Sunday, December 21, 2014Mostly Cloudy -2°C

How to search for jobs in Toronto

Posted by Robyn Urback / January 21, 2011

Toronto Jobs SearchJobs in Toronto may be tough to find but at least you don't have to change out of your pajamas nowadays to search for one. That said, searching for a Toronto job online can quickly spiral into cataclysm of forgotten bookmarks and thrice-sent applications. Here's a breakdown of some of the most useful job search boards in Toronto, to hopefully make the experience a little easier.

Service Canada Job Bank
The Service Canada Job Bank is surprisingly comprehensive and easy to use. With new listings daily, you can break down your search in terms of area, category, part/full time, and employment length. The types of results are all over the board, from shift work to full-time salaried pay. You can also create a profile and receive alerts when new postings match your specifications.

Craigslist
As long as you don't mind sifting through the scam posts, Craigslist can actually be a great resource for landing a job. With many specific job categories, you can narrow your search to exactly what you're looking for. Another bonus is that in list view, most posts are accompanied by the closest major intersection in brackets so you can quickly scan which posts are most viable if you don't want to commute across the city.

Kijiji
Similar to Craigslist, the advantage to using Kijiji is that the column on the left shows you the number of postings in each job category. You can also set up email alerts for when new postings match your criteria. The page itself, however, is a little more cluttered and tougher to read.

Workopolis
Used by many big companies in the city, Workopolis is a good resource if you're looking for a job with an employer you recognize. The advanced search is particularly useful in that you can weed out posts based on your own educational background and level of experience. You can also post your resume and cover letter.

Monster
Not unlike Workopolis, though Monster makes it easy to scan posts without too much clicking. Initial results show which posts include salary information, and you can click on an icon to get that information without leaving the list page. The site also makes it fairly simple to save and organize posts.

TorontoJobCentre.com
The results from this portal are displayed in a clean, easy-to-read table (which you really come to appreciate if you've spent hours online). It seems to source its openings from a variety of different outlets, including Toronto universities, city postings, small businesses and bigger firms.

TorontoJobs.ca
It's not terribly aesthetically pleasing, but this site allows you to search based on salary expectations and advertises posts from local businesses as well as international corporations. There seems to be a lot of human resources and tech opportunities made available through this site.

Cultural Careers Council Ontario
Though not specifically for Toronto, many of the jobs posted on the CCCO job board are for opportunities in the GTA. This is a great resource if you're looking for a job in media, arts, writing, or culture. The search results are posted under the name of the company or festival for which the work is being solicited, organized by date posted.

City of Toronto
If you're looking for a job specifically with the city, check out its "Current Opportunities" and "Ongoing Recruitment" pages. You can apply to most jobs directly though the site.

Indeed
Indeed is basically a search engine that retrieves postings from a variety of different sites. Great if you don't feel like checking multiple sites, not so good if you're looking for specific results. Still, the search is clean and the list view makes clear the original source of each posting.

Media Job Search
A good resource for media-related postings. The browse page lets you see the current number of jobs being advertised in specific categories (i.e. newspaper, advertising/marketing, film) and the search can be filtered to limit the amount of information immediately presented. The site also includes information on upcoming media events and useful links.

Jeff Gaulin
Another media site, though this one caters more specifically to writers and journalists. As well as browsing for jobs, you can list yourself as a journalist for hire and potentially be featured on the home page.

GoodWork Canada
GoodWork is a green job site where you can find opportunities with environmental organizations and green companies. The search can be narrowed in terms of theme (Animals & Wildlife, Environmental Health, Food, etc.) as well as location. Volunteer opportunities are also posted on the site.

Eluta.ca
Eluta focuses on catching the newest job postings put on the web. You can search its general form, or look for jobs based on the top ranked employers in various categories, including greenest jobs, jobs for new Canadians, and general top employers.

Masthead
Masthead's job board is for candidates looking for positions in magazine publishing and related fields. Current opportunities are displayed in a table and broken down by area; design, advertising, editorial, management, web, production, and internships.

