Monday, September 1, 2014Mostly Cloudy 19°C
Arts

Kensington Market to get new outdoor art fair

Posted by Aubrey Jax / March 17, 2014

Kensington Market Art FairKensington Market's set to get even more eclectic and colourful this summer: the Kensington Market BIA and Pedestrian Sundays are partnering up to start an outdoor art fair series on the last Sunday of each month from May till October. Organizers are encouraging any and all artists to apply with 2D or 3D work; this will be a curated deal, though I'd expect along with the general spirit of the market, "curated" won't have the usual cliched, gallery-esque airs of affectation.

While it's hard to imagine the sights, sounds, and smells of the unique scene that is the bustle of a car-less Sunday in the market, hopefully this news serves to remind that summer will definitely happen, and some brave people believe in the seasons changing so strongly that they're making plans for it (I'm doing the same, mainly by hoarding shorts and florescent tank tops. Don't judge). Artists and artisans have until April 7th to apply for their own 10x10 square foot space .

The Kensington Market art fair will take place May 25, June 29, July 27, August 31, September 28, and October 26 2014.

Photo by Jimmy Lu from the PS Kensington stream

Ryan / March 17, 2014 at 09:50 am
I hope they build a WalMart there while everyone is distracted.
In a drunken stupor / March 17, 2014 at 11:01 am
Over my big fat dead body We'll be closing Kensington market to vehicle traffic. It's getting so you can't drunkenly drive your Escalade in Toronto anymore without running into a free art show, or lefty cyclist or gay pride parade. Shout out to my rexdale posse
Susan Finlay / March 17, 2014 at 11:04 am
What is wrong with you ppl ^ . Go buy your cheap walmart sweat-shop unoriginal disposable crap somewhere else. It's not like there's any shortage of choices for that junk.
tsktsktsk replying to a comment from Susan Finlay / March 17, 2014 at 11:43 am
Yes, because looking like a homeless person from the 60's is far better.
Susan Finlay / March 17, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Lol. Well I don't shop walmart et al and I certainly don't look like a homeless person from the /60's. Kinda like the look though.
I just shop less and buy quality and I support local such as Kensington. Each to his own though. Just my opinion. Peace.
hmm replying to a comment from Susan Finlay / March 17, 2014 at 01:00 pm
sounds like a hippie to me...
Art Lover / March 17, 2014 at 01:33 pm
The uncultured are mean and bored today! Yay for Kensington! Looking forward to hanging!
Mar / March 17, 2014 at 04:55 pm
This is amazing! you have to be a pretty sad sack to shit on this piece of news
Artzila.com / March 17, 2014 at 05:20 pm
This is great news for the neighbourhood. It draws tourists and residents in, who hopefully support the local businesses.
Clair replying to a comment from Ryan / March 18, 2014 at 02:12 am
Learn to keep up to date to news. They opposed Walmart there!
Clair replying to a comment from Ryan / March 18, 2014 at 02:13 am
Learn to keep up to date on news. They opposed building Walmart there
Clair replying to a comment from Mar / March 18, 2014 at 02:16 am
I agree! Keep cars out ART and Cool people in!
Clair replying to a comment from Mar / March 18, 2014 at 02:18 am
What a great idea! Will be like going back when Young St was closed, except for one day!!! Love, peace and pass the pipe Time!
Mike / March 18, 2014 at 03:42 pm
I'm really sick of Toronto pushing forward highly bureaucratic, monetized versions of events which should be working to generate community and provide new opportunities to amateurs. Only 26 artists will be selected by a panel of art jurors out of the entire city and the artists will be charged $100 per day! This is obscene. Who can afford this and who is really going to benefit from this?

In Seoul, South Korea there is a market of over 40 artists (different artists participate depending on the day) and it is only $10 a day to participate without a jury judging your work. The market goes on every Saturday and it is great for locals and tourists to visit and pick up locally made arts and crafts!

I don't think this is Pedestrian Sundays or Kensington Market BIA's fault...it most likely has to do with restrictions put in place by the government.

Lets be more careful about what we consider a successful growth in this city.