.

Quality is job none / February 7, 2014 at 01:40 pm
Robbie show his true colours once again....
mike in parkdale / February 7, 2014 at 01:42 pm
astounding. absolutely astounding.
brawk / February 7, 2014 at 01:46 pm
Can this guy not go just 1 fucking day without looking like a huge asshole?
James / February 7, 2014 at 01:48 pm
It should be a Canadian Flag that represents us all. Are our athletes wearing rainbow colors or red and white? A rainbow flag at city hall does not represent me.
mike in parkdale II / February 7, 2014 at 01:49 pm
disgusting. absolutely disgusting.
Malcolm / February 7, 2014 at 01:58 pm
he wants a flag removed, I want this tub of shit removed from office, preferably in handcuffs.
The name R-b F--d should never be typed again / February 7, 2014 at 01:58 pm
He(it?) is an obscenity.
Joshh replying to a comment from James / February 7, 2014 at 01:59 pm
You're right, it doesn't represent you. It represents those from Canada and the rest of the world who risk persecution by the Russian government for their simple right to exist and participate in the Sochi games.
andy replying to a comment from James / February 7, 2014 at 02:02 pm
I think you're missing the point here.
vince / February 7, 2014 at 02:02 pm
@james, not too accepting of other's are we now? Why are people like you, james, and rob ford so bothered by this? How many days of the year does the canadian flag fly? Are you really that bitter over a simple flag raising?
kim / February 7, 2014 at 02:04 pm
James - there are multiple Canadian flags currently flying at city hall. You are being represented, how about you let others be represented as well?
Franco / February 7, 2014 at 02:04 pm
TORONTO / February 7, 2014 at 02:06 pm
I DEMAND THAT THIS IDIOT BE REMOVED FROM CITY HALL
Evan / February 7, 2014 at 02:06 pm
James, if sticking up for marginalized groups in the face of overwhelming oppression doesn't relate to you, then you don't deserve representation. Abstaining from pride events, smoking crack, and being a general dick is one thing, but trying to squash a display of support for those that need it is truly despicable. In my books, this is the most offensive thing I've ever heard about Rob Ford.
Sadie / February 7, 2014 at 02:06 pm
I can't say I'm very shocked, but I'm truly appalled. Did he even know what city he was signing up to represent when he ran for mayoral candidacy of Toronto?!

What a disgusting man. So help me god, if he gets re-elected...
Caroline / February 7, 2014 at 02:07 pm
Rob Ford has NO IDEA what it means to even be Canadian. He shouldn't even be allowed to won a Canadian flag. Canada is a nation built upon the values of tolerance, acceptance and the celebration of ALL of its people and their differences. When he understands that and only then, should be able to have a Canadian flag.
Neil McIntyre replying to a comment from James / February 7, 2014 at 02:07 pm
James - Here's all the other flag-raisings at City Hall. Please let us know which others didn't represent you.

Bobo / February 7, 2014 at 02:09 pm
Ford does not have the mental capacity to understand that the theme of the rainbow flag is not about "sexual preference", as he puts it. Rather, it represents human rights, equality, unity and freedom.

I find this type of behaviour more disgraceful than his other antics. Speaking of unity, we must come together to remove him from office as soon as possible.
Caroline replying to a comment from Caroline / February 7, 2014 at 02:10 pm
*own a Canadian flag. Not won a Canadian flag.
Andrea / February 7, 2014 at 02:13 pm
And just after I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt in the article about him not attending World Pride. Foolish me.
MJE / February 7, 2014 at 02:13 pm
I bet he wasn't happy when he went to search with google this morning.

I bet he's being an extra special asshole lately because he not making the Daily Show or Jimmy Kimmel with the same frequency.
Pat Roy / February 7, 2014 at 02:14 pm
wow, i usually defend his stupidity to stir the pot (no pun intended), but he's such a redneck. it's not so much that he's an embarrassment to the city as he just seems like a small-minded turd. he is literally hiding behind the Canadian flag so he can push his homophobia. he is using nationalism and Canadiana to justify his sheltered nature. he reminds me of the Americans who freaked out on Twitter over Coke's super bowl spot -- "In a America, we speak American!" blah blah blah.

Dear Mayor Ford: just overdose already.
James / February 7, 2014 at 02:15 pm
Does the IOC and the COC represent the gay community? They have done nothing and allowed this to happen. The statement the COC has given is that the Olympics is not the place for politics or protests basically the same statement as Ford.
B. Ross Ashley / February 7, 2014 at 02:15 pm
If I were the Mayor ... I'd raise a Circassian flag as well. Recognising the people who really owned that stolen land. Like this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Circassian_flag.svg
Common-sense K@ / February 7, 2014 at 02:17 pm
"True friends stab you in the front." ~ Oscar Wilde. Think "long game", people. This sorry piece of human wreckage is doing everyone a HUGE favour by being honest about his hatefulness and ignorance. Have patience. Given enough time he WILL implode, one way or another, and sink right back into the obscurity that ultimately protects us all from him and his havoc-wreaking kind. (Lookin' right at you too, there, Dougie... ;-)
Lorraine Harrietha replying to a comment from brawk / February 7, 2014 at 02:18 pm
I really believe RoFo loves negative attention to himself! He is such a loser!
James / February 7, 2014 at 02:20 pm
Most in the gay community that I know aren't supporting the Olympics this year at all. They refuse to watch, wear, or listen to anything Olympics. The IOC should have done more to defend/support the gay community. Rob was at the Pride Flag raising last year.
anthony replying to a comment from James / February 7, 2014 at 02:20 pm
Having trouble following the story James?
I know its hard when your vision is blurred by anger and hate and your mind is closed to things that aren't they way you think they should be. But for your benefit, I will map it out for you if you haven't got lost with all the words yet.
The Pride flag is not replacing the Canadian Flag. It is lifted on a pole that other flags that are not the Canadian Flags are lifted in support of causes/concerns including: Alzheimer Awareness Day,Flag of Saint Lucia,The Salvation Army Red Shield Flag,National Survivors of Suicide Day,Movember Flag, Raising,Ontario Lung Association just to name a few. None of which did RoFo ask to be taken down. But knowing that he has the angry small minded voting population in his back pocket no matter how absurd he becomes, he is just waving the flames of the fire.
Tony / February 7, 2014 at 02:25 pm
Your right, Rob was at the Pride flag raising for last years pride week when it was for actual pride not for the Olympics...

Jim replying to a comment from Common-sense K@ / February 7, 2014 at 02:27 pm
Sadly, I believe the majority of torontonians are devoid of any real common sense. Rob Ford knows this and he's not as stupid as he looks. He knows who WILL and WONT vote for him. I believe he's posturing and it's simple strategy on his part to win back votes from simple minded voters with closed minded views.
jOHN / February 7, 2014 at 02:28 pm
So it is a touchy subject, and I am all for gay rights, but is it necessary for homosexuals to feel represented in a time like this, anymore than any other group of people who feel they been disrespected or undermined, (class, racial or ethnic). We all know about Rob and his participation on Gay Pride, but I think the problem is becoming more personal and should be more focus on the Kind of pride we should be feeling right now.
Mike / February 7, 2014 at 02:29 pm
I am sure he wouldn't have an issue flying a flag with a glazed ham on it though.

