Monday, September 1, 2014Light Drizzle 20°C

Should smoking be banned on Toronto patios?

Posted by Derek Flack / September 23, 2013

Smoking Toronto PatiosA smoking ban could be back on the table for Toronto patios and other public areas, like sports fields and beaches. Approximately a year ago, the Toronto Board of Health initiated a public consultation process on toughening the city's smoking by-laws, which currently prohibit one from lighting up in the workplace or within nine metres of a public playground (amongst other places). As a result of these consultations, Toronto's Medical Officer has formally recommended that smoking be banned on restaurant and bar patios as well as other key outdoor public areas.

"Based on the consultation findings, review of actions in other jurisdictions, health evidence on outdoor tobacco smoke exposure, the importance of smoke-free role models for children and youth, and public opinion data, this report recommends the Board of Health support making the following outdoor spaces smoke-free: public building entrances and exits, sports fields, specific amenities in parks, swimming beaches, public squares, bar and restaurant patios and hospital grounds."

A common argument when this particular debate comes up is that a ban on patio smoking will ultimately hurt a restaurant or bar's business. So while it's hardly surprising that the Medical Officer would make such recommendations, it should be noted that patio owners were included in the consultation process. The recommendation will be considered by the Board of Health on September 30th. City council would have to approve any change to existing smoking legislation.

What do you think? Is this a step in the right direction?

Photo by HappyLuck in the blogTO Flickr pool

Rob / September 23, 2013 at 04:11 pm
I appreciate being able to leave a bar or club (not that I go to those anymore) without reeking of cigarettes - I'm sure we all remember washing the stink out of your hair (not that I have hair anymore) the next morning. But even as a non-smoker, I feel that this stuff is just getting a little ridiculous now. If you're that paranoid about the effects a whiff of cigarette smoke may have on your health, you probably shouldn't be at a bar. Or living in Toronto. Or stepping out of your house for that matter...
jer / September 23, 2013 at 04:21 pm

Patios are mainly full of smokers it seems and it isn't very comfortable for a non-smoker to be eating a meal with smoke blowing into your face.

Re: sports fields/etc, I think has to do with respect. If the parents are smoking beside all of the other parents instead of excusing themselves for a smoke than yeah, I think it should be banned. Also hate at YD Square and other places where you are surrounded by people smoking during a concert
J / September 23, 2013 at 04:33 pm
Please ban smoking on public sidewalks. Nothing is worse than walking behind a person who is puffing away like a locomotive. Whenever I find myself downwind of a smoker I do my best to get ahead of them and let loose a nice smelly fart just to let them know how it feels.
Shawn C. / September 23, 2013 at 04:35 pm
A whiff of a cigarette can send me into a coughing fit that ends in a mouthful of blood. I'm otherwise healthy, but I can't be near cigarettes. In the summer, if a restaurant has a smoking patio, I basically can't go in. Inevitably, the whole restaurant will fill with smoke when someone props the door open for a conversation, or if the restaurant's front window rolls up. Sometimes I like going outside in the summertime. It'd be nice to have the option of not hurting so someone feels like feeding an addiction.
If we can ban peanuts in schools, we can ban smoking in public places.
TTop / September 23, 2013 at 04:39 pm
As a former smoker I think they are taking this too far. I feel the current rules are strict enough. It should be up to the patio owner weather they want to allow smoking on their patio or not.

If the government was concerned about our health they would ban smoking all together.
cathy / September 23, 2013 at 04:46 pm
They should work on banning smoking inside apartment buildings first. My upstairs neighbour smokes and it's disgusting how much of the smell comes into my apartment.
Chris / September 23, 2013 at 04:52 pm
I'm all for extending the ban. The complaint about hurting bar/resto business is the same complaint we heard when the initial ban against smoking indoors was brought in, and as we know, those fears were wholly unfounded. Besides, does anyone really think that banning smoking on patios will have any affect on bar business? Please - where are the smokers gonna go - Mississauga, Brampton? I can just see it now - bars in Brampton launching a massive campaign to lure disenchanted smokers from Toronto. Yeah right - they'll probably institute a similar ban the day after Toronto does (as will Mississauga).

