Saturday, April 19, 2014Sunny 1°C

Rob Ford stands by controversial "little kids" comment

Posted by Chris Bateman / December 10, 2013

rob ford presserRob Ford isn't about to apologize for accusing Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale of "taking pictures of little kids" outside his Etobicoke home.

"I stand by my words, what I said with Conrad Black," Ford said at a press conference this afternoon. "I stand by every word I said with Mr. Black in my interview."

In an interview with the disgraced media baron that was aired last night, Ford accused Dale of standing on bricks to see into his backyard in May 2012. Toronto police viewed CCTV tape of the incident and found "no evidence" to back up the mayor's claim.

"I have little kids. When a guy is taking pictures with little kids, I don't want to say that word but you start thinking, you know, what is this guy all about," Ford told Black, moments after calling on police to arrest him if they have found he has "done something illegal.".

The video of the interview has since been removed from the ZoomerMedia website though it's currently available on YouTube.

Dale and Toronto Star lawyers are discussing options over the "categorically false" comments.

Earlier today, Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly said Rob Ford should apologize for the "beyond the pale" remarks. "It fits into a pattern that changes the focus from him to someone else ... and I think there should be an apology for that," he told reporters.

Ford clearly doesn't agree.

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Mike / December 10, 2013 at 04:42 pm
Every day, Rob Ford is walking into more and more lawsuits. Every day.
NotThatDave / December 10, 2013 at 04:44 pm
Just when we think RoFo can't out do himeself, he accuses a reporter of being a pedo...bravo.
GV / December 10, 2013 at 04:47 pm
Considering this contradicts his original story that he was helping his kids with his homework, I think a valid question to ask the mayor is "Which story is the truth and which is the lie?"
Bob But Not Doug / December 10, 2013 at 04:49 pm
What a disgusting human being our mayor is.
michael / December 10, 2013 at 04:51 pm
GC / December 10, 2013 at 05:10 pm
Please, please, PLEASE let karma be a real thing.
sadMayor / December 10, 2013 at 05:19 pm
He's just trying to stay in the news now, at any cost. He's so pathetic.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from NotThatDave / December 10, 2013 at 05:22 pm
If he's a Leftie, he probably is. After all the gays had the age for anal consent for boys lowered for obvious reasons.
Ryan / December 10, 2013 at 05:22 pm
Rob Ford is a pathological liar and Conrad Black another enabler.

Bob / December 10, 2013 at 05:41 pm
don't think I'll ever drive a black ford again :(
Mark / December 10, 2013 at 05:53 pm
Unless he specifically used the term 'pedophile' there is no case. You can imply whatever you want but unless you make a specific accusation it can't be legally proven that you meant to say something.
Not True replying to a comment from Mark / December 10, 2013 at 06:19 pm
"A defamatory libel may be expressed directly or by insinuation or irony" – Criminal Code of Canada.
Gabe / December 10, 2013 at 06:33 pm
Its just an allegation - the same type thats made against Rob without any proof.
Gabe / December 10, 2013 at 06:37 pm
Two drug dealers say they were offered cash and a car for the crack video. No mention of Robs name. No proof it ever happened but yet he's automatically guilty. Shame on you all.
Lee Zamparo / December 10, 2013 at 06:49 pm
Why does anyone even listen to this guy anymore? He'll say anything to get attention.
Hmmm replying to a comment from Gabe / December 10, 2013 at 07:00 pm
And OJ was innocent too, eh? You can lie to yourself but the rest of us know better.
Alex / December 10, 2013 at 07:05 pm
I would love to see the CCTV footage the police have of the Dale-Ford Encounter.
Bart replying to a comment from Alex / December 10, 2013 at 07:11 pm
The police uphold Dale's story. Rob Ford is a lying sack of shit.
frelwa / December 10, 2013 at 07:35 pm
What about Ford and kids? He was banned from coaching them. He doesn't take pictures. He's a hands-on guy. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
JamesVR / December 10, 2013 at 07:42 pm

Its the way we've been trained now. You can't take photos of your own kids in classes and lessons you've enrolled them in, cameras are no longer welcome, unless you ask for special permission on a special day. Go to a playground by yourself and pull out a camera and see how the parents react.

