Tuesday, September 23, 2014Partly Cloudy 9°C
Tech

TasteAway enters the Toronto restaurant delivery space

Posted by Tim / December 22, 2012

TasteawayOver the past couple of years there's been heated competition in the online restaurant delivery space in Toronto. Two main competitors - Just Eat and OrderIt - have been blanketing the city, signing up restaurants to help them reach hungry diners everywhere. Now, there's a new player in town. TasteAway launched earlier this fall and is starting to create some inroads with restaurants such as Amaya Express, Thai Room and Ginger among its current crop of customers.

Earlier this week I connected with founder Constantine Daicos who told me he's been in the industry for three years after stating a site called MenuBaby in Oakville. What he hopes to create with TasteAway is (in his words) a better, more visual marketplace for customers to..."eat with their eyes" and he wants to offer restaurant customers better tools than the competition.

For now, better tools mean restaurants can set delivery zones that don't force them into servicing an entire postal-code, the ability to accept orders from their own website without paying a high commission and the ability to update their own menu whenever they feel like it. They're also mobile-friendly right out of the box with native apps launching in the new year.

What do you think? Will you give TasteAway a try? Do you think they can succeed in what is already a hotly-contested market?

M. Bison / December 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm
No they will not succeed.
Lauren / December 22, 2012 at 01:13 pm
I'm not sure tasteaway will do well... Just eat has thousands of restaurants signed up across Canada and have tons of happy customers (myself included)! I think tasteaway will have to do something very interesting and different to somehow come out on top!
Vaq / December 22, 2012 at 02:08 pm
>i don't know anything about how internet business works

if they can pick up businesses, they'll last as long as the competition.
jer / December 22, 2012 at 07:27 pm
Well, who would have thought that a company would beat Yahoo in search engine market years ago. I am sure there is room for improvement on the current model, wish them luck, competition is always good for innovation!
artvis / December 23, 2012 at 12:34 am
I'm a diehard Just-Eat user but I've often thought their interface is severely outdated design-wise (and some restaurants have clearly used finicky workarounds to get around their technological limitations), and that they'd either have to modernize and become more slick, visual and app-like or someone else would.

It's a scary market because it's all about convenience and it's hard to build brand loyalty. If someone can do it more conveniently than you, they'll win. So if this startup can aggregate more restaurants and make it more user-friendly, they can crush Just-Eat. I love Just-Eat because of the service it offers, not the brand itself - if a different service has a restaurant I like, I'd just as happily order from them.

I will say one thing however - I've consistently had better-than-expected service from Just-Eat's online chat support. Like when a Greek restaurant I ordered from botched a transaction, they got the refund in order within minutes without any complicated crap. They talk like real, smart human beings instead of helpless drones hitting copy-paste. I hope TasteAway does the same.
Brandon Routhe / January 4, 2013 at 03:36 pm
If they have passion and conviction for what they're doing, then yes, I believe they can and will succeed in the new space. Good luck to them!
SlickRick / January 10, 2013 at 10:20 pm
Competition is great but it's pretty hard to beat a winning formula!
Outdated you mentioned? What are you expecting, lot's of colors, fancy graphics? Pictures of generic food?
I've been a die hard just-eat.ca user and I simply love how easy and simple the formula is! My teenagers are starting to use it, we love the fact that it loads quickly, I don't have to look through some fake/generic pictures of a meal that once I order won't look remotely close to the pic!!!
Good Luck Taste Away, you copied Groupon and couldn't beat them, now you are playing in Just-Eat.ca backyard, what next should Apple be worried?
Tim / January 14, 2013 at 02:07 pm
Competition is good. The more the better for us customers.

Check the new food delivery and take out website www.ueat.ca Very similar to JE, but I found it easier to order.
Tiffany / January 21, 2013 at 04:39 pm
I think TasteAway can do well in the marketplace. As a customer, I like to see what I'm about to eat and their pictures are actual food from the restaurants...there's nothing fake about it at all. I've ordered from them and so far, their customer service is great. I can't wait until this site gets bigger in the T.O market!!
Corina / January 28, 2013 at 05:14 pm
Thought I'd weigh in since I work with Orderit.ca ... it's always good to see healthy competition! We have heard that TasteAway has had to remove some of its stickers, FYI... (always a good idea to get restaurant owner's explicit permission; something Orderit strongly believes in).

For those of you who enjoy Restaurant Delivery and are interested, here's a few of the key differences in services: Orderit provides their own delivery fleet for restaurants without delivery drivers, which means some unique options and a higher degree of quality control; Orderit also offers exclusive discounts via Facebook or their newsletter which results in a lower cost as compared to other services; and finally - the main reason I joined Orderit - Orderit.ca is Canadian created, owned and operated with 15 years of experience.

Personally, I'll always go with the restaurant I love for the lowest price -- competition drives this offering! :)
Corina replying to a comment from Tiffany / January 28, 2013 at 05:15 pm
I 100% agree with being able to see what you eat... the new Orderit website (launching in Feb-March) not only offers photos of the restaurant's food, but also reviews and photos from users so you can get a REALLY good sense of what you're about to order. Good call... photos are everything.
Jesse / May 12, 2013 at 06:56 pm
Thank god I didn't pay on the website and ticked "pay in cash"!
Jesse / May 12, 2013 at 06:57 pm
Basically they lost my order after I waited 10 minutes for them to "confirm" it. Apparently my order was successful on the tasteaway website, but the restaurant never even received it.
Jean-Michel / September 22, 2013 at 10:38 am
Personally i find TasteAway's interface much easier and much more user friendly than Just Eat. The fact i can see pictures of what i'm about to order is great.
I made an order a few days ago and it was perfect, i paid online, received my food on time.
I recommend it.
para / February 11, 2014 at 03:04 pm
I have been ordering on Tasteaway.com and am very impressed. Waaay better than Orderit.ca (haven't used justeat) from what i saw - restaurants offer no or less delivery charge compared to Orderit and offers really good promo codes. Very user-friendly site as well. btw the website applies the promo code on the TOTAL ie. not the subtotal! So great discount, no delivery, efficient service ... I recommend it !! Have used up to 40% discount that they offered ! I dont like calling the restaurant directly cos it's easier ordering online. the only time I would do that is if there is a delivery charge which restaurants will sometimes ask for on tasteaway like sites but not if you call them directly but the restaurants don't usually offer discounts which Tasteaway does (20% off over a weekend is common!). Plus you have a better chance at resolution when ordering from Tasteaway. Just remember order is confirmed by email 15 min later and when the restaurant declines the order due to whatever issue you won't find out till later i.e. hopefully 15 min. But don't forget you have access to random cheap restaurants on Tasteaway so if you are concerned you can order only from well-established restaurants to circumvent this issue. I did have a problem once with Orderit and Tasteaway when I was advised of order cancellation by restaurant after approx 40 min (though this is not common). In case of Tasteaway they were great with customer service response.