Add that to the public health concerns of having smokers puffing away 2 feet away from you on a patio (which smokers, being the inconsiderate sort they often are, do without any thought to those around them), and its a no-brainer.

When weighing my health against inconveniencing a smoker (which ultimately, is what we're talking about here - inconveniencing smokers), I know where my vote goes.

lister / September 23, 2013 at 04:59 pm
Yes please on the patios! The world didn't end when the smoking ban went in for inside bars and restaurants. It won't end either if patios are added.
LYo replying to a comment from J / September 23, 2013 at 05:07 pm
You are my favourite person of the day.
Balance / September 23, 2013 at 05:09 pm
Up next for bans- perfume, cars on smog days, and charcoal bbqs.
BeKind replying to a comment from Chris / September 23, 2013 at 05:09 pm
i really don't think you can group smokers together like that, I just yesterday asked a neighbour to my right on a outside patio if he was alright with smoking and offered to move if it wasn't okay. Also to the rest complaining about "feeding an addiction" while at a bar, that serves alcohol which is also addiction, I mean come on.
McRib / September 23, 2013 at 05:09 pm
I'd wager the car fumes (if the patio is on the front of a building) will be more detrimental to health that a few cigarettes being smoked nearby. The smell sucks though, and I'm sure that's what most of the complaint is about.

If second hand smoke on a patio is actually hurting your health, you should probably hit an AA meeting because you're spending too much time at a bar.

I don't really care either way, maybe we should just ban cigarettes altogether.

Squares / September 23, 2013 at 05:11 pm
Sure ban it... There will be no bars/clubs left in Toronto. Mississauga is OPEN for business!

Come smoke your hearts out on the patios!
If you are at a bar, drinking in the first place, or eating the oil-filled bar food - you are not too concerned about your health.

The last smoking ban, killed 50+% of the bars/clubs in Toronto... This will put the final nail in the coffin.

If the government and public health was so worried about smoking - BAN IT!! Stop selling cigs! But that would be too easy, right?

Smoke on!
Susan / September 23, 2013 at 05:13 pm
It really should be up to the business owners, smoking patrons, and non-smoking patrons to decide. Remember that smokers pay a lot of taxes to smoke which helps our economy and governments.
Jay replying to a comment from Shawn C. / September 23, 2013 at 05:13 pm
If you're coughing up blood then, no, I don't think you ARE a relatively healthy person. Cigarette smoke or otherwise.
Adin replying to a comment from Shawn C. / September 23, 2013 at 05:14 pm
Shawn C., if you're serious -- please seek medical help. A whiff of secondhand smoke is *not* solely responsible for furious coughing and a mouthful of blood. You clearly have something else going on, don't let your hatred of smokers stop you from diagnosing the real cause and looking after your health!
Susan replying to a comment from J / September 23, 2013 at 05:14 pm
I hate the smell of Alcohol - should that be banned from patios because I can smell it when walking on a sidewalk?
Jorge / September 23, 2013 at 05:14 pm
Yes, please! We, as a society, will be more civilized if we stop defending the imposition of negative costs on each other under the guise of "personal liberties". In other words, my right to enjoy a smoke free environment trumps your right to enjoy a cigarette in a patio...and impose the health costs of inhaling carcinogens on me.

This is VERY different from banning smoking, as TTop incorrectly suggests. Regulating WHERE you can smoke does not impinge on your personal choice to smoke, it simply protects everyone else from your choice by not allowing you to expose others to the smoke.

p.s. the sad part is that smoking in patios is not already self-regulated... in other words, why can't patio smokers think about courtesy on their own?
Squares / September 23, 2013 at 05:18 pm
Hi again. I just want you to know that when I said, "The last smoking ban, killed 50+% of the bars/clubs in Toronto," I hadn't actually researched any of that. I just like to say things in a confident tone, while hoping they are probably true facts.

