Friday, April 18, 2014Mostly Cloudy 8°C

Cargo van rental in Toronto

Posted by Alexandra Grigorescu / May 2, 2012

Cargo Van Rental TorontoCargo van rental in Toronto has many uses, with moving-related activities being chief among them (perhaps you, too, have a disproportionately large collection of end-tables). It seems that more and more car rental companies are servicing this need by adding larger vans to their rental options. For the purposes of this post, we'll assume that a cargo van will be sufficient for transporting your worldly goods.

I recently had the (unparalleled) pleasure of moving, and opted for movers. Considering the sheer number of stairs involved, it was a wise choice, but the movers were somewhat free-and-easy with several prized antique pieces and the cost after 6 or 7 hours of work very nearly rivaled a month's rent. If you think you have the stamina to do it on your own, any of the below options are a far more economical option.

U-Haul
If you're looking to move, U-Haul should top your list of considerations. From their large variety of trucks--helpfully divided by recommended uses and utilizing gentle ride suspension which minimizes jostling--to their selection of dollies and moving supplies, U-Haul has made moving their business. A 14' truck, ideal for an apartment up to 2 bedrooms, has the jaw-droppingly low cost of $30, but there's an additional charge of $0.69/km plus the hidden fees of insurance. You can pick up your truck at various locations around Toronto, such as Dupont and Dufferin, 960 Bathurst Street, and Queen and Parliament.

Enterprise
Enterprise offers cargo vans such as GM Express for just over $100 (tax in) for a full 24 hours, and allows you to load them with unlimited kilometres (up to 4000 km) provided that you remain within the province. If you're headed out of province, you're permitted 200 km/day after which you're charged $0.20. As for pick-up locations, they recommend you call for availability within the city proper as vans gets booked quite rapidly at pick-up spots like Dovercourt Road, Strachan Ave, and Bay Street. They'll also give you a ride if you find yourself without a way to get to the van pick-up area.

Zoom
At Zoom car rentals, you'll find an extended GMC Savana cargo van. A no-frills package which excludes GPS and insurance will run you $238, after taxes. Their allowed mileage tops out at 3000 km within the province, and you'll need to pick it up from the airport. If you plan on taking it out of the province, it'll be an extra $15/day, and different per/km rates apply.

Budget
Budget offers moving van rentals with multiple pick-up locations within the downtown core such as College and Spadina and Front and Parliament. They have cargo vans available, but it's recommended that you contact them directly for a quote. Conversely, a 16 cube truck will cost you $138/day for a maximum of 4 days, and they have add-ons such as GPS, Roadside Safety Net, and a Fuel Service flat rate which spares you the hassle of having to re-fill what will no doubt be a gas-guzzling beast. You get 100 free kilometres, after which you're charged $0.16/km, free rides to your pick-up location, and they even offer one-way truck rental--ideal if you're moving out of the city.

AutoShare
AutoShare has recently added Chevy Express large cargo vans to their fleet, which can be picked up at four locations around the GTA: 271 Concord Ave, Queen East and Carlaw, 145 Strathmore, and 33 Holly Street. To join AutoShare, you apply and are billed $29, submit a one-time $100 membership fee, then wait for your package to arrive: after that, you're free to drive any of their cars. You can even test-drive (har har) their program by applying for a 30-day trial, which will refund your membership fee if you quit within a month. Your $100 covers the "simple" monthly plan (1-2 trips/month), with the option to upgrade to a heftier plan, and while the price of gas is included, there's a "small surcharge" per km.

Discount Car and Truck Rentals
Discount offers cargo vans to be picked up at various locations across the GTA, such as Jarvis and Queen, Cherry St. and Dundas and Bloor. The price is reasonable, coming in at $110 after taxes, which includes 200 free km. Afterwards, you're charged $0.22/km. You might be tempted by the offer of an upgrade to a 16ft cube truck for just an additional $30/day. They can also arrange for a free ride to and from your chosen pick-up location.