Facebook
Logging on during your job search isn't wholly a form of procrastination. You can check the Marketplace for jobs posted in the city (with the added bonus of being able to snoop the profile of the poster) and even type job-related keywords in the general search bar to see if any of your contacts are discussing an opportunity.

LinkedIn
LinkedIn has a handy jobs page that automatically displays postings you may be interested in and a search bar for you to find your own postings. The obvious advantage to using LinkedIn is that you'll be able to see if you know someone--or know someone who knows someone--connected to the employer.

What did I miss? Do you know a good web site to search for jobs in Toronto? Please add it to the comments below.

Photo by badgraces on Flickr

Michael / January 21, 2011 at 09:07 am
Thanks Robyn. I'm currently looking for a new job and you listed a few sites that I didn't know about. Another site that I like is wowjobs.ca which searches other posting sites and corporate sites.
xonan / January 21, 2011 at 09:14 am
Here's an idea: why don't you get off the computer and put in some actual work to find a job. You're not going to find a job while twittering/blogging/facebooking in alternate tabs.
Eric26 replying to a comment from xonan / January 21, 2011 at 09:26 am
Sadly xonan, you are very wrong. I wish you weren't though.
Jennifer / January 21, 2011 at 09:38 am
One of the best resources in the city for professionals is the networking group HAPPEN. They have job listings but even more importantly, a weekly meeting where you network with other job seeking professionals, hear from a relevant speaker (topics such as personal branding, resilience during challenging times, etc.). Dress code for meetings is business attire. Members have access to a newsgroup where members post job leads, seek help and advise others on questions that come up during the job search (I know they've saved many people from scammers that prey on job seekers), etc. Their website happen.ca is the source for full info. I highly recommend them.
KC / January 21, 2011 at 09:48 am
WORKOPOLIS.com is amazing! You can post your resume on their site and employers that post jobs can search for candidates resumes also. Word of advice keep your job titles simple in your resume. Even if you have a job its always good to be actively looking if a better opportunity does come along. You can post your resume confidential as well (your name won't show). I landed my dream job through Workopolis.com and many other friends have had success as well. I would suggest everyone to post their resume on this website and look daily for new jobs being posted! :) Your dream job awaits! :)
Anonymous Coward / January 21, 2011 at 10:16 am
Dudes, WTF?

Meshjobs.com
jobs.startupnorth.ca
P / January 21, 2011 at 10:21 am
Workopolis is not very good.
qwerty / January 21, 2011 at 10:26 am
Most, if not all, post secondary schools have their own careers/jobs site that is perfect for entry-level jobs in your field of study.
maureen / January 21, 2011 at 10:29 am
I like workinculture.com for arts jobs and internships.
Steph / January 21, 2011 at 10:42 am
wwww.Charityvillage.com

Huge resource! And not like workopolis where you have to weed through billions of fake marketing scams to find real postings.
Regina / January 21, 2011 at 10:47 am
Workinculture is a landmine of unpaid or underpaid dead end jobs, but employers get away with it because it's under the guise of "the arts".
RBeezy / January 21, 2011 at 10:55 am
katd replying to a comment from Regina / January 21, 2011 at 11:01 am
I agree with Regina, it is not very often that you find an actual paying job on workinculture. In fact after two years of trying to find a job in the arts I have given up and gotten better results looking for other jobs even though my background is film.

Ira Kates / January 21, 2011 at 11:04 am
TWITTER TWITTER TWITTER. I work for a large agency that specializes in SEO and Paid Search for large companies. We have been on a hiring spree lately and we have found a few people from here. It is a great resource to research companies and to get your name out there.