James / February 7, 2014 at 02:29 pm
Thanks for knowing all about me and sterotyping me, We all have to learn to live with those with differences in opinion than are own. Its not a crime to not believe in something or to hate something or someone. Again its so terrible when Rob does it - why aren't you screaming mad at the COC and the IOC?
Franco replying to a comment from Tony / February 7, 2014 at 02:32 pm
He was there last year for optics only, during a period where he was receiving a lot of bad publicity.
alex downtown replying to a comment from James / February 7, 2014 at 02:36 pm
The Rainbow Flag is a symbol of diversity. It's the spectrum of colours that compose light. You don't have to be gay to identify with it. You are part of that diversity. It's about inclusion and tolerance. Also, it, along with the UN and Olympic flags, is one that transcends national boundaries. It's a world-wide symbol.
mike / February 7, 2014 at 02:36 pm
Wow! there really is no end to this guy.
what a creep.
mike replying to a comment from Franco / February 7, 2014 at 02:37 pm
That's riiiiiiiiiiight!
Evan / February 7, 2014 at 02:37 pm
James, trying to affect public policy based on hate is wrong. Red herring arguments are invalid.
mike replying to a comment from jOHN / February 7, 2014 at 02:38 pm
I can't believe you just thought and typed that out.
friendly giant / February 7, 2014 at 02:39 pm
Just as Stockwell Day was once asked to change his first name to Doris via a 1,000,000 signature petition, R-b F--d should be asked his name to 'Tub 'o Shit'.
Josh replying to a comment from jOHN / February 7, 2014 at 02:41 pm
"So it is a touchy subject, and I am all for gay rights, but is it necessary for homosexuals to feel represented in a time like this..."

Yes. Yes it is.
Pat Roy / February 7, 2014 at 02:41 pm
@James

the Olympics are happening now. Putin, the leader of the country hosting the Olympics, has made a huge issue over the rights and freedoms of those who are LGBT. the raising of the flag at city hall, as well as Google's current search page, is about the relevance created by the Olympics and a response of solidarity for those who feel their rights are being trampled.

This has nothing to do with the COC or IOC. But keep taking comfort in hiding behind official this and official that with Rob, and thinking this is about politics and policy--you're awesome.
Danny / February 7, 2014 at 02:46 pm
Ya I dunno, I really prefer Burger's priest to Five Guys or P&L, their meat is jucier and and I leave more full, Burgernator is straight up fail, never going back. Toronto generally sucks for burgers other than these spots.
Mike / February 7, 2014 at 02:47 pm
Ford is the Miley Cyrus of politics. Loves to be in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons.
Whaaa...? replying to a comment from TORONTO / February 7, 2014 at 02:48 pm
Make sure you vote in the next municipal election...
Common-sense K@ replying to a comment from Jim / February 7, 2014 at 02:49 pm
Agree, Jim...though I have a little more optimism about the amount of common-sense out there among my fellow Torontonians. As for the divide-and-conquer strategy, agree absolutely! (Though I have to admit, I almost -- almost! -- respect the guy for actually owning his true feelings here. It's a lot more than I often get from my fellow "lefties" when it comes to copping to their true inner tyrants when confronted with anyone who disagrees...!) But, yes, the not-so-fabulous Ford Bros. & Co. have taken a page right out of the far-right-Republican/Tea Party playbooks of our neighbours to the south. And just look at the discourse on this thread to see how that divisiveness plays out! Leaves a really bad taste and am truly hoping all "sides" have had more than their fill come election time. But regardless of what plays out in the long run, what I love about a democratic system is that it's always ultimately good at self-cleansing -- even if it doesn't happen as quickly as some of us would hope. So, fingers crossed. And on it goes...
Jatchua replying to a comment from jOHN / February 7, 2014 at 02:49 pm
Are you really that close minded that you are unable to see that in times like these are precisely the time to stand together and express our beliefs.
Nigel / February 7, 2014 at 02:51 pm
I guess this means Doug was lying when he said Rob isn't homophobic.
$EAN MONEY replying to a comment from Danny / February 7, 2014 at 02:52 pm
APACHE BURGER WEST END HAS TEH BEST BURGERS YOU ARES AN IDIOT
Josh / February 7, 2014 at 02:53 pm
Who's trying to effect public policy based on hate? Marriage at City Hall is for everyone, PRIDE week received $140,000 funding from city hall for 2014.
jOHN replying to a comment from Josh / February 7, 2014 at 02:55 pm
I don't mind that it gets attention, specially considering Russian views on the subject, but there are other groups being discriminated today in the world that should also get attention, So if we raise the flag on that subject then should we not also raise other flags.
Dave / February 7, 2014 at 02:58 pm
Removing a flag doesn't mean he's homophobic. He was surprised why it was there then it was questioned.

I came out of my house once and found someone had put an Electric Trains sign on my front yard. While I'm all for the Airport Express train line being electric I removed the sign.
Sammy / February 7, 2014 at 03:01 pm
Agreed to some there are much bigger issues in the world than what Putin or Ford feel about sexuality.
The Shakes / February 7, 2014 at 03:02 pm
This is clearly a campaign move on his part. His whole success has been based on creating a wedge issue and then pandering to the ignoramuses that fall to the right side of the divide. He is like the Pied Piper of the Stupid. He knows many of his loyalist will blindly and instinctively be cheering him on for sticking it to what they see as the left side of the divide.
annie replying to a comment from Quality is job none / February 7, 2014 at 03:02 pm
he has no colours except black and white he is colour blind and stupid!
Jeff / February 7, 2014 at 03:06 pm
Yes Rob was trying to cut some of the gravy from Pride, Tiff and the Symphony last year, so what?

I think you don't realize that the world isn't as diverse and accepting as we'd like to hope and wish that it is.
SINS / February 7, 2014 at 03:09 pm
http://www.buzzfeed.com/maycie/canadas-response-to-russias-russias-anti-lgbt-propaganda-law?s=mobileHa Ha Ha the games have always been gay. ha Ha

Franco replying to a comment from Jeff / February 7, 2014 at 03:10 pm
Huh? I think we're all well aware of that. Hence, the outrage.
update / February 7, 2014 at 03:13 pm
UPDATE: 1:58: The CBC's Jamie Strashin reports on Twitter that the mayor has graciously allowed the flag to remain following a meeting with Councillor Anthony Perruzza, just as long as it's accompanied by a Canadian flag.

ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED - Close the commenting and bring on the next Ford story!!!
vanessa / February 7, 2014 at 03:14 pm
Canada has always been about diversity and acceptance. I personally don't think the rainbow flag at City Hall is a issue.
Stan / February 7, 2014 at 03:17 pm
Wow he changed his mind - who says you can't teach a fat old dog new tricks!! This is big win! Way to go Rob evolving into a better man before our very eyes. Applause!

He dreams in color, he dreams in red.
Can't find a better man,
Ford in 2014!
GABE / February 7, 2014 at 03:20 pm
Canada has liked to think its about diversity and acceptance but there are still hate crimes happening everyday, were still getting involved in wars. People are still being arrested for protesting.
The Legend / February 7, 2014 at 03:22 pm
I re-elect Rob Ford in a heartbeat. Greatest mayor Toronto has ever had. Enough with all the crying about a flag. This is Canada, the Canadian flag should fly.
R-b 'Tub 'o Shit F--d / February 7, 2014 at 03:22 pm
Apache Burger doesn't put enuf smegma in its meat for me.
GRBY / February 7, 2014 at 03:23 pm
Dear Rob Ford:

You're an ignorant, crack smoking, dim witted, borderline illiterate, (possible murder) simpleton. Please step down and stop embarrassing Toronto.
Franco replying to a comment from The Legend / February 7, 2014 at 03:24 pm
You might want to construct a coherent first sentence first though.
R-b 'Tub 'o Shit F--d / February 7, 2014 at 03:25 pm
Four Less Years! So leave me alone already so I can fry myself in a lard-filled bathtub.
The Legend replying to a comment from Franco / February 7, 2014 at 03:26 pm
*I'd

Are you happy now grammar police?
James / February 7, 2014 at 03:26 pm
Hey Pat Roy - while I understand the raising of the flag and googles search page my point is nothing has changed for the actual Olympics which is where the issue really is. The IOC specifically could have affected change for the games instead protests aren't welcome keep the games quiet and peaceful and sweep the issue under the rug while were here.
ellietown / February 7, 2014 at 03:27 pm
"Yes I smoked crack" R. Ford
"In one of my drunken stupors" R. Ford
"I am not going to change the way I am" R. Ford
hrmmmmmmm, as Bubbles-a true Canadian patriot- would say, "a shit leopard cant change his shit spots, Ricky".
readingizhrd replying to a comment from James / February 7, 2014 at 03:27 pm
Kindly read the article. There is a Canadian flag there, but beside it on a separate flagpole there is a courtesy pole for community events/other causes i.e. they would put up the RCAF flag if the Air Force was having a parade or if our sister city's mayor came we might put up their country's flag.

