Friday, December 19, 2014Cloudy -4°C

Dupont gets a Lego bike lane for a few hours

Posted by Derek Flack / October 4, 2011

Dupont Lego Bike LaneJust a few weeks after a portion of the Dupont bike lane was removed at Landsdowne, a street artist decided to offer a little reminder of its former presence via the construction of a Lego version near the southwest side of the intersection. Spotted by a blogTO reader on her morning commute at 8:30 a.m., she tells us that "some of it was already smashed" at the time, and a visit around 11:15 a.m. revealed no trace of the little intervention. I spoke to a police officer and construction worker in the area who both said that when they arrived at 9:30 a.m. there was no Lego on the road.

So that was fun while it lasted. I would imagine that it went up in the middle of the night when traffic lowers in the area, and was toast just after these photos were taken. Because it was only about four or five car-lengths long, it wouldn't have taken too much time of effort to remove it — kind of like the real lane, which was removed on or about September 14th. I have a hunch who the "artist" is, but will confirm before embarrassing myself with a false ID.

Update (1:00 p.m.)

Lego Bike LaneHere's a photo with a bit more context via Martin Reis / Bike Lane Diary, who explains that the work was done by the Urban Repair Squad.

Check out a few more pics from monkygrl's Flickr streamDupont Lego Bike LaneDupont Lego Bike Lane

Update (4:20 p.m)

Here's a slideshow of the Lego bike lane in all its glory courtesy of Martin Reis who managed to grab some photos before it was dusted.

fixed it for you / October 4, 2011 at 12:27 pm
So that was (stupid and irresponsible) while it lasted.
shutup replying to a comment from fixed it for you / October 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm
Not as stupid as your retarded comment.
Gordon Shumway / October 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm
Whats so stupid and irresponsible about taking a shot at our R'tard of a mayor?
cultureshot replying to a comment from fixed it for you / October 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm
I know, right? How dare someone humorously and harmlessly point out the need for complete streets in our city? I should be able to drive in downtown Toronto as if it were a highway with no regard for the people who actually live there. Damn hippies and communists.
toys'r'us / October 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm
What a moronic thing to do. How old was this "artist", maybe 9 or 10? The only "fun" would have been squashing the shit of the Lego with a dump truck. Get a real job.
carly / October 4, 2011 at 12:50 pm
Whats STUPID is removing the damn left turning lane at that intersection. ONLY because motorists are too stupid to get into the right lane before its too late and everyones too pissed from bein stopped to let anyone in. Thanks gas station that charges 8 cents less than everywhere else that makes lansdowne and dupont a fuckin mess and im pretty sure ultimately messed up the entire intersection
AV / October 4, 2011 at 01:03 pm
Carly, if I was single I would ask you to marry me. EXACTLY how I and a whole whack of other West Enders feel!
mark / October 4, 2011 at 01:49 pm
Further proof we have patient and respectful drivers in this town. Otherwise the 'artist' wouldn't be alive to finish their spectacle. They'd have been run over.
mark / October 4, 2011 at 02:57 pm
Geex. Everyone is an artists nowadays!
DS / October 4, 2011 at 03:17 pm
WTF makes this art? Get a job...
electric / October 4, 2011 at 03:35 pm
That isn't lego... it's the imposter stuff!

What we saw here was Toronto's first separated bicycle lane.
Ian / October 4, 2011 at 03:47 pm
What does it have to do having a job exactly? I ride my bike along Dupont every day to work.
Moving the start of the bike lane west of Lansdowne hasn't helped the horrible traffic congestion on Dupont, and has made that intersection much less comfortable to cycle though. Great idea for making the point.
Kieren replying to a comment from DS / October 4, 2011 at 03:56 pm
Typing online at 3:17pm? YOU get a job. And if you're at your job while you comment online, then you're a terrible worker.
ArtIsMyJob / October 4, 2011 at 04:22 pm
Art IS a job. It's work is to make you think. For some of you, this lego project it made you think. That's what makes it art. For those of you who said "get a real job", it's clear you are unable to think. That's what makes me sad for you.
Adam replying to a comment from Kieren / October 4, 2011 at 04:30 pm
LOL!
David Davidson replying to a comment from fixed it for you / October 4, 2011 at 04:39 pm
Not funny, artistic, or even slightly amusing.
marcus / October 4, 2011 at 04:50 pm
Hilarious. Also, it's clearly Duplo.
marcus / October 4, 2011 at 04:50 pm
Hilarious! Also, it's clearly Duplo. :)
avp / October 4, 2011 at 04:53 pm
y'know, sometimes stuff can be frivolous fun.

maybe everyone should calm down a bit.
Kids / October 4, 2011 at 05:36 pm
This s why we shouldn't let our kids play out in the streets!
ArtistMyAss replying to a comment from ArtIsMyJob / October 4, 2011 at 06:13 pm
Oh yeah, I can think. I think smoking that Duplo douchebag would have done bad things to my Lexus' paint job. Now I have a reason to feel sad.
Jono / October 4, 2011 at 07:13 pm
I see a helicopter from the original Lego airport in there (the yellow one)! Cool!

