Wednesday, September 3, 2014Clear 16°C

Is The Hideout poster heist for real?

Posted by Luke Champion / January 23, 2011

Hideout stolen posterHave you seen the woman pictured above? If so, The Hideout on Queen West might have a $100 bar tab with your name on it.

Last weekend, this brazen vixen - along with at least two accomplices - is alleged to have made off with a Ramones poster signed by long time drummer Marky Ramone. It was a gift to the bar's owners, Dan and Jimmy Good, when the place opened four years ago. It reads: "To the Good brothers, all the best."

Dan Good explains via telephone that he doesn't know if the poster is worth anything, but the brothers would like it back for sentimental reasons. It really tied the room together.

Lucky for them, the whole chain of events was caught quite clearly on the bar's security cameras. Now they're looking for help from the public to identify the culprits of this heinous heist. The security video has been edited into a little movie that shows the brothers still have a sense of humour about the whole situation.

The video clearly shows the woman remove the poster from the wall and carry it out the side exit and through the fence before hopping over it herself.

"We realize some people do stupid things at times and we're quite forgiving when it comes to that," Good explained. "We just want our poster back."

In fact, Good has been more than forgiving since the poster went missing. Initially he decided not to reveal the identity of the person on video, hoping conscience and a sober mind on the part of the thief might lead them to return it. But when nothing showed up by Thursday, he posted her photo to the Facebook group and then, the video.

"We really thought someone would have come forward by now," he said. "We're a pretty close knit group here, especially that night. There was probably 100 people here who all mostly knew each other."

Good still insists all will be forgiven with the safe return of the poster. In fact, he's even refrained from involving the police up until this point.

"We don't' really wan to get anyone in trouble to tell you the truth," he said.

But he hasn't ruled out the possibility of making an official report at some point, he just hopes it doesn't need to come to that.

Liza / January 23, 2011 at 02:01 pm
Is it just me or does that look like Lindsay Lohan?
neonshaun / January 23, 2011 at 02:07 pm
100% definitely is lindsay lohan. No doubt about it in my mind. Mystery solved.
dildonix replying to a comment from Joey JoJo / January 23, 2011 at 02:52 pm
also, i hope they catch the asshole who did that.
Jimmy / January 23, 2011 at 02:54 pm
Great Blog... Thanks blogTO, I hope this helps with the speedy return of our signed Ramones Poster. Perhaps this will give the culprit the push they need to simply return the item. COME ON... You can do it... Bring it back - face the music!!!
Randy / January 23, 2011 at 03:07 pm
Of COURSE the poster is valuable! Especially if the owners can prove it was personally inscribed to them (a photo of the signing and a date works best). I'd check eBay, and othetr sites that specialize in rock memorabilia.
pb / January 23, 2011 at 03:13 pm
maybe blur faces of anyone not directly related to the heist :)
Cool / January 23, 2011 at 03:28 pm
COOL
ROCK ON!

JOEY RAMONE WOULD BE PROUD OF THIS CHICK!

SUCK IT HIDEOUT!
The Dude / January 23, 2011 at 03:38 pm
Well, you know thats like your opinion man. The Dude does not oblige
Detective Frank / January 23, 2011 at 03:46 pm
Thief: Miss Barrie 1998

Just look at the county registry and her name and hair will be in there

Accomplices: pirate whores

Just go to a pirate whore convention and you'll find them no problem
Serge replying to a comment from Detective Frank / January 23, 2011 at 03:57 pm
@Detective Frank: Miss Barrie? There is such a thing as Miss Barrie?
Justin / January 23, 2011 at 04:11 pm
A signed Ramones poster is pretty awesome, but way to phone it in on the autograph message, Marky.
meeeeeeeeeee / January 23, 2011 at 04:15 pm
Having watched the video, I can't help but wonder why no one thought to question Blohan's actions at the time?

Karma Police / January 23, 2011 at 04:28 pm
Please involve the police and get these girls in trouble, even if it doesn't amount to very much in the grand scheme of things. People like this ruin it for a lot of other folks. They get away with treating other people like crap because they happen to be slightly -- and I stress slightly in this case -- above average in the looks department. This time, she steals your poster. Next week, she steals some other girl's jacket because she's too vain to wear one to a club yet definitely wants one on the way out.

