Monday, December 22, 2014Cloudy 0°C

Dublin designers issue elegant Toronto screen print

Posted by Derek Flack / January 29, 2014

Toronto screen printThe latest addition to my ever-growing list of Toronto-related paraphernalia is this screen print from Dublin-based design firm me&him&you. Part of a series that also includes cities like New York, London, Berlin and Hong Kong, the print features the CN Tower, Scotia Plaza, The Gooderham Building, and...a Caesar. The idea is to pair iconic structures with iconic drinks to represent the ethos of a given city.

"Historically Irish people have emigrated to work all over the world," the designers explain. "Recently many of our friends and family have moved to Hong Kong, New York, London, Paris, Berlin and many other cities all over the world looking for work. We are lucky enough to have been able to visit, sample their signature drinks and be inspired by their new homes."

It's a simple idea, and while the addition of a staple drink might risk cliche, the minimalist design saves the prints from such a fate. City Screenprints are available at me&him&you's website for 60 Euros a piece un-framed. Here's a snapshot of the series.

London screen printNew York screen printToronto screen print

Anne / January 29, 2014 at 02:01 pm
Too bad the Caesar was invented in Calgary.
Arti Patel / January 29, 2014 at 03:26 pm
Adorable!
British East India Company / January 29, 2014 at 03:26 pm
And the G&T was invented in India, not London. Your point, poor pedant?
Rayanne / January 29, 2014 at 03:44 pm
Props on the comments so far, guys. Very entertaining!
Uhm What replying to a comment from Lowrez / January 29, 2014 at 03:56 pm
But Calgary is IN Alberta. Checkmate Atheists.
Terone / January 29, 2014 at 04:10 pm
Shop Local. Buy Local designs.
A guy who contributed to the drink choice for toronto replying to a comment from Anne / January 29, 2014 at 04:14 pm
Yo Sorry Anne – I contributed to the nomination of the caesar for a Toronto drink. It was under a heated debate. In the end, it was the only canadian city being represented, and the Caesar is unquestionably the cocktail of Canada. We sided with the Caesar. Really sorry you're upset.
Dennis / January 29, 2014 at 04:23 pm
I don't know that Anne was upset, just stating a fact perhaps.
Norman Robertson / January 29, 2014 at 04:32 pm
why was my comment deleted?? because I said this artwork is as good as ketchup and ice cream?
Anne replying to a comment from A guy who contributed to the drink choice for toronto / January 29, 2014 at 04:35 pm
Not upset, just disappointed Toronto doesn't seem to have its own signature cocktail. My husband the Calgarian - now HE would be upset. As has been pointed out, it is nevertheless Canadian, so props for that.
MATT replying to a comment from GDK / January 29, 2014 at 04:49 pm
Where's the giant condos in that poster?

Sorry I just wanted to get 1st bitch about condos on this post.
linds / January 29, 2014 at 05:08 pm
Regardless of whether or not the Caesar is an emblem of Toronto -f you're knocking back a Caesar in 3 gulps, you've cheated by pre-dripping candle wax down your throat. Why do gulps count and not celery bites? Facing these questions everyday would drive me insane.
Cynthia / January 29, 2014 at 05:30 pm
Should have put a Steam Whistle on it instead!
Mark / January 29, 2014 at 06:06 pm
Why don't you do some artwork on a place in Canada that has culture (i.e. anywhere besides Toronto, where they just think they are the NYC of Canada, can't play hockey and have crappy beer like Steam Whistle). I don't need to hype where I am from because you already have by including the Caesar in a piece about Toronto. Nuff said.
Toronto replying to a comment from Mark / January 29, 2014 at 06:53 pm
Hey Mark. Just wanted to say, I really hope you're having a good day.
Canesta / January 29, 2014 at 07:04 pm
I'm always amused by this idea that Toronto is without culture.

No one in Toronto or Canada is looking for cultural cues from Calgary or Vancouver or even Montreal (if you speak English as a mother tongue). That's a fact.
Kevin Bracken / January 29, 2014 at 08:41 pm
There's a drink at Epcot called the Torontopolitan... does that count?
jen / January 29, 2014 at 09:39 pm
I love this! Beautiful, clean lines...very nice design work. Caesars rock.

Must save my nickels to get one.
Michael replying to a comment from Mark / January 30, 2014 at 12:49 am
Really Mark, what on earth are you doing on blogTO.com you do know what the TO in blogTO stands for don't you? Gonna bitch about Toronto go back to the bar on McDougal Road in Fort Smith or where-ever your petty notions of my home first found their voice and whine there.
Canadians Complain Too Much replying to a comment from Mark / January 30, 2014 at 11:35 am
haha! Mark you are hilarious. I just love it when our "fellow Canadians" scour the Toronto news every day to complain that they have hurt their eyes seeing the word Toronto. Read your own boring news (Dog lost on Peanut Street, Cows wander through deserted downtown, Man hurt by sidewalk rolling up at 6pm, etc...).

Anne; sorry your husband is bitter about Toronto and the Ceaser. The Ceaser is not an original drink anyway; just an even more disgusting copy of the well established American cocktail known as the Bloody Mary. Why are Calgarians so incredibly uptight? Especially when they turn red in the face and start spluttering:"Centre of the Universe" like wind up toys?
Seems like people in Western Canadian cities alternate between desperately trying to be Toronto and desperately bitching about Toronto. Make up your minds already.
Ben / January 30, 2014 at 01:38 pm
It is kind of sad that we have no uniquely Canadian beverage. Our most popular beers are owned by foreign companies and even Canadian Club was sold to American company Beam Inc, which is now owned by a Japanese company.

I second the notion that Steam Whistle would be more appropriate than a Caesar.

Please reissue the Toronto print and add green ink for the bottle. Thanks.
Katherine / February 21, 2014 at 10:41 am
I think it's sad that Toronto has no distinct 'culture'. What we are known for is our diversity, but sometimes this overpowers any chance of finding something truly unique about our city. After all, the meaning of the word 'Toronto' is meeting place.

The only thing we can really call our own is Rob Ford...
Victoria / December 17, 2014 at 04:47 pm
I LOVE the clean/crisp aesthetic to these.
JackieJormpJomp replying to a comment from Uhm What / December 18, 2014 at 02:56 pm
You're my favourite.