I guess you're the special breed of idiot who has poor reading comprehension and won't change the way you are either. It'll be sad for you when Ford nation crumbles and the stay puffed marshmallow mayor is voted out of office.

"So I'm not going to change the way I am" which is why he started drinking again, and lying again...
The Legend replying to a comment from R-b 'Tub 'o Shit F--d / February 7, 2014 at 03:27 pm
Rob Ford will win the next election. Guaranteed.

Ford more years!!
readingizhrd replying to a comment from The Legend / February 7, 2014 at 03:28 pm
See my comment above moron, there is a Canadian flag there.

Again, herp a derp read the article.
Donna / February 7, 2014 at 03:29 pm
The world is watching the games where all our athletes should have rainbow flags on the uniforms if we're really cared,The world is not watching the Flag at city hall the world is watching Sochi.
Kristie / February 7, 2014 at 03:31 pm
This is a time to be patriotic. I don't care whether someone is straight, gay, or something else. This is a time to show that you are proud to live in a free country and to cheer on your fellows Canadians that will partake in the Olympics. Put your sexuality aside and think about your country! Not everything has to be about diversity! Same thing goes for the pride parade- that was on Canada Day, which is very disrespectful! Canada is not about what sexuality you are, it's about celebrating your country!!!
Sam / February 7, 2014 at 03:33 pm
Its funny how READINGIZHARD is coming across as an angry close minded name calling jerk because some one doesn't have the same point of view or a different understanding of the situation then themselves. Talk about ignorant.
The Legend replying to a comment from readingizhrd / February 7, 2014 at 03:33 pm
Ford Nation will live on. The stay puffed marshmallow mayor has done a way better job then all the previous mayors before him. And if you think differently about that, then it looks like you are the herp a derp.
Really? / February 7, 2014 at 03:34 pm
Methinks thou dost protest too much.
The Legend replying to a comment from Kristie / February 7, 2014 at 03:36 pm
Amen to that!
Sarah / February 7, 2014 at 03:39 pm
Its the Olympics, sexualiy is a footnote in the whole thing. You know what you can do if you want to support the gay community? Go to Pride Week, the turn out better be massive this year if your all supporting, donate money to pride week its always indebt every year.

The Gay community gets massive support in Canada. Everyone's focused on Russia BUT most of the countries competing in the games don't have pro gay laws or allow gay marriage.
Straight shooter replying to a comment from Franco / February 7, 2014 at 03:40 pm
"A rainbow flag represents all Canadians because it stands for inclusion, tolerance and diversity. " WTF!!! Being a Canadian has nothing to do with sexual orientation, which has nothing to do with inclusion, tolerance and diversity.
Dan / February 7, 2014 at 03:41 pm
AGREED! WHAT EXAMPLE IS BEING SET FOR THE WORLD BY THE IOC?
"Everyone's focused on Russia BUT most of the countries competing in the games don't have pro gay laws or allow gay marriage"
GrinTo / February 7, 2014 at 03:43 pm
Such an idiot, no Canadian Flag came down it's the ceremonial flagpole. You think he might know that after 3 years as motor and 10 as a city councillor. But hey he'll be on the international new again for his hijinks.
R-b 'Tub 'o Shit F--d / February 7, 2014 at 03:43 pm
It's F--d 'Tub 'o Shit' Nation!
GrinTo replying to a comment from GrinTo / February 7, 2014 at 03:44 pm
mayor not motor, damn autocorrect!
Karen / February 7, 2014 at 03:45 pm
I am absolutely sickened by his stance!! Just when you think he can't get any worse!!!
Support / February 7, 2014 at 03:46 pm
Hey if Russia got the Olympics this may help our bid to finally host them. Well played Mr. Ford!
iSkyscraper / February 7, 2014 at 03:50 pm
The US media is all over this now that the AP has picked it up. It will go down as one of Ford's stupider moves, since there is not a lot of nuance here to mislead or confuse people. The story makes reference to his behaviour having "embarassed many Canadians". Damned right.

Example of the AP wire:

The Legend replying to a comment from Karen / February 7, 2014 at 03:51 pm
Stop whining. This October he will be back for another 4 years. Ford Nation baby!
matt / February 7, 2014 at 03:59 pm
Here we go again....
Torontonian / February 7, 2014 at 04:01 pm
I agree with Ford on this one. Stop shoving homosexuality up our asses.
Garry / February 7, 2014 at 04:02 pm
This guy has been allowed to Oppress & Embarrass his fellow Canadians for far too long. Can we not just offer him a bag of his favorite candy & draft him as Alcalde de Jaco, Costa Rica ( AKA Disneyland on Crack) and get him off the airwaves forever
Davy Gravy replying to a comment from Franco / February 7, 2014 at 04:03 pm
Hey, if he did that, it would contrast too harshly with his other three sentences.
Garry replying to a comment from The Shakes / February 7, 2014 at 04:05 pm
Surprised he figured it out since he's got 2 RIGHT feed
The Legend replying to a comment from Davy Gravy / February 7, 2014 at 04:06 pm
Shut up fancy boy....lol
jason / February 7, 2014 at 04:11 pm
he may be stupid but boy can he dance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECZn5RIhE7k
Mandy Mellon replying to a comment from James / February 7, 2014 at 04:12 pm
Rainbow flags represent everyone who recognizes that people are people - regardless of their sexual preferences. Who would want to be excluded from that? We all have a responsibility to protect the rights of our peers. It's called SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. Try it, James. It's good for the soul...if you haven't sold yours already.
UberAlles replying to a comment from Ryan / February 7, 2014 at 04:17 pm
On behalf of German's everywhere I'd like to politely request that you spell "Douche" correctly.
Alex replying to a comment from Franco / February 7, 2014 at 04:24 pm
You say it very well! :)
Darby Crash / February 7, 2014 at 04:26 pm
Sue Ann Levy will still kiss his arse.
Bob But Not Doug / February 7, 2014 at 04:27 pm
This is just one example of the military discipline his re-election campaign will exhibit. Last time he had Kouvalis running things. This time it's him, Dougie and a bunch of 20-something interns.
Enough already! / February 7, 2014 at 04:28 pm
I'm tired of the LGBT community shoving their lifestyle in our faces! Putin dosen't give a flying f*ck if there's a rainbow flag hanging in our city hall. You guys actually think this was going to make him change his mind? Not everybody is gay friendly. Glad ford took it down. It's the Canadian Olympic team, NOT team LGBT!
Enough already! / February 7, 2014 at 04:38 pm
Just found out the rainbow flag isn't coming down at all. It has to go!
The Legend replying to a comment from Enough already! / February 7, 2014 at 04:44 pm
Preach on brother! I agree completely with your comment.
OhBrother / February 7, 2014 at 04:44 pm
Gay community all here on blogTO today? Guess you're not supporting our Canadian athletes in Russia today. Opening ceremonies were spectacular.

Kind of odd so many gays here today showing intolerance (in spades) while preaching tolerance. I'm glad Rob said what he said, and I feel the same way too. Thanks for taking the bait and showing the rest of the world just how nasty and hateful you are.

If Rob gets elected again (with more councillors being replaced with Conservatives), my guess is funding for your sex show disguised as a pride parade will be pulled. Think you should use different tactics. You can start with practicing what you preach.

I for one as a taxpayer am tired of funding that farce you call pride parade. I'm also sick of all the gay propaganda. You do know (by way of history) what happens to people who push to hard, don't you?