Do you think this is a one time behavioural anomaly? Of course not. This kind of person goes through life acting this way and until somebody stops them, the world is at a net-loss for their mere existence. The poster is probably hanging in her apartment that's paid for by her parents because she's a stupid little sh*t that can't sustain herself in her late 20s. That, or she drunkenly drove it home to her parents' place in the 905. Screw her, give her a wake-up call before she hits 35 and starts losing her looks.
ronnie replying to a comment from meeeeeeeeeee / January 23, 2011 at 04:44 pm
If you do something boldly/purposefully enough, no one will tend to question you.
JohnNMack / January 23, 2011 at 06:02 pm
these girls are not above average looking in anyway.
Sean / January 23, 2011 at 06:48 pm
Okay, I like the Hideout but, I think they got what they deserved on this occasion.

No, I am not advocating theft but, if someone is able to take something that big off the wall, and leave without anyone giving a shit, clearly they need to re-evaluate how they do things.

Seriously, it is not even as if they tried hard to pull this heist off. A junkie in a state could have done this with ease.
Paris / January 23, 2011 at 07:03 pm
This screams Hoax... Good attempt at publicity stunt... As someone pointed out the other patrons faces where not blurred out...
Swrede / January 23, 2011 at 07:18 pm
Just because something is easy to steal doesn't mean it should be. Just because somebody might do something stupid while drunk doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad person, it might not necessarily applies to this situation just don't judge something from the first impression. Food for thought
Robert / January 23, 2011 at 07:35 pm
So how much did The Heist pay you guys to put this up?
Tim replying to a comment from Robert / January 23, 2011 at 07:40 pm
$50,000. Pretty good for us, huh?
Bubba / January 23, 2011 at 08:14 pm
What a douche bag, and no one in the place thought to say something. There is a guy talking to her while she is taking it down. What is wrong with these people today, were they raised like animals? Bunch of savages!
Ratpick / January 23, 2011 at 09:48 pm
Meh. Marky was the lamest Ramone. Sorta like Kenny Jones in The Who.
Roger / January 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm
Time to hire new security!
Robert / January 23, 2011 at 10:17 pm
I just watched the intro part of the video for 1 minute and it is obvious to me this is a fake. Why the production on this video at all?

Even Jimmy Good hopping on the comment train is way too calculated.
Yes and... replying to a comment from Robert / January 23, 2011 at 10:44 pm
Hey Robert I wish I was as smart as you but I'm not, so please explain why you think this is fake. Or is it just a tingling in your balls that tells you it's fake.
m / January 23, 2011 at 11:08 pm
probably a hoax. in any case, neither the thieves nor the other patrons inspire me to visit the hideout any time soon. this city looks like it's becoming overrun with douchebags.
mike / January 23, 2011 at 11:10 pm
Um like i said
She is a whore
Deserves to go to jail like whore
F this bitch
S / January 24, 2011 at 01:46 am
Bet the owners will back up the proposed citizen's arrest bill.

Same owners should screw walled objects deep in the walls.

@m & @mike: WELL SAID!!
g-ran / January 24, 2011 at 07:31 am
during the intro, they spelled "heist" wrong. and it's all a bunch of BS. exactly what a two-bit, Toronto buster bar would do as a publicity stunt. Lame.
alan / January 24, 2011 at 08:21 am
am i the first but why is the whole thing reversed?
Al / January 24, 2011 at 09:16 am
Fake? I wonder. I could go either way.
Hmmmm / January 24, 2011 at 09:28 am
1:15 - ringleader just happens to stop in the perfect spot for us to get a good long look at her face

1:28, 1:31, 1:33 1:37 - ugly booted accomplice looks directly into the "security camera"

And the Hideout staff need to go to beer tent raising school since they built their Molson Canadian tent inside out. Duh.
Ryan L. replying to a comment from Sean / January 24, 2011 at 09:29 am
It's funny, I went to University with a guy named Sean who ripped a poster from a wall outside a bar while drunk one night. It was a big plastic sign that was bolted to the wall.

Never underestimate the ability for drunk people to be destructive.
Sean replying to a comment from Ryan L. / January 24, 2011 at 09:37 am
Now you have me wondering if I ripped a plastic sign off of a wall during a drunken stupor.
Jimmy / January 24, 2011 at 11:08 am
I can assure you this is no HOAX or publicity stunt. We had originally posted a pic of this girl on Facebook to try and get our poster back. We were overwhelmed by how many of our great friends and patrons re-posted it to try and help us out. I put this video together solely for entertainment purposes for those people, as a thank you for their support.

