Saturday, November 1, 2014Light Snow 2°C

Photos of the 2012 Santa Claus Parade

Posted by Alexandra Grigorescu / November 19, 2012

toronto santa claus paradeThere's nothing quite like seeing jolly ol' Saint Nick hit Toronto streets to remind you that Christmas is right around the corner (and incite mounting panic about the imminent gift-giving season). The 108th Santa Claus Parade took place yesterday afternoon, and in addition to the generously-girthed, white-bearded man himself, there were 28 floats, over 20 bands, and a huge crowd of patient fathers sporting excited toddlers on their shoulders. The floats included a celebration of the Grey Cup's 100th edition, clowns, Oreos, Little Red Riding Hood flanked by wolves, and Barbie. It was a colourful, boisterous instalment of the largest children's parade in North America--and now we can look forward to a month and a half of holiday music.

Here are photos of the over-the-top cheer.

Photos by Brian Morton

toronto santa claus paradetoronto santa claus parade 2012toronto 2012 santa claus paradetoronto santa claus parade2012 toronto santa claus paradetoronto santa claus paradetoronto santa claus paradetoronto santa claus paradetoronto santa claus paradetoronto santa claus paradetoronto santa claus parade 2012toronto santa claus parade 20122012 toronto santa claus parade

Photos from the blogTO Flickr pool

toronto santa claus paradePhoto by owen_yeo

2012 santa claus paradePhoto by JY:) / J. Yeaman

toronto 2012 santa claus paradePhoto by JY:) / J. Yeaman

Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 10:18 am
I don't get why this parade is so popular. Don't ppl have better things to do with their time?!

Also, thanks for snarling up traffic. Way to go!
Childhood, lost replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 10:21 am
Have you seriously forgotten what its like to be a kid?
Skye / November 19, 2012 at 10:23 am
I didn't know Scrooge changed his name to Moneesha.
Rick replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 10:36 am
Sunday afternoon traffic on one day of the year downtown? Oh yeah, that's a huge problem that should trump families enjoying the parade.
Thanks for bringing this to the world's attention, Troll.
boystown / November 19, 2012 at 10:40 am
I didn't know you could have a parade where everyone kept their clothes on. Odd.
Guest / November 19, 2012 at 10:45 am
those are some sad looking clowns.
Nixon replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 11:06 am
Wow. Do you have a lot of cats?
Me replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 11:12 am
You'd probably be fine with it if it were the Queers though.
Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 11:16 am
For a city that prides itself on its diversity, I'm shocked by how intolerant ppl here are!

The Xmas parade is for Christians! Why should I be interested in Jesus' b-day when I don't even give a mouse's ass about him?!

And, for all you parents who bring their children to this event: shame on you! If you want to be brainwashed by all the corporate ads (via floats, sponsorships, etc), then you mine as well just sit them in front of the TV!
Sara replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 11:22 am
Thanks for the laughs this morning! I needed that.
raymes / November 19, 2012 at 11:24 am
These are great and thanks for doing it for me/us.
Skye / November 19, 2012 at 11:27 am

No one's making you join in, and you're free to sulk all you like about minor traffic problems on one Sunday afternoon of the year, but you've got no right to pull the intolerance card over it.
opensource1111 / November 19, 2012 at 11:34 am
I am always surprised about the traffic - the Santa Clause parade is not a well kept secret. Why do drivers bother to come anywhere near the route? If you need to cross town, go north to Davenport or above. Duh.
mada replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 11:37 am
YOU MY FRIEND....ARE AN IDIOT.
brian replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 11:46 am
im sure you were jumpin up at the most violent parade (caribana) MONESSHA haha what a retarded name
RCGUY / November 19, 2012 at 11:49 am
the parade was great! I took the kiddos down to christie to see the floats before they started up, got a picture with Santa. One annoying thing was that some photographers were really pushy about getting in for the "shot". these were not parents or other parade watchers, but working (I guess) people. Really kinda wierd.
the lemur replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 11:49 am
Santa Claus actually has little to do with either Christianity or Jesus, if you go back far enough. And yes, the parade is mostly about commerce.
the lemur replying to a comment from opensource1111 / November 19, 2012 at 11:50 am
I'm surprised (but not really) how many people continue to think year after year that driving to the parade and then trying to drive home is a good idea. Thanks for parking illegally all over my neighbourhood, halfwits!
Buca / November 19, 2012 at 11:51 am
Moneesha,....you miss the point about Christmas. Yes it is a Christian holiday but at its heart it is about kindness and family and getting together with your loved ones. It's about giving a little something to those who won't have a family to celebrate with. I have many friends of different faiths who still celebrate Christmas by have family over for a dinner. You don't need to believe in the religious part to enjoy what Christmas is all about. Heck I've been to friends houses to celebrate Eid or Diwali. I don't believe in their faiths but I see the bigger picture of what each major celebration is all about.
Moneesha replying to a comment from Skye / November 19, 2012 at 11:55 am
Skye / NOVEMBER 19, 2012 AT 11:27 AM
"Respect for diversity goes both ways. That means respect for a Canadian tradition: the Santa Claus parade. "

