Tuesday, July 22, 2014Partly Cloudy 28°C

House of the Week: 98 Old Colony Road

Posted by Robyn Urback / March 12, 2013

98 Old Colony Road TorontoSecret passageways, a rolling ladder, indoor-everything, and premium finishes. But what is this — no golf simulation studio?! Well, I suppose prospective tenants of 98 Old Colony Road will have to make due with just an indoor pool, games room, sauna, squash court, wet bar, drums room, and more. Sacrifices, you know? While you can get the whole package for just shy of $8 million, I'd be happy with the winding bookcase and hidden built-in passageway. If only expired TTC tickets counted as legal currency.

98 Old Colony Rd TorontoSPECS:

Exercise room
Wine cellar
Sauna
Billiards room
Drum room
Wet bar
Master ensuite with double-sided vanity, jetted tub, rain shower, two toilets
Separate his and her master walk-in closets
Built-in shelving
Spiral staircase
Hidden bookshelf doors to secret rooms
Bosch and Miele appliances
Heated driveway
Three-car garage

98 Old Colony Road TorontoGOOD FOR:

Insatiable readers, Dewey Decimal loyalists, anyone who gets excited by the phrase "hidden doorway" (guilty). Good for those who don't want to have to share anything with their partners (including toilet seats), as well as impassioned drummers/squash-players/pool sharks/swimmers, especially those who don't want to leave home to practice.

98 Old Colony RoadMOVE ON IF:

You're a struggling recluse and you fear never leaving your home. You get lost easily. You'd rather spend your money on eight $1 million homes, rather than one $8 million home.

Additional Photos

98 Old Colony Road98 Old Colony Road98 Old Colony Road98 Old Colony Road98 Old Colony Road98 Old Colony Road98 Old Colony Road98 Old Colony Road98 Old Colony RoadIf you had the dough, would you buy this home? Let us know where you stand in the comments below.

Taxes? / March 12, 2013 at 08:34 am
The property tax is only $30,000? WTF? The property tax on an "average" $1M North Toronto home is in the ballpark of $8,000. How is it the $8M home on a lot more than 5x as big only has to pay $30,000? What happened to current value assessment based tax?
Skye / March 12, 2013 at 08:53 am
THAT BOOKCASE AND STAIRCASE. It's like Belle's library from "Beauty And The Beast". Sign me up.
mike1234 / March 12, 2013 at 08:58 am
I would actually really like to know who the current owner is. You've got to be doing pretttttty well to owns this little gem
Library Computer / March 12, 2013 at 08:59 am
I suspect the reason I am a library computer is that the only way I can consume such a household is by viewing it on BlogTO.com. Does this website actually score that high on wealth indexes that an $8m dollar home is how to hook the readers?
Library Computer / March 12, 2013 at 09:08 am
Actually, it's fitting that on this house listing on BlogTO.com, a new advertiser on this site had debuted. There is going to be an MGM Casino recruitment fair this Saturday. I expect thousands of people, none of whom will ever be able to afford the home.
John / March 12, 2013 at 09:17 am
This being on "Old Colony" road is shockingly appropriate.
goofy / March 12, 2013 at 09:24 am
Just because you have money does not mean you have taste. Worst decorating ever. So ugly....
B / March 12, 2013 at 09:27 am
Would buy. Looks like something out of a murder mystery novel.
Brandon replying to a comment from goofy / March 12, 2013 at 09:27 am
Agreed, but damn do I ever want that staircase/library, backyard kitchen, indoor pool and squash court!
Sean replying to a comment from goofy / March 12, 2013 at 09:30 am
Youch no kidding.
Me replying to a comment from Taxes? / March 12, 2013 at 09:32 am
Probably Robyn made a mistake when she copy and pasted it from the real estate compamny's site.
... / March 12, 2013 at 09:40 am
That's a pretty impressive house.
Smoo007 / March 12, 2013 at 09:44 am
Oh sweet mercy yes.
Ron / March 12, 2013 at 10:07 am
Proof positive that lawyers make FAR too much money.
Chris P / March 12, 2013 at 10:07 am
Doors to secret rooms? Who is the owner? Bruce Wayne?
Mel / March 12, 2013 at 10:16 am
Sweet can I marry the owner of this house? A man or a woman I don't care
J-Dan replying to a comment from goofy / March 12, 2013 at 10:21 am
It's so true Goofy! More money = less taste. Looking at the decor is blinding! I guess though, it would be a bit echo-y if they went for a minimalist approach...
Stan / March 12, 2013 at 10:47 am
Concept = amazing. Interior decorating = terrible.
bill / March 12, 2013 at 10:51 am
wait ,wait walkscore of 47! no deal.
Aaron / March 12, 2013 at 10:55 am
From the headache-inducing bathroom to the genuine-faux/faux-genuine cracks in the wine cellar wall, the owners clearly chose the 'Xtra Klassy w/ Lotsa Books' option from the builder's catalogue!
Abe / March 12, 2013 at 11:14 am
Ugh, being in that pink bathroom on acid...sign me up.
Jkay / March 12, 2013 at 12:11 pm
Who previously lived here?! Crazy, the amount of money ppl have! - Poor man
Jen / March 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm
Any woman would be lying to say she wouldn't dream of living here... my god.
Christy / March 12, 2013 at 12:36 pm
I do like the bookcase and the swimming pool, but the house decor is pretty tacky.
Kristina / March 12, 2013 at 01:05 pm
This is a GORGEOUS house! I would definitely buy this house! I like that every room has its own personality!

