Sunday, November 23, 2014Light Rain Shower 6°C

The 2011 photos of the year: Round 3

Posted by Tom Ryaboi / December 30, 2011

subway at nightAs the year comes to a close, we look back at the best photos from 2011 in a new contest: the photos of the year. All of the photo of the week winners from 2011 will compete against each other for the grand prize. As is the case with our weekly contests, the photo of the year will be sponsored by Posterjack, and the winners will be decided by by our readers. The following prizes are up for grabs:

• 1st place will receive a voucher code for a 24"x36" Metal Print ($200 Value)
  • 2nd place will receive a voucher code for a 24"x36" Canvas Print ($150 Value)
  • 3rd plave will receive a voucher code for a 24"x36" Frameless Mount ($100 value)

Each of the photo of the week winners from 2011 will compete in a four-round contest, the individual entries of which will feature 13 photos, one for each week of the year. The three photos with the most votes from each round will move on to the final round., which will be composed of 12 photos and ultimately decide the top three photos of the year.

Following the publication of each post, voting will be open until 11:59 p.m. on Thursday of the following week.

For those photographers whose images are featured below, please feel free to give us a little information about your shot — i.e. where and when it was taken — in the comments section. Who knows? Maybe your description will sway voters in your favour! Lead photo by Chipichape

This is round three!

toronto, streak, nightHalf my Dad's age

matrix, reflection, abstractSchemering

toronto, sunset, viewsProletar1at

12.

under, bridge, islandLindsey McKague

13.

urban, views, condoRonnie.yip

jowe / December 30, 2011 at 11:04 am
Just me or.. these photos are so heavily enhanced.. its no longer a photo. Nothing is any good.. well, except the pigs.
Evan / December 30, 2011 at 11:12 am
10 struck me. Love the perspective and the fact that such a pretty figure was captured.
Jonathan / December 30, 2011 at 11:19 am
The piggy back picture is repulsive.
The Other Neil / December 30, 2011 at 11:35 am
I took the piggy back picture. I think it's great that people either love or hate...exactly what an image should provoke.

Anyway, I think it's remarkably interesting to be able to get scenes like this in Toronto. It easily could have been taken from Hong Kong or somewhere in SE Asia. Good luck to all...except Yip and Proletar1at, those guys suck.
David / December 30, 2011 at 11:43 am
jowe - it's just you. Long night exposures may look more enhanced because of the way the light is captured, but it looks like most of these photos haven't been enhanced any more than you would be able to perform in simple post-processing/dark-room style effects.
Oink Oink replying to a comment from Jonathan / December 30, 2011 at 12:09 pm
I like it. Soon, they will be tasty, tasty bacon.
SAMANTHA TAN / December 30, 2011 at 02:44 pm
Love love love the first one. Looks like something from an anime.
. / December 30, 2011 at 03:07 pm
Lol. What kind of a loser would take their girlfriend on the filthy subway? It's for poor people...
AJ replying to a comment from . / December 30, 2011 at 03:11 pm
What kind of loser hides behind a "." for a name. A troll, that's who.
Kevin Morris / December 30, 2011 at 07:46 pm
Hi all. Kevin here - I shot #10.

Interestingly enough, I actually meant to focus on the girl walking by. I was inside the Drake General Store on a rainy day and saw her walk by. I missed the focus on my manual lens, and when I got the shot developed, it turns out I nailed the focus on the glass. I liked that I could still make out the girl and the bike on the sidewalk.

The shot I took right after this one, of the next pedestrian (a nun with an umbrella!), was better focused, but not as interesting a photo:

As for the comment above re: editing - there is zero I did to the picture. It is straight from a 35mm roll of film shot on a 1980's Minolta SRT102.

Thanks for including me - they are all great shots!

Kevin
belvedere replying to a comment from Kevin Morris / December 30, 2011 at 08:10 pm
now that is v v v cool. i still haven't voted for this #3 chunk, but ur input has certainly swayed me!
proletar1at / December 30, 2011 at 09:24 pm
silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.
Lindsey McKague replying to a comment from jowe / December 31, 2011 at 11:38 am
Sorry mine isn't heavily photoshopped at all other then the usual minor tweaks in developing a raw image. I achieved this image but using a long exposure in the daytime with a neutral density filter.
Jen / December 31, 2011 at 02:35 pm
Honestly it's really hard to choose... there are so many fabulous photographs.