No, Skye. "Respect for diversity" doesn't go both ways. We shouldn't have to respect the Santa Claus parade community b/c they're intolerant.

If you want to bring in the "Canadian tradition" card, then let's consider these thoughts. It's a CND tradition to hall Aboriginals to residential schools. It's a CND tradition to strip Japanese-Canadians of their rights and put them in internment camps. It's a CND tradition of not allowing women's the right to vote. On and on... Shall we be respectful of these things?
Skye / November 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm
Um, you have your definition of "tradition" wrong.

Tradition implies that activity is still going on. Last I checked, those dark activities in Candian history are just that, HISTORY.

But this parade? Yes, it's a tradition. Yes, it's part of our culture. No, it is not "intolerant" just because you think people are wasting their time, and because it makes your travel plans inconvenient for one afternoon.
Skye / November 19, 2012 at 12:07 pm
**that should say "Canadian history". If anyone finds Canda on the map, let me know.**
Ford4ever / November 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm
Oh Moneesha. Can't the kids have a little fun?
Elf replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm
You can't be serious right? This is an act I'm sure. No one can be this negatively hyperbolic and nonsensical about a parade. It's a parade.
Cyril Sneer / November 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm
Ahahahahahaha Moneesha, you're a hoot.

That said, the parade did feel rather commercial this year, with several floats blasting out horrible pop music (yes I'm aware it started as an ad campaign for Eaton's).
PL replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Moneesha - "Canadian" is CA not CND
Alex / November 19, 2012 at 12:58 pm
Glad to see Christmas is about leaving your trash all over the streets after watching the parade. Walking west on Richmond yesterday seeing University Ave made me sick. Starbucks cups, Tim's cups, bags, fastfood wrappers/fry boxes, straws, candy wrappers, poop, cigarette boxes and an assortment of other waste.

I can't believe we call ourselves civil but behave like that. Apparently seeing Santa and all those sparkly floats causes amenesia that leads people to conveniently forget to put their garbage where it belongs. Merry Christmas, Earth; we love polluting you!
Douglas replying to a comment from Alex / November 19, 2012 at 01:13 pm
That is definitely an issue about the parade Alex, it is a bit to commercial and not enough focus on other positive traits, like environment, lifestyle, and etc. But I am pretty sure there is a cleaning crew that takes care of the mess during this week.
Todd / November 19, 2012 at 01:54 pm
I do like how it gets those wallets with pigtails from Mississauga out and about, spending their parents' money.

Would be nice if all those people flowing in from the burbs paid a road toll, though. Would help for clean up cost.
Jennifer replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 02:05 pm
Don't you just sound like the happiest person in the world.
Fed up / November 19, 2012 at 02:39 pm
Moneesha I whatever the hell that pathetic name is.... Just another example of a typical immigrant tryin to push their beliefs on us. No one wants you people here, don't you see that. You people have already started destroying Canada with your third world problems. Don't like Santa, move back to the sandy cat litter box you came from.
CaligulaJones replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 02:48 pm
"diversity". You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means...
A replying to a comment from Fed up / November 19, 2012 at 02:57 pm
One only resorts to childish name-calling when they are incapable of expressing an intelligent argument. The irony is that your comments are a perfect demonstration of the kind of intolerance Moneesha was referring to.

