Monday, October 20, 2014Mostly Cloudy 6°C

A new etiquette guide for Toronto

Posted by Derek Flack / December 1, 2011

Etiquette Project TorontoThe Toronto Etiquette Project wants to make the city a politer place — and allow us to retain our trademark Canadian non-confrontational disposition. So how do we police the offenders without being overly brash? Why etiquette cards, of course. The work of Christopher Rouleau — the local designer behind the "Official Gay Card" — the Etiquette Project is composed of a series of cards that target various violations of common courtesy, public health, and basic respect for one's fellow human beings.

Inspired by other etiquette guides, Rouleau's cards might ultimately prove a success because they're so easy to print out and distribute. "I wanted to create a mini-campaign of my own, amalgamating the best parts of [past] endeavours, improving upon their shortcomings, and incorporating my own creative sensibilities," he explains in a blog post about the project. "I also wanted to pay tribute to one of Toronto's iconic landmarks and, one of absolute favourite things about Toronto, the TTC subway stations." If the font on the cards looked familiar, now you know why.

Toronto Etiquette ProjectThe idea is, of course, that should you spot one of these infractions, you can "discreetly" hand out one of the cards to the perpetrator. I put that word in scare quotes because I suspect it won't take the recipient too long to figure out that they've been served with a citation for bad manners. Should you not want to have a discussion about the matter, it'd be best to be on your way rather quickly.

Still, the point for Rouleau is that the cards will be fun more than anything else. He holds that his project is "smart but not smart-ass; polite, but not preachy." And as far as what he hopes it might accomplish goes, he has two goals. "The objective is to make the people of Toronto more aware of their behaviour, and hopefully to put a smile on people's faces."

Will you consider handing out any etiquette cards in the coming days? Who knows, maybe you'll receive one!

More screenshots of the cards:

2011121-yellow.jpg2011121-green.jpg2011121-brown.jpg2011121-blue.jpg

org / December 1, 2011 at 12:54 pm
Biggest jerks in the city = smokers who flick their cigarettes on the ground, in other words, 99% of smokers. Every year I take part in 20 minute cleanup in the city and the most common litter I find is cigarette butts, cigarette packs, and tim hortons cups. Any connection?

This is a good campaign, its surprising we have to tell people this, but lets be honest, a lot of people have shitty parents who didn't teach them lots of this when they were young.
Wam! Pow! Bam! / December 1, 2011 at 12:57 pm
I look forward to punching in the face the first person that hands me one of these. How's that for etiquette?
zxc / December 1, 2011 at 01:09 pm
Don't fucking smoke near a fucking bus shelter you stupid fuck.
POW / December 1, 2011 at 01:16 pm
@Wam!Pow!Bam! This is Toronto, people are rich. Do it and get sued. Really, it's people like you that these cards are designed for.
Internet Tough Guy / December 1, 2011 at 01:19 pm
i sware i will distroy anybody who trys to give me this card !!!!!!
Wam! Bam! Pow! replying to a comment from POW / December 1, 2011 at 01:20 pm
I'm one of them. This entitles me to excellent legal counsel which, in all likelihood, will be better than the art school drop out that hands me one of these cards. Getting a free pass in life is awesome.
Molly Manners / December 1, 2011 at 01:22 pm
WOW.... people are AANNGGRRYY!!!
AV replying to a comment from Wam! Bam! Pow! / December 1, 2011 at 01:23 pm
Please... you'll get knocked out and robbed blind before you can type 911 into your precious crackberry smartass.
gr1 / December 1, 2011 at 01:26 pm
I WILL FIGHT YOU ALL.
Active Aggressive / December 1, 2011 at 01:27 pm
WOW! This is so typically Torontonian! Passive agressive bullshit disguised as self-righteous indignant humour.

If you really feel like that, SAY SOMETHING. Go up to that person and tell them to their face. Oh, you're much too polite to do that?

Dick.