Think Putin is doing a terrific job for Russia. Wish we had strong backed politicians like that here too.
The Shakes replying to a comment from Common-sense K@ / February 7, 2014 at 04:48 pm
@Jim and Common-sense K@

You've nailed it. Ford's mastered the classic strategy of brain-washing, used by just about every evil leader in history to get weak-minded people to do unscrupulous shit. Basically he divides and turns his side against the other...And repeats...Until his side is so full of hate for the other side that they no longer question and blindly follow whatever bullshit dogma he feeds them. It's how Al Qaida gets once upon a time sane people to strap bombs to themselves, it's how Hitler got rational people to commit genocide and it's also how this human garbage is convincing otherwise rational people to completely overlook the fact that he is a drunken, criminal-associating, crack-smoking, lying, tax-wasting, wife-beating f-ck up. Problem is, it's really hard to shake someone out of it once they're brain-washed to the pont of complete blind stupidity.
The Legend replying to a comment from The Shakes / February 7, 2014 at 04:53 pm
Ford more years! Be ready for it you dumbass :)
R-b 'Tub 'o Shit F--d / February 7, 2014 at 04:59 pm
F--d Less Years!
Rob 'Smegma' Ford / February 7, 2014 at 05:01 pm
Vote Smegma!
DL / February 7, 2014 at 05:07 pm
So I guess we will have the rainbow flag up on Flag Day, eh?
S Piscione / February 7, 2014 at 05:12 pm
They already have a whole week dedicated to them. No need to hang their flag at city hall. What's next the air canada center? Skydome? BMO field? This has nothing to do with our great athletes. I fully support Mr. Ford on this one and on election Day.
Davy Gravy replying to a comment from The Legend / February 7, 2014 at 05:20 pm
Yeah, there's a surprise.
Davy Gravy replying to a comment from Ron Deshawn / February 7, 2014 at 05:21 pm
You're wrong.
God replying to a comment from The Legend / February 7, 2014 at 05:44 pm
Hi dave, my fav. troll.
Blob2.0 / February 7, 2014 at 05:46 pm
Of for the love of... He's trolling. Ignore him. He wants attention and a wedge.
Pete / February 7, 2014 at 06:12 pm
Ford is dead "right".....(at least on this one!)

Olympics are about Sport, and Pride of a Nation. Not gay pride or anything else. It is about Nations coming together.......Period. Sure toleration of LGB is part of our culture, but what has that got to do with the Olympics??

This is purely all media and political agenda's......once again! I am ashamed our Prime Minister is not attending the games, due to the stance that the rest of the world has taken on Russian Culture. So what....they don't stand for it. Who cares.....that is there country and culture. Who are we and the rest of the damn world to condone LGB. As a Canadian, I am tolerant, as well as supportive of LGB.....it is part of our (my) makeup.

If it wasn't for media, and media turning this into a political event, the world would become that much more together which is what we all want. Freedom and Tolerance......

Pushing agendas, only pushes people apart....As does judgement. Who are we to judge Russian Culture? This blemish's Canada.....from Harper on down. Ford, finally, is standing up for his belief's......something the rest of Canada should be doing.

This is about the Olympics.......period. When the hell did a fricken Rainbow Flag, and Gay sexual preference become part of the Olympics??? This is about Canada and National Pride......Gay or Not. Media......Politics......shameful!!!!!!!!!
GrinTo / February 7, 2014 at 06:18 pm
Ford did a great job today solidifying his support. He made it look like a Canadian Flag was removed to put up a Rainbow Flag. The truth that it was the City of Toronto Flag and the Canadian Flag was never changed will fall on deaf ears. Then he had the fake threats story so he could be poor Rob the Victim.
Pete / February 7, 2014 at 06:18 pm
PS to my comment above.........Maybe we turn heterosexual, Gay, Homo, Bashing into a sport then. Then we could fly a rainbow flag at the Olympics. (What a world we live in......wow......just wow)
Tay / February 7, 2014 at 06:42 pm
I agree with Mr. Ford on this one. It does not belong there and really serves no real purpose. I mean, raising a flag will not solve Toronto's traffic problems, raising a flag will not support bike lanes, raising a flag will not fix the world economy. There are SO many other pertinent current issues that could use some attention.

There are so many aspects to life in this day and age, and some people feel free to interject with their sexual orientation. No one really needs to know. I suggest it be removed.
Neil replying to a comment from James / February 7, 2014 at 06:42 pm
I'm with you on this James. People are blowing this out of the water and making it personal. If your feel so strong about it then as an individual put a Rainbow flag up at your house or work. But not at city hall... a building that represents all Canadians. The Canadian flag represents EVERYONE living in Canada. I have nothing against gay people but that flag does not represent me. It should have never gone up!
Tay / February 7, 2014 at 06:43 pm
@Pete, very well said!
uaherp replying to a comment from The Legend / February 7, 2014 at 06:44 pm
Yeah he's smoked way more crack and saved a billion dollars right?
bm replying to a comment from James / February 7, 2014 at 07:24 pm
James: It's not meant to represent you. It's meant to represent solidarity as a Canadian opposing the blatant neglect for human rights in Russia.
James, James, James.
Aaron / February 7, 2014 at 07:25 pm
The spotlight is on Russia but most of the countries completing in the games still don't recognize gay rights or gay marriage. Toronto and Canada are well ahead of the pack regardless what you say about our mayor.
James / February 7, 2014 at 07:29 pm
But there isn't solidarity amoungst Canadians on the issue. So it really doesn't represent much, BUT as long as were trying to make other nations feel that there is and it gives you a warm feeling inside then more power too you.
bm replying to a comment from Dave / February 7, 2014 at 07:30 pm
That's the same thing? A sign on your front lawn and the persecution of people because of who they are and were born to be? Idiot. That's all. Total idiot.
R-b F--d / February 7, 2014 at 07:45 pm
Platform 2014: #1: Legalize Public Urination! Vote4publicpiss!
NameWitheld / February 7, 2014 at 07:46 pm
His inability to use tact is becoming frightening, he could've easily said "I appreciate the millions in revenue Pride brings every year and support the right to attend the event, however I will not be going to Pride Toronto". END. The statement is respectful, concise and displays some politically correctiveness. Everything is not for everyone, but to so blatantly marginalise a group that is already marginalised, not to mention a protected class, is down right idiotic. I hope gay organizations in the city weild their power and money to make a HUGE impact this coming election.
R-b F--d / February 7, 2014 at 07:47 pm
Platform 2014: #2: I will hold public cunnilingus classes in City Hall rotunda! Voteatinginpublic!!
Hmmmm replying to a comment from The Legend / February 7, 2014 at 08:02 pm
You are an imbecile. There are a lot of flags including the Canadian flag posted in front of the city hall. There is a separate flag pole where they put up the flags for special events. Go read a book and do your research before you comment. He is just like his supporters. Troubled, narrow-minded, uninformed, simpletons. Please read a book or something.
killerfoxx replying to a comment from Quality is job none / February 7, 2014 at 08:07 pm
I support gay rights but I dont believe that the Canadian flag should ever be taken down, I have no issue with Pride Parade I do have an issue with it on Canada Day weekend I believe Canada Day should be celebrated on its own
Jason replying to a comment from Pete / February 7, 2014 at 08:08 pm
I'm with Pete's comments above (PS comment)

Make Bashing an Olympic Sport, Rob Ford will be head judge.