Moneesha +1
Fed Up 0
akswun / November 19, 2012 at 03:18 pm
Moneesha.... TROLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOLOLOLOLOOOLOLOOOOOOOLLLLLL

Sean replying to a comment from akswun / November 19, 2012 at 03:49 pm
The singer in the video passes away earlier this year in Russia. Catchy tune and a clear perspective of Moneesha.

How can Santa go all around the world in one night without going through customs?
Me replying to a comment from Sean / November 19, 2012 at 04:00 pm
He's a terrorist!!! EEK!!!! The poor paranoid pathetic Amerikans spend all their time shooting missiles at him but never hit him yet. Santa is the coolest!
Fed Up replying to a comment from A / November 19, 2012 at 04:02 pm
I should worry what people like moneesha may or may not find offensive? What about people who are 4th and 5th generation Canadians, who grew up with traditions that are being destroyed because of her type. We can't have Xmas trees in city hall because non Christians find it offensive. We can't say merry Christmas in retails stores any more because god forbid you might offend someone. Well what about us, what if your hijab offends me, what if protesting about your far off war during our remembers nice day ceremony offends me? If you come from some war torn hate filled country and have decided to make Canada your place to live. Respect the traditions, respect the people that came before you. Stop trying to make it like "back home". We don't want your back home problems.
Todd replying to a comment from Fed Up / November 19, 2012 at 04:06 pm
I agree with you. Many people secretly do too.
Me replying to a comment from Todd / November 19, 2012 at 04:11 pm
Good idea and the same should be so for the PRIDE crap that clogs our city every summer. hell, while we're at it may as well toll road the Jazzfest and Taste of Danforth too.
Fed Up replying to a comment from Todd / November 19, 2012 at 04:18 pm
Thanks, I really don't want to come across as hateful. I have friends of all backgrounds. Everyone of who are extremely glad to be here. They all respect Canada and realize how much better it is here. It's just we seen to be so concerned about upsetting everyone else, we sometimes forget what we have already sacrificed in terms of culture and tradition.
mark / November 19, 2012 at 04:23 pm
Any business that won't say Merry Christmas at Christmas time isn't worth supporting. Many have seen the light and have reverted away from the generic 'happy holidays' and have brought back the words Merry Christmas.
A replying to a comment from Fed Up / November 19, 2012 at 04:40 pm
I was born in Canada and have lived here all my life. And I'm not Muslim or a woman, as your comment implies. You don't know anything about my background (or Moneesha's, for that matter), so please don't make assumptions about people based on your own prejudices. It only makes you look uninformed and weakens whatever merit your point of view may have.
Fed Up / November 19, 2012 at 04:54 pm
I implied nothing. If you want to take what I said as being directed solely at you, thats your call. Moneesha said she is non christian. Now do you have anything intelligent to add or are you just going to try and put me down. Because in the end it only make you seem uneducated and weak.
My 2 Cents replying to a comment from A / November 19, 2012 at 05:06 pm
LoL I think you just got told.

Fed Up is not wrong. Add something usefull or get away from the keyboard
Dave replying to a comment from Fed Up / November 19, 2012 at 06:01 pm
Um, I think you should re-read your rants above. You made all sorts of baseless accusations against others, literally telling people to go back where they came from, and now you're concerned about "intelligent" debate? Nice try.
ClownVolunteer / November 19, 2012 at 06:32 pm
This parade wouldn't be possible without corporate sponsorship and volunteers. It takes a lot of money and a lot of volunteers to pull off an event of this size. No one gets paid for their time. We do it for the pleasure of watching children's faces light up. Children don't see corporate signage...they see only pretty floats, hear happy music and enjoy a day outside with their families. Lighten up people.
Fed Up / November 19, 2012 at 06:50 pm
Baseless accusations? Coming here and telling me my beliefs and traditions are offensive or not worthy of public display is wrong .
You hit the nail on the head. If you don't like it here go back to where you came from. Nothing unintelligent about that. Unless you are learning so far to the left your head is stuck in the dirt, it's not a hard concept to get.
My 3 Cents replying to a comment from Dave / November 19, 2012 at 07:47 pm
I find it funny how when one person voices an opinion that goes against what people see as politically correct, people like you feel the need to take up the cause.