Oh and the part about Mississauga being "OPEN for business" was to make everybody laugh. Ha ha ha ha ha! Mississauga! Haaaaa.
Karen / September 23, 2013 at 05:21 pm
Think of the children!

I agree it should be up to the owners of bars/restaurants whether or not they allow smoking. It can be unpleasant sitting and eating a meal and having cigarette smoke drifting over... but if it is a bar/club without food most the time people outside are there TO smoke.

Instead of smoking on the patio, patrons will simply go around the fence and smoke a few feet away.
But whatever makes you feel better!
Anti-Smoking-Fat-Drunkies / September 23, 2013 at 05:23 pm
I love losers, who complain about smoking..........YET, you are at a BAR, getting pissed.

"Just a few drinks". Ok, then you eat some chicken wings, with a side of e-coli caesar salad. Having a stoke from the food, on the way home.

If you are bickering about smoking at a bar patio, you are spending far too much time at the pub. Seek help.
Dylan / September 23, 2013 at 05:26 pm
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.
Chris replying to a comment from Anti-Smoking-Fat-Drunkies / September 23, 2013 at 05:37 pm
Except drinking a beer in and of itself does not harm those sitting around you, unlike smoking, where simply sitting beside you exposes me to all the crap you're choosing to put in your lungs.

I for one don't give a crap if YOU smoke - good for you - Happy cancer, big guy. I do, however, give a crap when you blow smoke 2 feet away from me when I'm trying to enjoy my meal, and expose my lungs to the shit you chose to inhale. You want to give yourself cancer, go right ahead, but do me a favour and leave me out of it.

But hey man, I guess it's becoming harder and harder to justify that nasty (and expensive) habit, isn't it?
c / September 23, 2013 at 05:38 pm
please do!!! this was my first summer in the city and i had no idea that patios still allowed smoking. as far as i know most other major cities/maybe the whole province, has smoking banned on patios.

at the very least, ban them until the no-minors allowed rule kicks in at most bars/pubs - ie. 9/10pm.
Adam / September 23, 2013 at 05:39 pm
i'd rather have a little cigarette smoke wafting past me now and then on a patio instead of the obscene amount of cologne/perfume some people wear...
Adam's Dad replying to a comment from Adam / September 23, 2013 at 05:56 pm
Hey Adam,

After you read the studies about second-hand smoke, you can go clean your room. Dinner is almost ready.

Sincerely,
Your Dad.
mr bear / September 23, 2013 at 06:19 pm
BAN CARS, TRUCKS, BUSES AND PECULIAR PIPE SMOKING ROB FORD FROM TORONTO CITY LIMITS.
THAT IS WHERE THE REAL DANGER TO PUBLIC HEALTH IS!!
Felicia / September 23, 2013 at 06:58 pm
I'm not a smoker and I dislike secondhand smoke but this potential ban just seems illogical. While eating a meal and having a drink on the patio, instead of staying seated, you'll have to, what, relocate and crowd up on the sidewalk to smoke? This is disruptive and in the way of pedestrians. Not to mention tables won't clear up as fast on the patio.

