Saturday, November 22, 2014Cloudy 1°C
News Flash

What's open and closed Easter weekend 2012 Toronto

Posted by Alexandra Grigorescu / April 4, 2012

What's open and closed on Easter weekend in Toronto:

Closed

• Government offices (postal service, City Hall and others) will be closed Friday-Monday.
  • Banks will be closed Friday-Sunday, and will resume service on Monday.
  • Toronto Public Libraries will be closed on Friday and Sunday, but open regular hours on Saturday
  • Most shopping malls and retail stores will be closed although there's usually some unexpected openings, so call ahead.
  • The Beer Store is closed on Friday and Sunday.
  • All LCBO stores will be closed on Friday, back to regular hours on Saturday, and closed on Easter Sunday. Approximately 280 LCBO stores will be open, with modified business hours, on Easter Monday — see if one near you is among them here.
  • Generally speaking, most grocery stores will be closed on Friday and Sunday, and have limited hours the rest of the weekend — as with the Lower Jarvis location of Loblaw's. But as a bonus, some Sobey's will be opening early on Monday to accommodate your last-minute dinner needs. Also, gourmet food stores such as the Healthy Butcher will be closed Friday and Sunday.

Open

• The Eaton Centre is open 10 a.m.-6 p.m. on Good Friday, closed Easter Sunday, and will resume regular hours on Monday. Some retailers surrounding the Eaton Centre and along Queen St. (i.e. H&M) will observe similar hours.
  • Food Depot (155 Dupont), Bloor Superfresh (384 Bloor St W), and Rabba grocery stores (various locations).
  • Bruno's Fine Foods remains open throughout the weekend, with slightly reduced hours Friday-Sunday.
  • The AGO remains open on Friday, but is closed on Monday.
  • Most of the businesses in the Distillery District will remain open all weekend.
  • A number of movie theatres are open all weekend (check our listings here)
  • Restaurant closures will vary greatly, so make sure to give them a ring prior to heading over. The upside is some will offer special holiday dinners, such as Mideastro or the Rosedale Diner.

TTC

The TTC will operate on a holiday schedule on Friday--which means Sunday service with a start date of 6 a.m. — and resume regular service for the remainder of the weekend.

Did we leave something out? Please let us know in the comments section below.

Terri / April 4, 2012 at 01:21 pm
I noticed that The Bay at Queen and Yonge is open both Friday and Sunday.
Frizz / April 4, 2012 at 05:09 pm
Just a correction, libraries are closed for Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Monday, but are open regular hours (9-5) on Saturday.
D / April 4, 2012 at 11:16 pm
This city drives me CRAZY on holidays. I just moved here from BC where basically everything is open every day besides Xmas. Obv that is a bit of an exaggeration, but holidays are NOT usually cause for closure of basic ammentites like grocery, and bit box/retail stores. For the biggest urban centre in the country I find it surprising, and more than a little annoying.
Retial worker replying to a comment from D / April 5, 2012 at 08:41 am
@D "more than a little annoying"?

Oh that's right the world revolves around you and your shopping habits. Why would I want a day off on a statutory holiday to spend time with friends or family.

Stores are open 7 days a week, if can't find the time to get things done then your unorganized. If you can't keep yourself entertained for a day without having to go to a store your a moron.

Go get a life outside of the retail world.
Retail Worker 2 / April 5, 2012 at 11:06 am
@Retial Worker

Why the hasty comment? I work in retail too and I wish stores were open on the holidays. Yeah its a great day off for us, but what is there to do? Keeping big box stores and malls in large urban centers open is a great idea, not only for people who have nothing to do but for stores to cash in on that. Being a manager in a large mall I sure have to say I would be more than happy to work on a holiday if that meant my store made more money than normal. And furthermore spending all my time at work doesn't really give me much opportunity to actually do the stuff that needs to get done during the week, having those holidays with stores open would be a great relief to me as I can get everything done especially if stores were open.

