Sunday, September 14, 2014Mostly Cloudy 14°C

Photos of the 2012 Toronto No Pants Subway Ride

Posted by Scott Snider / January 9, 2012

No Pants Subway TorontoThe 5th annual Toronto No Pants Subway Ride organized by Improv in Toronto took to the TTC rails yesterday, much to the chagrin of passengers going about their Sunday business. Starting at Museum Station, pant-less riders headed to Eglinton and back again on a mission to surprise unsuspecting commuters, and perhaps to remind everyone that Toronto can let loose once in a while.

Although there were nowhere near the 400+ people who indicated that they would attend on the Facebook event page, the number of participants did nevertheless fill a few trains, which was enough to make a few waves on a lazy weekend afternoon on the TTC. It doesn't seem particularly shocking after the fact, but for someone who's never heard of the event before, it must be, er, intriguing to see someone get up between stops and remove their pants out of the blue.

Here are some pictures of the pants-less hijinks that ensued.

No Pants Subway TorontoNo Pants Subway TorontoNo Pants Subway TorontoNo Pants Subway TorontoNo Pants Subway TorontoNo Pants Subway TorontoNo Pants Subway TorontoNo Pants Subway TorontoNo Pants Subway TorontoNo Pants Subway Toronto20120109-No-Pants-Subway-Ride-2012--4433-HQ.jpgNo Pants Subway TorontoNo Pants Subway Toronto20120109-No-Pants-Subway-Ride-2012--4486-HQ.jpgNo Pants Subway Toronto

downwithpants / January 9, 2012 at 10:17 am
down with pants!
s.heroi / January 9, 2012 at 10:17 am
My only comment: even without pants, UGG boots still look awful!
Ugh! / January 9, 2012 at 10:22 am
I find this disgusting!
anonome replying to a comment from Ugh! / January 9, 2012 at 10:26 am
Lighten Up, Ugh.
Kevin / January 9, 2012 at 10:26 am
^ Lighten up. ^
steve-o / January 9, 2012 at 10:28 am
ok, so when's the topless subway ride?
Brandon / January 9, 2012 at 10:29 am
Ewww, I would NOT want to sit on any TTC seat without pants... ever!
I showed up naked / January 9, 2012 at 10:30 am
I wonder how many of these people weren't actually participating in the event, and rather, just showed up with no pants in the first place. I've seen it before. Oh, and in the first picture the guy is totally staring at her crotch.
Poo Bags / January 9, 2012 at 10:41 am
#whitepeoplefun
#whyterroristshateus
Eric / January 9, 2012 at 11:07 am
Bored.

White.

Youth.
Alex / January 9, 2012 at 11:10 am
I saw a few people take their pants off on the subway yesterday. Took me a few minutes to remember the No Pants Subway ride, but it was still funny to see it randomly happen, and to watch people's reactions. Kudos to the brave souls who took their pants off on such a chilly day.
scottd / January 9, 2012 at 11:13 am
looks really staged instead of organic.
Homer Simpson / January 9, 2012 at 11:17 am
Don't you hate pants?
Brent / January 9, 2012 at 11:26 am
I see a few visible minorities in those pics. Way to generalize. White people don't have exclusivity on boredom or useless social media experiments.
Derek replying to a comment from Brent / January 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm
I considered removing this comment, but it probably makes sense to keep it up so others can also point out how misplaced it is. What you see is what you get. A fair criticism/point might have been that this was a mostly white affair, but it's not as if the photographers have made an effort to exclude anybody. You sound precisely like the type of angry, stay-at-home-type who could benefit from this exercise. There's always next year!
Ron / January 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm
I'm sure we're not supposed to 'see' this angle of the event, but my lord this city has some great looking women. It's so nice to see legs in the middle of January.
Mike replying to a comment from Derek / January 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm
Derek, I think you completely misunderstood Brent's comment. I think you owe him an apology, actually.
Steve / January 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm
When I looked a the photos my first reaction was 'do young girls not already dress like that' I have also seen guys in some of the strangest shorts. It is not shocking, it does not even get much of a reaction from me, rather boring really. Then that's my opinion.
Victor / January 9, 2012 at 12:51 pm
I take the TTC everyday and judging by these pictures, I did not notice anything too different than I normally see. You see some very bizarre things on the TTC and nothing surprises me these days. Maybe a "totally naked" day might raise some eyebrows but otherwise forget about it.
jj / January 9, 2012 at 01:02 pm
who doesn't want to ride the rocket :)
Private Pickles / January 9, 2012 at 01:12 pm
All I see is a bunch of fat,hairy creamy white theighs.

