Tuesday, September 2, 2014Cloudy 23°C

The photos of the week: August 31 - September 6

Posted by Derek Flack / September 6, 2013

Pearson AirportThe photos of the week collect each of the editor-selected photos of the day into one post for a contest to be decided by our readers. Sponsored by Posterjack, the photographer whose image receives the most votes will be awarded with a voucher code for a 24"x36" poster print of their work.

All the rules and fine-print can be found in the original announcement post on the blogTO Flickr page. One thing to add, however, is that the voting period ends at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, after which the winner will be contacted with the good news.

For those photographers whose images are featured below, please feel free to give us a little information about your shot — i.e. where and when it was taken — in the comments section. Who knows? Maybe your description will sway voters in your favour!

Lead photo by Elie Dahdouh.

ROMPhoto by Phil Marion.

Bay and Grosvenor TorontoPhoto by Kat NLM.

CNE Air ShowPhoto by Cobby17.

Rouge River TorontoPhoto by Michael Mitchener.

CNE acrobaticsPhoto by Adrian Berg.

boxing torontoPhoto by thericyip.

click / September 6, 2013 at 08:16 am
Finally, no cliche shots of the skyline, CN tower, streetcars, etc.

Please let this be the bar from now on!
Paul "Barry" Karn / September 6, 2013 at 08:32 am
Why yes I did take a dump in my pants! Thank you for noticing!
Robert / September 6, 2013 at 08:45 am
My apologies for missing last week. Just too busy with Vacay and Life.

Again, not trashing the artists, just offering my commentary on the curated selection portraying this great city.

For what it is worth, here are my picks from the same period (in order)

Only picking 6 as I cannot argue with BlogTO's #7 Pick

#1 "waiting" - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathancastellino/9678156133/in/pool-26909951@N00/lightbox/

#2 "Major Lazer" - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jesseherzog/9510166351/in/pool-26909951@N00/lightbox/

#3 "Young Sauruses" - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffstewartphotos/9658716445/in/pool-26909951@N00/lightbox/

#4 "Four Horsemen" - http://www.flickr.com/photos/benroffelsen/9660234978/in/pool-26909951@N00/lightbox/

#5 "Kites" - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ccimaging/9660402168/in/pool-26909951@N00/lightbox/

#6 "some.assembly.required" - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathancastellino/9654272038/in/pool-26909951@N00/lightbox/
Great as always replying to a comment from Robert / September 6, 2013 at 09:23 am
Always like your picks Robert but what's with "kites." It's a pretty picture but seems like the generic landscapes that would show up on BlogTO normally.

Also, good picks today from BlogTO
Brian / September 6, 2013 at 09:45 am
tough decision; all great photos!
Robert replying to a comment from Great as always / September 6, 2013 at 10:12 am
It only seems like a general landscape.

Compositionally it is a great image. Why I choose this was the minute details within: The tiny girl jumping for joy with her family, the absence of anyone actually holding the kites, the tiny kite in the background that is all alone.

Robert replying to a comment from click / September 6, 2013 at 10:21 am
I agree, the selections are definitely becoming more interesting and diverse.
Fig / September 6, 2013 at 12:56 pm
Love this week's selection - hard to choose.
Jake / September 6, 2013 at 02:01 pm
I agree, BlogTO editor did a better job this week but Robert's selection are still more interesting.
Robert replying to a comment from Jake / September 6, 2013 at 04:31 pm
Thanks!
Karen / September 6, 2013 at 09:56 pm
Agreed - better pics this week!
notbelvedere / September 7, 2013 at 02:05 am
nice selection this week. #6 gets my vote.
Kat Northern Lights Man / September 7, 2013 at 06:17 pm
Hey all,

Thanks for your consideration for photo of the week. The photo "As Daylight Dies" was taken as I came out of an evening yoga class at the YMCA. As I crossed Bay Street on Grosvenor, I spotted some new steel street furniture that had gone up with a new condo construction.

Intuitively, I walked over to a long reflective table and rested the end of my lens the end and took a photo. I was surprised to see the warm yellow light from overhead street lamps bend in an arch on the table for the effect you see in this photo.

I'm glad I could share this photo.
thericyip / September 15, 2013 at 11:41 pm
Cool, I won. Still waiting to be contacted.