On another note, unless you celebrate the life of Jesus Christ and the resurrection this holiday doesn't have much meaning, and honestly 99% of my employees don't. Your attitude in this matter obviously says you hate working your retail job. There are lots of opportunities out there for you to choose from, if you're so unhappy with retail and are bashing a possible client/customer you're not really fit for retail or customer service in the first place.

Remember this next time you bitch about a holiday.
Moi / April 5, 2012 at 11:23 am
Sobeys - Queens Quay is OPEN on Holidays
Also inside there is a Wine Store open also, if you need your fix :)
Sybil Taylor / April 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm
Steam Whistle Brewing will be open all weekend long even when the Beer Store and LCBO stores are closed, so get your craft beer here! Also, tours will run every half hour each day, starting at 1pm, and we have an art exhibition of local artists on display. Lots of reasons to visit!
Lupita replying to a comment from Terri / April 5, 2012 at 08:22 pm
All the chinese and korean supermarkets are open all year long and some of them are 24hs.
You can find all kind of groseries fruit milk and good meat.
QC / April 6, 2012 at 12:33 am
LIBRARY closed MONDAY, too!!! (I know, I know. They were closed 1.5 weeks and now a 4-day weekend (minus the Sat., when it's open.)
Mel / April 6, 2012 at 12:48 am
I agree that us workers need a break too. We aren't your personal slaves.
Write_mich / April 6, 2012 at 09:22 am
Very helpful article and, for the most part, equally helpful comments below! I love this city and I love Blog TO! Thanks!
Anya / April 6, 2012 at 09:42 am
I work at the eaton centre and I'm confused. The website says regular hours resume Monday, but I was told stores are open 10-6 and it's considered a holiday.
sandy dee replying to a comment from Retail Worker 2 / April 6, 2012 at 10:27 am
It's "managers" like you that make working in retail a bad experience and yammering on about managers tracking employee comments online who work in retail is absolutely idiotic -especially to someone who didn't disclose any information about where or for whom they work.

It's easy to say that you would like everything to be open all the time because you are not one of the grunts, so get off your high horse and give people a break.
Chris / April 6, 2012 at 10:57 am
Dont forget the Ontario Science Centre is open every day (except Xmas), if you want to spend family time without going to a mall.
JoeyjoejrShabbadoo / April 6, 2012 at 11:20 am
"If store are closed, what's there for me to do" =I exist to consume. If I can't shop, life has no meaning

Go for a hike, spend time with friends and family, go to a park, have a picnic, bbq, read a book, enjoy quiet. Heaven forbid that minimum wage workers get a single day off from their jobs (usually more than 1)
corktowner replying to a comment from Moi / April 6, 2012 at 12:43 pm
Super helpful - thank you!
Raymond / April 6, 2012 at 04:24 pm
It should be noted that breweries like Mill St. can't sell you take away alcohol
Julie / April 6, 2012 at 07:35 pm
@Retail Worker2
I am not in retail, I am a consumer and you clearly state that you want one extra day to gouge your customers. Your Nazi-employer threat that 'Retail Worker' would get fired for expressing a personal opinion is disrespectful. Easter happens to be a very important holiday and he has every right - legally - to spend it with family. Go back to the dictatorship you came from. 'D' should try not consuming for one whole day or maybe better fly back to BC
TDot replying to a comment from Julie / April 6, 2012 at 08:37 pm
And Godwin's Law was reached @ 7:35 EST on the BlogTo comment board. Have a good weekend all.
Alberta replying to a comment from sandy dee / April 8, 2012 at 09:03 am
I work in retail and I'd be waaaayyyy MORE than happy to work on Easter Sunday for overtime pay. Money doesn't fall from the sky and I could really really use the money. I work for a retailer that is closed on Sunday and Monday this year. Closed stores mean lost wages for me and the people who work with me...and everyone who works with me is really hurting for money with the rising costs of food and housing. Some of us are really having problems paying our bills and would rather have some peace of mind with an extra day's pay.

