Wednesday, August 20, 2014Mostly Cloudy 18°C

The 2012 Photos of the Year: Round Three

Posted by Derek Flack / January 16, 2013

Photo Toronto ContestAs the new year begins, we look back at the best photos from 2012 in our second edition of the photos of the year. Each of the photo of the week winners from 2012 will compete against each other for the grand prize. As is the case with our weekly contests, the photo of the year will be sponsored by Posterjack, and the winners will be decided by by our readers. The following prizes are up for grabs:

• 1st Place - 36x48 Metal Print ($400 value)
  • 2nd Place - 24x36 Acrylic Print ($200 value)
  • 3rd Place - 16x24 Canvas Print ($100 value)

The contest will take place over four rounds composed of 13 photos, one for each week of the year. The three photos with the most votes from each round will move on to the final round, which will feature 12 photos and ultimately decide the top three photos of the year. This poll will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on January 20th.

For those photographers whose images are featured below, please feel free to give us a little information about your shot — i.e. where and when it was taken — in the comments section. Who knows? Maybe your description will sway voters in your favour!

Lead photo by jonathan.mastrella.

TorontoPhoto by URBANE

Sunrise TorontoPhoto by DMVPhotography

13.
Raccoon TorontoPhoto by bukharov

click / January 16, 2013 at 09:34 am
Oh look - more Toronto skylines Zzzzzzzzzzzz
Michael Mitchener / January 16, 2013 at 09:42 am
Thanks for including my streetcar shot (#7) in this great collection of images. I took this photo on a rainy morning commute as the 501 streetcar struggled to cross Leslie Street at Queen. It was having mechanical problems and ended up stalled in the middle of the intersection blocking my ability to make a left. I decided to take a couple of pictures while I waited, mentally wished the driver luck, and eventually passed the streetcar with a u-turn back to Leslie.
Ron Davis / January 16, 2013 at 09:50 am
These are all such great photos. What a wealth of photographic talent in our city. Congrats to all.
BlogTO Reader / January 16, 2013 at 10:39 am
Could we get links to the previous two rounds as well please?

Great photos all around.
Jen / January 16, 2013 at 12:59 pm
I take it the raccoon photo is the "Whatever" option.
Aband1d_Urbex / January 16, 2013 at 02:34 pm
Great selections all around...and PS: Bring on the Skylines!!!!
John Mastrella / January 16, 2013 at 04:07 pm
I am the top photo. I took this amazing shot during my day off of work. I embarked for 3 years to catch a lightning shot hitting the CN tower from humber bay park. I tracked the weather system for 6 houts before on the weather network APP on my iphone and found right as this shot was about to happen alot of lightning was being hit in the northern downtown core. I set my settings manually before the shot and just made sure my 8 fps were ready for the shot. I actually got 2 shots of the lightning and this one turned out the best.
Ron / January 16, 2013 at 06:55 pm
Wonder if the excellent streetcar photo will inspire Kelley Turgeon to cut and paste for the next Toronto Star photo contest?
GaterWunn / January 16, 2013 at 07:41 pm
#HBWeInDis
t replying to a comment from Michael Mitchener / January 16, 2013 at 10:42 pm
I absolutely LOVE this shot!

(streetcar #7)
Craig / January 16, 2013 at 10:48 pm
I believe photo 12 was taken years ago. The skyline is quite old. Does that count?
Vincent McMillen / January 17, 2013 at 10:45 am
My picture is #11.

I woke up a couple hours earlier than sunrise in the summer to take this shot. (Read: That's EARLY). After hitting snooze too many times, I knew I couldn't make it to my original destination and had to find a spot quickly as I saw the sun coming up. I was JUST south of the Princess Gates when I saw a parking lot jutting south into the lake. I hoped for the best and headed there as I started to see this sunrise open up. I almost dropped my camera into the lake after it bounced on some rocks as I set up hastily - my heart leapt but it survived to get this.

While it is "just another" Toronto skyline, I did want to provide a somewhat different view than we normally see from the islands or The Docks off Cherry St. Especially with the reflections off the water, I thought I had something going. I took a few self-portraits of the scene, on Instagram - sorry for the plug :-) and biked back to the Danforth to get my much needed sleep back...
Ryan Ford / January 17, 2013 at 06:04 pm
It appears that MrEllis is begging for votes on the website Hypebeast.com as seen here -- http://hypebeast.com/forums/off-topic/194253

I voted for #11. Without any disrespect to the other contestants, this photo looks genuine and stands out from all the rest in terms of captivity. Mr. McMillan really captured that spectacular view.
James Ellis / January 17, 2013 at 07:26 pm
I took picture number 9

Its one of the first pictures ive taken and probably the first photo of mine that people really liked.

I was at my friends apartment. I was supposed to be working on a project but instead I took advantage of the view to try a long exposure shot. The pic came out pretty good despite the protective mesh obstructing the view. I later applied the tilt shift effect.

By the way check out my street photography series

Ryan Ford / January 18, 2013 at 03:05 am
I'm sorry James, but it seems like a very generic photograph.
James Ellis / January 18, 2013 at 04:40 am
I accept your apology. You seem like a really cool guy
john m / January 18, 2013 at 02:34 pm
TO point out #9 was taken in 2010. Sorry but this photo should not be in the competition
Dave / January 19, 2013 at 09:37 am
I'm surprised #9 is in the lead...a boring composition in my opinion. Looks like a tilt-shift fail effect to me. The only photo worthy of winning in my opinion is #9 of the ttc bus. This is the only unique photo of the bunch...not another toronto skyline, raccoon, or bench picture. This is my take on the competition.
Shaun Ellis / January 19, 2013 at 04:02 pm
I'm sorry, but Mr. Ellis seems like a faggot and should stop begging for votes on a message board from strangers he does not even know. Especially when the photo he's asking to be voted for was taken in 2010 and looks like a generic piece of shit that I could make in Photoshop using my iPhone 3.
James Ellis / January 19, 2013 at 05:40 pm
Why you gotta be like that dad?
Sharon Mitchener / January 19, 2013 at 06:52 pm
Well done Mike!
Plz / January 20, 2013 at 01:21 am
Easy there, Mr. Ego. Amazing? No. Good timing? Yes.
Poo / January 20, 2013 at 01:27 am
#5 isn't even a TTC bus. FAIL.