Saturday, April 19, 2014Clear 4°C

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010

Posted by Roger Cullman / October 24, 2010

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010The Toronto Zombie Walk 2010 included a Rob Ford detractor zombie, a TTC employee zombie and a Toronto Maple Leafs zombie amongst the thousands who marched from Trinity-Bellwoods Park to Christie Pits Park.

Now in its eighth year, the zombie walk has become a pre-Halloween institution, gathering in size each successive year. Last year's zombie walk drew 6,000 participants.

Here's a visual look at some of the gruesome characters represented at this year's Toronto Zombie Walk.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010Perhaps too early to celebrate, but victory was all his and I wasn't about to argue with a big guy who had a puck sticking out of his forehead.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010This TTC operator zombie got the "zero injury award" and has the hat to prove it.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010And I thought pinkeye was contagious.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010This little dog didn't seem effected by the zombie outbreak on the streets of Toronto. But I wasn't going to take any chances.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010This couple almost blended into the gorgeous foliage at Trinity-Bellwoods Park, where the hordes gathered before they marauded about the city streets.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010By the time they reached Kensington Market, there was song and merriment in the air. And a bit of rain.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010I began to get hunger pains, so I ducked into Big Fat Burrito, where I encountered this motley crew.

"There better not be a zombie coming in here and asking for a vegan burrito," joked the server. How about a brain burrito instead?

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010Augusta Street was filled with undead by mid-afternoon. Crossing College Street was a bit of a challenge.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010Trekkies and Candy Ravers and Ghouls, oh my!

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010Bring out your dead!

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010All-you-can-eat brains?

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010Zombies wait for a firetruck to pass on College at Augusta.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010Red and Jonny hand in hand....

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010You lookin' at me?

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010She'd give Edward Scissorhands a good handshake.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010Wearing slippers and cardigans, I almost mistook this zombie for Andy Warhol?

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010Time to refuel.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010Now, now. Let's not get testy with the cars.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010"Look at this fucking hipster" read her sign. Not sure if this was tongue-in-cheek or an attempt at dark humour.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010That's one serious leash he's got her on.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010This psycho zombie almost ate my e-bike.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010Zipper-faced zombies prepare to devour hooded child.

Toronto Zombie Walk 2010By 5:15 p.m. I was getting soaked and didn't quite make it to the zombie destination of Christie Pits park, or The Bloor Cinema, where they screened a 35mm print of Return of the Living Dead.

Photos by Roger Cullman Photography.

Alan / October 24, 2010 at 11:04 am
great photos..there were soooooo many awesome zombies out there...
Great City / October 24, 2010 at 11:29 am
Rob Ford will stop this next year. Get out and VOTE! Great photos. Thanx.
Shannon / October 24, 2010 at 12:38 pm
This just like the past ones were a blast, so many people out having some fun.

Rob Ford has stated that he will stop this, but many have stated that they will just dress up and walk around town next year to keep the tradition alive or undead rather.
Miriam / October 24, 2010 at 12:50 pm
I haven't been to one of these events (mainly because zombies just freak me out) but it's nice to see these photos and how creative people can get with their costumes. Like the zipper eyes or the leash/vein ideas. So much ideas!
Lindsay / October 24, 2010 at 01:02 pm
I attended and photographed my first Zombie Walk in Vancouver this year. It was really interesting. Mainly because I have absolutely no interest in things of this nature, but love seeing people go all out on it just for fun.
I LOVE the fire engine shot.
Ellen / October 24, 2010 at 01:10 pm
Please check out this interview with Denver zombie legend and shock rock icon Maris the Great who reveals that he practices feng shui and keeps the Tao Te Ching bedside. Great photos Toronto! With zombie kudos from city of Denver via adobeairstream and the great interviewer who is Groovey, also a masked man. http://adobeairstream.com/component/zine/article/478-interview-maris-the-great-steps-out.html
Ellen / October 24, 2010 at 01:10 pm
Please check out this link at http://adobeairstream.com/component/zine/article/478-interview-maris-the-great-steps-out.html for an interview with Denver zombie legend and shock rock icon Maris the Great. Who gives advice to zombie career wannabes and I'm sure would also love this photo show.
Ellen / October 24, 2010 at 01:11 pm
Please check out the link above for an interview with Denver zombie legend Maris the Great who advises people who want to be zombies for a living.
Bubba / October 24, 2010 at 03:18 pm
too funny, most excellent
JoeCarter / October 24, 2010 at 03:49 pm
Is that an Anti-flag reference!? ("Bring out your dead"
Emily / October 24, 2010 at 03:51 pm
Hey! I'm the Bride with Green Eye!
Thanks for the photo!
my pix are up:
Steve replying to a comment from Great City / October 24, 2010 at 04:08 pm
The Rob Ford detractors here and at the event fail to see the irony of their statements. There is absolutely no reason why Ford would even think of stopping this.

As far as I can see, there is <a href="http://www.torontozombiewalk.ca/";>no city money</a> in this. Imagine that! A popular cultural event in Toronto without city involvement. From all the carping about Ford, I would not have thought that possible.

Azzy / October 24, 2010 at 04:46 pm
Nice pics!
Just posted mine at http://www.flickr.com/photos/azured/sets/72157625233013720/
liz / October 24, 2010 at 05:15 pm
Look at this Fucking Hipster is a website. latfh.com
Roger Cullman replying to a comment from JoeCarter / October 24, 2010 at 06:06 pm
That bearded musician in the seventh photo from the top might be <a href="http://www.blogto.com/music/2009/12/ttc_busker_profile_derick_greenly/"; target="_blank">Derick Greenly</a> from our TTC Busker Profile here on blogTO. Can anyone here confirm or deny this?
shannon replying to a comment from Steve / October 24, 2010 at 08:04 pm
its blocks traffic, and angers drivers, nuff said. We all now how ford feels about that. The organizers of this walk, require city halls permission to get the permits.
Stefan / October 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm
Can we discuss the people that went to the zombie walk and barely committed by just wiping fake blood on their arms. If you're going to a Zombie walk, then you should FUCKING OWN IT.
Andrey Tochilin / October 25, 2010 at 08:47 am
Watch video from Toronto Zombie Walk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MVezEU8OGI
Denise replying to a comment from JoeCarter / October 25, 2010 at 09:57 am
I think it's a reference to Monty Python's search for the holy Grail.

Diego Maya Medina / October 29, 2010 at 06:15 pm
UUU... so scary
These are my Zombiewalk in Santiago de Chile photos
Please CHECK IT OUT!
wendy / November 3, 2010 at 12:11 am
Awesome photographs, fabulous colour, and one of the zombie's, the one with the squeeze box is a good friend of my daughter's.