J Dilla Tribute with The Dirty B-Sides
The Dirty B-Sides have been a go-to live showcasing band for local independent, major label, Grammy-winning, and international artists visiting Toronto since 2015, building a reputation for running cutthroat hip-hop cyphers till 4am in Kensington Market. They were also part-owners of live hip-hop and R&B music venue and restaurant, Friday Roots, a Black and POC-owned and operated space lost to the pandemic.
The Dirty B-Sides are hosting a throwback indoor block party at a new venue space dedicated to Black and POC arts workers, It's Ok* Studios, located at 468 Queen Street (formerly SVP Sports). Sunday Feb 26th from 6-10pm will be a tribute night to the late great J Dilla, a legendary producer from Detroit with a vision that has inspired generations of musicians and hip-hop culture overall.
Along with cyphers over Dilla beats performed live with the 7-piece band, familiar artists to the B-Sides family will be showcasing spotlights. Some of the spotlights include:
• Matt Somber (alternative rap, hot off his Out The Box feature at The Drake Underground)
• Jusso (neo-soul and of Toronto hip-hop royalty)
• Kelson Fredericks (winner of 2019 TD Toronto Jazz Festival Rising Star Grand Prize with The Dirty B-Sides)
• Sydanie (2019 Polaris longlist artist)
• and returning from Africa, hip-hop artist and producer Spek Won
Special Guest DJs will be announced the week of on social media...
Advanced discount tickets on sale now:
For more information, @wethebsides on Instagram & Facebok.