P.s. Remember to apologize before handing this card over.
Troll Johnson / December 1, 2011 at 01:28 pm
My "excellent legal counsel" told me that only lame losers post comments on blogs.
James replying to a comment from Wam! Bam! Pow! / December 1, 2011 at 01:28 pm
To Wham! Bam! I seriously doubt you are rich. I do know, however that you are a coward. So tell you what, prove me wrong on both counts and post your real name and occupation. I'll save you the trouble of coming up with same lame excuse why you won't and call you a liar right now.
Wam! Bam! Pow! replying to a comment from AV / December 1, 2011 at 01:30 pm
Peter Politeness / December 1, 2011 at 01:30 pm
You forgot the etiquette guide for CYCLISTS! Instructing them to obey traffic laws like blasting red lights and riding on sidewalks etc.
Wam! Bam! Pow! / December 1, 2011 at 01:31 pm
My real name is Smedley Dorkenfrapper and my occupation is talking tough on the internet where no one can wedgie me. My mom only needs our computer for Bejeweled when she's home from work.
The Real Wam Bam Pow replying to a comment from James / December 1, 2011 at 01:33 pm
No more cowardly than someone running up and slipping a note into someones hand to tell them they're being rude, then slinking off into the crowd :)
Peter Politeness / December 1, 2011 at 01:35 pm
OH! They also forgot internet comment forum flame war etiquette guides. The only one who looks bad is the loser spitting game he doesn't have. gr1, Wam! Bam! Pow!, I am speaking directly about the both of you.
EC / December 1, 2011 at 01:35 pm
Way to take the TTC font and make it look like a douche.
Andry replying to a comment from gr1 / December 1, 2011 at 01:35 pm
+1!!!
Wam! Bam! Pow! / December 1, 2011 at 01:36 pm
Seriously though. I'm just as likely to punch a stranger who just handed me a little card as I am to actually be a rich person who posts anonymous blog comments about being tough and rich.
Wam! Bam! Pow! / December 1, 2011 at 01:37 pm
The only 'game' I have is World Of Warcraft.
Posting under others names is rude replying to a comment from Wam! Bam! Pow! / December 1, 2011 at 01:38 pm
You get a Gay card, fake Wam! Bam! Pow!
SFM replying to a comment from Active Aggressive / December 1, 2011 at 01:40 pm
My thoughts exactly. These cards are so unbelievably rude!
K-Borg / December 1, 2011 at 01:41 pm
These are patronizing as fuck, but the designer gets bonus points for using the TTC font.
Chris / December 1, 2011 at 01:45 pm
Woah woah.....of all the TTC offences....where's the one about people gabbing loudly on their phone all the way from Neville Park to the Humber Loop?? Cell phones on streetcars are the worrrsssttt........(far worse than "hogging seats/poles!")

PS - lolz at "probably shouldn't preach"
Wam! Fizzle.....fail. / December 1, 2011 at 01:46 pm
Here's a suggestion:

Dear Fellow TORONTONIAN:
Yes, talking to strangers is intimidating, especially if you're confronting them about behaviour you consider anti-social. But please don't:
[] hand out passive-agressive cards
...and then run away.
THANKS! From your friends at the Toronto Grow Balls Project.
The Real Peter Politeness / December 1, 2011 at 01:47 pm
OMG GR1 and Wam! Bam! Pow!, I am so much smarter and cooler than you on the internet. How dare you both. I am insulted by such trivial matters. For shame.
gr1 replying to a comment from James / December 1, 2011 at 01:50 pm
Wham! Bam! Pow! is the richest man on the Internet. His name is Zombie Ted Rogers and he is the CEO of the undead, brah.
smash / December 1, 2011 at 01:55 pm
The biggest problem I've had on the TTC is having people fall asleep on me. People need to be at least semi-aware of where they place their heads/arms if they plan on napping on the subway.
sansie / December 1, 2011 at 02:15 pm
can someone do one up for cyclists too.
Heather replying to a comment from Peter Politeness / December 1, 2011 at 02:21 pm
'You forgot the etiquette guide for CYCLISTS!'

