Tuesday, July 29, 2014Partly Cloudy 15°C
Arts

15 photos of the stunning Ai Weiwei exhibit at the AGO

Posted by Derek Flack / August 15, 2013

Ai Weiwei AGO TorontoOpening Saturday, August 17, Ai Weiwei's According to What? is one of the most spectacular and moving exhibits the AGO has played host to in recent memory. Composed of installations, sculptures, photographs and video, the sprawling show focuses heavily on the 56-year old artist's more recent work, which challenges Chinese government practices and ruminates on the victims of a 2008 earthquake in Sichuan province that claimed the lives of 90,000 people. Both emotionally draining and politically challenging, the exhibition is a must-attend for anyone with even a passing interest in contemporary art.

Here's a glimpse of Ai Weiwei's According to What? at the AGO.

chris / August 15, 2013 at 01:35 pm
Parallel bars, not monkey bars.
Derek replying to a comment from chris / August 16, 2013 at 01:27 am
Thanks. Something seemed wrong about that descriptor.
Fig / August 16, 2013 at 06:50 am
I saw this exhibit in Washington last November. It was the moving installation I've ever seen. I've been looking forward to seeing it again at the AGO. Great photos Derek.
Jennifer Athena / August 18, 2013 at 11:33 am
Hi,
I love your pictures!!!!
I was wondering if regular visitors can take some pictures too.

Thx.
Cliff S replying to a comment from Jennifer Athena / August 19, 2013 at 12:09 pm
Jennifer, I was there on Saturday - Derek's pictures capture the essential bits of the exhibition, it's definitely worth a visit.
Toolus / August 23, 2013 at 11:06 am
I actually didn't find this exhibit stunning at all. The art seems to be lost in the fact that the exhibit is largely based around Wei Wei's cult personality rather than the pieces. It's steeped in politics, and valid ones at that, but from an artistic perspective it really falls flat. I sound like I'm just some jaded schmuck, but if you want to see something deeply visually stimulating you may be disappointed. Happy that some seem to have enjoyed it though!