Wednesday, April 23, 2014Clear 5°C
Arts

Photos of the 2011 No Pants Subway Ride

Posted by Derek Flack / January 10, 2011

No Pants Subway Ride Toronto 2011The 2011 Toronto No Pants Subway Ride took place Sunday afternoon, much to the delight and horror of TTC riders across the system (little did they know, the really scary thing would happen today). Organized by Improv in Toronto, this was the fourth edition of the vent, which, judging by the photos, looks like it had even better attendance than in years past.

Participants gathered at Queen's Park at 3 p.m. before heading over to Museum Station where they entered the subway system fully clothed. After boarding trains in smaller groups, the pants eventually came off. But rather than advertise the oddity of their optional clothing choice, the pant-less were given the following instructions: "Act you normally would. You do not know any of the other pantless riders. If questioned, tell folks that you forgot to wear pants and yes you are a little cold. Insist that it is a coincidence that others also forgot their pants. Be nice and friendly and normal."

Improv, indeed. Here's how it went down. Lead photo by Henry Chan.

20110110-no_pants_chan_train.jpg. Also by Henry Chan.

20110110-no_pants_photog_allan.jpgPhoto by Alan Young.

20110110-no_pants_vitamin_reading.jpgPhoto by vitaminwater canada

20110110-no_pants_vitamin_guitar.jpgAlso by vitaminwater canada.

20110110-no_pants_vitaminwater_platform.jpgAnd one more from vitaminwater canada.

20110110-no_pants_wonga_ponga.jpgPhoto by WongaPonga.

20110110-no-Pants_window_wonga.jpgAlso by WongaPonga.

20110110-no_pant_last.jpgPhoto by Shaun Osborne.

bob / January 10, 2011 at 01:42 pm
I wish I knew about it because then I can freely be a perv and not get in trouble.
qwerty / January 10, 2011 at 01:46 pm
Any other day, the guy in the third photo would get totally bitch slapped.
cultureshot / January 10, 2011 at 02:05 pm
It would be nice if they tied some sort of activism to the No Pants Subway ride (like say, protesting fare increases with service cuts, or promoting Transit City).

Right now it's just pervy dudes getting excited about girls taking off their clothes... it would still be that I guess, but with purpose!
J / January 10, 2011 at 02:06 pm
Some ass cheeks are just NOT meant to be seen!
Hamish Grant / January 10, 2011 at 02:10 pm
I do like the photo behind the photo of people's behinds being photographed from behind by a photographer named Henry Chan by the photographer Alan Young.
steve / January 10, 2011 at 02:10 pm
no thongs??
Suzie Q / January 10, 2011 at 02:20 pm
if they could make this frequent i'd be okay with the fare increase
torque / January 10, 2011 at 02:21 pm
I totally teabagged my seat yesterday.
Greg / January 10, 2011 at 03:03 pm
How was one able to find about this? I would have gotten involved for sure.
EM / January 10, 2011 at 03:08 pm
Not a good day for obsessively germ-phobic TTC patrons!
Welshgrrl / January 10, 2011 at 03:10 pm
I'm not sure what's skeevier - all of the less than toned bum cheeks hanging out, or adult males photographing somewhat younger females' crotches on the TTC ...
Marion Cobretti / January 10, 2011 at 03:12 pm
Yowza. I can't believe I'm saying this, but most those ladies need to put their pants back on, ASAP.
David Pylyp / January 10, 2011 at 03:13 pm
What a great event for Toronto! Kudo's to eeveryone who participated! Thank you

It's the events like this that make Toronto a great City.

David Pylyp
agentsmith / January 10, 2011 at 03:16 pm
It's the nude beach paradox... most of the people willing to be seen in public with their pants off are people who no one wants to see with their pants off.
Darcy McGee / January 10, 2011 at 03:39 pm
Holy crap! Those girls have no pants on!