Mike J replying to a comment from ArtIsMyJob / October 4, 2011 at 08:02 pm
The only thing I thought was how fucking stupid it was.
Fixed it for you / October 4, 2011 at 08:08 pm
Toronto has the worst drivers in the world,so for idiots to f with the street with some childish distraction that could cause an accident is beyond irresponsible and dangerous.

Where the f is your common sense, people?
angry man / October 4, 2011 at 08:09 pm
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!
Amory replying to a comment from ArtistMyAss / October 4, 2011 at 08:12 pm
does a scratch in the paint job break the magical spell that distracts from your small dick?
ArtistMyAss replying to a comment from Amory / October 4, 2011 at 09:34 pm
Small dick?? Try big clit and tight juicy lucy. Girls love Lexi! Do ya think the Duplo twats get any dates?
AHAHAHAHA replying to a comment from Amory / October 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm
omg BEST COMMENT EVER!

AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
P replying to a comment from ArtistMyAss / October 5, 2011 at 01:37 am
Hahaha, 'Lexi'.
Jibbly replying to a comment from DS / October 5, 2011 at 03:01 am
I love all the "get a job" tags. Most artists I know hold down a full time or a couple of part-time jobs while still making relevant, thought-provoking work. While you're what ... watching Vampire Diaries? Making your picks for a fantasy hockey pool?
Lay off the Lebowski tag lines. They're not as effective as you think they are.
waste of time replying to a comment from ArtIsMyJob / October 5, 2011 at 09:18 am
All this made me "think" is "this is stupid" and if lego is art, I know some six year olds that are much better with lego then this idiot.
5c4r7 / October 5, 2011 at 09:26 am
I am both a motorist and cyclist. I'm all for bike lanes where they work but I am willing to hazard to say that the Dupont bike lane is the most poorly implemented bike lane in the city. It just does not work. The purpose of bike lanes is to allow people to ride bikes to help reduce pollution. However, the only outcome of this bike lane has been more cars idling and heavier traffic and causing more pollution. I honestly think Toronto would benefit from a cycling network and in areas where there is heavier traffic flow, move the bike lane to the side walk. Just make sure that the bike lanes are clearly indicated for the rider and that pedestrians still have the right of way. I think this will allow traffic to move faster and lower the death rate of cyclists. People seem to protest the idea of a bike lane on the sidewalk but, if you really think about it, what combination would equal less possibility of death bikes and cars or bikes and pedestrians? I say the latter. Also, there are far too many cyclists in Toronto who do not follow the laws. This ruins the reputation for cyclists who do. Every morning I see at least 1 cyclist ride through a stop sign like it does not apply to them or someone weave in and out of traffic at random. I think if the demand is for more cycling activity in this city, then it makes sense an increase in policing cyclists should also take effect.
Trogdor replying to a comment from Jibbly / October 5, 2011 at 09:39 am
Did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason people dislike you artsy types is because you are so full of yourselves? Look at what you wrote: "Most artists I know hold down a full time or a couple of part-time jobs while still making relevant, thought-provoking work. While you're what ... watching Vampire Diaries? Making your picks for a fantasy hockey pool?"... I see, so anyone who isn't an artist or who enjoys watching TV for an hour or so after work is trash in your eyes.

LMAO! How's the air up there on your pedestal? When you're ready to come back to reality, let us know. Until then, quit your elitist bullshit, you are not better than everyone because you can scribble some shit on a page that a 5 year old could do....
Bakerman / October 5, 2011 at 09:55 am
That's right. Vampire Diaries is back on, I wonder what will happen with Stephan going all bad this season.
Josh / October 5, 2011 at 10:12 am
Remove the bike lanes completely from Dupont. They cause major gridlock which causes idling which, wait for it, causes MORE air pollution. Rob Ford is a dumb ass for sure, but not as stupid as the fart who decided that these lanes were a good idea.
McRib replying to a comment from ArtistMyAss / October 5, 2011 at 12:13 pm
Alan Partridge fan?

i believe the correct spelling would be lexii, but i could be wrong.