NC / May 2, 2012 at 09:08 am
Great idea for an article!
Eric / May 2, 2012 at 09:32 am
I suggest booking in advance with as much notice as possible. My last move I booked a cube truck from Budget. I had it from 9-4 and it cost me less than $75, tax in.
John / May 2, 2012 at 09:32 am
Please... just Google U-Haul safety. Don't recommend those death traps to people. First and last time I used them the brakes decided to fail on the highway. They charge so low because they always keep the fleet on the road when they should be getting preventative maintenance, they will ALWAYS pull a truck from maintenance in order to allow you to rent it. Many a story from local and national / international news organizations have been run on this.
llemondifficulg / May 2, 2012 at 09:33 am
Uhaul is terrible. They consider a reservation to mean that there will be a vehicle within 25 km of the location you request. Never trust them.
Charlie Bravo / May 2, 2012 at 09:39 am
U-Haul is cheap but avoid them at all costs!!!

A friend of mine was a location manager and had no problem admitting over a couple pints they nickel and dimed people whenever they could, be it not the right position of the gas gauge or "damage" that on the vehicle that wasn't there when it left the lot.

Also with what John mentioned about safety, ALL of U-Hauls vehicles are licensed out of Arizona. Arizona happens to be a state that does NOT require vehicle safety inspections to be licensed. Because these vehicles are considered temporary in Canada they are NOT required by the Provincial or Federal government to meet any safety standards to be used.

The exception here, of course, is when the Ministry of Transport if conducting roadside safety checks... You WILL be pulled off the road if the vehicle is unsafe (and then probably get hit with U-Haul late fees).
K-Borg / May 2, 2012 at 09:39 am
What about local "no name" rental companies? Any idiot can find a rental from U-Haul/Budget/Enterprise by doing a simple Google search. Local places are often less expensive than the big guys. I recently rented a brand new van from Delta Rent-a-Car at Victoria Park/Danforth and it was very reasonable.

Weak research.
For shame replying to a comment from K-Borg / May 2, 2012 at 10:44 am
I know, shame on BlogTO for not covering EVERY single rental company in the GTA.
Steph / May 2, 2012 at 01:08 pm
It's a bit of a hike to get to any of their locations, but penske is the best cargo van rental- best price, guaranteed availability, great customer service. I've mved a lot and have had nothing but positive experiences with them.
Peter / May 2, 2012 at 01:54 pm
U-Haul's poor safety record is just their trucks, their vans are all on one-year leases and usually very safe. There is a tremendous variation in pricing based on time of month and location. Having worked in this industry, your best bet is to try far out of the city as you can, and also sweet talk them into giving you more free kms etc.
KM / May 2, 2012 at 05:09 pm
U-Haul (AKA U-Hell) is to be avoided at all costs. Putting safety considerations aside (never thought I'd say that...), all people considering U-Haul should know the following:

1) They will find so many new and creative ways to screw up your booking. Be prepared to spend hours on the phone trying to fix it.

2) Even if they get your booking right, don't be under any sort of impression that it guarantees you a vehicle. It works essentially like this:

3) Even if they get your booking right, and even if they have a vehicle for you, if it's a busy moving day, be prepared to spend HOURS in line because their centralized computer system is so slow that it takes 20 minutes or more to process a single customer. Last time I used U-Haul (really, it will be the last time), I waited in line 3-4 hours, while my elevator booking for the building I was moving into came and went.

Bottom line is they really don't care about customer service. Their service can be likened to extortion because they know that at the last minute, after they've screwed everything up, you won't be able to book anywhere else.
Justin / May 2, 2012 at 08:48 pm
Or you could go to Home Depot and rent their vans for $20 for the first 90 mins and $38/hr after that if it is a short move. In general if you purchase something that requires the van they'll only charge you for 90 mins. We were moving and bought a BBQ and had a van for about 4 hrs and they charged us $20 total...depends on who you get and how busy it is. Other downside is that you can't reserve the van so go early if its on a weekend.
Andrea / May 2, 2012 at 11:40 pm
Moved April 30, rented a cargo van with Enterprise. It ran us $130 at the end of the day, maybe not the Cheapest of the bunch, but the service was so good that I would rent with them again in a second. The van was in great condition and getting picked up (and dropped off at home after returning the vehicle) made it one less thing to get stressed about on moving day.
Marcelo / May 3, 2012 at 11:38 am
Hello.
I found that if you don't use autoshare very often, after all the fees, it can get a bit expensive.
Ryder car and truck rental has the best rate, depending on the vehicle you use, but the charge per KM is $0.10 for a cargo van i think is a good deal.
Hope this helps!
Ia / May 3, 2012 at 03:10 pm
Any suggestion for a one-way move from Ottawa to Toronto?