Seriously, if you guys who own stores want to open on Easter Sunday, let me and my friends who work with me know...there's at 6 of us in our store who can really use the money. And for those who feel like they're being slaved by the prospect of a store being open on any Sunday or stat day, well, tell us what stores are forcing you to work and we'll come work those jobs. I'm seriously cursing the fact that our store is closed for two days.
Stephen replying to a comment from Alberta / April 8, 2012 at 09:46 am
If you're that hard up, you should get a job somewhere that gives employees the statutory holiday pay they are legally entitled to.
trish / April 8, 2012 at 11:24 am
Help...I need a dollar store ...anyone know of one open today? I know it is Easter ...please HELP!
Kim / April 8, 2012 at 11:30 am
Loblaws on church and carleton is open today (easter sunday)...i just went
hello / April 8, 2012 at 11:57 am
yorkville wholefoods website says they're open Sunday, April 8 – 9 am to 9 pm
katy / April 8, 2012 at 12:14 pm
is woodbine centre open today
please telll me quickly heeeeeeelppppp
Ags replying to a comment from D / April 8, 2012 at 01:35 pm
@D. If you hate it so much, go back to BC. You need to do your groceries? Do it a day before. Do you really want to spend a holiday shopping? There are a million things you can do in this amazing city. Ie. High Park, Distillery District, ride your bike along lakeshore, have a picnic somewhere, use your imagination. Every single country outside of North America enjoys their holidays by hanging out with family and friends. Places aren't open on holidays because people organzie their time and have betetr things to do than shop.
Sorabh / April 8, 2012 at 02:17 pm
If you're looking for businesses that are open today, check out www.indiansourceonline.com and you'll find thousands in the GTA that are probably open!
DC / April 8, 2012 at 06:27 pm
Over the Rainbow is open for all your shopping needs on EASTER MONDAY!
10:00AM - 6:00PM
101 Yorkville Avenue
416-967-7448
Adam / September 5, 2012 at 04:20 am
Superb website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics discussed here? I'd really like to be a part of online community where I can get responses from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
martial arts supply
Happy / March 29, 2013 at 11:00 am
So happy to find Bruno's open for my last minute shopping needs! Thanx blogTO
Chris Orbz / March 29, 2013 at 01:47 pm
"And also remember that when not working, your still representing your company, and anything you post is a reflection on their part. Employees have been fired for saying less and regardless of if you think your being anonymous on this, your not because most employers actually track everything their employees do, and its legal.

Remember this next time you bitch about a holiday."

I was totally with you until you suddenly veered off into this weird fascist threat. Maybe you need a holiday?
Hugo replying to a comment from Lupita / March 29, 2013 at 05:18 pm
Woohoo!
Anonymous replying to a comment from Chris Orbz / March 30, 2013 at 08:56 pm
Agreed!
Lindsey / March 31, 2013 at 09:56 am
I've worked in retail for about 15 years. Retail workers need a day or two off too. Most retail stores in Ontario are closed Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Christmas Day, and New Years Day. People that work in retail do not often get weekends off, they work when ever they are scheduled to work. They are over worked and often under paid. Some would be happy to get more money while working on a stat holiday.
How ever, most retailers don't want to or can't afford to pay time and a half to keep employees working on stat holidays. I think the only things that should be open on stat holidays are grocery stores and pharmacies. The rest should be closed so people can spend some time with family and friends. If you have to go shopping for that new sweater then you have become superficial and you don't understand the meaning of some stat holidays. For some people it's not just another day off.
Retailer3 / March 31, 2013 at 03:47 pm
Well people aren't happy are they, retailer2 you are a bully and you shouldn't be around anyone for that matter. You should isolate yourself because frankly you are a bully.
appliance bundles / September 21, 2013 at 11:29 pm
Neat where maybe you have determined this promotion?
home appliances repair / September 21, 2013 at 11:34 pm
and another set of "neighbors" will come into view
Yee Selig / September 22, 2013 at 12:11 am
Greetings! I’ve been reading your website for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic job!
abrego / April 18, 2014 at 11:25 am
Does anyone know if the molson beer store is open?
Maybelle H. Cesario / October 6, 2014 at 08:06 pm
I like reading through an article that will make people think.
Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!