Thursday, July 31, 2014Mostly Cloudy 18°C

Notorious: 1011 Lansdowne Ave.

Posted by Jerrold Litwinenko / November 17, 2006

This is the west tower of 1011 Lansdowne Ave., at the NE corner of Lansdowne and Dupont. This is the building that has been in the media a lot in the past.

- Toronto's Worst Landlords (NOW Magazine, March 2006)
- Down and Out at Lansdowne and Dupont (Globe and Mail, Jan 2006)
- Woman falls from 7th floor during police raid (CBC, Feb 2005)

The run-down 23-storey building is notorious for its many problems and past media reports have claimed that as more than half of the units within are vacant or occupied by illegal grow-ops, squatting crack dealers, prostitutes, and homeless.

I called Lansdowne Property Management to inquire about vacancy and ask some general questions about the building. I was told that of the 351 total units, just 6 are available (3 bachelor at $550, 1 one bdrm at $750, and 2 two bdrm at $950). Other units were being "cleaned or repaired" but how many was not known. When I asked about the building's reputation as being unsafe, and laden with drug and prostitution problems, I was told that 1011 Lansdowne did not see these problems to any greater extent than anywhere else.

Has the situation here drastically improved in recent months, or are the representatives at the rental office simply trying to get me to come for a tour in hopes that I'll be the next tenant?

(photo: Jerrold Litwinenko)

Tanja / November 17, 2006 at 05:36 pm
This place keeps changing hands, but works to improve the building have always been short lived. It's infamous around when it comes to garbage places to live. Give any concerned community member in Davenport a day with a ball and crane, and you'd have a new skyline along Dupont.
Naomi / November 18, 2006 at 06:44 pm
Laden, yes. I live directly across of crack corridor and there are fire trucks, medical emergencies and domestic disputes regularly. Personally, I would like to see the building blown up.
ramanan / November 18, 2006 at 07:10 pm
I met someone from the building a couple months back, and he assured a group of us the place is still as scary/dumpy as ever. The city needs to do something about the building, but no one seems to have any idea what.
Roxanne / November 21, 2006 at 11:20 pm
1011 Lansdowne is where my mom lived when i was born, and she ended up suing the landlord for a bunch of violations of her rental agreement, unsafe living conditions etc - 27 YEARS AGO. That place has looong been a shithole, is likely to remain so, and should by rights be razed.
Notimportant / December 10, 2006 at 12:38 am
You have to stop and wonder why people are still smoking and selling crack out of this place when the police have promised to clean up toronto's only crack house with an under ground parking lot. Personal experience tells me that the hookers, dealers and addicts will, long after the bulding is run into the ground, rule the area because of the overwhelming populations prefered lifestyle. The cops can't carry these people away to jail before the next settles in. Like I said before I have personal experience, you do remember "drug nest free fall", it took the cops 3.5 hours to find me, while I was cuffed no less, so after they contain the scene and react so poorly to the events that were unfolding, how do we trust them to handle the recent fiend arousal? These peoiple will never say die until the crack runs out. As amatter of fact that is about the only time they don't make an appearance, at least not at 1011. It seems that the lack of programs to deal with the crack addiction,such as the methadone programs set in place for heroin addicts, is the most likely place to reduce the visibility of this scociety. I don't know mabe we should put up a big wall around 1011 and let the problem stay contained. What do you think?
mgGz / March 3, 2007 at 03:18 pm
ye....i live in tht area n shit like tht n its styll pretty bad...n on like feb 2006...sum girl gotts raped by 3 guys...n then went ta court..
The latest sucker / July 14, 2007 at 03:20 am

Friday the thirteenth lived up to its reputation.