PS if you work in SEO or have experience in PPC please send me a note!
Rizie / January 21, 2011 at 11:30 am
Vestiigo!!!
ira kates replying to a comment from Rizie / January 21, 2011 at 11:45 am
ooo yes vestigo...great choice Rizze GO @JulieTyios!
misstdot replying to a comment from Jennifer / January 21, 2011 at 11:45 am
Is there a charge for these meetings and where are they held? Many thanks.
Sean / January 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm
Speaking as a guy currently looking for work, Job Bank, Kijiji, and Craigslist are absolute rubbish.

I expected more from Job Bank but, in my experience, they let practically anyone post there. Case in point, I responded to an ad and was granted an interview. I looked into the job and the employer's website left more than a little to be desired but, since I had nothing else to do that day, I figured I might as well go and check it out. I traveled over an hour to get there. When I got there, I realized they scheduled twenty interviews at the same time. The interview turned out to be a group interview and literally lasted two minutes. It was essentially an exercise in handing in your resume (which seemed rather redundant since I had already sent in my resume and a cover letter). I was offered the job. I declined it since their practices seemed way too shady for my liking.

Just one look at Kijiji makes you know it is sketchy.

With respect to Craigslist, I have only had one decent interview via a job posted on that site. Too many people grossly over exaggerate their business, its value, and the positions they post. For the most part thankfully, you can see through their ads (e.g. If a job states that people "average" a certain amount on there run!).

I prefer sites like Workopolis and Monster. Granted, you will see the odd sketchy job or two. Nonetheless, for the most part there appears to be proper employers there that are not looking to waste your time nor theirs.

P.S. qwerty With respect to your comment, I went to U of T and yes, they do have a job site. It is always advisable though to extend your net beyond your school's site.
ruby / January 21, 2011 at 01:27 pm
petersnewjobs.com

Matt replying to a comment from Steph / January 21, 2011 at 01:45 pm
I wholeheartedly second Charity Village. A wide range of job listings and more often than not you can be confident that the employers are actually doing good for society (lots of non-profits and related agencies).
marc / January 21, 2011 at 05:16 pm
Robyn - Thanks for your blog....we've been working on upgrading our website for the last 6 weeks.....as such we'll be aesthetically more pleasing in a couple of weeks! Happy to hear more feedback from anyone who'd like to call or email me! Anyone can post their resume on our site and search/apply to positions directly online on our website at www.TorontoJobs.ca.

Marc Belaiche
President
TorontoJobs.ca
marc.belaiche@torontojobs.ca
905-566-5627x2873
Tiffany / January 21, 2011 at 08:21 pm
For fashion jobs, there's www.styleninetofive.com
Kathleen O'Toole / January 22, 2011 at 04:46 pm
www.Simplyhired.com is a searchable spider that gathers job postings from many sites and is searchable by keywords, companies, location, and posting date.
KG / January 23, 2011 at 11:45 am
Here are two search engines that might come in handy:

Employment Ontario - http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/search.html (You can refine your search to what kind of help you require, e.g. "job search" and in what area to produce a listing of Employment Agencies.)

211Toronto.ca - If you click on 'Employment, Education & Training', you can do a more detailed search according to your job search need. (This site provides info. on all social, health and government services in Ontario.)

As someone who works in the field, I'm often shocked by the way that people go about job searching. It's not enough to know which websites have postings or where to look for work. Make sure you have a solid resume and a good cover letter that really highlight your skills & qualifications as they pertain to the position (yes, this means changing them for each position to target the position you're applying for). Also, follow-up. You can also try cold calling and networking to expand your job search.

If you need help with any of these, search the Employment Ontario site for an agency near you. The services are free and they offer workshops, resume/cover letter critiques, mock interviews and one-on-one counselling.
yawn / January 23, 2011 at 05:19 pm
thanks blogto, now i have to compete with hundreds of morons who didn't even know these sites existed until they stumbled upon this database you've created for lazy bones who don't know how to google
Nunzio Richard Drago / January 9, 2012 at 06:06 pm
HI, MY NAME IS NUNZIO R. DRAGO AND I WILL BE TURNING 40 YEARS OF AGE THIS SEPTEMBER.

