Thursday, October 23, 2014Partly Cloudy 8°C

Project Ukulele Gangsterism strikes again

Posted by Derek Flack / June 26, 2013

Project Ukulele GangsterismThe ukulele gangsters were back at it this morning. Last spotted on the TTC back in April, the troupe of musicians wound its way through the Financial District this morning in an effort to inject a little fun into the mundanity of the workday commute along the PATH and at Union Station. The song was cheerful and group jovial as onlookers often broke out in smiles upon encountering the surprise performance. For more on the "gangsters" see our previous post, and for a glimpse of the action have a look at the photos below.

Project Ukulele GangsterismProject Ukulele GangsterismProject Ukulele GangsterismProject Ukulele GangsterismProject Ukulele GangsterismProject Ukulele GangsterismProject Ukulele GangsterismProject Ukulele GangsterismProject Ukulele GangsterismPhotos by Jason Cook. For more shots of the event check out his Flickr stream.

Rich / June 26, 2013 at 01:32 pm
I can't help but notice all the people doing everything they can to avoid this group of attention seekers.
Mark replying to a comment from Rich / June 26, 2013 at 01:42 pm
Half empty?

Be it as it seems, something like this is always a welcomed event in the morning commute. I would love to have been in their musical path.
kim / June 26, 2013 at 01:44 pm
I wish there was a video
AmH / June 26, 2013 at 02:03 pm

Stuff people like. Dogs hate this sh*t.
Ben replying to a comment from Rich / June 26, 2013 at 02:16 pm
Thank you.
lister / June 26, 2013 at 02:55 pm
Sorry, still don't get it.

But whatever floats your boat I guess.
Khristopher / June 26, 2013 at 03:13 pm
So weird. Don't these people have jobs? I understand it's fun and whatever, but get out of my way when I'm trying to meander my way around hoards of people. Also, playing in front of Union Station like that, where it's currently under construction and everyone is already squeezed into the tiny area where the steps are, therefore blocking the flow, is stupid and dangerous.
David / June 26, 2013 at 03:29 pm
Folks like Khristopher and Rich are perfect examples of what the rest of Canada hates about Toronto.
JT / June 26, 2013 at 03:35 pm
As much as they're trying to do good/be positive, there is enough noise pollution during my commute. This is just another wave of sound I don't have a choice in listening to.
CASIE / June 26, 2013 at 03:38 pm
Love it. I have a uke too, need to join this gang!
David / June 26, 2013 at 03:39 pm
"I understand it's fun and whatever" - I LOVE this line! It tells you everything you need to know about this fellow.
Rob / June 26, 2013 at 03:48 pm
Hey guys look at me! Whoaaaaaa, I mean us! Look at us! We're forcing you to listen to us! We're cramming into a dank construction-filled zone during your overcrowded commutes to bring good cheer and stuff! And don't you dare write on the internet about how selfish, dangerous, stupid, ridiculous, self-congratulatory, and annoying we're being! If you do, it means you don't like fun, but more importantly, it reenforces why the rest of Canada hates Toronto!

Yay us! Say, do you guys wanna nosh on some brekkie? OMG. That's going on Pinterest!
john / June 26, 2013 at 04:02 pm
Christ I hate these flashmob assholes. Keep your twee selves to yourselves, without inflicting it on the rest of us. The world does not revolve around your special snowflake-ness.
Terry / June 26, 2013 at 04:08 pm
Brings out the Bluto Blutarski in me.
Daniel / June 26, 2013 at 04:31 pm
How much of a boring person do you have to be to crap on people playing ukuleles during morning commutes?
James / June 26, 2013 at 04:32 pm
Wow, so many haters. Torontonians need to lighten up. They're freakin ukuleles people. Common.
love it / June 26, 2013 at 05:01 pm
ukes rule!
ryan / June 26, 2013 at 06:15 pm
I would totally have an awesome day if I saw these guys coming towards me playing some beautiful tunes on some ukes. That would definitely improve my mood.

But instead they're literally singing the words "Have an awesome day" over and over in the most monotone, lifeless way imaginable.