Who really gives a rat's ass at the end of the day anyway. The gays will be gay, and the hetero's will be hetero.
CJ Johnston / February 7, 2014 at 08:28 pm
Rob Ford is absolutely correct. I would tell them to remove the rainbow flag in front of city hall. The Olympics is not about politics - it is about the athletes competing to be the best of the best.
the leg end replying to a comment from Enough already! / February 7, 2014 at 08:29 pm
no, it's fatboy and all of you drool cups that have to go. preferably deep in the sun.
the leg end replying to a comment from The Legend / February 7, 2014 at 08:32 pm
what would we have to be ready for? ford more years of uselessness? ford more years of him not showing up for work? ford more years of him making "house calls"? ford more years of drool cups like you prostrating at his feet? ford more years before his heart finally goes supernova and he's left as a bloated dead shitty afterthought?
the leg end replying to a comment from killerfoxx / February 7, 2014 at 08:32 pm
THE CANADIAN FLAG WASN'T TAKEN DOWN YOU IDIOT!!
François / February 7, 2014 at 08:34 pm
I still can't believe that this Toronto Phenomenon (I'm in and from Montreal) is still have a decision voice. But then again, we in Montreal, have Pauline Marois and her sovereignists disciples.... oh yeah, and a bit of Quebec corruption.
the leg end replying to a comment from CJ Johnston / February 7, 2014 at 08:35 pm
you are really naive if you don't believe the olympics are about politics. tool. please die ford nation, just go away...
the leg end replying to a comment from OhBrother / February 7, 2014 at 08:37 pm
and i'm tired of all your taxpayer propaganda. quit shoving it and your asinine stupidity down every body else's throats. if putin was instigating anti taxpayer progroms or jailing hockey players, you wastes of space would be indignant.
Rob Mcguinty / February 7, 2014 at 08:47 pm
I voted for this guy. I can honestly say it's one of the worst mistakes I've ever made......EVER. I'm rather ashamed of myself for not seeing this coming. Sry guys, I blew it.
Jon / February 7, 2014 at 08:54 pm
Hey if we have Olympics and Special Olympics maybe we should create a third for the Gay Olympics....
Todd / February 7, 2014 at 09:03 pm
It was the Canadian Olympic committee and the IOC that stated they wanted no protests and that politics have no place at the games. The IOC stated that athletes can speak freely during press confrences but the could be stripped of mad as if they make political statements during the actual games or at any ceremonies.

Todd / February 7, 2014 at 09:05 pm
Athletes can be stripped of medals if they make political statements during competition or any ceremonies. They can only speak freely during press conferences...
Thom / February 7, 2014 at 09:20 pm
I recognize that people are people and I respect those that are gay BUT don't tell me that the flag represents me because it doesn't I feel nothing when I see that flag. Now that your trying to go for a wider audience if I say I don't want to fly it or don't think it represents me somehow that makes me a homophobe? I have respect for gay people that doesn't mean I go put of my way to be proufd of them or shpw my pride.A flag has nothing to do with my day to day interactions with people no matter what thier sexuality is. This is exactly why the gay village is on the decline, a lot of gay people don't don't want to associate with the movement anymore.
Should I be going out of my way to be extra nice and proud of someone that is of a different ethnicity or should I treat them the same I do everyone else?

Rick / February 7, 2014 at 09:30 pm
What is this gayville? oh wait.....
Remove the flag, I dont care if you are a carpet muncher scissor sister or a deep diving dong hide and seek artist, that flag means absolutely nothing in this world but which way you like to get off.

Think about it queers.
R-b F--d / February 7, 2014 at 09:41 pm
Platform 2014: #3: Crack in everyone's bloodstream - free!
Derek / February 7, 2014 at 09:41 pm
I completely agree with this! The fact that a rainbow flag was put up is PATHETIC. This is a time to support our Canadian athletes. The Olympics is not a time for ridiculous politics. This about a uniting of nations. This flag should be taken down and kept down. I commend Mayor Ford for his public statement in this. My flag has red, white and a maple leaf. And my Canadian flag is the only flag that should be standing high right now. I love Canada! The best of luck to all our athletes. And of course, O Canada! █ ♥ █
R-b F--d / February 7, 2014 at 09:42 pm
Platform 2014: #4: Drunk driving legalized!
Jason / February 7, 2014 at 09:44 pm
Maybe brazilian women, canadian teenagers, russian veterinarians, old people, physically disabled, mentally ill, poor people, white males, Christians, people who believe in God, atheists, agnostics, vegans, vegetarians, dieters, dog lovers, dog fuckers, chicken farmers........ALL NEED THEIR OWN FLAGS.

There are 365 days a year, one day per flag.

I can't believe people are having this argument. Ford did a good thing and spoke what most people won't say because of political correctness. The Olympics are a sport event. Politics takes over when we let it. Get a life.......oops, I mean Flag!!!!!
jewel replying to a comment from James / February 7, 2014 at 09:45 pm
I believe that we should fly our beautiful red and white flag which represents all Canadian People. We are talking about the olympics here! Let's not forget about all of our athletes over in Russia representing and doing their best for Canada. We need to respect what other countries believe in.
R-b F--d / February 7, 2014 at 09:45 pm
Platform 2014: #5: Everbody beats up David McIntyre...and Pam McConnell!
Me / February 7, 2014 at 09:46 pm
I agree with ford on this matter! We are not representing the homosexuals we are representing the country! Sports have nothing to do with sexual preferences"
R-b F--d / February 7, 2014 at 09:48 pm
Platform 2014: #6: Alanna proclaimed head slut of Toronto!
R-b F--d / February 7, 2014 at 09:50 pm
Platform 2014: #7: Eating Contests held every day in the City Hall rotunda!
Ew / February 7, 2014 at 09:51 pm
Our mayor is a troll
R-b F--d / February 7, 2014 at 09:54 pm
Platform 2014: #8 D**g F**d appointed coach of the Leafs and head of Prostitution Toront & Toronto Crack Production.
F--d Less Years! / February 7, 2014 at 09:57 pm
Four More Years @ Warkworth Prison!
the leg end replying to a comment from Rick / February 7, 2014 at 09:58 pm
if there's such a place as taxpayer hell i hope you burn in it you piece of shit. i hope your children grow up to be gay or murder you in your sleep.
the leg end replying to a comment from Me / February 7, 2014 at 09:59 pm
sports only have to do with cheap jingoism and beer sales. mind your own business, keep buying coke and let don cherry be your spirit guide.
the leg end replying to a comment from jewel / February 7, 2014 at 10:01 pm
unless those countries are in the middle east. then we have to bomb the shit out of them and bring them around to our way of thinking, right. idiot.
Mary / February 7, 2014 at 10:16 pm
So what about the doctors in Toronto that won't prescribe birth control because it goes against their religous beliefs. The are government workers but they are allowed to turn away patients and withhold prescriptions because of religious beliefs. It happens every god damn day!
David Crombied / February 7, 2014 at 10:17 pm
Will all gay haters please go home to Etobicoke...and stay there.
Hey Rick! / February 7, 2014 at 10:20 pm
Your hero, the Mayor is A CARPET MUNCHER!
Hey Ew!! / February 7, 2014 at 10:25 pm
Yes, our Mayor IS a troll. Did you just figure that out? He, like his siblings, are deprived deviants in need of long term care and should all be hospitalized in a forensic psychiatric hospital like Penetanguishine.
Oh my / February 7, 2014 at 10:25 pm
You're all ignorant. I see people defending non-hatred, and the acceptance of others,..meanwhile insulting other commenters with horrid terms and without diplomacy--therefore hatred? Essentially, you defeat the purpose. If you want to get through to someone, why do you have to berate them? I disagree with anything Ford says or does, frankly, and find this latest scandal appalling...but I feel like you can state your opinion with a bit of class.
pwitty / February 7, 2014 at 10:52 pm
Good for Rob Ford.
Jane / February 7, 2014 at 11:15 pm
I agree, the world is watching Sochi where Canada should be making its statement but is not. The world is not watching the flag poll at Toronto city hall. Millions of Canadians are showing thier support by buying and wearing Canadian Olympic gear some of which donates money back to our athletes. Are upset that millions of children and schools are waving the Canadian Flag? What is the gay community doing to support our gay athletes? Flying a flag that they'll never see? Thanks a lot, the athletes are over in Russia dealing with this not at city hall. How is the gay community helping our athletes that are in Russia while your home here in safe old Toronto? Fighting for a flag?
Tuli / February 7, 2014 at 11:18 pm
HA HA HA DIVERSITY!! YOU CALL IT WITH A FLAG! ASK A NATIVE CANADIAN INDIAN HOW THEY FEEL ABOUT HOW WONDERFULLY DIVERSE AND ACCEPTING CANADA IS. HA HA HA
Rick replying to a comment from the leg end / February 7, 2014 at 11:19 pm
Yup, more ultra patheticness from the rainbow flag bearers.
Disgusting language from someone that enjoys feces on his member. Actually I wouldn't expect any less from such low life type of "people"

Enjoy your sequins, fruit bowls, purple, and that retarded rainbow flag that should be shat on and burned.
Derek / February 7, 2014 at 11:23 pm
The mayor is a brilliant politician! What do you think is larger in Toronto the gay pride vote, or the Canadian sports pride vote. Your just pawns in the game fuelling the fire.