I could see how the first thing Rob may think in protecting his child is, "Is this guy a pedo?". Its not far off or hard to believe.
Splifka / December 10, 2013 at 07:48 pm
Either our mayor is a Mr Magoo of epic proportions or the greatest super villain like ever.
QED replying to a comment from JamesVR / December 10, 2013 at 08:00 pm
"As a father I'd be concerned if I looked into my backyard where my kids were playing and saw a man with a camera taking pics over the fence or through the bushes. First thing that comes to mind is Pedo."

Absolutely correct, although of course if there was no man looking over the fence, no camera, and no kids in the backyard and when you run around the back you recognize the man as a reporter you see every day, the first thing that comes to mind is Liar.

Moral of the story -- if you don't want people looking at the parkland behind your yard, don't try to buy the parkland behind your yard. Especially if you hold the position of Mayor, which automatically makes the purchase of public land a matter of interest.

JamesVR replying to a comment from QED / December 10, 2013 at 08:11 pm
AGREED!
James / December 10, 2013 at 08:34 pm
I'm actually bewildered that he called a press conference to address this (or did he hold a press conference to focus on something else, you know- to look "busy"). Why is he calling press releases to be such a b!tch when he could just issue a statement? What a camera hog. Go away, Rob.
James replying to a comment from sadMayor / December 10, 2013 at 08:36 pm
Agreed. This is awkward- like a drunk uncle who doesn't realize he's become the joke.
h / December 10, 2013 at 08:53 pm
RoFo is the best!
Lorraine / December 10, 2013 at 09:04 pm
He was asked not to attend the Santa Claus Parade. He was fired from the football team. He is a liar, drunk and a smokes crack. Oh and he hangs with criminals! He I a bully! Can't stand looking at him!
Arturo / December 10, 2013 at 09:21 pm
Daniel Dale is swine.
Wow / December 10, 2013 at 10:40 pm
Didn't think this guy could go lower but holy crap. Someone is gonna throw him under a bus soon, it's only a matter of time. With irrational accusations of pedophilia now, it just goes to show you as well how low these scumbags who "support" him will go. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Shameless.
You people are swine / December 10, 2013 at 10:52 pm
If there was a charge for being a complete irrational idiot of epic proportions you supporters would be tossed away for life.
pew pew replying to a comment from Sham / December 10, 2013 at 11:10 pm
So being a coach is creepy?
Yob / December 10, 2013 at 11:12 pm
This interview with Rob Ford was scripted.
Me replying to a comment from frelwa / December 10, 2013 at 11:13 pm
No, not at all. truth is I don't care. If you "wonder" about people who coach kids in sports, I'd think maybe YOU were the one with issues. just sayin'.....
Adam replying to a comment from Mark / December 10, 2013 at 11:14 pm
Lawyered
Suzi / December 10, 2013 at 11:47 pm
Ford has done nothing wrong though. I don't see why your brothers at arms. He made some statements about what he thought AND if thats what he initially thought when his kids were being approached. Enough.
Gnarlk / December 11, 2013 at 12:06 am
This had nothing to do with his kids. he thought he could get away with pushing his weight around and getting what he wants. when the star was on to him he went into his typical 400 lb. man baby rage and then played the victim card so all of you cultist assholes would buy into it.
Marky / December 11, 2013 at 07:59 am
Why isn't Conrad Black in jail??? That cheating scumbag is hosting a TV show now with Rob Ford as a guest? Now I've seen it all...
Steve replying to a comment from Marky / December 11, 2013 at 08:41 am
Not sure were you have been, but Conrad did jail time.
Steve / December 11, 2013 at 08:46 am
Maybe Dale should ask the question why Ford was more interested coaching boys than his actual mayoral duties... Hmm...