I went to the west tower today and was told nothing of the horrible reputation. I was shown 3 bachelors I found the nicest was on the 22 floor It was renovated had new fake hardwood the walls were painted the bathroom was clean and looked somewhat new and so I paid a $400 deposit and signed a 1 year term. arrggh! I feel that I have somewhat been conned / duped into living in the most unsafe neighborhood and apartment building in Toronto. I now wonder when I am going to be robbed or beaten. I think there is no way for me to get out of this lease. What can I do. They told me that they have security I never saw one camera on any of the floors. They did tell me one thing that they have a lot of drug dealers. This did not really bother me as I grew up in Scarborough and am used to that. One thing they did not tell me is that the upper floors are used by prostitutes . The room I singed a one year lease on is on the top floor. I have been informed by my employers that I should keep anything of value at a friends or in a safe deposit box and to never dress nice and act like I have absolutely no money. I feel that I should get surveillance system for when I am not home but feel this would be of no use anyways. I will be having nothing at the apartment accept an air mattress some food and cleaning supplies. I am going to go as far as to even keep my bank card in my safe deposit box and only withdraw cash from the teller. All I wanted was a safe place with my own bathroom. Now I fear I may loose my life or become homeless because of robberies. what can I do?
The most Humble / August 8, 2007 at 06:51 pm
ye? ye? besides? historically being one of the most toxic neighbourhoods in toronto? due to the industrial warehouses once surrounding the intersection of lansdowne and dupont.? We can now blame crackheads and hookers trying to get by in a world that is as fake as the high these people get when smoking rock.? Lets look at the owners of the bulding and the fact that pets are allowed in the building and the fact that everytime the owner is asked about the building he is in italy? hmmmmm? interesting? I think.? As well why is the rent so darn cheap, well my fellow citizens? have you considered that maybe this is part of the govenments plan.? Containing the drug dealers prostitutes and armed robbers in one area so that they don't effect other areas. other areas that maybe sponsored and supported by the government, lets not forget the capitalist example of a government that we have.? People trying to get by with the sale of drugs is no different then a business suit continuously raping the enviornment with their business endevours.? i myself have lived here 23yrs and know most of these people, although i do not agree with how they choose to live their lives i also know they did not purposely choose this lifestyle but really are just stuck in it.? The only methodone clinic i am aware of is located at dufferin and st.clair, now tell me how do u suppose a crack addict or misserably depressed prostitute is supposed to find hope, strength and the will power to get their? when the money is at 1011 my once beloved humble true and honest home Lansdowne and Dupont. ?
MeGGz / September 20, 2007 at 06:24 pm
ye, i feel tha same way livin round here u noe it's not thata safe when u been livin here for 7 or more years, but once again u learn na live with it around u, i mean im only a teen but im doin good in the area , it improved better, than it's old reputation, but anyweh jus shoutin out to ones who asked questions,. but ye. good luck..
adi / November 8, 2008 at 07:43 pm
i used to live there with my dad, and it was such a horrible experience, and comming home at night was a major nightmare.graffitis on the elevators, the elevators was washroom for some people.they would pee, and spit on the buttons, rats everywhere...... i really do hope the building is demolished, and rebuilt.also the management needs to be changed
sawn / December 12, 2008 at 04:43 pm
Greetings all regarding 1011 landsdowne, I used to work the building some time ago as a rent-a-cop. I can tell you first hand MANAGEMENT WILL LIE THEIR ASSESS OFF TO YOU TO YOUR FACE. All they care about is $$$$$$$$. I can tell you that they allow the most nicest and the most unnicest of people in all of their buildings. Another location is located in the kipling ave finch area. Most of our immigrants are being directed to these buildings on the promise of a better life educated work etc. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry laughing fit. I can also tell you too that as a former rent-a-cop in that hell whole every time we tried to ban arrest etc some piece of garbabe in the place WE GOT SHIT FOR IT BY MANAGEMENT.. hell i still have the reports. just ask for em what i have would blow your mind. Managements stance anytime a death occurs on that site...... well theres another deplorable story for anther day. In short i work else were in a different line of work now but i can tell you this like i said 5 years ago. the only way to fix that place is leave all the trash there that wants to stay in the place stay there, sell off the building and the land. destroy the place and make it a rent geared to income neighborhood for those in the area that want a descent life to enjoy.
Thats my rant folks ENJOY
Girly replying to a comment from Naomi / May 7, 2009 at 10:26 pm
Naomi...I live across the street as well and I agree, the only solution is to blow the building up!! With everyone out of course, but it is a HUGE eyesore for the community.
Well Aware of them! replying to a comment from Girly / December 31, 2009 at 06:50 pm
I totally agree with the people who have comments on getting rid of this shit hole. I lived in the building in 2008. I was like others who were tricked into thinking the building was nice and that the tenants where not whores or crack-heads. This was very troubling, as I am a recovering cocaine addict and was looking for a drug-free neighborhood. I can understand the comment made by "The Most Humble", but in reality drug addicts can persevere through anything to get a fix, so it is not an issue for them to travel to get their methadone. The fact you would try to use location to services for addicts as an excuse to justify the conditions of the building is ridiculous. If they can walk across toronto to meet a crack dealer, they can walk to a clinic also.
That being said, the real issue I have is with the management, the issue is that I had a very special pet die on the property due to a failure to provide screens in the windows in the building by the management. Once that I informed them that I work at a law firm, and that I know that I had grounds to sue them, they offered an out of court deal, where I got 3 months rent free before moving out. The deal went down as expected (I thought), until I found out that they tried to take me to Court and get a judgment in their name. The funny part was how they forged the documents to say that they served me properly (which they did not), and therefor the Judge assumed I was not attending due to ignorance. I think the only ignorant people are the scumbags that run that building, and they are pathetic assholes for tricking people into thinking that the building is a proper living establishment.
I think that the city should be held accountable for what has happened in that building, as well as protect the people from pieces of shit like this management company and others.
I dont care what you think, drug addicts and their activities should never be condemned or used as a reason to inconvenience the rest of society. Segregating these people to certain areas is not the answer. These people should be thrown in jail if they done live there, or have no valid reason for being in the building. The management can enforce this, but they donw want there # 1 tenants, the crack dealers, to move out or complain that their "customers" are being sent away or denied access.
To finish, that building is a complete waste of space, as are the management people who work there.