This. So much this.
colea replying to a comment from org / December 1, 2011 at 02:22 pm
@org Agree with you, but on the other hand where are the trash bins? Sometimes you have to go a long way until you find one.
Anti-hobo replying to a comment from colea / December 1, 2011 at 02:24 pm
I usually just flick mine at the homeless. Not only does this get rid me of the butt, but they're likely to pick it up so they can smoke the last two puffs off of it. Win-win.
Horatio / December 1, 2011 at 02:31 pm
People who; flick cigarettes, inconsiderate TTC patrons, jerky cyclists are people they grow up outside of Toronto and bring they're wackness into the city. They're etiquette is they're ignorance.
905ers replying to a comment from Horatio / December 1, 2011 at 02:40 pm
They're called 905ers.
emo q / December 1, 2011 at 02:44 pm
Where's the Passive Aggressive etiquette card?
Christian Bobak / December 1, 2011 at 03:04 pm
The three worst TTC offenders are self-centred people who stand in doorways for their entire trip, completely blocking the exit/entrance to those who wish to exit/enter, people who get on a crowded vehicle wearing a gigantic backpack, refusing to take it off, and people who stand on the left side of the escalator, completely blocking all traffic. In all cases, it involves selfishness and antipathy for others.

Then there are the cell phone chatterers who make life miserable for everyone else with their inane, one-sided conversations that no one else wants to hear ...
Richie replying to a comment from Christian Bobak / December 1, 2011 at 03:08 pm
Funny you say that.. I have a story to share. Riding west last week around 4pm there was a group of private school boys (14 - 16) blocking the doors on purpose, refusing to step off/on for people boarding, to just generally be assholes. They were asked multiple times to move by several "adults" standing near them (car was somewhat full), and they laughed at their suggestions and continued to block to doors. So when I got off I quickly said "excuse me", and then proceeded to plow through all 3 of them, knocking them to the ground and scaring the shit out of them in the process. Dazed and confused, I left them there to realize the error of their ways. As I was taught growing up; "Remember, there's always a bigger asshole than you out there". And that day, I was the bigger asshole.
lee / December 1, 2011 at 03:12 pm
I'm really grossed out by how frequently Torontonians spit on the sidewalks - mostly males, but I've seen young and old alike do this. It's so nasty and I've never been to any place where spitting on the sidewalk was such a frequent occurrence! Churns my stomach to see you do this, and it's so gross when I accidentally step in your freshly horked-up gob. STOP IT.
Thank you for being an ass replying to a comment from Richie / December 1, 2011 at 03:13 pm
Well put, and thank you. That's a lesson no "Gay card" can teach.
Richie replying to a comment from Thank you for being an ass / December 1, 2011 at 03:17 pm
Too many meek people in this city, ya kno?
bikeroo replying to a comment from Richie / December 1, 2011 at 03:17 pm
I'll be honest, I was one of those preppy private school boys.

Thanks for keeping the cycle going and teaching them a lesson, hopefully they will smarten up.
balls / December 1, 2011 at 03:17 pm
Talk to people - plain and simple. This is passive aggression, and I bet the majority of people would be less likely to change their behavior if given a card by a smiling uptown mom or queen west yuppie. We all have faults, but we all have voices too - let's use them and save some trees.
balls / December 1, 2011 at 03:26 pm
Or A tree. Or half a tree.
I doubt this will become a "thing".
ped / December 1, 2011 at 03:27 pm
you forgot one for MOTORISTS. bunch of impatient jerks!
Carson / December 1, 2011 at 03:29 pm
Absolutely love this idea. I started a tumblr blog a few weeks ago called 'Hey Society' (http://heysociety.com) that is along the same lines of thinking. Society has rules, and people seem oblivious to them.
BongoMongo replying to a comment from balls / December 1, 2011 at 03:35 pm
I agree, definitely passive aggressive.
org replying to a comment from colea / December 1, 2011 at 03:44 pm
"sometimes you have to go a long way to find a garbage" So I guess this is an excuse for people to litter???? Like if there isn't a toilet right in front of me I should just take a piss on the street. Well personally I hold onto my garbage until I find a receptacle. Its not that much to ask. When I buy something that I know is eventually going to become trash, I accept the responsibility of finding a place to put it. If I don't like it I shouldn't buy things that create trash. And for smokers they could buy a little thing called a POCKET ASHTRAY. Ask most smokers and they won't even know such a thing exists because they are too focused on themselves.
org replying to a comment from colea / December 1, 2011 at 03:44 pm
POCKET ASHTRAY SMOKERS
simba390 / December 1, 2011 at 03:45 pm
This is a great project - short-term nonetheless. It's a shame that it will soon have its satirized counterparts.