And for those club-goers who do smoke frequently/socially, the patio is the only place they CAN go. I suppose every club/bar in Toronto will have to allow in and out privileges now... (beyond the patio). I guess more sidewalks/roads will become crowded?
Smu / September 23, 2013 at 07:17 pm
Adam's Mom replying to a comment from Adam's Dad / September 23, 2013 at 08:11 pm
Maybe you could try satisfying me instead of jerking off thinking about your secretary. I want a divorce you smug bastard. No wonder Adam is the way he his.
Hell No. / September 23, 2013 at 08:49 pm
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.
Benedict / September 23, 2013 at 09:21 pm
It should be banned from city sidewalks as well!
BM replying to a comment from Matt / September 23, 2013 at 10:02 pm
Smoke wherever you want. You already do.
Just lose the entitlement. It looks bad on everyone, not just people with rotting teeth and gray skin.
:-)
Steven / September 23, 2013 at 10:04 pm
Shawn replying to a comment from Matt / September 23, 2013 at 10:45 pm
The difference is that cigarette smoke harms others AND it can be unavoidable. There's no reason why it shouldn't be banned from outdoors in a civilized society.
common sense / September 23, 2013 at 11:13 pm
Oooh to the fools who continue to pay the government to poison themselves... Why do you think it's OK to expose others to your poor decision? Lets get real here. We all know smoking is not good for you. Full of toxic junk. If that's what you want to do to yourself, go for it! We need some population control. However why on earth do you think it is ok to expose others to YOUR personal choice? How selfish. I do not choose to poison myself in this way, so why should I be subjected to if I want to eat on a patio.. or walk on the sidewalk.. or go to a sports field etc? Why do I have to stay locked up in my home if I want to avoid this? YOU should be locked up in your home if you CHOOSE to continue your bad habit.
jack / September 23, 2013 at 11:55 pm
People still smoke cigarettes?! What year is this, 1994?!
I am completely over this smokers' false sense of entitlement. If you want to poison yourself, do it where you are justifiably isolated.
Oh, and why do smokers still think its socially acceptable to throw their disgusting butts on the ground? I would be happy to ban cigarettes just to stop the littering.
Mark / September 24, 2013 at 12:04 am
Yes absolutely. It's retched.
Mark replying to a comment from Mark / September 24, 2013 at 12:05 am
*wretched
Thomas / September 24, 2013 at 12:09 am
It wasn't already? Man.. here I was like a jerk leaving patios to smoke.
v79 / September 24, 2013 at 12:34 am
Being a non smoker, I can't really recall a time where smoking on patios has bothered me. Most smokers are fully aware of others and generally don't smoke if people nearby are eating, or if they seem troubled by the smoke, and in general, as long as the smoker is not sitting right beside you, the smoke will not blow in your face. Either way, if these changes do go through, they must at the same time bring back designated smoking rooms in establishments that wish to have them (no food and beverage service allowed so that staff are not affected, simply a very well ventilated room for smokers to go). What we don't want is people who've had a few or more alcoholic beverages going onto the sidewalks every twenty minutes blocking pedestrian traffic, making crowd control a pain and increasing the possibly of having people sneak drinks out while they smoke.
sean / September 24, 2013 at 02:18 am
moved here from Vancouver. you know, the city that sees itself as perpetually your inferior? they banned patio smoking 10 years ago. it is thriving. particularly the west end,where patios are not choking under old grey gay smokers...learn something Toronto
ginnee / September 24, 2013 at 04:48 am
There's little to no enforcement of the existing laws. When was the last time you saw a cop charging someone for smoking in the currently restricted areas?