p.s. I will be taking legal action against them for the illegal judgment.. and too the manager, I'll see your wrinkly old ass in Court!!!!!!!!
Current Resident / March 12, 2010 at 03:28 am
Hey! I am living in the building now. Yeah, I did have problems with some "pets" when I moved in last year and also neighbours partying until 6am, but the people in the management were very nice and they did help me with all that. I honestly hope that more normal people will move in, because I really like the area close to UofT, downtown. I know that many educated imigrants and students like myself also chose this place because of pretty low rent and I hope they will stay! Cheers to hard working and decent people at 1011. I say let's kick the junkies out and reclaim the area!
monique / March 18, 2010 at 01:13 pm
I live in the area and have heard a few things about 1011 Landsdowne. A few years ago, I actually went in to check out a bachelor apt. The apt. was quite nice. They told me how much rent I have to pay and what will be required. But I notice on our way down to the main floor, the people that got into the elevator, had a look of drug dealers/crack heads. I looked at them and made up my mind then and there, that I definitley will not move in there. I'm glad I didn't. Thank you all of you, for the information. I hope other people read these comments before deciding to rent there. Ciao.
beaver / April 4, 2010 at 02:24 pm
Are the hookers any good?
Isa Pardon / April 29, 2010 at 07:27 am
Hello to everybody, I just want to ask anyone of you if you can tell me this place "1011 Lansdowne Ave., Toronto, Ontario." I don't know if this is the place you are talking about. My nephew lived here in "1011 Lansdowne Ave., Apt., # 2107 MGH 4G1." I'm not quite sure if this is the correct address he had given me. My question, is this building, Apartment 2107? can anyone tell me if this is the apartment? I'm so grateful if anyone can tell me where is this apartment 2107 in 1011 Lansdowne Avenue. I'm planning to visit my nephew this coming Christmas. I'm so dissapointed w/ this place if that is true what I have read about the comments of other people. Thank you for the information in advance.
wiibag krintz / May 17, 2010 at 09:36 pm
I used to live inside of this wasteland,in 2001-2004 back then the plumbing was always an issue(backed up toilets, non working washing machines.etc.)The fire alarm went off EVERY DAY, The elevators were full of pee, The management was a real pain in the neck and during the blackout of 2003 there was no generator back up power. In 2009 of april there has finnaly been comformation of tearing it down and making it a condo.
wiibag krintz replying to a comment from Isa Pardon / May 17, 2010 at 09:37 pm
this unfortuantly is the notrious building you read on all the comments. My advice get a Bodygaurd while visitng
missing person / May 27, 2010 at 09:37 am
I have a friend there,she's an immigrant in Canada before she lived there in 1011 lansdowne Ave., but now she move already in another apartment.I've already lost my contact to her bec. we also moved in Sydney Australia. We are planning to spend a vacation there in Canada& i would like to see & visit her, Is there anyone, out there can help &tell me an information of how can I search her whereabouts?Can I get an information w/ the Police station in canada for immigrant or maybe in Embassy? Can they give me the informations where she lived?? I appreciate it so much if somebody can help me or advice me of what we should do. I just hope someone can give me an advice of searching a missing person. Thank you in advance if someone could give me an information.
corrie / September 17, 2010 at 11:19 am
i lived in 1011 from just after 9/11, until...oh shit...2008? i didnt pay one dime of rent!!!!! the WHOLE TIME!!!! let me tell you somthin, they will try to get actual rent paying tenants, but the empties and apt's with squatters in them are used to launder money. it's that simple. the managment keeps changing hands, records of who paid what get lost, they have had crack head supers and managment in there, numerous dead bodies. it's like freddy krueger land.....im not even kidding. people who are clean and sober walk in, crack heads walk out, i have seen it hundreds of times. once "the building" gets it's grip on you, your done.
hughman / July 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm
i live here and can t afford too move so i make sure the crack heads know i m the kinda guy who won t back down. i have never lived in a place where i couldn t make friends but in this hole in the wall building there are no people that i would give the time of day too. management has created a place for lo9w income crack heads can do bussiness unseen but when seen by owners or workers of the building they just close their eyes and don t kick out but keep them all in the name of greed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
got dupped? / September 5, 2011 at 07:33 pm
8 months I have been there and I have had rats spoil my whole warddrode and roaches allways greet me atleast 9 times per day after I return every day of the week. Elevators are on slow go no go service and enjoy doing jumping jacks while swingling back and forth like a canery in a cage. Trashy security so called guards. Power towers, 11 cell towers of radiation, diesel train soot polution, train track clanking every our of the mornig, water taste nasty, roaches run fancy, rats and mice getting prancy. rood, mean nasty, Red head english accentslum lord manager should be paing us rent. Run fe you life! I am sick after being there for only 3 months.
phlox / October 8, 2011 at 01:33 pm
When are they ever going to close this building? There's scaffolding up right now as of October 2011, but I don't know if it's a demo or merely renovation. It looks like the red brick is being covered up by this dark grey stuff (insulation, maybe). So much for the crack stacks.

