Sunday, November 23, 2014Mostly Cloudy 8°C
Arts

Toronto laneway transformed into makeshift art gallery

Posted by Aubrey Jax / July 13, 2014

Flipping PropertiesResidents of Little Portugal who venture down the alley behind Sheridan and Gordon will stumble upon a new design exhibit this summer thanks to Rear View (Projects). Flipping Properties, architect Jimenez Lai (Bureau Spectacular)'s guerrilla-ish art installation of several large-scale, sit-able design works (too large to be furniture, but too small to be houses), opened Friday and will stay up in the dead-end laneway until September 14 (or such is the plan).

At the opening Lai and the CBC/WNYC's Britt Wray gave a muddled run down of the project as a couple of guys buzzed away on a project of their own by a garage nearby (who were asked, as the area became populated with art fans and architecture grads, to cut the noise). The presenters confessed the laneway was employed when the project didn't find gallery space* - yet it was surprising that neither touched on community related issues or ideas for re-use of Toronto's often dead laneways, as David Suzuki's Homegrown Design Challenge winner Tawab Hlimi did with project Carolinian Way.

Still, Flipping Properties hopes locals will "gather and imagine an architecture that can reorient infinitely" (infinitely!), and social commentary or not the install makes for a fun find and an intriguing under-the-radar hang out spot. Bring your next date or walk your dog by to puzzle over space, architect style.

*This is incorrect - I'll blame the noise of the alley with my sincere apologies. "We never sought a gallery. The laneway site was the inspiration for the project and was always our intended location." -Jennifer Davis, Rear View.

Flipping Properties is on until September 14 in the laneway at Sheridan Avenue & Gordon Street (see their map here). The exhibit is free.

Photo: Denise McMullin

Potrzebie / July 13, 2014 at 06:46 am
Where are the gorillas, then? Not invited to their own art show?
Opensource1111 / July 14, 2014 at 03:26 am
Um, it depends on the time of day this was going on, but what exactly gives the organizers of this event the right to ask a another resident to "cut the noise"? That makes me laugh. As a homeowner who frequently engages in DIY projects around the house, I would told them to go screw themselves if they asked me. It's in an alley, not a library.
Mark replying to a comment from Opensource1111 / July 14, 2014 at 04:08 pm
Hopefully they found louder equipment to use. Screw these hipsters and 'artists'. You're in a laneway surrounded by homes. A little noise might occur idiots.
Mark replying to a comment from Opensource1111 / July 14, 2014 at 04:13 pm
Also, the police need to intervene and remove these illegal squatters from people's property.
John / July 14, 2014 at 05:17 pm
Hey Mark, your attitude will forever render you both unsuccessful and unlikeable and it's a shame that you have the opportunity to voice your opinion, ever.
The real Mark / July 14, 2014 at 05:19 pm
Mark,

You are very unlikeable indeed.
Mark replying to a comment from John / July 15, 2014 at 01:38 pm
Fuck you John and you douchbag friends. If I see you and your 'art' in my lane you will be run over.
Greg replying to a comment from Mark / July 15, 2014 at 02:18 pm
Mark the artwork is still in the laneway. Come run it over I can't wait to see what it does to your car. Its on someones PROPERTY in the alley way.

Come on big talker.
MARKY MARK replying to a comment from Mark / July 17, 2014 at 11:04 pm
Mark you are a disgrace to all of the good Marks out there. As Marks go you get an "F". F for foul, failure, f*ckhead and many other words that begin with the letter "F".
Mark My Words / July 18, 2014 at 03:35 pm
Mark,

A dismal human being indeed, your rejection from the thriving art community in Toronto is apparent. Bitterness, anger, and the inability to spell (i.e. douchbag) all make me question why Canada as a sovereign nation allows Mark's with down syndrome to own a computer.

Mark my words, Mark; no matter how many artists and artworks you threaten to run over, there will always be more. Haunting your alleyways, trolling your mind. There's no escape from the community that so rightfully rejected you.

May God have mercy upon your dismal soul.
Mark McGwire / July 18, 2014 at 03:47 pm
Back in the 2003 home run derby, I knocked sluggers like you out of the park for breakfast. Now in my old age, I simply revel in your troll-like nature and wonder just how a person like you could possibly come into being (or, for that matter, whether you & your opinions can be considered a person at all!)

- BIG MAC
Mark Twain / July 19, 2014 at 09:30 am
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

- Me
Mark Hamill / July 19, 2014 at 09:38 am
Not only do I not sense a disturbance in the force... I don't sense a force at all! Obi Wan Kenobi was very explicit in his teachings that the force is something that runs through all things (however dormant it may be) which leads me to the question...

R u serious, bro? I feel like you need someone to snake you an ice cold cruiser and reflect upon your malicious deedz.

May the force be with me, and also with you.
Mark Zuckerberg / July 19, 2014 at 09:43 am
Wow, first I'd just like to say, what great company this comment section had garnered! BIG MAC - huge fan, bro.

Mark (the original) - I have a lot of money - seeing as I don't find it prudent to explicitly insult your character, how's about I pay you an undisclosed sum of money to never comment on a thread of any kind ever again? (You would, of course, be monitored... With our new "app".). I have quite a bit of untapped Capitol and you'd be a great new pet project!
Mark Spitz / July 19, 2014 at 09:46 am
Mark,

Why don't you backstroke the hell up and pool together your resources to ensure that you don't embarrass yourself to Olympic proportions... Again.
The Funky Bunch / July 19, 2014 at 10:16 am
We echo MARKY MARK's earlier comments re: Mark.
The Gospel of Mark / July 19, 2014 at 12:18 pm
Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme.
Matthew, Luke, & John / July 19, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Well that's just your opinion, man.
report / August 12, 2014 at 08:11 pm
I also worry regarding how my life will change being a result of
the bad things that are happening. The other procedure for forex news trading is actually actually analyzing the information. Everybody knows the amount of a discomfort it's to help keep switching
bulbs following they burn out or break.