NOW I AM LOOKING FOR A JOB IN THE WORK FORCE RELATED GOOD PAID
AND RAISE BONUSE INCLUDING TRIPS ALL OF THAT SO PLEASE CALL THIS NUMBER AT 905-477-9119 PLEASE CALL KAREN AT AROUND 7AM SHE WILL BE THERE ALL RIGHT BY.

ME NUNZIO,
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TRYING TO HELP ME FINDING ME A JOB AND YOU WILL TRY HARD OKAY.

TELL ME NOW OR JUST WALK AWAY FROM ME AND MY FACE CARA FACE BY.
Nunzio Richard Drago / January 25, 2012 at 06:00 am
HI, MY NAME IS NUNZIO AND I WILL BE TURNING 40 YEARS OLD OF THIS YEAR CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR FULL TIME JOB SHIFT.

I WENT THROUGH SCHOOL ALL I NEED IS TO WORK SO COULD YOU PLEASE CONTACT KAREN SPENCER AT 905-477-9119 SHE THE BITCH
YOU HERD ME ON THE TV NEWS YESTURDAY MORNING ABOUT ME. THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS IS AS IT FOLLOWS:

7811 KENNEDY ROAD,
MARKHAM ON,
L3R 2C8

SPEAK TO KAREN SPENCER SHE RUNS THE GROUP-HOME PLEASE GIVE ME
A JOB BY.

ME NUNZIO RICHARD DRAGO.

BW replying to a comment from KC / February 18, 2012 at 04:50 pm
KC: I'm afraid I've been using Workopolis for over 5 years and I've never got a face to face interview thru it. Some people have contacted me but it's never lead to a job.
Hardy ozman / July 26, 2012 at 11:17 pm
I am looking for a job i haope i can find a job from toronto any job
Tina Dole / September 7, 2012 at 11:09 am
I just finished my cpr training and now I'm hoping I will be able to find a job as a lifeguard. If anyone knows of any pools hiring please let me know. I know summer is ending, but there are still some indoor pools.
Katherine O'Brien / October 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm
I work for a local website that I’m sorry to see was not mentioned. It’s poss.ca (www.poss.ca), Toronto’s magazine for job seekers, which delivers information in French as well as English. Although this Employment Ontario-funded site does not provide job listings, it offers all kinds of in-depth articles on topics of interest to a job seeker: job search strategies, social media for job searching purposes, labour market information, training, networking and resume info. It also delivers career and industry profiles, links to job boards, and showcases job- and career-related events. Although many of the articles could be useful to anyone looking for a job, a new career or training, they often point to agencies and other resources that are based right here in Toronto. As far as I know this is the only bilingual resource of its kind in Toronto.
www.myflightandhotel.com / October 20, 2012 at 06:38 am
This is like my third time visiting your Blog. You should write more please, this information will help me and others. Try proof reading a couple of times before publishing. Keep writing though.
Toronto Freelance / October 22, 2012 at 01:14 pm
Well, we just opened up and I would say that we have the best place to get jobs in Toronto, hands down...lot of really cool stuff going on: torontofreelance.com
Olly / November 6, 2012 at 04:45 pm
Vestiigo.com seems to have the most original ones.
Troy / December 12, 2012 at 04:33 pm

Good range of part time jobs or full time.
Omar Ahmed replying to a comment from xonan / January 3, 2013 at 11:08 am
Hey Xonan,

Have some respect for the people on this community as they are trying to be of assistance.