Also, get rid of that frikking Coffee Time!
Roslyn Brown / December 20, 2011 at 02:53 pm
Is this going to take any comments today?
Roslyn Brown / December 20, 2011 at 02:57 pm
This is probably one of the worst buildings in Toronto, and is being covered up with cosmetic repairs. The plumbing is out of date and every day there are serious leaks. The elevators are always breaking down and there have been many entrapments. There are now a lot of people moving in from CAMH with serious mental issues, making it unsafe for the other tenants. Of course, the other tenants don't know about this. There are still drug dealers, hookers roaming the building, even though they now have security guards!
Lynn / December 27, 2011 at 01:29 pm
Anyone considering moving into this building should be aware. Not only do they have problems with cockroaches and rats, they now have an even bigger problem with bedbugs. They're everywhere!!! Also, the elevators are an accident waiting to happen. BEWARE!!!
Troy / January 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm
I have lived at 1011 Lansdowne since April 1 2010. When I viewed the unit on the 19th floor it was in excellent condition. A showpiece. Under the impression that this was the unit I was to occupy when moving in, I agreed to take the apartment. The day I moved in I was informed that I was to be given another, inferior unit. With a hole under the sink, a constant drip in the bathroom and uncountable cockroaches and bedbugs. Being on ODSP due to major health issues, I, like many before me took the apartment due to financial restrictions. What was I to do with all of my furniture on the sidewalk? I, somwhat hesitant, took the apartment and settled in. Over the course of 2009-10 I sat back and observed the attitudes of the management and the tenants, while learning as much as I could about the history of the building. To find a positive description of the Dupont/Lansdowne neighborhood in the archives of Toronto has yet to prove fruitful. The residents, mostly individuals, of 1011 Lansdowne are, for the most part, struggle honestly through the day, relying on the support of one another to maintain a sense of normalcy while under duress from the dismissive attitudes of the management and the city at large. Incidents, some of which I have personally encountered, have led me to a conclusion that the management of 1011 Lansdowne are incapable of creating a atmosphere of community, not the tenants, as the residents/politicians of Toronto have so repeatidly espoused. Yes, there is a drug problem. Yes ther is a prostitution problem. Yes the building is in need of a complete overhaul and yes the management has to be held accountable to the people of Toronto and the tenants of 1011 Lansdowne. But beyond the negative impression that has been bestowed upon the residents of the building, the simple reality of the fact is that the reputation that is imposed on the neighbourhood, because of the building, is home to many diverse and capable individuals. Upon speaking with any number of residents one quickly realizes that they are bright, articulate and willing to create change for the better. All they lack is a belief that the management city will support them. Former residents who criticize the building, and there are many, are convinced that they are justified in the belief that the building should be torn down. That the residents are not woth the time or effort to intigrate into society. The only solution being to remove them from the neighbourhood by any means necessary.
The corner of Dupont and Lansdowne consists of recently build townhouses, six apartment buildings, with another currently being built, a couple of stores, a coffee shop, a men's shelter and a dentist office. The corner in itself is a microcosim of the city of Toronto and the country of Canada as a whole. With a large portion of families, with 50% or more, having children (the largest percentage in Toronto), a large immigrant population where English is being learned as a second language, the working poor, middle class labourers, the unemployable and increasingly well off individuals. With the erecting of a new building on the northwest corner, and the addition of a shopping plaza in the next few years, will continue to create a more diverse and multicultural comunity. All that is lacking is leadership in the neighbourhood. Not politicians who provide lip service at the time of elections, and the dismissal of the neighbourhood in non election years.
The economic investments within the neighbourhood that are currently being embarked upon provides an opportunity for all residents of the Dupont/Lansdown area to come together and work towards the betterment of all living situations in the neighbourhood. And if asked, the residents of 1011 Lansdowne would be more than willing to address the issues that effect them every day. Until this happens, the outside view of the building will always be in stark contrast to the reality of the lives that the individuals at 1011 Lansdowne face. Carrying a sense of shame and worthlessness that has been bestowed upon them for choosing to live in the greatest city in the world. Although ther are few who would have you believe that the residents are not worth the time or effort and are a hopeless cause. To believe this is to believe that a resident of 1011 Lansdowne is not worthy of being treated like a human being. Instead of offering a segratory and dismissive attitude towards the building, perhaps an attitude of compassion and a willingness to correct these misaligned attitudes would create a community worthy of being calling the greatest in the world.
William / January 17, 2012 at 01:40 pm
This is for any contractors contemplating doing any work at 1011 Lansdowne Avenue. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!
There are so many court cases right now with contractors trying to get the money they are owed. Even security. At present, there are six different security companies that have taken 1011 Lansdowne to court and are trying to get paid. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time and money for lawyers. A lot of contractors have just given up trying, which is not right! They now call themselves LPM Management, but don't be fooled. It's still the same terrible management!
Ronald / January 31, 2012 at 02:29 pm
This building is getting worse by the day! The management consists of people who don't know what they're doing. I don't think they've ever worked in a management company before. The landlord is in Montreal (the worst landlord in the city - remember the headline!) and the manager is always at their other building at Kipling and Finch. She's even worse than the other people in the office ... be very careful when dealing with her! They just want to fill up the building and then sell it.
auditorydamage / January 31, 2012 at 02:55 pm
Just noticed this article after seeing the last posted comment show up on the main page. I looked at a bachelor apartment in this joint all the way back in 2004. The elevators were sketchy, someone who I'm guessing was the property manager at the time was in the office screaming into the phone, and the apartment was a cell with a tiny window being hawked for $650 - I found a larger, roomier bachelor apartment in a much better building near King and Jameson for $600 later that day.