Fed Up just said what a lot of us are thinking.Just because an opinion goes against what you believe, does not make it untilligent.
loodle / November 19, 2012 at 07:55 pm
I'm just going to ignore all the griping about the parade and whether or not we should follow traditions or what not. The weather was nice for a parade although it was a bit breezy at times. Did other people find the fencing down the University Ave island south of Dundas kind of bothersome? Did this VIP section always exist? Did it need to extend for such a long distance? I thought it was pretty empty - could've let the kids stand a lil bit closer to the parade.
Me replying to a comment from Fed Up / November 19, 2012 at 08:39 pm
If you were queer, he'd be defending your opinion.
coco / November 19, 2012 at 08:41 pm
Moneesha, you are an idiot.
Fed up, you are also an idot.
Todd, My 2 cent, and My 3 cents, you have also joined their club. Please take your club and go away. Far away.
My 2 Cents replying to a comment from coco / November 19, 2012 at 08:47 pm
What a well thought out and intellectual comment.
Thanks for contriubuting something useful to the conversation
Glad someone said it replying to a comment from Fed Up / November 19, 2012 at 09:23 pm
AMEN.
stopitman replying to a comment from Moneesha / November 19, 2012 at 09:45 pm
@Moneesha - "for a city that prides itself on diversity" - so, if people can't have the Santa Claus Parade, will we cancel the Gay Pride, Caribana, the Sikh's Khalsa parade, and St. Patrick's day parades too? They're all too focused for a diverse city, so we should have one Everything Parade!!!

Someone's just bitter that she never got to go. :'(

Also, I live in the downtown core and I don't mind stuff like this. I rather enjoy seeing lots of people walking around enjoying themselves and the city, whether they're from TO or from outside of it. Living and going downtown I expect things like this, as does anyone with half a brain, before driving through the downtown core.
Steve replying to a comment from Alex / November 19, 2012 at 11:09 pm
Civil? You live in the biggest city in Canada and get upset when a few wrappers are left around? Move to the country or STFU, cities are just giant dumping grounds
Josh / November 19, 2012 at 11:59 pm
This comment thread makes me want to quit the internet.
Johnny Canuck / November 20, 2012 at 01:14 am
What's with all the hate? This is supposed to be a fun and wonderful event. You know, family stuff. Yes, its been commercialized. Sad, but what hasn't. Since Eaton's pulled out of it, how else could it be paid for? And why are we talking about gay or Carabana parades? Who cares. Lets all celebrate together our diversity together. Gay, Christian, Caribbean, ya know they can all be the same person right? Grow up, and learn to celebrate life. Each day is precious.
P.S. If you don't like grid lock, don't drive downtown, and start building more subways!
Johnny Canuck / November 20, 2012 at 01:17 am
And people, please respect other's opinions... no matter how dumb they are. Name calling, racism, prejudice, ignorance... it's all bullying, and speaks greatly of your character.
Johnny Canuck replying to a comment from ClownVolunteer / November 20, 2012 at 01:21 am
@ clownvolunteer. Thanks for your contribution to a wonderful day! We should all volunteer at one time or another. It is what builds communities. Time is much greater a commodity that money/donations.
Johnny Canuck replying to a comment from Fed Up / November 20, 2012 at 01:25 am
@Mark, did your business say Happy Dewalli this past week? Will it say Happy Hanukka? Ignorance is bliss.
p.s. I'm Catholic.
Johnny Canuck replying to a comment from PL / November 20, 2012 at 01:37 am
CA is Canada; CND is Canadian. Idiot!
Fed Up replying to a comment from Johnny Canuck / November 20, 2012 at 07:05 am
Did you really just spout off about name calling and bullying then follow it up by immediately calling someone an idiot???
Stop with the a self richeous bravado
Meep replying to a comment from loodle / November 20, 2012 at 10:48 am
YES! The fencing off was ridiculous! I felt so bad for all the kids stuck 6 meters away from the parade, separated by nearly empty barricades. No, these fences were not always there. We asked one of the security guards why they were there, he told us it's a new thing they're trying. It's reserved space for parade sponsors and their families. I wish they had planned it out better because the barricades went on forever, had space for tons of people, yet, each section had only 3-9 people in it.
Other than that, I thought the parade was fun!
Ford4ever / November 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm
Bicker, bicker, bicker.