Thanks,

Omar
Ken / January 11, 2013 at 07:30 pm
I found another good job website http://www.jobs-toronto.ca/
Joseph / January 29, 2013 at 03:30 pm
Robyn, this is a great resource, however you forgot to include www.jobvark.ca in your list!
Walid / February 20, 2013 at 02:55 pm
Thank you Robyn, great article and lots of information.
I also stumbled on this new website. They have a decent amount of jobs in big companies. They seem just started and adding more.
Ava Green / April 9, 2013 at 11:08 am
It is always great to have access to Job sites. The job search can be very frustrating or draining. Does anyone know of a job in the photocopy repair business?
Http://Www.ftworthseocompany1.Com/ / April 15, 2013 at 01:51 pm
I am really loving the theme/design of your weblog.
Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility issues?
A number of my blog visitors have complained about my site not working correctly
in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any
recommendations to help fix this issue?
job search in canada / April 25, 2013 at 02:41 pm
Thank you for sharing to us. There are many people searching about jobs that now they will find enough resources by your post. I would like to join your blog anyway so please continue sharing with us.
Operis.ca kills baby seals! / April 25, 2013 at 04:16 pm
Did you hear about that employment agency that kills baby seals with shovels and sledgehammers?

No? Well...their name is Operis.ca. And their staff regularly kills, maims and tortures all your favorite animals in cold blood! Kittens, puppies, even manatees are not safe.

Plus, if you go to their office, you WILL get AVIAN FLU. All their staff are infected. It's sad hear, because a lot of people are looking for work. But people have DIED going to Operis.ca
Me replying to a comment from Operis.ca kills baby seals! / April 25, 2013 at 06:43 pm
How do I get a job there? Sounds great!! i hATE baby seals!
Mr. A / August 21, 2013 at 08:25 am
Cool stuff Robyn. There is also www.canadavisa.com - it is made especially for new immigrants to help them find a job easily but of course anyone can use it. You can find jobs from everywhere like banks, telecom operators, governmental sector, etc. Good luck!
Mr. A replying to a comment from Mr. A / August 21, 2013 at 08:28 am
Here is exactly like the link for the job search page inside "CanadaVisa" to make your life easier :)

Sandy replying to a comment from xonan / September 17, 2013 at 01:41 pm
Sandy replying to a comment from Sandy / September 17, 2013 at 01:46 pm
Why don't you get off your high horse there? I'm not lazy...I have a full time job and go to school. Searching online helps the people who aren't lazy and don't have the time to go "out" and look for work. Ignorance is bliss! @Xonan
Amanda Mcgill / September 23, 2013 at 02:43 pm
You should add wowjobs.ca to the list. I use it frequently for jobs in Toronto:

Carlo / October 17, 2013 at 11:09 am
I suggest Ambit Executive Search, a recruitment firm specialised in accounting and finance jobs. You can get in touch with their recruiters, details are available in the website http://www.ambitsearch.com

Also the following are some of the positions they recruit for: tax manager, chartered accountant, financial controller, internal audit manager, CMA, CFO, VP of Finance, Director of finance and other manager, executive and senior roles.
Theo / November 6, 2013 at 11:28 pm
Hi everyone. I must say that finding good job is not easy. Please keep a few things in mind. Deciding on an actual career path will help. I recommend staying with it. Improve yourself and your skills constantly and this may lead to promotions and better doors opening. Get reading, read what you can about a field. Learn it more than the person who will interview you knows. Learn about the company, its history and its values. if they match your than go for it attack the jobs in this field. find job boards that have the job you want. Use every job board many companies post only one or multiple job boards. As the owner of www.BetterCanadianJobs.ca my staff and i fight to get as many companies to join our board as possible. creating jobs should be the focus of every politician no matter what level. jobs simply keep Canada going and feeding our children.
Me replying to a comment from Theo / November 7, 2013 at 08:05 am
I hear there's a mayor position available.
ken / November 28, 2013 at 09:07 am
Hello,
I think you missed listing a good website in the Toronto and GTA
Area. http://jobs-toronto.ca/
Kris Wood / December 2, 2013 at 01:31 am
I really appreciate your post and it was superb .Thanks for sharing information . I would like to join your blog anyway so please continue sharing with us.
Ashley Slade / January 8, 2014 at 06:45 pm
Hey if anyone out there has a job opening can you please let me know i need one before this month is done i am willing to do anything and i have a lot of experience in restaurants.So please email or give me a call 640 740 0207
iSkyscraper replying to a comment from Ashley Slade / January 8, 2014 at 09:50 pm
What do you look like? Maybe give Toronto Escorts a call. I use them all the time when I am in T.O. and they seem to treat the girls fairly well. It pays well ($250 an hour and up.)and you can make some good money.
Ashley Slade / January 8, 2014 at 09:56 pm
Do you have a number or an email address? that would help?! p.s text me the number/or email
iSkyscraper replying to a comment from Ashley Slade / January 8, 2014 at 10:56 pm
Just do a quick online search. Also look for Elite Escorts, they're also quite good, or at least from my side of the business as a customer.
andrew / January 23, 2014 at 10:22 am
We currently are looking for young ambitious sales people to promote our products across the Mississauga & Toronto area, applicant must be flexible and able to travel to our office location once a week. work Hours & Sales are dependent on the applicant
Applicant must be able to work within Monday-Sunday period.
This job requires promoting Health care products pure natural products to the public and or retail for sale.