Sad to learn nothing has improved.
jenny / April 6, 2012 at 02:10 pm
fuck all of u ive lived @1011 lansdowne 4 15yrs have not have 1 problem security 2/47 cheap rent
jenny replying to a comment from Troy / April 6, 2012 at 02:15 pm
u tell it troy i've lived here scine 2001 i love the building i wouldn't move
jenny replying to a comment from Lynn / April 6, 2012 at 02:17 pm
hello idiot bedbugs r all over t.o get your facts straight
Lynn / April 10, 2012 at 03:03 pm
Replying to a comment from Jenny. Get your facts straight lady ... not all buildings in Toronto have bedbugs. The ones that do have managed to get a good pesticide company and eliminated them. So could 1011 if Management wanted to spend the money.
Maria / June 7, 2012 at 07:54 pm
I wouldn't live there, the landlords are corrupt. I have been minding my own business and all of a sudden I was arrested and charged for calling 9-1-1 36 times when I know I didn't do.
Warmonger / June 9, 2012 at 07:40 pm
I lived there way back in 92-94 ...shit was insane and I'm glad I got out of there ....dead bodies , drugs ,hookers being chased out ... ..and although I had enough and left ... I still have some very fond memories as well and met some great people ..I even watched Getzky cutting Gilmore and getting to stay on while Gilmore had to go for stitches and then LA winning game six in what was the olympic restaurant next door ..grrrrr that pissed me off more then the smell of dead bodies or cockroaches or the giant porcupine sized rat I seen going into a hole in the pavement lolz ...yup ..hey you know what ..it is what you make of it sometimes ..if the city condemns these buildings ....people are just going to have to be forced to live else were ..and there are worse places then this .
123 / July 25, 2012 at 03:26 pm
I am looking to move in to this building, but I do not have a good credit history. Does this mean I will not get the apartment. I lived in another place before, and that's it. So it's not horrible, but it's not great either. Does anyone know?
Buster Wolf replying to a comment from 123 / September 9, 2012 at 04:14 pm
Where did you get the idea that it's "not horrible"? It sounds like a place to be avoided at all costs!
madman / January 4, 2013 at 04:51 pm
The SO CALLED Owner HOB NOB WITH THE security guards who hob nob with the DRUG DEALERS. The SO CALLED security guards gossip all day with "THE Trashy Perpetrators" who are the ones pulling fire alarms on a daily basis after they feel good in with the buddy buddy gossiping security guards enough to the gossip defame and HARASS the tenants and guest of the tenants who don't mix up nor interact with the trash bags and drug dealers of the building.

