Are you ready for Winterlicious?
Winterlicious, returns January 28 to February 8, showcasing many of the city's great resto's. Although high-end culinary delights like Susur, Perigee and George are not on the list - it still is a chance for you to try many restaurants you may not have heard of or have never bothered to go to.
After taking a look at many of the set menus, lamb and salmon dishes dominate most of the 130 participating restaurant's offerings. If you are a vegetarian, you do have 60+ restaurants to choose from, unfortunately many of those dishes include pasta.
All winterlicious restaurants are offering three-course prix fixe menus at $15 or $20 for lunch and $25 or $35 for dinner. Many other restaurants around the city offer similar deals but may not be 'taking part' with the City of Toronto...you should look out for those gems. (Last year, Mimosa had listed a prix fix menu for $25 that same week, but were not featured on the list of restaurants)
I have participated in both the summerlicious and winterlicious since its inception. I have to admit that I would never judge a restaurant by my experience during this promotion. The service tends to be too busy and rushed. Also, rumor has it that this is the time the head chef takes off for vacation, leaving its assistant chefs to churn out the dishes.
What looks good to me?
1. The Corner House
3. Rosedale Diner
5. Thuet Bistro
What resto's do I think will sellout fast?
3. Auberge du Pommier
5. Crush Wine Bar
Tips & Tricks to get you through Winterlicious:
1. Book early...really early to get into the resto of your choice.
2. Resy's at a later hour will give you a better experience because you won't be as rushed.
3. Read the menus. There are some great resto's taking part, but the menu offerings may not look as great.
4. Go to the resto website and check out the drink list. You might think you are heading into a cheap dinner, but add on that $50 bottle of vino and you may be shocked.
5. Be prepared to know that if you don't show up for a reservation - they may charge a set amount (most will tell you this when you book).
PS. American Express cardmembers can make early reservations on January 9 and 10.
(Photo courtesy of muggets. Taken during Winterlicious 2006)
Join the conversation Load comments