Gotta Sing, Gotta Dance - More Mega-Musicals
Musicals may not be seen as 'high-art', but they sure are popular.
Yesterday it was announced that a new theatre company, specializing in 'blockbuster' musicals, is setting up shop in Toronto. No, Garth Drabinsky isn't coming back to try again, this is a brand new company started by Aubrey Dan called Dancap Productions Inc.
Dancap has a season lined up that really does feature the 'hot ticket' musicals that are out there. The line up for the upcoming season is:
- The Drowsy Chaperone, Sept 19 - Oct 14, 2007 (Which is in fact, a Canadian show)
- The 25th Putnam County Spelling Bee, Jan 29 - Feb 10, 2008
- 3 Mo' Divas, March 4 - 16, 2008
- My Fair Lady, May 8 - 31, 2008
- Avenue Q, July 29 - Aug 31, 2008 (featuring the ever popular song "The Internet is for Porn" the clip from the show website is short, the one set to characters from World of Warcraft that made the rounds is complete, and very catchy)
- Jersey Boys, details still to be confirmed
The truth is having these kind of top billed shows playing in Toronto, in two very cool theatres (The Elgin and Winter garden) is bound to bring some more tourists to the city, which is a good thing, right?
Prices will be steep though, there don't seem to be individual ticket prices listed on the site, only packages, a package of 3 shows seems to be running from $175 - $300 depending on the day and where you sit. Since this is the big discount package I'd say it's safe to assume you're not going to be able to get into one of these blockbuster musicals for less than $75.
Hopefully, the really annoying website is not a sign of things to come. Only time will tell.
Photo of Original Broadway Cast of The Drowsy Chaperone by Joan Marcus
Join the conversation Load comments