Security guards, ESPECIALLY THE nosy poke Portuguese security guard who peeks inside peoples apartments and comments in the lobby as to what she sees in peoples private dwellings. The nosy poke not so cleaning staff pose with the broom for show and tell. THE NOT SO SUPERINTENDENT Cant even fix a fan or screw in a light bulb with out blaming the so called low pay for his inadequacy and lazy ass poor attitude. Fire them ALL .including the Owner and racist security guard from India or Packystan.
mff / January 4, 2013 at 04:52 pm
Yea the fat securty guard was fooled by the two kiss asses today at 3 pm when they let in their drug dealing buddy
Tango / February 2, 2013 at 10:18 am
OH my G- i was going to do all my payment and i just feel like checking on the web damn it was a shock. And i am one crazy boy who where brand from in to out Jordan everywhere and my girlfriend nicked Gucci damn i was really in trouble.I am one flashy person thanks guys.
CatWalker / March 11, 2013 at 03:39 pm
I don't live there, but used to live out in the Junction at Keele / Dundas. I am writing now to mention the other menace in the area, just to add to thre previous nasty conditions: these lands have been held by General Electric for about 100 years, and much of the land was contaminated by their production of transformers, leaving massive amounts of carcinogenic PCB's; and now we learn that the building just behind 1011 is GE's uranium fuel processing plant, and that it's been in production for the past 50 years!
Luke / April 14, 2013 at 03:45 pm
I moved into 1011 Lansdowne November 2012. Only after I'd signed the lease did I hear that this place was a crackden hell-hole, which obviously scared the crap-ola out of me. But I moved in anyway and it actually is not bad. I've specifically waited half a year to see how things went but I think I can give a pretty rounded review.

