Thursday, October 2, 2014Cloudy 16°C

House of the Week: 219 Roe Avenue

Posted by Amy Michelle Smith / March 26, 2013

219 Roe AvenueLocated on a quiet cul de sac in Toronto's near Avenue and Wilson, this ultra-contemporary, stylish 4-bedroom home is the first constructed by Studio Architectonic Inc., a new design firm bent on creating sustainable, contemporary homes for the future. Combining the ease and cost-efficiency of pre-fabricated homes with unique design customization, 219 Roe Avenue is like the artificial intelligence of real estate.

Heated floors, electronic window fixtures and a Smart Home Automation system allow full control over lighting, entertainment systems, heating/air conditioning and the like. Perhaps 2001: A Space Oddyssey wasn't too far off in its predictions of the not-so-distant future...let's just hope we don't have Hal 2.0 on our hands.

219 Roe AvenueSPECS:

Exterior: Brick

219 Roe AvenueNOTABLE FEATURES:

Smart Home Automation System
Electric heated floors
Electric window fixtures
Floating stairs
Glass and white oak accessories
Imported Boffi Kitchen
13-foot ceilings

219 Roe AvenueGOOD FOR:

Slick suburban hipsters, environment-enthusiasts, exhibitionists (a lot of glass walls) and science fiction fans. This residence might also be attractive to those who like to use the word "postmodern" a lot.

219 AvenueMOVE ON IF:

You're offended by the adage of "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." Or, you know, if you like to throw stones...

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS

219 Roe Avenue219 Roe Avenue219 Roe Avenue219 Avenue219 Roe AvenueIf you had the dough, would you buy this home? Let us know where you stand in the comments below.

Sploosh / March 26, 2013 at 02:45 pm
That bathtub faucet is so high it must splash everywhere when you fill the bath.

And just the right height for your kids to smash their heads on.
Sarah replying to a comment from Sploosh / March 26, 2013 at 02:51 pm
I was almost sold on this house until you pointed that out. Thank you. But seriously, high faucets are the worst. They don't look nice and thye make a mess of everything. Hate when they're on sinks. "Oh sure, yea I do want to also get my shirt soaked while I wash my hands. No need for a washing machine with this tall faucet! How efficient!"
Vivi / March 26, 2013 at 02:52 pm
White and cold, just like Canada's winters!
Sarah / March 26, 2013 at 02:54 pm
That red accent lamp in the office is a nice change of pace. What a dull and boring looking home.
Lucy / March 26, 2013 at 02:56 pm
If I had an extra 2.5 mil, I'd def buy it. Minimal and beautiful. And to the above bathroom haters, that's just one of 4, I'm sure there's one that's suitable for children.
trickydisco / March 26, 2013 at 02:58 pm
nice space - can't stand the seat covers though, they're hideous...also I think that bathtub may be an ensuite so no worries about the kids...
far as the price goes, i think it's way too high, far better neighborhoods downtown for a lot less
Jo / March 26, 2013 at 03:01 pm
I love this home! I walk by it, and several that look like it, almost everyday (I live in the area..in a much cheaper...crappier..home). I was always so freaking curious as to what it looked like inside, and now I know. If I had the millions, I'd SO live here!
George / March 26, 2013 at 03:01 pm
I wouldn't trade in my 900$ bachelor apt for this place.
john / March 26, 2013 at 03:33 pm
are these photos or renderings? hard to tell in some of them.
Nerves / March 26, 2013 at 04:02 pm
Far too white. I can't tell one room from the next. Even some bright tones from art or furniture would make this place much much better. Decidedly arctic.
Nerves / March 26, 2013 at 04:03 pm
Seriously, the only thing I remember about the house was the red lamp in the office.
Qaf / March 26, 2013 at 04:11 pm
I find it very beautiful and modern but it is the kind of house where I would only find enjoyment in activities that do not involve touching the furniture. Think of all the fingerprints and coffee rings all over those glossy surfaces!! Would actually spend 50% of my time obsessively polishing things.

But nice house for people who are either extremely clean or not obsessive.
realtalk / March 26, 2013 at 04:20 pm
Very cold.
Aaron / March 26, 2013 at 05:07 pm
The Render family lives here and have rented it out to the producers of 'Canadian Psycho'. Coming to theatres soon!
Fred / March 26, 2013 at 05:43 pm
It's a gorgeous home! I definitely like the clean, minimalist look. As for the comments about it being too white and cold, if you had the money to buy this place, you'd have the money to paint the rooms whatever warm colours you want.
Robert / March 26, 2013 at 07:17 pm
Stunning.
I am sure once you bought it you can make the needed changes. Personalize it, this is someone else's style.
moi / March 26, 2013 at 07:33 pm
I love the clean lines and the open staircase, but yup, waaaaaaay too much white. Even the accent 'colours' other than the one wee red lamp in the office are blahingly beige. This house with it's bright open feel is screaming for real colour and if given to me, would be stunning in no time. :)
m holmes / March 26, 2013 at 07:39 pm
i don't think that glass banister or fence is to code. i'm reporting it to the city.
Wendy replying to a comment from m holmes / March 26, 2013 at 10:07 pm
Oh you would , that's what is wrong with this country ... What your worried its not ugly enough ?
Next we will be all walking around helmets on .
Your shows might be a little more interesting if you stopped with the government attitude and actually showed some talent of code and asthetics combined .
Me / March 26, 2013 at 10:16 pm
Robyn is writing under an assumed name now? TOO FUNNY!!
David / March 27, 2013 at 03:30 am
Too many unamusing witticisms here.
george replying to a comment from john / March 27, 2013 at 09:03 am
These are HDR photos. Some are ok some are not...like the one of the kitchen from up high...very poor perspective into how big the dining space actually is.
chairman / March 27, 2013 at 09:30 am
ughh, dump those barcellona chairs. heinous.
Me replying to a comment from john / March 27, 2013 at 09:54 am
They're taken from the Real Estate ad without permission.
D / March 27, 2013 at 04:37 pm
I know this area extremely well. The location of this property is pretty terrible. It's a great neighbourhood, but only a couple houses away from a public parking lot, and the parking lot for McDonalds. It is in a col-de-sac, but in a way that makes it worse because it feels like your trapped beside McDonalds whenever you're in it. With the high price tag, you can do better.
J. P. McFarlane / March 27, 2013 at 06:03 pm
I would paint the whole place black in contrast to the 'rendered' white look.
Stevo g(something Greek or Lithuanian) / March 27, 2013 at 11:15 pm
I like the architecture. Great interior design too... a shame about the exterior... The front elevation is lacking. . Everything else is spot on, (for my taste anyways).
Fran O'Meara / March 28, 2013 at 12:02 pm
Like the outside, but the inside is too stark for my taste. Doesn't look or feel kid friendly but has 4 bedrooms. Interesting.
Tanya Barclay (Mitchell) / June 7, 2013 at 06:57 pm
My parents were the first owners of this house when it was first built in 1949 The only thing I see is the tree we planted then. What a massive change.
Jessjess / July 22, 2014 at 10:14 pm
the winter scene outside seems fitting for such a cold and dead looking house.