And it's not going to make a lot of difference if the smokers just move outside the barrier but beside the sidewalk patio to smoke.
skube / September 24, 2013 at 07:57 am
Seanster / September 24, 2013 at 08:28 am
I imagine this would work as well as banning cell phones in cars or the current ban on not smoking within 20 feet of the door way; not at all. Laws are really no use if they are not enforced.
Dare / September 24, 2013 at 08:35 am
I agree with Dylan and Stephen - YES!!!!!
Emma / September 24, 2013 at 09:02 am
Okay I am not a smoker and do hate when people smoke around me because well I think it's gross unhealthy and smelly BUT all these people say ban it on the sidewalk too etc etc sounds more like banning smoking ENTIRELY which really isn't the option is it? If I smoked and went to a bar I would want to smoke on an outdoor patio period.
Emma / September 24, 2013 at 09:04 am
Also Vancouver is so strict. Hello cops on 4 wheelers at 8am at Kits beach. These moms with their babies are really up to trouble.
Stra / September 24, 2013 at 09:10 am
I'm a smoker and I don't really care about the patio ban. The government should really ban tobacco sales altogether and fund clinics to help people kick the habit. As a long time smoker, I want to quit just as much as I obviously need to quit. But what a drug. And it's not about the tobacco or nicotine - it's all about the other 900+ chemicals that they add to a cigarette that gets you hooked. The government does this (and screw the black market - it will exist) and we'll all be better off.
Steve / September 24, 2013 at 09:11 am
Yes! Don't affect me with your bad decisions...
Litter / September 24, 2013 at 09:47 am
Ban flicking cigarette butts everywhere.
Chris / September 24, 2013 at 11:17 am
I have to disagree with the patio and outdoor senario, but seriously some people wantig to ban smoking on the sidewalks, dhit if that by-law passes why dont we just ban smoking in toronto. Get real people and grow up you inhail much worse then second hand smoke.
trickydisco replying to a comment from Shawn C. / September 24, 2013 at 11:32 am
gee wittle Shawn...that must hurt weely weely bad.
a 'mouthful of blood'
you best be seeing a doctor, that isn't from someones cigarette.
j-rock / September 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm
I think that smoking is gross and pretty dumb, but as a city we have far bigger fish to fry. Does anyone else remember when everyone in Toronto wasn't constantly pissed off about everything, all the time? That was nice.
Todd / September 24, 2013 at 01:16 pm
Pretty much gonna smoke wherever I want and wait until someone does something about it. Which they won't, because this is the passive aggressive capital of the world, so they'll huff and puff and bitch on BlogTo about it.

"OHHHH THE SMELL BOTHERS ME AND YOU'LL GET CANCER"... well, your face bothers me and you'll die alone (probably from complications resulting from the ulcers you get fixating on whatever the fuck it is people who aren't you, do).
Todd / September 24, 2013 at 01:17 pm
Oh, fake cough in front of me. It REALLY shows me and it definitely doesn't make you look like a passive aggressive idiot who doesn't have the balls to do anything about it.
I do Smoke... / September 24, 2013 at 01:46 pm
Why are we so focused on smoking - why can't we ban the crack heads that hang around church and queen at 11pm - 2am.

People are going to continue to smoke regardless... drinking and smoking go hand and hand.

I think it's a waste of time to control when there is plenty else to focus on, what are we turning into, the states????

If this law passes, I hope I'm the first to get fined for smoking... Just so I can not pay it and frame the ticket for my wall of debauchery...

I'm starting my own smokers club - WHO'S IN!
Gonzo / September 24, 2013 at 02:11 pm
People still smoke? Wait till the king of England hears about this!

Sandra / September 24, 2013 at 02:33 pm
Ban smoking on patios and apartment balconies
Matt replying to a comment from trickydisco / September 24, 2013 at 03:00 pm
Probably from the last cock he sucked.
Matt replying to a comment from j-rock / September 24, 2013 at 03:01 pm
yes, before the Left took over and started banning everything and legislating everyone else to be in line with them.
kasual / September 24, 2013 at 03:32 pm
Yes, 100 percent yes. As a non-smoker I appreciate a patio that is non-smoking and I will go out of my way to find one. Like many people have already commented, trying to enjoy a drink and / or a meal while a cloud of second hand smoke hangs over you is unpleasant and harmful to your health. The overwhelming evidence of the danger smoking poses to your health should be a enough to ban it from most places. I would prefer to not have my health affected by the choices of others, whenever possible. This also ties into a larger movement to making smoking so difficult and expensive that it will drive more people to quit, alleviating a considerable drain on our public health care system. A smart and progressive move (if Toronto has the stones to go through with it...)
Michael / September 24, 2013 at 03:33 pm
We should look into the shenanigans of Toronto's Medical Officer of Health, David McKeown. Remember when he recommended all city streets be 40km/hr?