The building received its $5m government funding just before I moved in and so my apartment was freshly renovated. Not to incredible standards—just one coat of paint??—but not the worst either. After I moved in, the lobby also received a modern renovation including a new glass entrance and a new security counter, which is a nice touch.

There are still a few problems here and there: The biggest problem we've encountered so far were the cockroaches. They didn't appear until a month after moving in but boy do they take over quickly! After trying a lot of things I bought P.F. Harris Cockroach Tablets from eBay for about $8 and they worked beautifully! The cockroaches started disappearing almost immediately. It's important to combine them with strong cleanliness — don't leave dirty dishes, don't leave out food, always wipe down counters — and they will go elsewhere. We've never seen any bedbugs while being in our apartment but that could be due to the rooms being cleanly renovated. The building doesn't get window cleaners to come wash the windows, even though I'm sure it wouldn't be that expensive to do it once per year. There's the occasional bad smell, but generally it comes from the lower floors, so I'd recommend living as high as possible if you can. I wouldn't recommend leaving the building at night as there are still some unsavory characters around the Coffee Time next door, sometimes prostitutes do still get let into the building by tenants but I've only seen this happen once at 3am — otherwise you wouldn't notice it.

Saying that, I've never felt unsafe living here with the 24-hr security in the lobby, which is usually staffed by a big black chap, Sheldon! He's incredibly nice, bubbly and everybody seems to like him. Even with the security in the lobby, there are also electronic key tags needed to get into the building.

I had to move away from a great apartment at Bloor Yonge prior to moving here, and I consider myself to have pretty-high standards, but this place is actually quite good for the money I'm paying ($550 to share a 2 BDR with my friend) and while I wouldn't like to live here forever, it's constantly improving and nowhere near as bad as the previous stories written above. It's a decent place for those on a budget who want to live downtown.
madness / June 4, 2013 at 04:32 pm
Hay since I don't linger in the hall way lobby like the kiss ass, stinking gossiping bums & GUILTY fakes; with the fat gullible security guard flirting and gossiping all day does that mean I am not a nice person with intelligence and class.

PS Millions of dollars was wasted on the surface to impress the up coming building prospects. The same trash bags do the same thangs even with the new paint job. After all it's only a paint facade cover.