Full knowledge and training shall be provided to ensure weekly targets are achieved Please forward resume

Or call (647) 891-5671 If you would like an Interview today our office hours are 12pm to 9pm 6285 Northam Drive, Mississauga, ON L4V, Canada.
john bond / February 5, 2014 at 06:03 pm
This is a sadly funny picture. Unfortunately if they have to put a sign up to make their employees wash their hands, their employees aren't getting very far anyways.
John Bond | http://www.keytowingandstorage.ca/en/
EnriqueGibbs / March 4, 2014 at 04:26 am
Thanks for sharing this informative blog. There are many people looking about jobs that now they will find enough resources by your post. Nice one.
Tim / June 19, 2014 at 11:05 pm
Hidden Jobs are at Jobs Toronto - http://www.Jobs.to
This job board is especially good for lower end jobs as this site posts jobs for free from the Toronto area.

www.workopolis.com is the high end job board for the Toronto area. Most big companies post there.

jack / August 6, 2014 at 10:06 am
mor than 4019 jobs in toronto. Search for all jobs in toronto on www.hibo.ca
Jeff / August 28, 2014 at 11:02 pm
WWW.jobs.to have greater than 75000 jobs available. Its cause you can post Toronto jobs free.
tram / September 11, 2014 at 05:45 pm
Anyone who looks for job. contact me at Tramlybichnguyen@gmail.com

We are hiring! tks
Oakley Half Jacket Sunglasse / September 28, 2014 at 08:49 pm
on and on and on.
Oakley Half Jacket Sunglasse http://www.ebuyaccessories.com
Lisa Tamblyn replying to a comment from Michael / October 18, 2014 at 01:06 pm
www.hirereach.ca is a new job posting website servicing Southwestern, Ontario and is just getting started. Register today..xo
Jacey So / November 26, 2014 at 10:13 pm
I want to work in Toronto.

I am a resident in Canada. I used to live in Vancouver. But 6 years ago I came back to Korea for a job and I have been working in a company since then. The decision to move back in Korea was made because a proper job for my career was not available in the city and my wife wanted to get back to home being tired of living abroad for a long time.

Since then the situation has been changed a lot and we became a separated family. My son and daughter got in the universities in the East of Canada. My son lives in Waterloo and my daughter in Kingston. I feel sad why we should live scattered like this.

I am always dreaming of family reunion. To do so I should come back to Canada as my kids should complete their studies there. I want to make my residence this time in Toronto. It is the center of the two cities and then we may get together in Toronto at weekends.

Once again, the roadblock in coming back to Canada is to find a stable job. Currently I am working as material procurement manager. I want to have a material management or warehouse relating job. If it's not available I can manage to be a forklift driver or delivery driver.

I hope this post is spread going viral as much as it can go. I am ready to hand in my resume to anyone who is interested in me or can introduce me to influential employers in Toronto area.

Thank you for reading. I can be contacted at any time at jcso58@naver.com