I have a reservation for a cargo van with Uhaul, but from previous experience, I'd really like to avoid them. Enterprise seemed like my best option from above. However, when I called to check their rates, I got a quote for almost $500 (about $95, tax included for the cargo van and 200 km, and $1.25 per km after the 200 km).

Anyone has experience with a one-way move? I'd appreciate any suggestion. thanks.
Lou / May 3, 2012 at 03:31 pm
For a one-way move, it often works out cheaper if you can manage to take the truck back afterwards. If you can find a second driver willing to return the truck to Ottawa, it might work out cheaper.

I've always had good dealings with Budget for vans and trucks, even on Montreal Moving Day.
Adam / September 5, 2012 at 02:19 am
This is awesome reading material! It’s packed with useful info that anyone can read and understand.
martial arts supply
Arwen Holz / October 17, 2012 at 10:04 pm
While surfing the net there are so many company offering cargo van rental but the first thing that I consider is the quality of their vehicle not just the cost of it.

imarwenholz
parmin / October 31, 2012 at 10:43 pm
does any one had idea how much they charge for just moving a sofa in 6 KM? In Richmond Hill, ON?
Lefty / December 1, 2012 at 01:10 am
I agree with what people say about uhaul- stay very far away from them! They will screw up your moving date and nobody from their company will help you out or even apologize for the inconvenience they've caused you!

I'm moving tomorrow and have reserved a truck for 9am. I got a call at 6pm today, a friday, letting me know that the truck I reserved won't be available until 2pm. The elevator where I'm moving to was reserved for me at 3pm. I was going to settle with the crap they are giving me so I called their location at 5 Defries St Toronto to confirm. To my misfortune I talked to Sara, and let me tell you, I have never been treated so badly as a customer. She was so rude and arrogant claiming that it wasn't her fault that the time was rescheduled. I wasn't blaming her in the first place, I just wanted to know if my reservation was confirmed! Mind you, I have been in the customer service field for more than 10 years so I know how it feels to handle irate customers and in situations where I am not satisfied with any service I am careful with complaining because I know how it feels to be the receiving end of complains. She even had the nerve to tell me not to be "cross" with her. I wasn't even done talking when she cut me off saying that "moving can be stressful but you have a nice day moving!!!!" Then slamming the phone. I didn't get any help from their customer service hotline.

Frankly, I wonder how this company is still around. Probably with all the scams they do with non suspecting victims. Also, I wonder how this Sara girl is allowed to answer phone calls, let alone interact with customers.

I will never recommend UHAUL to anybody!!!! Even if their trucks are the last ones on earth!!!!
edward / May 10, 2013 at 04:14 pm
i provide cargo van and truck rentl for up to 8 hrs a day!
i also drive it for u! everything included! for the first 3 hrs
is 100$ vs my website at-http://www.cargovancubevanrentaltoronto.ca/
Mac Smith / June 16, 2013 at 09:53 pm
Thanks for having the time to post this van rental services. Now, people can have the idea on what service rental is appropriate for them. New vans are sometimes hefty but it depends on your talks with the company.
Mr Guy / June 28, 2013 at 06:24 pm
Just want to echo NEVER to use UHaul. I rented from them two years ago, the location south of queen out in the east side of Toronto. Filled the tank up but was still charged their fuel surcharge. Then run around, told to bring them fuel receipts from when I bought the gas and they would refund me. I was able to do this since I paid with debit, and when I brought them they just acted surprised and told me they would have to talk about it and get back to me. The next time I went to visit the guy working there was having a hard time concealing his laughter as he spoke with his boss on the phone about my situation. I left and filed a complaint with visa, who refunded me, but the entire experience was horrifying. AVOID AT ALL COSTS>
uavs / July 11, 2013 at 01:38 pm
But be careful because a sniper could pick you off
at anytime. Instantly the Life Guard opens the box of life saving tools; an array or arsenal of cool
gadgets, life jackets, floating stuff and body board.