REMEMBER" It's not the suit it's the man in the suit"
madness replying to a comment from William / June 4, 2013 at 04:45 pm
Is the Jewish racist bitchy woman is that( so called) manager?
She hires trash bags non cleaners and nosy security guards to criminally harass innocent people. Meanwhile the cant clear the stairwell of the smoot on the wall next to the coca roaches doing the Lansdown Management Property stail well climb with me on the months when the elevators are stuck on stuck as usual.

5 million improvement????? sounds like the Manager pinched your pennies instead. Money did not solve the problem. 5million? For what? On what? Looks more like the Manager stole that money with her friends? What improvement?
C.W. / July 21, 2013 at 09:26 am
I recently met someone who just moved into this building (a Bachelor Apartment).
My first impressions were not good. The lobby is your basic entrance with a security presence when you first walk in. That's the only good thing about this building. I think.

The elevator's are very small and constantly dirty. The hallways are even worse. You can hear and smell so many odors as you walk through them. The carpets don't appear to have been changed since 1980. My friends' apartment was EXTREMELY small. The space is only large enough for one person. As a visitor, I felt as though I was in someone's closet. The refrigerator is right next to the pull-out sofa bed. The windows don't open properly and there bathroom fixtures are very old and dated.

This is worse than low income housing and the neighbourhood is very run down and loisy all night long.

Needless to say, I'm no longer dating the person who recently moved in. I couldn't image future visits to his apartment to hang-out.
watever / October 15, 2013 at 03:02 pm
you people are too uptight i lived in the building for 5 years no problem yes rats bugs so what if you wanna see bad living go to new york and 3rd world countries you people bitch too much just because someone isnt kissing your ass or cleaning your hallways canada is one of the most peacful country ive been to because i lived in new york and jamaica and philly you guys dont know what bad living is get outta here cry babies!!!!!!
Louka / December 14, 2013 at 09:53 pm
hey
dis i wanna seh is baskly dat worse bildin in tdot. worse den en plece in scarboro or jane n finch.
k so my babe mumz move in affa we hava kid n shit rite. dey seh dat 1011 b kool now dat $$$ b puten in an shit rite.
well i cum frum malvern, scarboro. n dis plece made me shit meyself hevy. nott cuz it danjrus like i phele gang thret (malvern boii, no thret here) , shit meyself cuz it iz the stinkeus n durties plece u eve b at i tell u b.
u cetch aids or hepc frum dese hoes.
u smell akchual shitt on dese crackheds.
da bugs take it ova.

out.

Greg / February 4, 2014 at 09:21 am
Crackville !
Greg / February 4, 2014 at 09:22 am
Allways was allways will be !
Greg / February 4, 2014 at 09:24 am
Drive by I bet you'll see cops, fire or ambulance.
Lynn / March 10, 2014 at 01:01 pm
I would like to know if there's any truth to the rumor of a fire in the apartment building, last night, March 9, 2014? I didn't see anything when I drove by, but it was early morning on the 10th, when I drove past.
Niko / May 23, 2014 at 08:24 pm
My family lived at 1011 Lansdowne Ave from the 80's - 94. I was born there.

I really don't remember much. My mom has told me stories.

We moved out because some crackhead set fire to the elevator and sent it up to the 18th floor where we lived and our apartment almost caught fire. My mom says that the elevators were always broken, and walking up the stairs to the 18th floor with two small children made her feel very vulnerable.

I can't say that all people that lived/live at 1011 are bad. When my dad was sick a nurse from the hospital would do daily visits. On one occasion a young blonde/blue eyed nurse came to attend to my dad, and all elevators were out of service for repair. She felt very frightened to have to take the stairs, due to the reputation of the building. One of the men hanging in the lobby noticed her, and told her not to be afraid and that he would help her get to her patient, which he did, and he made sure that she made it to her car safely after she was done caring for my dad.

It is unfortunate that everyone who lives in the building has the reputation of only a few. Some who live/lived at 1011 are hardworking people or people who are of low income, and cannot afford to go anywhere else.