#summertimeisbetter
Gustav von Hohenzollern replying to a comment from Mike / January 9, 2012 at 01:17 pm
Derek, you clearly misread/misunderstood Brent's comment.
Query / January 9, 2012 at 01:19 pm
Are the new subway cars in service? I see one random shot that appears to be taken inside one of the new subway cars. All the other shots are from the Type 1.
Brent replying to a comment from Mike / January 9, 2012 at 01:33 pm
He clearly misread my comment but of course I won't be expecting an apology anytime soon. Derek,a remedial reading comprehension exercise may do you some good.
Derek replying to a comment from Mike / January 9, 2012 at 01:53 pm
Indeed. Apologies @Brent. I missed the "a" in your comment, and that it was a response to a former comment.
Rob replying to a comment from Brent / January 9, 2012 at 02:01 pm
Speaking of remedial reading, here's a tip. When you want to reply to someone's comment, use the arrow thing to the right. That way your insight won't be under appreciated because it lacks context.
Brent replying to a comment from Rob / January 9, 2012 at 02:16 pm
The context appears to have been gleaned by everyone but two.You can't respond to multiple posters here so a general comment was apt.

Tara replying to a comment from Brent / January 9, 2012 at 02:25 pm
Who cares that Brent's comment was misunderstood. I understood it fine, and I still think he comes off like a dick. What's the problem with people going out and doing something fun and a little creative? And I'd hardly call something that's been going on for five years a social media *experiment*.
Jamaal / January 9, 2012 at 02:37 pm
What a lame exercise by a few attention-seeking people.

As if the subway isn't unhygienic enough, now we have people parading around in their briefs.

I really don't see the appeal here. Singing, dancing.. There are far better ways to be creative without downright offending people.

Not every idea is good idea
Craig / January 9, 2012 at 02:38 pm
These people are about a decade too old to be doing this. It's embarrassing. Can anyone imagine their parents or grandparents taking part in this? People have no sense of self-worth. What do you expect from a culture where 40-year-olds skateboard around in sneakers?
Alex replying to a comment from Craig / January 9, 2012 at 02:54 pm
What else would they skateboard in? Sneakers are the safest shoe for that. Why should someone who grew up skateboarding and enjoying it suddenly stop because they got older? Considering how fat our society is any exercise is good, and skateboarding looks really fun.

Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the anger, bitterness, and racism of internet commenters, but I really feel sorry for all the people here that just come on to make fun of a bunch of people that came together to just do something weird/crazy/different.
Derek / January 9, 2012 at 02:56 pm
For all the naysayers, it might be interesting to note that our posts about this event are always extremely popular. That might have to do with the promise of a little skin, sure – but most people recognize these no pants subway rides for what they are: some harmless fun that serves as a reminder that we're not automatons. Are there more creative endeavours? Of course. But it's not a competition is it?
Mike / January 9, 2012 at 03:08 pm
Great article and great collection of photos Scott. Looks like a hoot and stuff like this makes a city, unique and interesting to live in. Keep up the great work.
Joe / January 9, 2012 at 03:31 pm
The blonde girl in photos 1 & 3 has nice legs.
grumps / January 9, 2012 at 03:34 pm
I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE HAVE FUN!!! ARRRRGH
jacq replying to a comment from Joe / January 9, 2012 at 03:51 pm
blondie is underage
jacq replying to a comment from Jamaal / January 9, 2012 at 03:57 pm
see 1 not everyone is offended, we mostly got laughs, 2 were not unhygenic, you may be, we however shower etc, 3 its fun, take your head out of your ass and leave us to our fun without your bull crap negativity, also ill add that this has been going on since 2002 all over the world
jacq replying to a comment from Jamaal / January 9, 2012 at 03:57 pm
above comment aimed at jamaal
Husky Britches / January 9, 2012 at 04:31 pm
How come no 450lb people were photographed? WAS IT BECAUSE OF FAT PHOBIA????????????
. / January 9, 2012 at 05:24 pm
Lulz at the lame toronto people trying desperately to copy new york...
Prateek replying to a comment from jacq / January 9, 2012 at 06:42 pm
I couldn't have said it better than you!
Prateek replying to a comment from . / January 9, 2012 at 06:44 pm
People do this all over the world.. So its not just New York that does it.. you should research more about this before you put your 2 cents in something.
James / January 9, 2012 at 09:32 pm
Here's a fantastic Ted video regarding this and other 'improv everywhere' type events. The talk was done by the original "mastermind" of the no pants subway ride.