And @Sham, he didn't just do it in his free time, he did it on city time too. On taxpayers money.
Meow replying to a comment from Marky / December 11, 2013 at 09:06 am
The only "crime" Conrad committed was being rich when you Lefties decided it was wrong to be.
notbelvedere / December 11, 2013 at 09:19 am
rofo vs dale: takes one to know one. and methinks rofo doth protest too much. coach pedo.
Suzi replying to a comment from Steve / December 11, 2013 at 09:21 am
Maybe Dale should bask in the glory, this is a career highlight for him. Its all down hill from here. Enjoy your 5 minutes.
duder replying to a comment from Meow / December 11, 2013 at 09:30 am
This statement is so ludicrous it's almost (not quite, but almost) not worth replying to. I suppose in your estimation then that the United States court system, during the Bush administration, was part of a "leftie" conspiracy to deprive an innocent man of his rightly-earned funds. Wackjob.
gnarlk replying to a comment from Suzi / December 11, 2013 at 09:52 am
the only one basking in their remaining five minutes if mayor tub of shit. enjoy swinging from his nuts while you can suze.
Shirley / December 11, 2013 at 09:59 am
duder-*smiles* I know, you can't help it, right?
Shirley / December 11, 2013 at 10:08 am
Meow-Our first disagreement. I despise Conrad Black. He stole millions from people, then purged his files to avoid prosecution. Guess where he worked after he got out of jail? The Star.

Not true-Well if that's true lots of media and public citizens would be in jail.
Shirley / December 11, 2013 at 10:24 am
Suzi-EXACTLY!

QED-Still spinning that bs story about the parkland? Rob Ford applied for that land to keep the media out.

That Star reporter had his nose to Rob Fords fence, his neighbors said so, and I believe them.

Does it come as a surprise to anyone that the police found no evidence? They looked (deliberatly in the wrong place. That, Toronto is our new, normal police proceedures. Compliments of our politicians.
Shirley / December 11, 2013 at 10:27 am
Gnark-Hey skidmark!
mike in parkdale / December 11, 2013 at 10:35 am
how about the honest logic - Rob Ford has seen reporters with cameras in his front yard dozens of times, but when he sees one person with a camera in the park next to his back yard, he can't make the connection?
Skye / December 11, 2013 at 10:36 am
So Shirl admits RoFo applied to annex parkland, even though as mayor, it was a huge conflict of interest to do so.

BUT!! It's totally okay, people. RoFo NEEDED that parkland that all taxpayers had been paying for. He needed to keep the Big Bad Media away.

God, how disgusting that a Toronto Star reporter would even think of reporting on this, right?

Gnarlk / December 11, 2013 at 10:43 am
What do Shirley and a tampon have in common?
Suzi / December 11, 2013 at 11:02 am
Big deal the guy filled out an application to potentially buy the land. Was the application approved? Does he now own the land? NO Why is this an issue.
Kelly / December 11, 2013 at 11:14 am
Why are we giving a convicted felon and substance abuser any attention at all?! These two are ridiculous and a complete waste of our time.
Gnarlk replying to a comment from Suzi / December 11, 2013 at 11:14 am
It seems like a certain triple chinned tub of snot wouldn't let it rest in this interview.
duder replying to a comment from Shirley / December 11, 2013 at 11:26 am
I can't help it when someone posts something so grossly untrue that it borders on mental illness. Seriously, Conrad Black the victim of a left-wing conspiracy? Say what you want about the man, but that statement is breathtaking in its inaccuracy.
Boris replying to a comment from Kelly / December 11, 2013 at 11:44 am
Hey we give JAY-Z a hell of a lot of attention and he's was convicted of stabbing someone in 1999 and is probably the most famous Crack Dealer in the world. They even let him into the white house.
Todd / December 11, 2013 at 03:29 pm
Don't feed the troll.