Santy Claus is up at the North Pole reading this and striking a whole bunch of you off his list.

Childhood, lost / November 20, 2012 at 02:08 pm
At the end of the day, All religions, races, people in canada are happy they get Christmas Day off of work/school. Take it for what it is. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, whatever.
Steve replying to a comment from Steve / November 20, 2012 at 02:49 pm
I wouldn't call roughly 3kg of garbage per square metre a few wrappers.
Johnny Canuck replying to a comment from Fed Up / November 20, 2012 at 04:11 pm
@ Fed Up, I know, kicked myself after I hit "add". But when someone, PL, corrects someone else, "Moneesha - "Canadian" is CA not CND", and is totally wrong, it's a bit funny.
As for the "Stop with the self richeous bravado" I only thought to point out the hate being spread on this site. I'm not one who believes in being "politically correct". I just believe in my rights and freedoms, AND those of others. How many kids have to commit suicide before we decide to set a good example. Kids look up to us for guidance, and we act like jerks. No wonder they are so messed up.
Look, I'm not one who believes in being "politically correct". I just believe in my rights and freedoms, and those of others. Lets act like adults, so kids can know how to behave.
PL replying to a comment from Johnny Canuck / November 20, 2012 at 05:50 pm
My mistake - CA is Canada. But you're also wrong here: CDN is Canadian, not CND.
I'm not going to call you an idiot though - honest mistake :)
Fed Up replying to a comment from Johnny Canuck / November 20, 2012 at 07:26 pm
Gotcha, point taken. Much respect for coming on and clarifying / defending your point. My apologies for jumping all over your first post.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from My 3 Cents / November 22, 2012 at 03:15 am
Fed up only said/is saying what you and every other moron who watches Sun News Channel/Fox News loves to say about anybody with a different opinion than yours-the thing is, instead of giving an intelligent response (or at least not making the insult all of your response to her) you completely insult her by bringing up the time honored insult about getting out of Canada if she won't respect Canadian traditions, or calling her the other time-honored insult 'pinko/liberal/Commie/socialist/feminist' that you call when somebody puts forth a point of view that you can't wrap your head around. But, that's par for the course when people like you (obviously) read and watch outlets/papers like The Toronto Sun and Sun News Channel.
Chris / November 25, 2012 at 01:39 am
@ Moneesha....please excuse me for not reading the tirade of this entire thread....I am Canadian born, raised and fiercely proud of my country and her acceptance of immigrants from all countries around the world, who want a better life than what they left behind...not having read the entire thread, I don't know if you have mentioned whether you were born here ( in Canada, CA, CND or whatever ) or immigrated here...If you were born here and raised, surely you must know about and understand that there are certain traditions that existed before you did and that they will be followed, regardless of your clear contempt....If you immigrated to Canada and wish(ed) to become a Canadian citizen, well...there are certain traditions that are followed and will not be changed simply because you. do. not. approve....Don't like the parade ?....don't watch it.....Can't accept that it happens ? I would be pleased to provide transportation to Pearson Int'l Airport and contribute CDN$20 toward your one-way flight out of the country of my birth.....I suspect that there may be others willing to contribute towards your departure....Where else will you find a country as excellent as Canada ?
Chris / November 25, 2012 at 01:46 am
@ Simon.....regarding the "time honored insult about getting out of Canada if (person) won't respect Canadian traditions "....is there any question about it ? This is Canada....one of the best countries in the world to live in..." The True North, Strong and Free "....All are welcome...but respect the country of your hosting/salvation/future....or go back from whence you came....
My 3 Cents replying to a comment from Chris / November 25, 2012 at 09:58 am
Thank you for saving me the trouble of typing that.

I love these people who sit around like shut ins using tv to form their opinions. They assume its what the rest of the world does as well.

@SIMON TARSES Sorry man, no time for tv, I make my opinions based on my lifes experiences.

@SIMON TARSES Also, I never mentioned one of those names you listed. Get a life
lesp / November 25, 2012 at 10:38 am
Ok folks Santa is not a religious icon, therefore the santa parade has nothing to do with religion.

Epeh / December 13, 2012 at 11:22 am
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!! :-)

This blog needs some Christmas spirit!