I mean, if you want attention for your department in the absence of SARS, this is what you do. You make sensational reports that are outside of the jurisdiction of your level of government that have maximum impact with minimum effectiveness.
kasual / September 24, 2013 at 03:36 pm
And no, people wont stop going to bars because of a smoking ban. A nice patio on a warm day will still be a primary gathering place, smokers will just have to go stand on the sidewalk and do their business.

Whatever happens it wont be enough to drive people out to, god forbid, Mississauga. If you're a smoker and smoking ban is enough to drive out of Toronto just so you can light up while sitting with your beer, good riddance and enjoy the trip.
j-rock replying to a comment from Matt / September 24, 2013 at 03:43 pm
Thanks for diagnosing the problem. Who knew it was "the left" all along? Darn those people who don't agree with you 100% of the time.
C.S.B. / September 24, 2013 at 03:49 pm
I don't smoke, I do enjoy a fine cigar every now and then.

It's my choice to enjoy the aroma, what's next banning smoking on my balcony and in my home?

Tell you what, make it optional for bars, provide incentives if you must to owners to go smoke free but also give them the option of a smoking and non-smoking patio!
the lemur replying to a comment from j-rock / September 24, 2013 at 04:27 pm
Unfortunately the reaction of the Left to this is to force everyone else to "agree" via legislation.
Youngin replying to a comment from J / September 24, 2013 at 05:04 pm
Died Laughing! But so true!
Youngin replying to a comment from cathy / September 24, 2013 at 05:07 pm
I totally agree - its pretty atrocious how disgusting and how much smokey air filters into the apartments. Taping up cracks around the doorways or towels under the door don't do the job. They should certainly get on banning it in apartment buildings - no less, I live in a historic building .. meanwhile people could burn down the place from the inside.
Me replying to a comment from Youngin / September 24, 2013 at 05:40 pm
And ban anyone who cooks anything that has any smell to it.
Joy replying to a comment from TTop / September 24, 2013 at 09:33 pm
How is it going too far? I'm the one suffering by smelling the stink of cigarettes. I don't want to sit on a patio smelling those poisons.
Matt replying to a comment from Joy / September 24, 2013 at 10:08 pm
So, stay off the patio. Problem solved.
bobby / September 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm
Everyone needs to start vaping already it's 2013, in 10 years no one will be smoking analogs, I vape in every bar INDOORS and only a few of them have a problem with it. They smell good, like fruit or vanilla not like disgusting burning
Josh Carver replying to a comment from Joy / September 25, 2013 at 12:19 am
Leave it up to the business owner. I only see people smoking outside of bars prominently. This is next level nanny state, if you don't like it fucking go somewhere else you mongo. You act like every single patio is one big pyre of tobacco. Realistically at this point the relative minority of the population of smokes is in bars and bar patios. Maybe you can go to the McDonalds play place and partake in a meal with others who can't grasp the adult concept of playing nice and making big boy decisions?
RD / September 25, 2013 at 09:33 am
if you voluntarily inhale toxic fumes, you are an idiot. so let's change that headline to:
"Should idiots be banned on Toronto patios?"
the lemur replying to a comment from the lemur / September 25, 2013 at 10:08 am
Okay, yeah, I didn't write that (I wouldn't have capitalized left and I would have put a comma somewhere). I really don't know what you get out of pretending to be me.
K / September 25, 2013 at 10:31 am
"From all the available evidence, it appears that any effect of passive smoke on risk of any of the major diseases that have been associated with active smoking is at most small, and may not exist at all."

joy replying to a comment from Josh Carver / September 25, 2013 at 09:33 pm
It's not about how many people smoke on a patio, or even what kind of establishment it is. If one person smokes on it, it ruins the experience for all the non smokers.
Karen / September 25, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Yup

