Monday, May 25, 2015Light Rain 20°C

Taxi trade group goes on the offensive against Uber

Posted by Staff / September 19, 2012

Uber TorontoNew, tech-friendly services like Hailo and Uber are quickly taking over our taxi and limo going experience but that doesn't mean those interested in keeping things the status quo are going to sit idly by and watch the industry transform before their eyes. Case in point is the Taxicab, Limousine & Paratransit Association (TLPA - oddly based out of Rockville, Maryland) that's doing what it can to impress upon the public and government that these services aren't in the public's best interest.

Take a look at the embedded document below that TLPA is currently circulating to Toronto media.

What do you think? Does TLPA have a case? Should we be weary of these new services?

Mr. G / September 19, 2012 at 03:36 pm
Haters gonna hate..
Philamania / September 19, 2012 at 03:57 pm
With change comes resistance. Resistance is futile.
Steve / September 19, 2012 at 04:30 pm
Don't you get it ? They aren't buying equipment so it is the same cab. You pay twenty percent more .
Free market Pinko / September 19, 2012 at 04:35 pm
I haven't used this yet, but I'm definitely open to it. Especially since you still have to ask any cab you get into in Toronto whether you can pay by credit card, and in a lot of cases, you can't.
TOJACK / September 19, 2012 at 07:08 pm
There is so much BS in this stream of comments it makes me want to puke. Where is the integrity? You know who you are...or, do you?
TOJACK / September 19, 2012 at 07:48 pm
No, BS from everyone including you. Planted comments. Fake testimonials. All of it. Total BS.
TOJACK / September 19, 2012 at 09:22 pm
More BS.
grasshopper / September 20, 2012 at 02:15 am
I don't know if we should be weary (tired) of a new service. We might want to be wary (cautious) of a new service.
TOJack / September 20, 2012 at 07:57 am
@Jenn. Cool. Nice to see an honest statement. I totally get your genuine frustration with taxis in Toronto. My experience hasn't been amazing by any stretch - but not quite as bad as yours.
scottd / September 20, 2012 at 09:31 am
Our cabs are crappy compared to other cities. Innovation is coming and it is a good thing.
Alex / September 20, 2012 at 11:46 am
People are upset about not being able to pay by credit card in a cab? It's a CAB! What did you expect? It's bad enough people pay for pizza orders by credit card (that still astounds me when a takeout place asks if I'll be paying by cash or credit), but paying for a cab with one? The fees they have to pay for that will undoubtedly come out of their pocket, so you better give them a huge tip to cover it. Plus they would have to pull together enough money to buy a wireless credit card machine in the first place. Geez people, try having some personal responsibility and being prepared for stuff, instead of expecting the entire world to conform to you. If it's an emergency and you don't have any cash and you need a cab then I don't see what the big deal is with paying extra to get the cabbie to drop you off at an ATM along the way to get some cash.
Mikey / September 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm
LET'S BE REAL, I NEED THE EXEC SUMM!

It's hard enough to keep up with BlogTO (not to mention Toronto Life) through sneak peaks at tabs hidden inside folds of work-related tabs. Now I have to full-screen 3-page whitepapers from American lobby groups?! Do you know how many VPs, SVPs and EVPs walk behind my cubicle on their way to the kitchen?!

It's supposed to be light lunchtime reading!!
Alexandra replying to a comment from Alex / September 20, 2012 at 05:12 pm
The reason people use plastic is because it's convenient. You can earn points/rewards/cash back with no fee charged per transaction. Also, some people are on business and their company wants them to use their corporate plastic. I don't see the issue. My bank charges me $6.95/month for 10 transactions from my chequing account; this includes deposits. Outside of that, they're $1 each. Yes, my bank sucks. I need to pay bills, get cash out for tokens/coffee money. I don't always have cash on me in large denominations and a debit transaction will cost me $1. Merchants take credit because it means making money. Don't say you'll offer a service if you won't provide it. A 2-3% transaction fee is the cost of doing business.
ossylady / September 21, 2012 at 03:36 pm
if you have ever been outside the ACC after a big event and tried to get in a cab, you would know how greedy and despicable our taxi service is. imagine how tourists feel? fighting the crowd to get in a cab only to find out that if you're not going to milton they don't want you. oh and they intend to sit on bay street causing traffic chaos until a "worthy fare" comes their way. charging $4 just to sit it in those filthy sh!tcans, they should have seen this coming.
Jana / March 11, 2014 at 11:39 am
The presence of truly world class athletes such as
Tom Daley and the Brownlee brothers and triple-jump champion Phillips Idowu.
Smart playets focus on the present. Rovers,
heading to the way-back machine, wwe have new content.

And I think that's just probably going sport injury essays to exacerbate that.