Shirley wasn't politically engaged until she got a robocall that she thinks was actually Rob Ford promising to save seven trillion dollars or whatever bullshit people believed that could have been easily shot down with a Google search.
iSlumdweller replying to a comment from Boris / December 11, 2013 at 03:53 pm
What's a "JAY-Z"?
Snarlk replying to a comment from Gnarlk / December 11, 2013 at 03:54 pm
They both fit inside you?
Snarlk replying to a comment from Shirley / December 11, 2013 at 03:55 pm
Conrad didn't steal millions. Do some research. The so-called "investigators" stole the millions in "fees".
duder replying to a comment from Shirley / December 11, 2013 at 03:56 pm
I'm so lonely and gay. I admit it, I'm a Fucktard.
Qaf / December 11, 2013 at 04:19 pm
This is a waste of time. Ford fell out of the media cycle and needed an ego boost again, so he does a controversial interview with Conrad Black, and says controversial things which may or may not be lies, etc etc. It's the same thing over and over. I don't support him as a mayor but at this point, I really wish we could just get back to business. There are more important things to report about.
Me replying to a comment from Qaf / December 11, 2013 at 04:45 pm
"There are more important things to report about."

Not according to Derek and Chris. Too bad really as they destroyed whatever was good about BlogTO with their childish Rob Ford themed circle jerks and still are.
m replying to a comment from JamesVR / December 11, 2013 at 05:40 pm

But non of that happened. Ford is lying about it all.
m replying to a comment from Suzi / December 11, 2013 at 05:42 pm
His kids were not approached
Henry Ford replying to a comment from m / December 11, 2013 at 06:17 pm
And you were there, were you?
Gnarlk replying to a comment from Henry Ford / December 11, 2013 at 06:43 pm
cops and cctv exonerated dale. it was over and done with, but the porcine champion of the people needed some news time.
Gnarlk replying to a comment from Me / December 11, 2013 at 06:45 pm
yeah, bad blog to. you should learn to roll over and not have an opinion about anything that goes on in the city.
Me replying to a comment from Gnarlk / December 11, 2013 at 06:49 pm
It's too bad they don't other than Rob Ford.
Zorgg / December 11, 2013 at 08:52 pm
I never assumed Ford meant Dale was a pedophile.

I assumed he meant "ass bandit."
Shirley / December 11, 2013 at 10:08 pm
SKYE-Well if what you say is true, then the taxpayer wouldn't be paying for the land had they granted his application.

duder-*cocks an eyebrow*

Boris-Interesting point.

Snark-I will. My statements were based on media reports. But he did go to jail for purging his files, and big money was involved. I just don't remember the exact number.

duder-You're forgiven.

Qaf-I support Rob, but I agree with you. That's why Rob and Doug were at the police board meeting today.
Snark replying to a comment from Shirley / December 11, 2013 at 10:14 pm
He didn't purge his files. He removed his own files from his own building after being asked to leave. Those files were already looked at and copied by the investigators. Those same investigators set a fee of $100 000 a DAY to do the copying and deducted that fee from the so-called "missing" money as it went missing as fees to the people that were supposedly being the watchdogs.
local replying to a comment from Bob But Not Doug / December 11, 2013 at 11:00 pm
Yup. An all-out scumbag.
confucius / December 11, 2013 at 11:03 pm
He who points finger at Rob Ford has three fingers on same hand pointing back at them.
duder replying to a comment from Shirley / December 12, 2013 at 08:54 am
That previous comment wasn't me...gotta love Blogto's phantom commenters and their lovely homophobia.
Garneau / December 14, 2013 at 03:05 am
Can we shut the fuck up about Rob Ford already?? Guy is a tool, and the only leg he has left to stand on is whatever coverage he can milk from the media. Just pick some other Joe Beer-can to focus on so Toronto can rest easy knowing the newspapers are finished doing his campaign work for him.
Lorrie / January 2, 2014 at 10:49 pm
My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from
PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on a variety of websites for
about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform.

I have heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there
a way I can import all my wordpress content into it?
Any help would be really appreciated!
Sharky / March 12, 2014 at 02:57 pm
haha, there's no credibility in what he says anymore.