Oh wait....I get it. That's the POINT.
Henry Chan / January 10, 2011 at 03:40 pm
I am the photographer, and I take offense to anyone calling me or most others there a pervert. I go to events like this to take photos for fun, and I aim to tell a story each time I do so. I certainly don't focus my attention on girls only. By the way, I asked the girls in the photo if they wouldn't mind standing there for a shot as I waited for a train to come; they obliged. There were other participants who asked me not to photograph them, and I obliged. I submitted my photo to the blogTO Flickr pool so others can see. No harm, no foul.
Derek replying to a comment from Henry Chan / January 10, 2011 at 03:46 pm
Thanks for that, Henry -- and thanks for adding your photos to the pool. I get the sense that some of the people commenting here don't understand that this event is all about spectacle. Great shots!
Hamish Grant / January 10, 2011 at 03:54 pm
It's true, you'd have to be an idiot to think you wouldn't be photographed while taking transit in your underwear, as part of an event that explicitly calls for photographs to be taken of people involved in the event (see http://improveverywhere.com/2011/01/09/no-pants-2011-global-reports/ ) ... Hipster events like this are pretty much defined by the social media that surround them. Both in the initial organization of the event and the posting of photos and blogs afterward so you can see yourself and your friends. There are always almost as many photographers/videographers as there are participants. See the pillow fight/zombie walk/bubble battle/capture the flag/naked bikeride/kiss-a-thon/etc etc photos for more examples. To photograph these events is not perversion, it's the expected norm. In this specific case, there is an obvious titillation/exhibitionism/voyeurism aspect - it's not the only aspect, but it's there. A lot of the people who participate are people who are completely comfortable showing off so this is just another day without pants. Some have never done anything like this before and are excited to try it for the first time. Others are trying to make some kind of statement about expectations and proper dress during winter. Still others just forgot to put pants on before they left the house. What it all comes down to is that this is an event that was -meant- to be photographed. So don't hate on the photographers who take part. After all, the event wouldn't exist without them.
Matt / January 10, 2011 at 04:14 pm
The women are braver than than the men here--they're all wearing legit underwear, while the men are all wearing far less revealing boxers.
Bubba / January 10, 2011 at 04:16 pm
This is awesome! I love Toronto!
TorontoSucks / January 10, 2011 at 04:38 pm
Oh Toronto. Keep trying. This city is so desperate for attention.
TheRealJohnson replying to a comment from TorontoSucks / January 10, 2011 at 04:53 pm
Said the commenter reading the website dedicated to Toronto...Why not go read BlogMississauga if you don't like it?
jon replying to a comment from TorontoSucks / January 10, 2011 at 05:11 pm
You idiot. This took place in 50 regions across 24 countries. Why don't you do a little research before you open your north of Hwy 7 trap?
Mike W replying to a comment from jon / January 10, 2011 at 05:20 pm
It's funny you lash out and immediately assume the idiot is "north of Hwy 7". Way to show your own smarts.
The Cobra replying to a comment from Mike W / January 10, 2011 at 05:34 pm
I have a feeling very few Blog TO readers live north of 7. Anyway, this "event", regardless of how many cities participated, is like all organized "wackiness" ... strictly for squarez.
Mike W replying to a comment from The Cobra / January 10, 2011 at 05:43 pm
I don't see how that corresponds to trolls/idiots being likely to come from that area then.

In fact if less commenters are from there, it's less likely the offender is, isn't it?
TorontoSucks replying to a comment from jon / January 10, 2011 at 06:37 pm
oooh, I have to do research to comment on a stupid event. Even if it's world wide, it doesn't change the fact that Toronto is a mediocre and a miserable city. This city has no identity, no leadership and is really bland and boring. Not to mention your own idiocy for assuming that I live somewhere in this ugly city.
The Cobra replying to a comment from TorontoSucks / January 10, 2011 at 06:53 pm
"This ugly city". That applies that you are here. If you said "that city", it would be different, but you didn't. Either you live here, are currently visiting or your grammar sucks. Suspect. Also, not mad that you hate Toronto, but why are you on this blog if you do? Research on thine enemy? You're right on one thing - this event is effing lame.
The Cobra replying to a comment from TorontoSucks / January 10, 2011 at 06:54 pm
BAH. Implies. Not applies. Apparently my grammar sucks too. Don't focus your hate filled reply on that, pls.
Sandman / January 10, 2011 at 07:21 pm
Ewwwwww ... how can one sit in those seats in underwear on???
I'm totally skeeved out!!

I won't have to dip my arse in rubbing alcohol for a week!!!
Pilar replying to a comment from TorontoSucks / January 10, 2011 at 09:23 pm
Wow, TorontoSucks! The fact that you live your sorry pathetic life by insulting Toronto just covers your insecurity and your own desparate attempt for attention. I bet you have an incredibly tiny penis. I feel sorry for you.
Kenny / January 10, 2011 at 10:08 pm
Obvious Troll Is Obvious.

How is this No-Pants day any different from a normal summer day? Hell, I've seen LESS clothing in the summer!

Oh wait... I see what I did there.

(See what I did there?)