Alan you are right, the whole thing is reversed. When I put the video feed from the cameras on my laptop it was upside down so I had to flip it - as you can see I am no editor, just playing around for fun and didn't know how else to do it.
JM replying to a comment from Detective Frank / January 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm
hoax or not, can we try and step away from labeling these women 'whores' please?
National Geographic replying to a comment from JM / January 24, 2011 at 01:33 pm
You need to go explore who wears boots like those.
jamie / January 24, 2011 at 01:44 pm
those are the best nights.. lol :)
Enrico Pallazzo replying to a comment from JM / January 24, 2011 at 01:52 pm
I agree, these girls are clearly not whores but, in fact, skanky hos. There's some hos in this house! There's some hos in this house!
kstop / January 24, 2011 at 02:10 pm
It's the price you pay for the clientele you choose.
MP replying to a comment from kstop / January 24, 2011 at 02:21 pm
I wonder who it was that said, "Love All, Serve All"... Probably nobody who would put a Ramones poster up on the wall, that's for sure.
Jessica / January 24, 2011 at 07:19 pm
I want to say a couple of things based on some of the comments I've seen from people on here, and in defence of the Good brothers and their long-standing bar and amazing reputation.

Anyone who posted any rude comments about hoaxes, them getting what they deserve, or about choosing their clientele, this is for you.

Having known these guys since before they even opened the Hideout, and being a musician in this city and a giant advocate for this bar (they have helped me have my CD release, and I've had the pleasure of singing on this stage many times and know how hard they work for the people they bring in there) Jimmy and Danny have busted their asses for over four years to keep this place rocking and packed as many nights as they can. They are both generous, amazing men who would take the shirt off their backs for any of you who contribute positively to their establishment. I've even seen them be totally understanding in situations where they simply didn't have to be, to people like you who make silly and ignorant comments. To say that they deserved it is just retarded. To think they would go through all the effort to put something like this together that isn't true is even more retarded. And frankly in any bar you go to in this city, clientele will always be mixed and not everyone is expected to get along.

But if you do know these guys, and you do know how sweet and hardworking they are, you would understand how horrible of a thing this is for them, and how frustrating it is for something so close to their heart go missing because some people in the world don't bother speaking up because they aren't confrontational enough to stop someone from doing that. If I had been there, I would have personally grabbed it from their hands and made sure they were never allowed in that place again.

That's my piece. You all don't have to care as much as I do, but if you know Danny and Jimmy, you probably would. Don't judge people on stuff like this. It's no one's fault but the idiots who took part in it, and the selfish people who were too scared to say anything to them.
poppy / January 24, 2011 at 07:32 pm
i want to believe that this is a hoax, but there are some awfully entitled brats out there. The other night, I was out dancing at the boat with some friends. I put my drink down on the table and some brat picked it up and tried to make away with it. It was pretty crowded so I didn't notice but my boyfriend did and snatched it out of her grabby little hands, and the look she gave it him said it all. She had no shame. There's a crowd of kids in their late teens early twenties running around just taking taking taking whatever they want and there are never any consequences.
dnr / January 25, 2011 at 12:27 am
I don't know if this is a hoax or not. I don't know the guys who own the bar. As a matter of fact I've never been there but I do know one thing. If I had a Ramones poster signed by a Ramone I wouldn't just hang it in my bar with one nail full of drunk assholes. I hope you get your poster back but next time do a better job securing your shit. College kegger time is over.
dan / January 25, 2011 at 02:37 am
why the fudge would it be a hoax, how would the the lack ambiance entice me to go rage there, any publicity good publicity yyayyaya are you joking?
kstop / January 25, 2011 at 03:59 pm
If the place is packed out every night with drunk assholes, then a) they probably have a more robust definition of "horrible" and b) they should be making enough to buy an actual Ramone and secure him to the wall.

I'm not saying the proprietors aren't nice people, but the fact is that the place is somewhere I would rarely go to, partly because the clientele are the kind of people that pull shit like this.
Iaian / January 25, 2011 at 10:16 pm
Anyone who thinks this is a hoax is completely mistaken. I can assure you 100% that it is no hoax. It was me that gave the brothers Good the poster. It was a gift to thank them for their kindness and help when I first arrived from Scotland in 2007. Within 2 weeks of arriving Jimmy and Danny had given me 10 nights work DJing at the Hideout during film festival. This not only got me on my feet, it introduced me to a whole host of wonderful people that I am now proud to call my friends along with the Good brothers. A few months later I was working at what was Republik nightclub (now XS) as one of their AV operators and techs. I discovered that I would be working the lights the same night Marky Ramone was doing a guest DJ spot. I saw a chance to get the brothers good a nice thank you present and Marky was more than happy to sign the poster. So I repeat this is not a Hoax!!!

Sedated replying to a comment from Iaian / January 26, 2011 at 10:26 am
laian

Your story of obtaining the poster, although charming and nice, does not prove or disprove that this is or is not a hoax.
James replying to a comment from Jessica / January 30, 2011 at 06:07 pm