LOVE ITTTTTTT!
Alex / March 12, 2013 at 01:40 pm
Bungalow? It looks like 2 stories from the outside and inside.

That library is amazing, plus hidden rooms would be super cool, even though I would never have a real reason to use them.
c / March 12, 2013 at 02:02 pm
i'm WEEPING you had me at the first picture. filing this under "things i'll never have but desperately want"
nicole replying to a comment from Aaron / March 12, 2013 at 02:44 pm
Lol! What is with people trying to recreate French chateaux or Italian villas (and doing a very poor job of it)? These fantasy palaces are beyond cheeseball and have no relation to the site - or country - they're built upon. If you can't afford to buy the real deal in their country of origin, just don't bother. Tacky, tacky, tacky.
Fof / March 12, 2013 at 02:59 pm
It's true that the decor is horrible, but you don't get the furniture with the place, do you? Or maybe it's different when rich people sell their houses? I guess if you can afford to buy the house, you can afford to paint/redecorate.
Skye replying to a comment from Alex / March 12, 2013 at 03:01 pm
Looks like it has a walkout basement, making the front of the house one storey but the back of it two storeys. The amazing staircase goes from the main level to the basement (if we can call it that).
n / March 12, 2013 at 03:11 pm
Some people earn less than property taxes on the house.
I like the pool, bookcase and the outdoor kitchen. However, the interior would need to be redesigned. I guess if you have so much to spend on a house, that would be just like bakshish.

I don't understand when presenting these houses, why so much emphasis is put on interior design. Unless you have the same taste as the person selling the house, you always need to renovate and change the design based on your taste.

My guess lawyer, politician or a CEO.
Sadie / March 12, 2013 at 03:25 pm
That bookcase, wine cellar and backyard patio/kitchen/dining area are amazing! ...Although that 1980s grandma's-house-in-Florida floral bedroom and the hideous kitchen back splash just won't do.
Ola / March 12, 2013 at 04:03 pm
I take the library, staircase, pool and squash court. The ugly blue floral bedroom could be yours.
stopitman replying to a comment from Taxes? / March 12, 2013 at 07:12 pm
I did the math for using the 2013 rates, and I'm probably wrong, but I got $42,700 ($8M @ 0.5337653%). Just to show you how low taxes are in Toronto, compare that to a place like Oakville where the 2012 property taxes would be about $74,000! (Halton + Oakville property taxes). Oshawa would have a combined rate of $112,000-130,000/year (1.4 or 1.6%):S Correct me if my math is wrong
Spin Doc / March 12, 2013 at 09:33 pm
I jammed in that drum room. House and the lovely couple that built it are both awesome.
Sheezy / March 13, 2013 at 12:24 pm
How can you talk about hidden bookshelf doors and secret rooms without showing pics?!?!?
L. / March 15, 2013 at 04:34 pm
All that money still can't buy you good taste. shame
L. / March 15, 2013 at 04:37 pm
Imagine being hung over in the bedroom with that blue patterned carpet???!!! YIKES
Bill Stewart / April 3, 2013 at 10:47 am
Hi Robyn
We are starting a new web video site on Canadian antiques. I saw your "best of" blog and would like to talk to you, if possible 647 299 0110
thanks,
Bill
Traudl / July 10, 2014 at 05:11 am
I can puke free with my finger; don't need to spend eight million.