wow / January 10, 2012 at 12:45 am
I think this disgusting!
Nanja / January 10, 2012 at 04:45 am
Wow, it is really great to see that people aren't afraid to dress like this in the subway!!! Here in the Netherlands I think we are to shy to do this! I can't imagine I would sit in the train/bus to my work in my underware!!!!
stopitman replying to a comment from Joe / January 10, 2012 at 10:59 am
The brunette in the second last pic is a megababe...
Ron replying to a comment from Joe / January 10, 2012 at 11:46 am
I keep coming back to look at the blonde in pix 1 and 3 also. She's just stunning and awesome legs.
J1 replying to a comment from downwithpants / January 10, 2012 at 03:40 pm
Hizzah!
. / January 10, 2012 at 04:49 pm
Loldumbattentionwhores
Gravy Train / January 10, 2012 at 09:55 pm
Don't go in underwear if you have cottage cheese!
Ricky / January 11, 2012 at 08:53 pm
Yep, brunette on the second last pic is a cutie and I love those tights on her!
forever young replying to a comment from Alex / January 11, 2012 at 09:12 pm
If I could skateboard I would but jealous non progressive oppressive party pooping jealsouse Toronto Canaidans are always making things dead and boring because demons like company. Alex you are so right!
forever young replying to a comment from Prateek / January 11, 2012 at 09:16 pm
Yea, New York started it!
forever young replying to a comment from . / January 11, 2012 at 09:21 pm
Copy picking Canadians as usual. Lead and don't follow all the time. Be origional and stop oppressing the origional cool, fun, gutsy Canadians leaders.
I will fight you replying to a comment from . / January 11, 2012 at 10:08 pm
Lulz at miserable wankers who get annoyed by people having a bit of fun. Down with pants posted a comment on this thread first. Stop trying desperately copy down with pants
Kelly / January 12, 2012 at 02:18 am
This is disgusting. Need to have some respect to others. Just because the States comes up with crazy ideas, doesn't mean we have to follow.
Who cares replying to a comment from Kelly / January 13, 2012 at 10:01 am
Some people take care to buy nice underwear. When else can they show it off to everyone?
Joe replying to a comment from Ron / January 13, 2012 at 10:37 am
Yeah, I'm a sucker for nice 'healthy' legs. I blame Robert Crumb.
Per / January 13, 2012 at 05:11 pm
Hi, i would like to ask if i can use some of your no pants subway pictures on my blog that is about subway life. Thanks so much in advance! /per
Gravy Train / January 13, 2012 at 06:19 pm
I hope they haven't forgotten the subway sex incident, might catch a STD.
Eckbart / February 7, 2012 at 02:21 pm
OMG HAHA the dude starring at the girl's crotch is my creepy ex-boyfriend! HAHA
Swithin Charottes-Burg replying to a comment from Craig / February 20, 2012 at 01:34 pm
Really, Craig? Too old? To answer your question, yes, I'd love to see my octogenarian parents take part in this! Interesting that commenters (usually) know better than to say people of a certain gender/colour/religion/orientation/etc. should not take part in these types of events, but age doesn't seem to make the cut. I've got news for you, Craig. You're gonna get old. Deal with it.
Jeff H / February 20, 2012 at 01:59 pm
i saw good on them. or good off of them... ?
Jeff H / February 20, 2012 at 02:00 pm
i say good on them. or good off of them... ?
I see under wears replying to a comment from Eckbart / July 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm
Creepy? People are OUTSTANDING on this day on this train. Thats what made the event exciting and people took notice because it's not every dayyou se underwear on the train you fool. HE IS NORMAL and you are Creepy?
Go find a dictionary and go find creepy on Homosexual parade if you have guts or the stomac. You are upside down and stop misusing the english language it's not cool to exagerate you drama queen. This aint muslim world we died for freedom you hipocrit poppy wearing hipocrit. You are mad because you're jealous he is not noticing youat alllllll? Now I se why! Quit misusung words.
I see under wears replying to a comment from Per / July 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm
whats your blog? I cant wait to see this one. This is FUN!
I see under wears replying to a comment from Eckbart / July 17, 2012 at 12:27 pm
If you are more comfy with your boyfriend looking at a guys crotch you need a brain check followed by a blood test then a baptism. He is looking in amazement because he can't believe his eyes. Whats wrong with that. You must be a dry boring dull Canadian who lies and exagerates all the time to get attention and feel important. You make me sick. Go wear a hibjib and stare at your antisocial waste of time twitter crack berry egnoring the world around you to be with your fake 9,468 fake friends like the stuck up non fun busy body Canadian you are. You sound worse than Canadian Idol. Move to Iraq or somewhere over there and hide under a hibjib in the bitter heat so no one sees you, you dry nut! I thank God for the day to have fun , interact and socialise. You are only young once.
Pure Fun replying to a comment from Eckbart / July 17, 2012 at 12:29 pm
Hey guys next year wear briefs not shorts. The girls did done it right!
sexynessss / October 26, 2012 at 12:32 am
fun and funny stuff. Next year more womens and more legs please. No shorts; but REAL funderwears.
sexynessss / October 26, 2012 at 12:59 am
I did not realize how sexy the gyals legs in the 2nd to last picture was until now! I needs to start working out from noew for the 4 month transformation. Hope I do mine in N.Y.City.
I love this fun stuff.
sexynessss replying to a comment from Per / October 26, 2012 at 01:02 am
where can I see your blog??? I wish I could see more of this Fun Nesssssssss
sexynessss replying to a comment from Jeff H / October 26, 2012 at 01:03 am
Very great on them. Life is short and I hate regretting not doing more before loosing out! Tomorrow is comfort to a fool.
jim and jessica / January 2, 2013 at 04:30 pm
Wear under-wears not basket ball shorts in 2013 it better fun and funnier.

2013 Do it right this year guys.

Thanks
sexy mon / January 10, 2014 at 04:26 pm
Downsview station for 2014 3 pm guys. AND remember to bring your under wears and not those horrid long pants down to the kneeeeeeeeezzz guys. Let the rump shakes begin

Fun times.