That said, why isn't there one for drivers, racists, homophobes, 905ers, 416ers, etc.

#justsaying
Torontonian / December 1, 2011 at 03:47 pm
Please people, don't associate this with Toronto- these were made by some guy from out west who only moved here two years ago and doesn't know better. Actual Torontonians know how badly these snarky newcomers reflect on our city. They think they are better than the people from their tiny town, but then feel the same about the big city. We hate their patronising whiney ways as much as everyone else. Actual Torontonians will SAY SOMETHING if bothered by anything- but chances are they won't because in a Toronto you have to learn to live with other people. That's what you do in a city, not hand out some patronising card which is only asking for a punch in the face.
org replying to a comment from Torontonian / December 1, 2011 at 03:54 pm
I am also from the west and can tell you first hand, people are just as rude and self entitled out there. There isn't something in the water here.
chris replying to a comment from org / December 1, 2011 at 04:02 pm
yeah i wish my parents taught me not to flick my cigarette butts on the street!
Face Punching for real Torontonians replying to a comment from Torontonian / December 1, 2011 at 04:02 pm
Agreed.
Trancefan replying to a comment from Wam! Bam! Pow! / December 1, 2011 at 04:36 pm
The only free pass your gonna get is from females that don't want to pro-create with a piece of shit like you.
Devin / December 1, 2011 at 04:48 pm
I think this post is reaching out to the right people judging by the maturity level of a lot of these users posting. The truth hurts, if you have no respect for etiquette chances are you'll just make fun of it with destructive criticism.

We're all know-it-all's but the hardest thing to do is act on what you think is the right thing to do. This person is being proactive and trying to spread a positive message about respect.

I'll take a wild guess and say that the ones who are offended by this post are the one's who don't say thank you and give eye contact or smile while interacting with others.

An act of gratitude can significantly change someone's day.

Just once try not being a jerk and saying something nice about someone you interact with. Positivity leads to confidence which leads to success.
Stinky Cheese Man / December 1, 2011 at 04:51 pm
Personally I think our trademark Canadian non-confrontational disposition IS the problem. Having spent the first 30 years of my life in Montreal I have this to say. If someone is being an A-hole call him or her on it. Most people are TOO polite. Plough though the kids blocking the door! Take the cell phone away from the loud talker and hang it up!
and if your car needs some body work brake really hard in front of a guy on his cell phone. Free paint job!!!
Wowwww / December 1, 2011 at 04:55 pm
These cards will never make it to the street because the yuppies/hipsters who would hand these out will be too busy fapping all over then to the thought of their own self righteousness.
Artsworker / December 1, 2011 at 05:01 pm
Condescend much? Perhaps he could dress as a pilgrim or a knight when handing his little cards out.

Actually, is this for real or is it an announcement to get a reaction from people for his art project?
Adam replying to a comment from Torontonian / December 1, 2011 at 05:07 pm
"Actual Torontonians will SAY SOMETHING if bothered by anything."

AGREED. As we were brought up to do.