Meme galore!
ROB FORD / January 10, 2011 at 11:08 pm
I'd totally jerk off to this.
Father O'Lunacy / January 11, 2011 at 03:37 am
@Rob Ford

Was the the bloke in the stripped pants Rob?
Bill replying to a comment from Henry Chan / January 11, 2011 at 06:34 am
Pervert...
mr. hood / January 11, 2011 at 07:10 am
cheers to you henry, and to you hamish, for taking photos and uploading to the blogto photopool..

as for those calling out henry as a pervert without getting your facts straight and understanding in what context the photos were taken is a bit shameful..

would you call a news agency such as city tv or cbc or newspaper perverted if they covered a story like this? chances are no..

this event didn't harm anyone, and if it did offend someone then perhaps the organizers can get the message out in advance for next time as to alert those not wanting to see this..

people need to relax a bit, funny how everyone always takes a blogto column and gets stabby towards each other by the 3rd comment!
AmH / January 11, 2011 at 09:50 am
Stuff white people like...zombie walks...flash mobs...annnnnnnnnnnnnd...no pants day! Please stop.
ROB replying to a comment from AmH / January 11, 2011 at 10:21 am
Absolutely, it's the fault of the evil white people. Even the black person taking part in the 4th photo is secretly caucasian.
ROB FORD replying to a comment from Father O'Lunacy / January 11, 2011 at 10:27 am
@Father,cute chicks aside all of these people are Transit riding pinkos. The guy in the stripped pants is a fashion retarded pervert who watches the Big Bang Theory religiously.
Henry Chan / January 11, 2011 at 12:38 pm
Thanks for the support Derek, Hamish and Mr. Hood.

I would like to add that the event was covered on CityTV and the Toronto Star this year. See the link on the Star's site at: http://www.thestar.com/photos/article/918970--photos-the-no-pants-subway-ride
Barbara replying to a comment from Greg / January 11, 2011 at 01:05 pm
Join their Facebook group - just search Improv in Toronto. They send messages to all members about their events and that way you can participate.
Steve N Allen / January 11, 2011 at 10:18 pm
They really should pick a warmer month to do this. Brrr. Chilly bits.
Father O'Lunacy replying to a comment from ROB FORD / January 12, 2011 at 07:23 am
@Rob Ford - you're wanking all over you computer and stripping pants is the pervert??!

Im praying for you my son. :)
Sean / January 14, 2011 at 04:53 pm
They could would have worn clean underwear...
Preach replying to a comment from cultureshot / October 26, 2012 at 03:57 am
you sound jealous and bitter like a typical boring Torontonian or a angry lesbian with penis envy (You wish you were a real guy instead of a imposter) Go criticize the real pervs at the homosexual parade if you wanna brave up to reality you utopian creep. Sandusky of Pen State University must be okay with you, and your so called norm eh?

Chillax, stop being a oppressive, non progressive Canadian and go find a real tree to chop down instead of grasping at straws and externalizing and embellishing and hating the real cool free Canadians in innocent pure NATURAL FUN you FRAUD! No wonder I prefer NY instead.
Preach replying to a comment from ROB / October 26, 2012 at 04:00 am
you're a funny man!
Preach replying to a comment from Welshgrrl / October 26, 2012 at 04:09 am
You sound like you prefer homosexual parade. No wonder you take offense to truth and natural reactions like a guy seeing a healthy girl. You brainwashed jealous imposter man wanna be fake. get a life instead of trying to make men with women feel embraced just because your misery wants company
Sir Mix ALOT replying to a comment from steve / October 26, 2012 at 05:16 am
I like big buts and I can not lie.

Sir Mix Alot

Baby Got Back
cellulite treatment / June 3, 2013 at 11:29 am
Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; many of us have developed some nice procedures and we are
looking to exchange methods with other folks, please shoot me an email if interested.
FUN LOOKIE replying to a comment from Matt / January 8, 2014 at 10:39 pm
I know the girls seem more fun and cool than the guys wearing the boxer (SHORTS). I and straight with good visual taste. So next time my fellow guys wear skimpier underwear instead of basketball shorts biger than a napkin please . It spoiles the fun effect and kills the shock and aww jilt of things for the viewer. WEAR UNDER WEAR GUYS. If I find this event I'll show you how its done! FE REAL! Matt makes sense.
Super Freak Rick James replying to a comment from Matt / January 8, 2014 at 10:45 pm
whats the 2014 date, time and location. Gotta start squats tomorow morning . I ont wanto shame my underwears! These are the good times!