Monday, September 1, 2014Partly Cloudy 19°C
Arts

The spirit of Toronto captured on video

Posted by Staff / January 12, 2014

Of TorontoWe're big fans of videos that pay homage to Toronto which is why we couldn't resist posting this video sent to us by local director Gary Samson. Of Toronto, a personal project just released on Vimeo this weekend, is a visual homage to the city. Making cameos are iconic buildings like OCAD, the AGO, Massey Hall and Honest Ed's, the Trinity Bellwoods' tennis courts, the Big Fat Burrito next to Lee's Palace, Lula Lounge, the Horseshoe, the West Toronto railpath, the derelict beauty of Sterling Road, the Japanese busker who plays in front of the Eaton Centre, Toronto alleyways, Chinatown, Kensington Market and a whole lot more.

It's all set to Lover's Spit by Broken Social Scene. Sit back, relax and take a look below.

You can check out more videos from Gary Samson on Vimeo.

Whatever dude / January 12, 2014 at 07:03 pm
Clearly there is no spirit east of Yonge in this City, eh?
Devon / January 12, 2014 at 07:07 pm
Should be titled "Spirit Of Hipster Toronto" instead
Ihop / January 12, 2014 at 07:11 pm
This video reminds me of how much better life is in the summer.
dafuqstonr / January 12, 2014 at 07:11 pm
My exact thoughts. Gorgeous video, but really, nothing east of Yonge? ....
Butternuts / January 12, 2014 at 07:15 pm
5 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. So depressed.
dave / January 12, 2014 at 07:15 pm
always going to be some haters. great video :) made me miss the summer for sure.
Jason replying to a comment from Whatever dude / January 12, 2014 at 07:16 pm
Skateboards aren't the best things to use for long distances, and since this was just a short film, they couldn't show every single neighbourhood in the city and probably decided to stick with the areas they knew and loved. Sorry you are so crushed by the exclusion of the east side of Toronto. I'm fine with the parts of Toronto they showed.

Nice work!
Eric Fallon / January 12, 2014 at 07:17 pm
It's scientifically proven that watching Take This Waltz will give you 3 times the Toronto Boner. Wicked vid tho.
Eric C / January 12, 2014 at 07:17 pm
I like it, anyone east of yonge is a tool anyways
Justin / January 12, 2014 at 07:35 pm
I thoroughly enjoyed this video. Thanks for the post.
Lilia / January 12, 2014 at 07:47 pm
Who goes of east of Yonge?? Who goes east of University even? Nice video!!
Zktxo replying to a comment from Lilia / January 12, 2014 at 07:59 pm
Non-hipster tools like you.
lizzy / January 12, 2014 at 08:11 pm
This was awesome! I really enjoyed it.
The Doctor replying to a comment from Whatever dude / January 12, 2014 at 08:38 pm
Dude, you know all of us hipster goofballs are afraid to go East of Lansdowne, right? Yonge street? That place is like Scarborough...
Beej replying to a comment from Devon / January 12, 2014 at 08:46 pm
Great video! Really well done. I see very few things that capture some of the beautiful scuzziness of Toronto, and this did it.
Beej replying to a comment from Devon / January 12, 2014 at 08:47 pm
To all the haters who are making hilariously boring "hipster" comments, go make your own videos with your own scenes, and quit shitting on this guy's vision and talent.
Howard / January 12, 2014 at 08:47 pm
Beautiful glimpse at a slice of Toronto... the west-side hipster slice. (Although I did notice he crossed Yonge Street once, just long enough to add the Massey Hall sign as a visual.)
Rayanne / January 12, 2014 at 08:50 pm
Beautiful. Well done, creators.