As a born-and-raised resident myself, it annoys me when people from elsewhere won't speak up for themselves and common decency in public, and then gather in bars and kvetch about Torontonians being rude. News for you: there are rude people everywhere. Vocal shaming is how we deal with them here.

P.S. If you stop as soon as you reach the bottom of an escalator, you deserve a passive-agressive card, vocal shaming *and* a wee corrective punch.
PermaRaged Torontonian / December 1, 2011 at 05:40 pm
Honestly, the Transit User one is spot on. If I see one more f*cking person pick their teeth, clip their nails, hork or MASTURBATE on the subway I'm going to snap. Not to mention when it's rush hour and the subway is packed tighter than a sardine can and as the doors are closing some sh*t dick crams themselves inside as if waiting one more minute is inconceivable.
Shawn replying to a comment from Peter Politeness / December 1, 2011 at 06:05 pm
Seriously....cyclists need an etiquette guide WAY more than pedestrians do.
org replying to a comment from chris / December 1, 2011 at 06:06 pm
"yeah i wish my parents taught me not to flick my cigarette butts on the street!"

That would be covered in not littering and respect for public property. Smart ass:)
These Cards Suck / December 1, 2011 at 06:22 pm
These cards are so stupid. If someone gave one to me I would tell them what a loser they are for printing these out/ buying them or whatever the hell you do. Just tell someone if something is bothering you. What a shitty project. Whoever made these should get a real job.
BullsEye / December 1, 2011 at 08:27 pm
Hey all you Punchy McPunchersons' - how about instead of planning your overtly violent reactions, instead try focusing on the point at hand. Don't partake in said list of discourteous behaviours and you won't have to worry about being the recipient of one of these tactless cards. Crisis averted.
Rachel / December 1, 2011 at 09:39 pm
I can't wait to see the BlogTO comment section etiquette card!
Joan replying to a comment from Active Aggressive / December 1, 2011 at 09:48 pm
I like you.
moe / December 2, 2011 at 12:28 am
u need to relax, let's not waste paper on this smartass.
Wam! Bam! Pow! / December 2, 2011 at 12:47 am
OK so I am a coward are you happy? If you wanted me to admit it I have, but I am not going to post my real name. You win.
mike / December 2, 2011 at 12:56 am
how come cars can go on the road and pollute the air but i cant throw my butts on the street? i think its only fair. streets in europe are way cleaner, and noone would even think about dropping litter. but here, look at the street! its already a toxic mess, and i wont stop with the smokes until everyone else stops with the cars.
McRib / December 2, 2011 at 08:19 am
not one of you dickbags would punch anyone in the face.

gr1 replying to a comment from McRib / December 2, 2011 at 10:46 am
none of you facebags would punch anyone in the dick. FTFY
Real Wam! Bam! Pow! replying to a comment from Wam! Bam! Pow! / December 2, 2011 at 11:20 am
Another Gay card for posting under my name. Shame on you.
mike / December 2, 2011 at 11:29 am
i find that offensive
pooter / December 2, 2011 at 11:31 am
The guy who made this is such a loser and is just trying to get a real job in a design firm. I hope noone ever hires him so he can't pollute my eyes with more of this trash.
Steve replying to a comment from Real Wam! Bam! Pow! / December 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm
I didn't know rich people talk like 10 year old school children. What's with calling everyone gay? You come across as the most uneducated person in this thread. Do you often find that in a group of people, others think of you as the most boorish and ill-mannered?
Real Wam! Bam! Pow! replying to a comment from Real Wam! Bam! Pow! / December 2, 2011 at 12:21 pm
Whatever loser... that's how we talk at our Law Ferm. And we're all rich.
Alex / December 2, 2011 at 01:12 pm
Instead of handing out cards (which no-one is gonna do), why don't they just leave them around? What's a little more trash on the subway or wherever when it might show an obnoxious person we're sick of putting up with them?
annie / December 2, 2011 at 01:13 pm
So yes! I would like to lightbulb ones specifically for Subway riders that would be something like, please don't STAND RIGHT IN THE DOORWAY when the doors open and close on a full car. No matter how sideways or flat you try to be, you are taking up A TON OF ROOM. Please step out, you can get back in, we promise, no one will steal your precious doorway spot. And just an FYI, you are being iPhone photographed every damn time I see you pulling this shit. You are on record as being a selfish wank.
gr1 replying to a comment from annie / December 2, 2011 at 01:24 pm
you sound like a daft little princess getting riled up over ever triviality in the world. "I HAVE YOUR PICTURE NOW, HAHA!" - nice one, princess.
Alex replying to a comment from annie / December 2, 2011 at 01:37 pm
Just shove them really hard on the way out or on the subway, that's what I do. If you're standing in the doorway on a crowded or uncrowded car then you deserve a good shove.
Randy99 / December 2, 2011 at 01:42 pm
Where are you supposed to flick your cigarette buts? I thought street was polite, sidewalk not so much.
Sean replying to a comment from Troll Johnson / December 2, 2011 at 05:36 pm
you mean like you??
Also, they forgot the Driver card, especially for parked cars.
Henry / December 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm
Hi,
Kind of new comers as I am, I read all your cards content.
May be I need to sharpen the English,I found it difficult to understand several words.I just listed them below:

1) Hog seats/poles I checked dictionary,still not so sure its meaning

2) Barge/hold doors can you give an example?

3) Preach Sounds like something related with religion, right?

By the way, I think sometime in the rush hours, there are strollers on the bus, sometimes two, what a headache?

Thanks in advance for your kind explanation.

Annie replying to a comment from gr1 / December 3, 2011 at 01:15 pm
And you sound like an asshole. Cool!
bbb / December 3, 2011 at 09:07 pm
i bet wam bam didnt even go to law school " whatever loser". hahaha
hoop / December 4, 2011 at 09:49 am
I think everyone has missed the point. The problem is that these cards need to exist. It's not hard to hold a door for an extra 5 seconds and help out the person behind you with their arms full. It won't make you late and it will make their day. I know a lot of people who agree and they definitely are neither yuppies or hipsters. Common courtesy doesn't make you either of those things, and I strongly believe that all the people threatening a punch in the face for the receipt of one of these cards knows that they deserve that card.
Kareem / December 4, 2011 at 01:05 pm
What the fuck are you supposed to do with cigarette butts? And fuck anyone who says pocket. Maybe the top of garbage cans should have ashtrays in them like they used to.
BIG MICKEY / December 4, 2011 at 01:11 pm
I presume this is a joke?
Leeann replying to a comment from Christian Bobak / December 5, 2011 at 10:54 am
Christian, you have obviously ridden on the Bathurst 7 bus where you can find all of those offenders and more. I swear, Survivor has nothing on riding that bus during rush hour...it's every man (or woman) for themselves.
Randy99 replying to a comment from Kareem / December 5, 2011 at 11:59 am
No ones has an answer for cigarette butts because there isn't a good one I think. If there is no ashtray, into the street they go--that is the right thing to do. And PS it is LEGAL to smoke.
NuToTO replying to a comment from Randy99 / December 5, 2011 at 12:58 pm
Randy99-That is not necessarily true. I've seen many smokers standing right next to an ashtray throw their cigarettes into the street, sidewalk etc. Restaurants should be required to keep ashtrays outside their establishments for that purpose. Walk on Yonge street or probably any other street and see all the butts in front of restaurants and bars. Disgusting.
rapi / December 6, 2011 at 06:34 am
i guess you're forever banned from the ttc after getting 3 of those cards...
nettle replying to a comment from Stinky Cheese Man / December 6, 2011 at 09:03 am
Subway: What about people who stop walking right at the platform after they finish taking the stairs down and block anybody else coming behind them. Duh!
nettle replying to a comment from lee / December 6, 2011 at 09:06 am
It's unacceptable, but I also don't understand why they can't walk to the curb and do it? Perhaps that's how infectious diseases spread ... carried into our homes and workplaces on footwear...
tom / December 6, 2011 at 03:20 pm
This is lame. I want to see you hand this out and get your ass kicked
usebrains replying to a comment from tom / December 7, 2011 at 11:59 am
DUMBOS, these should be freaking signs for all the public to see. The amount of people walking on all over the place is pretty apparent. I love the one slow person walking and blocking twenty other people.
l.a. / December 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm
I agree, people should engage, not hand out cards and disengage.