FORD MORE YEARS!!!
Scott / February 7, 2014 at 11:27 pm
Majority of the countries competing in the games don't support gay rights or gay marriage. The world a big place you need to accept the diverse beliefs of everyone even if they don't agree with you.
Jerome / February 7, 2014 at 11:33 pm
The Canadian Flag should be flying to support the olympics and another Flag should be raised to represent Black History Month. Why is the gay community pissing all over black history month??
Tuli2 / February 7, 2014 at 11:43 pm
Go ask the Native Canadian Indian sleeping outside at Queen and Bathurst tonight how they feel about your diverse and accepting Canada and what your rainbow flag means to them!
Markus / February 7, 2014 at 11:54 pm
█ ♥ █. █ ♥ █. █ ♥ █

Don't worry gays the Canadian Flag is recognized world wide and already represents diversity and that includes you. You dont need to create a secondary flag and try and say its for all Canadians because its not. We all salute the Canadian flag.
Derek / February 8, 2014 at 12:31 am
@Markus: Well said! Its completely true on all accounts.
Manplan / February 8, 2014 at 12:39 am
When things like this http://www.upworthy.com/here-is-the-shocking-footage-of-gay-men-being-beaten-on-camera-in-russia are happening in a country hosting the world, something needs to be said. There are still plenty of Canadian flags flying at NPS. Taking one down and putting up the rainbow is the least we could do to support abused humans in Russia.
Andrew replying to a comment from Manplan / February 8, 2014 at 12:43 am
You should be petitioning the COC and the IOC to take action not a flag pole. ALL eyes are on Sochi.
Andrew replying to a comment from Manplan / February 8, 2014 at 12:45 am
Supporting them while they are being beaten is not helping, we need the IOC and the COC to make it actually stop, its unacceptable!
Andrew replying to a comment from Manplan / February 8, 2014 at 12:48 am
We can support and sit back and say were supporting them while they get beaten, or we can push to make it stop.
Manplan replying to a comment from Andrew / February 8, 2014 at 12:51 am
Why can't we do both? I mean, is it that hard to do both. Why put up a fight against a flag that makes people feel supported? So easy to make people feel supported, why is this such a big deal for you? We can do both.
Andrew / February 8, 2014 at 12:54 am
I never thought of that. We can your right
Linda / February 8, 2014 at 12:59 am
The gay community are making themselves more silent enemies than they realize. Me thinks they protest too much. Governments can change laws but they can't change opinions. The gay community can do themselves a favor by stop calling everyone homophobic who don't agree with them. It creates more resistance to their universal demands for acceptance.
Jess / February 8, 2014 at 01:04 am
FORDS JUST DUMPING MORE CASH INTO THE MEDIA AND ECONOMY. Even this site this is the most traffic/business that its had in a long time! Good for the advertisers good for the Toronto economy! FORD MORE YEARS!!!!

Sorry didn't read your comments - I don't care....
MD / February 8, 2014 at 01:37 am
The gay community is fighting from within and its fabric has never been thinner. The original gay movement does not agree where the movement has gone. For alot of the orgininators gay marriage and gay rights was such a far off goal that they never even had in sight that they still don't accept the new rules or never conceive of ever getting married because it never even existed. I know some gay people that are aren't onboard with the pride movement and feel its evolved into something it was never intended to become. Kind of like hip hop/rap music, it was never supposed to make it this far, and alot of the originators don't agree that the music has evolved into gangster pop music.
jb replying to a comment from MD / February 8, 2014 at 02:33 am
You are full of shit MD
Davy Gravy replying to a comment from Ron Deshawn / February 8, 2014 at 03:09 am
Wrong again. I'm detecting a pattern here.
Davy Gravy replying to a comment from Oh my / February 8, 2014 at 03:15 am
If you want to read opinions "with a bit of class" it's probably best to stay away from the internet entirely.
pwitty / February 8, 2014 at 04:06 am
Rob Ford is correct in his actions. The Olympics are about sports competition. Politics and agendas should not be introduced into the Olympics. Support the Canadian team as a whole, not some minority group with a agenda. Remember the controversy when America and Russia boycotted each others Olympics.
Cool hand replying to a comment from Tay / February 8, 2014 at 05:06 am
Raising that flag signifies that this community recognizes that there is a wrong being done to the LGBT people of Russia. People like James and Tay are so consumed by their own little lives that they don't care that others are denied basic human rights and even tortured and murdered because of their sexuality. To deny it's significance is to be complicit in this crime against humanity. And I'm not exaggerating. You have probably already disowned the "different" people in your own families. You probably also voted for this callous homophobe just to save yourself a few tax dollars.( He was not the only fiscally conservative on the ballot). So keep your empty heart and loaded wallet out of this because this has absolutely nothing to do with you. It costs you nothing and does not affect your life in any way whatsoever. Your "opinion" only exacerbates the pain and suffering of the oppressed. I will surmise, however, that it likely made you feel better to get it off your chest and tell "those gays" what you really think. Small, very small.
randy replying to a comment from James / February 8, 2014 at 05:10 am
you said it James, the Olympic Games should be about supporting the athletes of your country and bringing countries together, not about whether or not a gay person is proud of themselves for being openly gay, or to make their statement to countries that haven't excepted their lifestyle yet.
Sandy / February 8, 2014 at 06:44 am
How about them open ceremonies? WOW loved it.
R-b 'Tub 'o Shit F--d / February 8, 2014 at 07:09 am
I'm gonna win gold in the tub 'o shit category!
steve replying to a comment from James / February 8, 2014 at 07:21 am
You might want to read the article, particularly the part that explains the explicit purpose of the flagpole. It is not one used for the Canadian flag. There is clearly another one for said purpose elsewhere at city hall.
steve replying to a comment from randy / February 8, 2014 at 07:27 am
It isn't a lifestyle. That implies they have a choice in the matter. Additionally, what kind of message would it send to gay, Canadian athletes if we said nothing in the face of discriminatory policies in the host nation. Really, how does it impede you, or anyone else to hoist a flag in solidarity? The answer is it doesn't. And it could very well make a world of difference for those both at home and abroad. Sit down, shut up, and deal with the fact that the overwhelming majority of Canadians want to support our athletes irrespective of sexual orientation.
Irwin mimico / February 8, 2014 at 07:34 am
Yesterday's 680news poll was should the rainbow flag stay up? 68% of the people in our great city said NO! Our city has spoken. Take down the flag and leave Mr. Ford alone. Ford More Years!
W. K. Lis / February 8, 2014 at 08:13 am
The rainbow flag is on a pole in a corner of Nathan Phillips Square. That pole used for special purposes, usually flying the Toronto flag but can be replaced on request.