To the commenters: The video is called 'Of Toronto', not 'Spirit of Toronto'. You're mistaking the title of this article for the title of this video. I look at this as one person's daily view of Toronto, not everyone's.
brealy / January 12, 2014 at 08:55 pm
What exactly is hipster about the stuff the guy did? aside from skateboarding. Touring around downtown's westside is not exactly hipster. Going to trinity bellwoods is not hipster, nor going to OCAD... wtf is wrong with you people.
Bob replying to a comment from brealy / January 12, 2014 at 09:23 pm
It's BlogRobFord, people can mock it if they want to, Silly.
MilaCam / January 12, 2014 at 09:27 pm
Love the video. I live in North York more specifically by Yorkdale Mall and I wish it had half the life.
AirplaneStarship / January 12, 2014 at 10:21 pm
We built this city! We built this city on Rock N Rollllll!!!!!!!
Adam / January 12, 2014 at 10:27 pm
Ahh man we need to create a video called hipster slide out. VHS inky at the Drake Gen Store. I have seen so many hipster Dixie rider slide outs in the morn since the ice storm.
Lincoln / January 12, 2014 at 10:28 pm
Man, you east enders can bitch and bitch and bitch. It never fuckin' ends. What you can't seem to do is get off your asses and make your own videos, art, or web sites to pimp your part of town. Don't you get tired of your echo chambers?
StacMac / January 12, 2014 at 11:10 pm
Fuhrealz / January 12, 2014 at 11:44 pm
The spirit of Toronto is a hipster on a skateboard with bad indie rock playing?
Golden / January 13, 2014 at 01:45 am
I was born in Toronto... This video pretty much made me finally decide whether I should stay in Toronto or go to California after I am done University. I am leaving first thing after graduation. The fuck did I just watch?
Nock4Six / January 13, 2014 at 07:07 am
I liked the video. I do think it's sad that there exists this polarity between the east and west sides of the city. We are ALL Torontonians. I live in Leslieville (which I absolutely love) and I love and appreciate certain hoods on the west. I enjoy a day shopping queen west or enjoying a coffee in Roncey or whatever. I find some of the comments on here ridiculously ignorant (and embarrassing if anyone outside of Toronto reads them). The clowns and asshats who can't appreciate every area of this city for its unique qualities should move out.
bm / January 13, 2014 at 08:28 am
Nice video. Nice music. But why is everything shot at the worst possible angle? It should be called west end Toronto construction. Made Toronto look like Detroit.
canuckone / January 13, 2014 at 08:35 am
Very creative clip. Here's a challenge to the other talented folks in the city of Toronto: Go out and produce a unique day in the life video of your part of town. Life is too rich not to share with others.
Adam / January 13, 2014 at 08:59 am
Spirit of a poor, early twenty something, torontonian with limited skateboarding abilities and no reason to go east of yonge because it's full of strollers and funiture stores.
Warren / January 13, 2014 at 09:22 am
To all the peopling crapping on the video, I wish I didn't live in the same city as me.

How hard is it to just enjoy something these days?
Warren replying to a comment from Warren / January 13, 2014 at 09:22 am
And by that I mean "I wish you didn't", of course.
mmmaro replying to a comment from Whatever dude / January 13, 2014 at 09:39 am
no kidding! someone needs to work on the EASTERN SPIRIT OF TORONTO vid
Dmoney replying to a comment from Whatever dude / January 13, 2014 at 09:55 am
lmao, thats exactly what I was thinking
GoCanada replying to a comment from Golden / January 13, 2014 at 10:04 am
Good luck with that....a state with more debt than coastline and price of living that'll have you crying for this city.

You should actually transfer over and leave now rather than leaching off our subsidized education system.

Maybe this video didn't tickle you the way watching an episode of the hills or kardashians does.
Ovid replying to a comment from Fuhrealz / January 13, 2014 at 10:06 am
Make a better one yourself
EH / January 13, 2014 at 10:08 am
After watching this, I realize just how ugly Toronto really is. Yikes!
Elijia / January 13, 2014 at 10:09 am
AFter watching this, I realize just how ugly Toronto actually is. Yikes!
Bleh replying to a comment from mmmaro / January 13, 2014 at 12:10 pm
Or....not. Not all of us are as Narcissistic as the rest of you.
Jon / January 13, 2014 at 12:40 pm
Nice video but its representing about 2 months of 12. Where is the snow, where is the unbearable humidity, the torrential rain, where is the ice? THAT is the spirit of TO. TO is a great city, but depicting it as a comfortable, liveable climate is misplaced. It gives me a sense of what I'm missing the other 10 months of the year!
Rupert / January 13, 2014 at 02:49 pm
It captures one day. How is that so difficult to comprehend.
jon replying to a comment from Rupert / January 13, 2014 at 04:17 pm
Yes, ecause its claiming to capture the spirit of the city. And a picture perfect day in late spring / early fall is not the norm. If you want to capture spirit, how about shovelling, streaming noses, the layers of clothing to get out the house etc. Maybe if it was titled 'Spirit of a beautiful summer day in Toronto' id be OK with it. Or some fine print that say 'Valid for 14 days of the year only'. It makes TO seem like its trying to be something it will never be.
Matt / January 14, 2014 at 12:39 pm
2013 Kids in the Hall opening?
Laurence / January 14, 2014 at 03:14 pm
The video isn't available anymore :(
Fred / January 14, 2014 at 10:12 pm
Please upload the video back!
Bianca / January 15, 2014 at 05:18 pm
why is this deleted?!
Carlo Ammendolia / January 16, 2014 at 11:11 pm
Dammit.

Where did that video go? I wanted to watch it again. I'm suspect if this is some type of reverse marketing strategy.

Dope video – bring it back!
SS / February 28, 2014 at 05:22 pm
Speaking of the east end being misrepresented, we're raising funds to revamp the River Street Skatepark! It is a beautiful sheltered space that can be used in much more effective ways to inspire and bring together our skateboarding community. Please support and spread the word! http://www.gofundme.com/76yzd4