Although it's pricey, is usually complicated and extremely technical, the outcome is usually a lot of entertaining
edward / August 20, 2013 at 09:33 pm
i provide cargo van and truck rentl for up to 8 hrs a day!
i also drive it for u! everything included! for the first 3 hrs
is 100$ vs my website at-http://www.cargovancubevanrentaltoronto.ca/
edward / August 20, 2013 at 09:39 pm

i provide cargo van and truck rentl for up to 8 hrs a day!
i also drive it for u! everything included! for the first 3 hrs
is 100$ vs my website at-http://www.cargovancubevanrentaltoronto.ca/
Aaron / August 27, 2013 at 08:48 pm
Be careful renting from Zoom at the airport - this article claims they offer unlimited kilometers on their cargo vans, but actually there is a 100km maximum plus $0.25/km afterwards.
Margret / September 26, 2013 at 02:58 pm
We needed a couch we bought on Kijiji picked up in a hurry. Naim cargo van service was so accommodating! He put in extra hours to make sure the job was done right way - just 1 business day after we contacted him. He took extra special care while moving the couch even though it was a small job. We have had bad luck with movers in the past, and it really a relief to find honest, efficient, and kind mover. We'll use him again in a heartbeat.His phone number is 416-876-9400 you can also e-mail him for a quick moving quote at easymoving@outlook.com
edward / October 19, 2013 at 08:52 pm
at www.cargovancubevanrentltoronto.ca
u can find afforadable truck and van rentl with free driver
416-305-00-52
George / November 7, 2013 at 11:49 am
OMG. .the cheapest& best place I rented from is Advantage on Queen & Parliament. Cargo van is only 19.99/day + km or $24.99 inc 50 km. A cube truck is $24.99 & sometimes on special for$ 19.99
edward / November 20, 2013 at 05:24 pm
at www.cargovancubevanrentltoronto.ca
u will find the best and cheapest deal for short term rentl(up to 5 hrs)no need to fill up gas,no need to pay for insurnce,and they supply the dollies and free drivers

416-305-00-52
Mark / December 30, 2013 at 06:34 am
If you are looking for options for one way rentals besides uhaul Budget and Penske are the most popular. Both of them offer different size vans and you can expect to pay at least $100 for half the day. You should also look at local rental places, that can make you special deals during slow times.

Brian Diener
Emily / January 10, 2014 at 03:38 am
I know this thread is old, but here is my take. I moved to Ottawa a couple years ago for work and I will soon be headed back to Toronto. I did my own research and looked at one way, mileage, etc and found the best deal to be through budget. I picked the van up on a Saturday just North of Toronto, and drove it to Ottawa that weekend. We returned it on Sunday night- the location we chose is attached to a hotel, so we left the keys with them. I think in total (INCLUDING GAS) it was around 600-700, which seems outrageous but actually not that bad. The van was a solid quality van and the people booking were generally good. My only qualm was with the after service- because we dropped the van off at the hotel, I had a hard time getting an actual receipt from them once they had my money (needed for tax purposes). Don't dare try calling them when they are about to close- which, on an average work day is around 5 or 6- they are very unhelpful and will cut you off if they need.
Emily / January 10, 2014 at 03:40 am
I should add- after looking at all of the options, the best deal was to go two way (so I actually paid for gas both ways!) I dont think that was clear from above.
Susan / January 17, 2014 at 08:21 pm
At www.cargovancubevanrentltoronto.ca
U will find cargo van and truck rentl with free driver
4163050052
My site / March 29, 2014 at 02:19 am
Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful &
it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help
others like you aided me.
EDWARD / April 2, 2014 at 12:08 pm
at our website- www.cargovancubevanrentltoronto.ca
we offer the perfact solution for local, and short moves
we our trcks and vans with free driver--416-305-00-52