cock piss partridge
Chris replying to a comment from Josh / October 5, 2011 at 01:04 pm
I think you are on to something. We should triple the number of laneways throughout the country, heck even the world. We could get rid of bike lanes, sidewalks, and even backyards. Face it, only people without jobs have time to use a backyard. We could definitely stop global warming if those cars got there faster!!!
andrew / October 5, 2011 at 01:13 pm
Whimsical art. Look it up. It was a cute and harmless installation. Relax!
Mule / October 5, 2011 at 05:42 pm
What a great forum for the release of angst and hatred! I'm signing up right now!
Mule / October 5, 2011 at 05:45 pm
So here we go...the Dupont/Annette bike lanes were introduced in the first place on a fraudulent basis. Impact studies assessing how badly the traffic would be fucked up were conducted by NDP consultants hired at the behest of the Miller cabal, specifically to produce findings for City Traffic that showed minimal impact on commuting times. The estimated impact on travel time for a vehicle traveling from Jane to Lansdowne in rush hour was purported to be an additional ONE MINUTE!!!
Mule / October 5, 2011 at 05:47 pm
It gets better...Toronto cycling nuts, who seem to be unnaturally concentrated along this corridor, persist in trying to carry on as if there has been a negligible impact on road safety as a result of this horrific, deadly re-design of a major east-west artery.
Mule / October 5, 2011 at 05:51 pm
What the city's crooked traffic analysis never took into account was not just the volume of traffic along Annette and especially Dupont, but the nature of that traffic. An extraordinary number of vehicles traversing this corridor are light and heavy trucks - from contractors' pickups to dump trucks to concrete trucks. This corridor has always been, and unavoidably will remain, a place where working people drive the vehicles that they need in order to make their contribution to the economy. They just can't hop on the bus or ride a bike carrying 50 2x4x12s and a toolbox.
Mule / October 5, 2011 at 05:55 pm
And so the unnatural combination of narrow lines, giant vehicles and indignant cyclists has been imposed on all of us. It is a profoundly dangerous situation - incredibly unsafe for the typical helmetless, turf-guarding cyclist, and a tightrope walk for drivers. The vehicle-bike dynamic is a ticking time bomb.
Mule / October 5, 2011 at 05:57 pm
You know what - I love my bike. I ride my bike. But I would rather eat broken beer bottles than take it from Jane to Lansdowne in rush hour. The bike lanes in this corridor are a failure - they don't work for anybody and it's time to reconsider them entirely.
Mule / October 5, 2011 at 06:00 pm
The real disaster in planning is that every other east-west route in the area has been compromised concurrently. Davenport is similarly clotted and made unnavigable by bike lanes. St. Clair has been turned into a one-lane goat path to protect street car lines that never seem to contain street cars - except for the occasional one that rolls past virtually empty. Who would ever have imagined five years ago that Bloor Street would be the best east-west route between Lawrence and the lake? Unbelievable...
mike / October 6, 2011 at 12:18 am
Wow I guess it's not the US that is becoming hyper-polarized...

That being said- haha someone driving a Lexus called someone else a deuchebag.. I guess driving 75 and not signalling makes it hard to avoid obstacles that come up on the road..

But seriously people need to stop with statements like the above because they bring us down to the level of people that come on here and say all art is bad or that the person who did this doesn't have a job.. Those people sounds like pig-fucking hillbillys with an IQ of 10 :)

Instead of using inflamitory comments I'd love to see the day when people talk on an online comment the way they do in real life.. I bet 99% of you (including me) wouldn't have the balls to say those comments to the other person's face... then again maybe you would.. still gets in the way of a proper dialogue, what are we 12 year olds on the playground?

Bikes need routes to get around.. maybe they don't have to follow major roads though.. The traffic/selfish driving/inept road construction practices are bogging down this city's efficiency, health, and personal finances.

I'm for a strategically palnned sidewalk lane..

as stated before.. bike + person leads to less deaths than bike + car. If bikers watched out where they were going more then pedestrians could too.. take one of your ipod headphones out and at least be SEMI aware of what's going on.. Just cause your walking doesn't mean you can just daze out..
There are statistically more deaths per km of drunk walking than drunk driving :O So pay attention EVERYONE!

mike / October 6, 2011 at 12:20 am
I wonder how many comments with be about my typo and that indicating I'm a moron vs actually responding to any points I made... HA HA BEAT YOU TO IT!

Welshgrrl replying to a comment from Mule / October 11, 2011 at 04:04 pm
As someone who lives near St. Clair, the streetcars I see/use run frequently and are fully occupied with paying customers. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good multi-post rant ...
tits / July 16, 2013 at 01:58 pm
Howdy! This article couldn't be written any better! Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept talking about this. I'll forward this post to him.
Fairly certain he'll have a good read. Thanks for sharing!
finger me / July 18, 2013 at 05:33 am
Thanks for finally talking about >Dupont gets a Lego bike lane for
a few hours