A few months ago I asked someone to turn down their headphones in a library after wishing they leave for 15 minutes or so. He wasn't receptive, I luckily found another empty spot to study, but I'll keep trying and everyone should.

I would like signs on public transit that read "If your neighbour can hear what music you're listening to, you won't be able to in the next few years".
john / December 7, 2011 at 01:10 pm
@henry.

hog poles= to be greedy and exclude others from holding onto the poles

barge doors= i think commenters are referring to the fact that people often push their way into the subway cars without first allowing those inside to exit. ultimately this prevents a smooth flow of traffic, and makes EVERYONE wait longer for boarding.

preachy= giving moralizing, self righteous advice.
Henry replying to a comment from john / December 8, 2011 at 11:26 am
Thanks John.
ElectricSlim / December 8, 2011 at 11:51 am
It's not going to do any good unless you translate it into Chinese.
Wam! Bam! Pow! replying to a comment from Steve / December 9, 2011 at 08:21 am
Hello Steve,

You're a moron. It says right in the f@cking article these are "Gay Cards". Try reading before commenting next time, douchebag.
Mike Waters replying to a comment from Anti-hobo / December 9, 2011 at 11:43 pm
I smokes a joint and read antihobo's comment about flicking the butts at the homeless. I am still cracking up...
Mike Waters replying to a comment from Anti-hobo / December 9, 2011 at 11:47 pm
WHERE DO PEOPLE EXPECT US TO PUT THE BUTTS. YES IF THERE IS A GARBAGE CLOSE BY I WOULD PUT THE BUTT IN THERE. SHOULD I CARRY THE SMELLY STUB WITH ME?...OR CARRY THE LITTLE CONTAINER TO PUT USED BUTTS?...NO THANKS..I THROW THEM IN THE SEWERS TOO....AND LETS NOT FORGET NO ONE IS PERFECT.
Henry replying to a comment from ElectricSlim / December 15, 2011 at 02:48 pm
According to you, people who have different opinion here must Chinese, Huh?
Go out and check around the street, see who flick more butts and spit more on the curb?
Eat it replying to a comment from Wam! Pow! Bam! / January 3, 2012 at 08:15 pm
I don't know... Douche bag!
Britt replying to a comment from Active Aggressive / January 3, 2012 at 09:32 pm
I just love this comment! I didn't mean to stumble upon this page at all. But's it's so true.
My favourite part is "Passive agressive bullshit disguised as self-righteous indignant humour". Self-righteous is correct. So self-righteous that if punched in the face even, they sue! Maybe that person didn't know why you were tapping on their shoulder. Toronto is the only place someone tried to rob me. Things happen. People get punched. I kicked the guy in the balls, Maybe the punchee can find a card for the puncher. Your not all rude. But this thread does reveal a lot of self-righteous undertones. And I would like to know, if there's no garbage or ashtrays around, where are you supposed to put the cigarette butt? That's a good question.
Rich / January 9, 2012 at 09:01 am
I considered using the cards, then I thought about it a little while and realized that would just be an awkward confrontation and it probably won't end with a positive outcome, probably a negligible outcome where the person just throws out the card without reading it. So instead I just called out some lady on the subway when she put her arm up to steady herself, unfortunate for me it was directly in front of my face obstructing the view of my newspaper article on my blackberry. I politely said "excuse me your blocking my view of my blackberry", which got a negative reaction initially from her douche bag husband who made some comment about well these are the times we live in yadda yadda technology this and that blah blah!! but whatever I stood my ground and pointed out the handle was close by and her arm wouldn't travel through my personal space.. then based off of douchebags comment I compared my tiny little blackberry to a large newspaper and asked is their really a difference except for the extra room a blackberry provides... regardless they got off feeling sheepish and selfish hopefully they will take that encounter and change their ways...