There is a tall, BIG Canadian flag in the square itself, BIGGER than any other flag in the square. That flag is NEVER replaced by a non-Canadian flag.
Lulz / February 8, 2014 at 08:59 am
MD thinks he is an authority. That is fucking hilarious. According to what sources exactly? He thinks he has his finger on some type of pulse. I have so many questions for him
BlackHistory / February 8, 2014 at 09:01 am
Its Black History month, the flag should be in support of black history not pride. I'm sure you'll make sure the pride flag is up during world pride week. Let's let black history be supported during Black History month. Toll have plenty of time to discuss gay issues during pride week when more eyes on on Toronto for pride. Right now all eyes on on Sochi not the flag pole at Torontos city hall.
Sauga / February 8, 2014 at 09:07 am
I agree with Ford all the way.
Tony / February 8, 2014 at 09:09 am
I hope the gay community spends that $140,000 they received from city hall for pride week on actual social change and awareness of these issue and not just on a nude sex fest parade. Cover yourself in glitter paint and flapping your cock around does nothing but annoy and does not spread challenge or change.
The leg end replying to a comment from Rick / February 8, 2014 at 09:43 am
A typical response from a UFC watching, wife beating, drunk neo nazi. Our country's flag has been tarnishrd by turds like you, the fords and the harper gang. Screw you, taxpayer.
Sauga II / February 8, 2014 at 09:44 am
I agree with Ford that he should lie about his incoherent public drunkeness in Vancouver, his 'activities' in the single stall washroom with Sandro for 90 minutes, his illegal drinking after hours, his hiding of all this and more.
The leg end replying to a comment from Irwin mimico / February 8, 2014 at 09:44 am
A 680 news poll you say? No evidence of bias there I can imagine.
Sauga II / February 8, 2014 at 09:49 am
I would also like to know if Ford has used good business sense in the money spent on drugs. What are his negotiating techniques?
Stra / February 8, 2014 at 09:59 am
Great Slate article - Decoding the Anti-Gay Messages in the Olympics Opening Ceremony:

makk / February 8, 2014 at 10:06 am
These are the Olympics. . Not showing how you like to take it from another man
Richard replying to a comment from Tony / February 8, 2014 at 10:17 am
Well, that's kind of like the same thing with Caribana...that's why quite a few LGBT skip the parade and quite a few straight people go. Personally, I think both parades are in poor taste, but it is what it is.
Richard=Dick / February 8, 2014 at 10:37 am
Once upon a time, Ford was in a single stall washroom for 90 minutes with Sandro in Vancouver. Ford is a large guy, Sandro isn't small, so just what were they doing? Ford Nation: your assignment is to spend 90 minutes in such a washroom with your closest male friend and report back. Begin NOW!
Irwin Mimico / February 8, 2014 at 10:38 am
The rainbow flag does NOT represent me or anybody I know in anyway. Take it down now! Whoever suggested putting it up yesterday should be fired with the people who supported it! You can raise it on pride week. Right now let's support our Olympic team. Go RED and WHITE!
kn / February 8, 2014 at 11:10 am
Gay rights is one of a multitude of issues plaguing Russia right now. People are blowing themselves up over there. I mean really people.

Ok, it's quite obvious Rob wants the rainbow flag down because he has a personal problem with homosexuality (get over it Rob) but his statement is correct. The Olympics should be about sport and the spirit of competition.

If the politically correct (self righteous) councillors would pause to consider this fact, and not be so eager to congratulate themselves on how open minded they are, they might consider the possibility that they have picked yet another pointless squabble with Rob Ford.
In the end, the rainbow flag is not representing the true meaning of togetherness and inclusiveness. It's reminding us that the spirit of arrogance and intolerance is front and centre at city hall.
james replying to a comment from kn / February 8, 2014 at 11:25 am
Is it Canada's job, (or any other country for that matter) to tell Russia how to manage their affairs? Perhaps Russia is not plaques with issues such as Gay rights. Perhaps it is the rest of the world being judgemental on the matter??

These are Olympic Games......they are about Sport......Period. What the media and Politicians make it out to be is nothing but Judgement.....on issues that they make it out for their own interests. I am ashamed that we Canadians have become so judgemental.

Get rid of the Rainblow flag, it has no bearing on the Olympic Spirit and Sport. Shame on Canada, and thank you Rob Ford for finally talking intelligent!
james replying to a comment from kn / February 8, 2014 at 11:38 am
It is shameful that our Leaders are not at the games supporting our Atheletes and Canadian Pride. (Note the word Canadian). Making a political statement by staying away is just Shallow....very Shallow.

So Russia has issues with Gays......hmmm.....well so did Canada and North America some 25 years ago. We figured it out on our own, with no help from others, people were harmed, they died, and were Shunned. But we figured it out!!!!!!!

Perhaps we Canadians have become too big for our own good. We and rest of the world should be Ashamed of ourselves for not being in Russia supporting our Athletes and Canadian Pride. Stephen Harper where are you? Rob Ford at least has the decency to make a stand....

We should all give our heads a Shake.

Rainbow Flag.......what the hell does that have to do with the Olympics?????? Politics and Grandstanding......Shameful!!!!!
Sauga II / February 8, 2014 at 11:49 am
I agree with James when he writes that we should pretend that a mayor spending 90 minutes in a single stall cubicle washroom with another is normal. After all, it is Rob Ford's private life.
Sauga II / February 8, 2014 at 11:52 am
The problem for Ford Nation is: Are they going to vote pro-washroom Rob? Do they care what he is doing there with Lisi? Will they keep Rob's secret? Will they tell their children. James, I think you should lue too. You too, Irwin, kn, et Al.
Sauga II / February 8, 2014 at 11:53 am
What is a little lying among friends as long as Rob fixes your sump pump?
Sauga II / February 8, 2014 at 11:57 am
I mean, all politicians lie, right? It is so refreshing to have a Mayor who is honest about not telling the truth and lies so openly! Four More Lies!
James replying to a comment from Sauga II / February 8, 2014 at 12:18 pm
Im not a Torontoian, and can fix my own sump pump thanks.

I don't need to Lie, I can educate my own kids and don't need the likes of Ford to do it for me, or any other politician for that matter, nor a Rainbow Flag.

I didn't vote for Him, nor would I, and wouldn't fathom living in a city (GTA) that has mainly become the battle ground for what most people detest about Canada.....vicious battles of the Elite, the Minorities, and likes of LGBT community, and many others.

Answer me this, without lying if you can......What has the Rainbow Flag got to do with the Olympics, other than judging Russia's stance on an issue. As a Canadian, does it make you proud to be so judgemental?

Adam / February 8, 2014 at 12:44 pm
I agree James everyone seems more focused on a symbol then actually doing something.
Stephen / February 8, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Again everyone's focused on Rob and city hall and not the issue. Funny how were making this about ourskleves gay or straight and not actually about solving the problems in Russia. Flag or no Flag the problem exsits quit making this about yourselves and the warm feeling your gonna get by raising a flag.
L / February 8, 2014 at 12:58 pm
really Rob.......you have proven that you are a homophobe, and perhaps a bigot.....but put that aside.........this time you are not just snubbing the LGBT community in Toronto, but all of the country......this year will be WORLD PRIDE in Toronto.....so you have a chance to snub and insult all LGBT people in the world!!!!! And about your decision to take down the rainbow flag is down right outrageous.........but again just what we all expect from you. THE REASON CITIES ARE FLYING THE RAINBOW FLAG, IS IN SUPPORT OF THE OLYMPIC GAMES AND PARTICIPANTS WHO DO NOT HAVE EQUAL RIGHTS IN THEIR COUNTRIES.........ESPECIALLY SENDING A MESSAGE TO RUSSIA AND THEIR LACK OF HUMAN RIGHTS. I think attending WORLD PRIDE is more important than your annual family BBQ for this one year....come on, do the right thing for a change!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Washroom Rob Ford / February 8, 2014 at 01:31 pm
Wasn't me. I wasn't there. I'm lying. See how I always tell the truth?
Rob Ford, Cubicle Man / February 8, 2014 at 01:34 pm
I was there saving taxpayer money. By shitting in Vancouver, I saved the taxpayer the cost of treating my shit pile.
PK Chang / February 8, 2014 at 01:36 pm
James and irwin are on point. The Rainbow flag has no purpose right now.
Gary / February 8, 2014 at 02:05 pm
Rob Ford seems to be convinced that being anti-gay will win him the next election. I wonder why that is? Did he take a poll and determine that the more homophobic he seems, the more Torontonians will vote for him? There has to be some method to his madness and knowing Ford, he must really believe that this city is hateful at its core. What does that say about Ford and Toronto?