Smoking is gross and proven dangerous...plus it smells.
annakarenina / September 26, 2013 at 09:37 pm
no, eat a bag of dicks
Alex / September 27, 2013 at 02:50 pm
Yeah, do it. The majority of people are non-smokers and the smell of smoke is disgusting so this makes things better for the majority of people. Smokers are so entitled, they need to grow up and start acting like adults. You wouldn't want me to put on some disgustingly strong perfume and sit next to you on a patio, so why would I want to smell your smoke?
rapi / September 30, 2013 at 10:27 am
so lets look at some statistics: just a quick google search :

In 2008, 15,935 people were killed in alcohol-related traffic crashes, an average of one every 33 minutes. These deaths constituted approximately 38.4% of the total 41,471 total traffic fatalities in Canada.

In 2007, it is estimated that 24,000 Canadians will be diagnosed with lung cancer.

and now lets see what should be banned first.....hmmmmmmmmm
Me replying to a comment from rapi / September 30, 2013 at 10:44 am
Cellphones?
nardl blarn / September 30, 2013 at 12:37 pm
All these people complaining about smoking outside are obviously losers, still hung up on not being popular at school and jealous of anyone else having a nice time. Get over it!
rapi replying to a comment from Me / September 30, 2013 at 07:16 pm
your answer is correct, you now qualify for next level
Weez / October 3, 2013 at 10:21 am
Yet another push by the city to drive away any remaining tourism that Toronto might have gotten.

C. Rooney / November 14, 2013 at 08:13 pm
Ridiculous! All the non-smokers need to suck it up and educate your self on REAL issues. Just because someone smokes does not mean you should be treated as second class citizen, and second. We breath in so many chemicals an pollution everyday from factories and automobiles that nobody cares to speak up on or take action for. You think Cigarettes cause Global Warming???? As stated by many people above there is no major second hand smoke concerns from being on a patio. Just because you "smell smoke" it doesn't mean you've inhaled. If my neighbour is having a BBQ and the wind blow smoke into my backyard is that a crime???? any smoke inhalation is bad whether from tobacco tp coal to even a piece of dam grass from the lawn. Are we going to ban backyard BBQ's next?? Get a grip people, anybody in support of this is a Buffoon
steven / November 19, 2013 at 11:10 am
I find it interesting, Liberals such as Justin Trudeau trying to legalize marijuana to the general public, I mean really an illegal drug made illegal for almost a century and now tries to legalize it. Back to the point, cigarettes a decade ago were banned from indoors, which I understand, but now they try to take away patios from smokers as well. It only would make sense that marijuana tokers would be legally allowed to smoke indoors at ‘vapor lounges’, incredible really an illegal being smoked indoors, as well as paraphernalia being rented out at the front counter. Patios were introduced to compensate for smokers, but all the fake coughs and complains about the scent of cigarettes are leading to the abolishment of the only thing smokers had left. I understand it’s a bad habit, but its in peoples heritage, smoking doesn’t mean you have low IQ or are uneducated, that is simply a portrayal of ones who are against it. The action toward smoker is actually appalling, the portrayal of them, the discrimination, and the segmentation against them, society has made them feel like criminals. If it’s such a bad habit then the government should ban it, but what’s stopping them, oh right, the 80% tax revenues off of every pack of cigarettes they receive. As well for all you ‘pot smoking’ liberals out their just remember marijuana contain 50% more tar than cigarettes and 20% more carcinogens, as well as causing paranoia, schizophrenia, and anxiety. As well if the government wants to go through with this ban then I would like to see other actions taken towards such issues as marijuana and alcohol, such as putting a stop to these vapor lounges.
Toni / November 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm
Good on you!!! You hit the nail on the head. I so agree with your analyses of the paradox.
Thank you!
Toni / November 19, 2013 at 12:17 pm
P.S. My comment was directed to Steven.