Gotta love Craigslist for having some of the most vague rental listings out there. This one, in particular has me guessing even the most rudimentary requirements, such as:
- Its exact location. They just give you an intersection instead of an actual address. Very helpful.
- Where the stove went. There’s a hood fan but no actual stove or oven. Which if I was a detective (I’m not) would leave me to believe there once was a stove but for some reason it has been removed... Did the previous tenant lose stove/oven privileges?
- If the bathroom has a sink to wash your hands and/or brush your teeth. The listing says "1Br/0Ba" which makes me believe it might not actually have a sink…
- If the bathroom is an actual room or just a space that has a door in front of it.
- The size of bed that might fit in this space. My guess is single or a camping mattress.
- How exactly that shower curtain is hung up and more importantly if it will impede the bathroom door shutting process.
But what I do know about this apartment from the listing is:
- It is a basement apartment. A really bad one at that.
- The entire floor is tile and, as we’ve previously discussed, this is problematic for a number of reasons.
- The streetcar stop is one minute away. Hard to verify for certain though, as they won't give me an address.
- Internet is included. This is literally the only thing this place has going for it.
- This apartment is only suitable for “responsible working adults/students”... But I'm pretty sure anyone who is actually responsible will be responsible enough not to rent this sketchy place for that much money.
Some key questions I have for the landlord:
- If one proves they are a responsible adult/student, may they have the stove back?
- What speed of internet is provided? Also is there a data limit? Because the only thing that would make this place worth $1,200 a month would be if there’s 5G internet.
- If I have a guest over and go to the bathroom, does it make a difference, sound-wise, if I close the door? From what I can see there's going to be a good foot gap between the ceiling and the door... so honestly, why bother?
- Is the clothing rack included?
- Follow up question, if the clothing rack is not included, where does one hang a coat or literally any clothing item?
- Address: Somewhere undetermined near Spadina Ave & Dundas St. W
- Type: Basement
- Rent:$1,200/ month
- Furnished? Maybe a clothing rack if you ask nicely.
- Utilities: Yes
- Air conditioning? Definitely not
- Bedrooms: 0
- Bathrooms: 1 – sink may or may not be included
- Parking: No
- Laundry? Coin
- Outdoor space? No
- Pet friendly? No
"Responsible working adults/students."
Move On If
You are not responsible, an adult, working, a student or some combination of the aforementioned.