It's funny how quickly Toronto went from being an accepting, diverse, progressive city, to a place where homophobic and racist comments fill the reader's comments sections of Newspapers and Youtube. I don't know whether Toronto is actually becoming more homophobic or if Ford is just bring all this hatred out from the rocks where it usually hides.

Either way, I hate what Rob Ford is doing to this city and I hope on election day, a strong message is sent to Ford that Toronto's values don't include hate, homophobia or racism. I think it's deplorable what he's doing to Toronto and our wonderful reputation.
Gary replying to a comment from L / February 8, 2014 at 02:17 pm
At this point, knowing how Ford feels about gays, why would you want him at World Pride? All it would do, is make everyone agitated and ruin the day for many people. If he was there, it would be an empty gesture because we all know he's homophobic. He doesn't even try to hide it.

I do NOT want to see Ford at World Pride or spend one second of my time thinking about him. We don't need his approval for anything. SCREW ROB FORD and his racist, homophobic, bigoted Nation too!
Toronto II / February 8, 2014 at 04:03 pm
I find it funny that blogto now has troglodyte trollers! Stop already! We get it! You hate gays and are attracted to Rob Ford. Wait...what?
Samantha II / February 8, 2014 at 04:06 pm
Rob Ford for toilet attendant! He's a liar, but 'people' believe him. He makes no sense. The graduates of the opportunity class accept his lies.
Abe / February 8, 2014 at 04:08 pm
Can we send this bigot ass clown to Russia to work at the Kremlin and disapprove of gay people all he wants?
Jabba the Hutt / February 8, 2014 at 04:09 pm
I will be played by Rob Ford in the next Star Wars movie.
L replying to a comment from Gary / February 8, 2014 at 04:37 pm
I agree Gary, but it doesn't stop me from venting my thoughts....I used to live in Toronto, and worked for the City of Toronto................I AM SOOOO GLAD THAT I LIVE OUTSIDE OF TORONTO, in a community where the mayor doesn't embarrass his citizens
David / February 8, 2014 at 05:24 pm
Ford is in the right here all you people are not looking at the fact that it has nothing to do with being gay or not its the Olympics and yes the Canada flag should be up there and the rainbow flag taken down then after the Olympics he will put it back up there. So stop throwing more problems into this guys life that he doesn't need!!!!! GO FORD!!
sst / February 8, 2014 at 06:59 pm
When a mayors actions causes people to boycott Toronto something must be done. His actions are impacting everyone causing the city to lose money and respect as a world class city!!
Why cant this guy go live off his daddies million dollar business and resign as a public figure!!
Please leave us!!!
shane / February 8, 2014 at 08:24 pm
As a gay guy I am sick of what the gay community will push next , Russia doesn't like gays OH Frickin well. that is there right, we have the right not to watch and support the ratings flying the pride flag is stupid I thought the goal all this time was to be all equal under one flag not two. Its time to grow up and stop looking to be the victim.
James replying to a comment from shane / February 8, 2014 at 08:31 pm
In réponse to Shane.... I am not a gay guy, and am pleased you see the bigger picture. I applaud your comment.

Go Canada! (and then Jamaica in the Bobsled)
Sorry, but... / February 8, 2014 at 09:34 pm
Half the Canadian team in Sochi is gay. Now do you get it?
sorry, But what.... replying to a comment from Sorry, but... / February 8, 2014 at 09:41 pm
Who cares if they are gay or straight, and what does it matter?

The games are in Russia, not Canada. Do you get it yet??

Its the Olympic games.....not the Rainblow flag games....
so / February 8, 2014 at 10:05 pm
Okay, we get it, there is a huge social problem going on in Russia (which has ALWAYS been there and has just garnered the attention because of the Olympics happening to be there). But it isn't our problem. It is Russia's problem. Let's be thankful that we live in a country that's accepting enough to let the rainbow flag fly.
The rainbow flag does not represent me (no matter how much some of you try to convince the rest of us). The Canadian flag represents me, and everyone in this nation. I am not against the gays, but it should not and it DOES NOT have to be flying at a time like this. THIS IS ABOUT SPORTS, supporting our athletes, and being proud of their achievements and putting pride into being CANADIAN. It is NOT about sexuality. I don't care if you're straight or gay. Put that issue aside. We should place our pride in our athletes and the fact that they are representing our nation as a whole unit. Hence, one flag.
so/sorry but what / February 8, 2014 at 10:59 pm
Creepy creeps creep around
kn / February 9, 2014 at 08:45 am
As I said before, this is a perfect picture of how our idiotic councillors function at city hall. It isn't about a commitment to the citizens of Toronto or a dedication to creating a better city, it's about pushing personal agendas and sophomoric political views... Rob Ford, Adam Vaughan....they are all interchangeable.
Shane / February 9, 2014 at 01:17 pm
Council has violated their own protocol by flying the flag.

Mayor Ford did not object to the flag flying during pride week. Mayor Ford proclaimed May 17 International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia. The problem lies with the protesters, not Mayor Ford.

I am not the same Shane that posted earlier.
Sochi 2014 / February 9, 2014 at 03:12 pm
You can raise the rainbow flag on church st. As Canadians we should only represent the Canadian flag that's it! I don't even know why this discussion has gone this far?
Jenn / February 9, 2014 at 03:29 pm
Can we get everyone on here to put a GLBT rainbow bumper sticker on their cars and/or bicycles? It will give much more support and exposure to the cause if we do it individually. Gay or straight we should all be putting bumper stickers on our cars to show support and spread the word. You can purchase a sticker from the sites below,

Perspective / February 10, 2014 at 02:20 pm
People should consider calming down and taking a few deep breaths.
Consider this thoughtful perspective:
Low brows support Ford / February 10, 2014 at 07:28 pm
Can't think, eh guys?
Jody Sanderson / February 10, 2014 at 10:10 pm
Kudos, Mayor Ford!
Rafa replying to a comment from Franco / February 10, 2014 at 10:23 pm
Wait, does your canned line-of-love include tolerance for those with diverse viewpoints on homosexuality? Or is it only all about inclusion for people who think exactly the same way you do?
Rafa, please take your head out of your ass! / February 11, 2014 at 03:05 am
Too late! You're brain dead!
Rafa replying to a comment from Rafa, please take your head out of your ass! / February 11, 2014 at 10:14 am
Too much "tolerance"! I can't take it! Feeling very included at the moment.
R*b F**d / February 11, 2014 at 11:47 am
I'm honest about lying.
I am a Sump Pump Named Rob Ford / February 11, 2014 at 11:49 am
I'm impotent?
robs ford / February 11, 2014 at 08:05 pm
This whole issue has just become a lot more interesting due to a new website that I found that has unearthed a new side to this story that no one has considered yet. Check it out here. You decide for yourself. Supposedly this anonymous source has a whole hard drive of material that they plan on releasing regularly.

www.robfordisgay.tumblr.com
I am a Sump Pump Named Rob Ford / February 11, 2014 at 09:53 pm
I am impotent!
Realist (mostly) replying to a comment from GrinTo / February 13, 2014 at 01:26 pm
Where were you people when they were flying flags for Peru, the Philippines, Paraguay and Portugal and many, many others on this same flag pole?

There are *and always have been* several Canadian flags flying on other poles by City Hall. This flag pole is used for flying ceremonial and symbolic flags.

Here is a list of all the flags that have flown on the ceremonial flag pole since 2011.

R-b F--d / February 16, 2014 at 02:28 pm
I, R-b F--d,, support guns, gangs, drugs, prostitution, drunk driving, disobeying laws, racism & bigotry & lying. I spend my own money on all these things, its private, so fuck off and vote for me! HATE MORE YEARS! HATE MORE YEARS!