Jocelyn replying to a comment from Internet Tough Guy / February 7, 2012 at 01:06 pm
You sware? Here's your etiquette card for proper spelling...
Lindsay replying to a comment from Active Aggressive / July 17, 2014 at 01:06 pm
I couldn't agree with you more!
Lindsay replying to a comment from Active Aggressive / July 17, 2014 at 01:07 pm
I couldn't agree with you more!
Sarah replying to a comment from Richie / July 17, 2014 at 01:23 pm
I'm a 5'3 girl and if someone doesn't move when asked politely multiple times (and clearly aren't hearing impaired), I too have no objections to pushing through them.
Chris! / July 17, 2014 at 01:29 pm
Ugh, these are so condescending. Imagine actually looking a stranger in the eye and handing them one of these cards.
anti-albertan / July 17, 2014 at 02:09 pm
People in Toronto should consider themselves lucky. Here in Edmonton (and probably the whole of Alberta), people don't line up for public transit. They don't even stand on the left side of the escalator and prefer to stand on the right side and block traffic. They are passive-aggressive cowards who collude behind your back if they don't like you at work and plot to have you fired. And then there are so many people (yes those who look like they have a lot of money)who ask for cigarettes-you can find them everywhere. People's hearts here are as cold as the climate. They only pretend to be nice and are fake-ass pieces of garbage. And they probably bash Torontonians for being cold when in fact they are the cold ones. So, Torontonians be thankful that you are one even though there are minor inconveniences from your neighbour. You haven't seen the devils that are called Albertans
Anon / July 17, 2014 at 02:29 pm
for "human beings" there should be a box for 'customers'. Being polite works both ways. I live by the smile-and-share-positive feelings, but on all too many occasions are they ill-received by sales associates/cashiers/etc in the city.
Kristy / July 17, 2014 at 07:20 pm
I'm just thankful that all we are worried about is proper etiquette. We have it pretty good if all that is bothering us is someone walking and texting- from the looks of the news today in other parts of the world...
Asa / July 17, 2014 at 09:27 pm
So... Elderly long after cab drivers and receptionists?
Some etiquette.
Fed up with rudeness / July 18, 2014 at 07:57 am
These cards should include "please bathe before you leave the house" - I'm not even trying to be rude, it's just awful to ride the TTC sometimes :( But if people in T.O. can't even look at each other, how would they ever hand these out? People let too much slide in this city, until it hits a boiling point and then pure aggression and rudeness spills out. Must say, it was rather wonderful visiting London where people on the subway were clean, well dressed and actually polite (in Canada we confuse politeness with being quiet about everything). Grow some balls, Torontonians! Be civilized and start showing some love for your city!
Sterph replying to a comment from Peter Politeness / July 18, 2014 at 10:19 am
YES! I agree! So many of them are jerks! As a pedestrian, I hate hearing how bicyclists have it bad in this city. I have been nearly run down by cyclists that never obey traffic laws many times!
EffaYu replying to a comment from org / July 18, 2014 at 01:52 pm
Hey turnip, maybe you should move to the country if you can't handle urban life. No one asked you to move here.
Born416 replying to a comment from Internet Tough Guy / July 18, 2014 at 01:58 pm
Right after you take a remedial English class?
asdasd replying to a comment from POW / July 19, 2014 at 03:28 pm
You don't sue people in Canada you dumb ass hipster.
asdasd replying to a comment from POW / July 19, 2014 at 03:29 pm
I love how you assume someone isn't hearing impaired like you can tell by just looking at them. Get a fucking education you piece of shit.