It's cringeworthy.
Zam / June 26, 2013 at 06:38 pm
Man! You guys were awesome!! I dont think ive smiled on the way to work...uhh ever! Thank you for making my morning commute a little bit easier. Keep doing what you're doing. Nothing but love from this torontonian!! (Sidenote: i saw nothing but commuters smiling and snapping pics, dont listen to the D-bags above)
Rob / June 26, 2013 at 07:58 pm
Ukes make me pukes
SimonsMom / June 26, 2013 at 08:23 pm
At least they're positive annoying people. lmao.
It's your boy / June 26, 2013 at 08:56 pm
I heard you guys this morning on my way to work and you guys totally made my day! I also filmed a little bit and got a chance to show it to my co-workers who loved it! I'm so shocked that there were so many haters. Let them hate, but keep doing your thing, cause you guys are awesome!
Mike / June 26, 2013 at 09:53 pm
How interesting that so many people react so negatively to people (whom I know personally) who are simply trying to brighten people's otherwise dreary commutes. It speaks volumes to how self-absorbed and so protective of their personal space they are. In other countries and societies people embrace public/civic life and the freedom of self-expression - even when it doesn't necessarily align with their own personal values or tastes.

All I can say is, lame on you for being such joy-hating miserable bastards.
Dave / June 26, 2013 at 11:00 pm
Kudos to these people. A little creative disruption to break up the routine of the commute is just what I need. I don't get angry at the thousands of ads directed my way...and the free samples and the pamphlets and the Cinnabon smell...so I don't get the haters who can't take one brief interaction with something as simple as music. Keep playing.
Jenny / June 26, 2013 at 11:06 pm
I feel so sad for the people that feel the need to comment on this lovely event with such anger and resentment. When happiness makes you angry, it's time to fix something about yourself and your life.

Have an awesome day, people of Toronto!
Recorder Gangsterism / June 26, 2013 at 11:21 pm
Look out!
JohnySilve / June 26, 2013 at 11:40 pm
In my day, when we wanted to get noticed, we'd grow a mohawk, shave the sides and stand for something.
Tulillia / June 26, 2013 at 11:50 pm
Has anyone thought of the social or economical impact of such an initiative. Considering these instruments were issued to be played and enjoyed in outdoor events and social gatherings I think we'll be just fine. Go or no GO? GO!!
Edmund / June 26, 2013 at 11:53 pm
Does anyone know the cultural backlash alignment with these statements or aat least the cultural references licensed and legal to use and abuse. DO you hear me?
bobby g / June 27, 2013 at 12:58 am
Attention seaking scumbags.. get a life.
Mel / June 27, 2013 at 07:28 am
And all you Grumpy Gus's are why I'm glad my commute to work doesn't involve going downtown Toronto anymore. Lighten up, people. Toronto doesn't have to be the No Fun Zone.
kstop / June 27, 2013 at 08:09 am
Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBNss2PMj60
Rob replying to a comment from Khristopher / June 27, 2013 at 11:10 am
Stop and smell roses, dude.
Rob replying to a comment from bobby g / June 27, 2013 at 11:13 am
And a good morning to you too!
Lin replying to a comment from john / June 27, 2013 at 02:27 pm
@John, Christ I hate these comment leaving assholes like yourself. Keep your misanthropic selves to yourselves, without inflicting it on the rest of us by denigrating a happy post with your negativity. The world does not revolve around your special snowflake-ness, so you really don't need to share with us what a pathetic little basement dweller you are. Let's be frank: no one cares whether you live or die, let alone about your feelings on ukuleles.
SimonsMom replying to a comment from Lin / June 27, 2013 at 03:05 pm
No one cares about you either so..........it's the internet, no one cares about any of this as none of it matters in the real world. Oh nooooooo.....BWAHAHAHAAA!!
Phil / June 28, 2013 at 04:48 pm
Looks like the Fruity Ukuladies weren't in the mix! Weird!! https://www.youtube.com/user/FruityUkuladies
Chad / June 29, 2013 at 11:41 pm
Wow. I cannot believe how pathetic the viewers of this site are. Clearly, all a bunch of angry young men who desperately, DESPERATELY want to be that ridiculous stereotype of the busy Bay street guy who hates everything. Joking with each other who is more like Tony Montana and snapping towels on each others asses. Hey I have a great idea. After you all get together tomorrow morning for a quick breakfast of steel bolts and hair remover, you can all fist pump each other, tell yourselves how awesome you all are and create your own flash mob where you'll just stand in a more convenient place, out of everyone's way and growl and heckle at passers-by.
And let me just clarify one thing, these guys are not Torontonians. Torontonians are awesome and they are progressive. These boys should all get back to Thornhill and Pickering and Mississauga because I heard those places really miss their misery and promise to never flash anything at them. Can't you be an intern there?