Friday, October 24, 2014Partly Cloudy 4°C
News Flash

What's open on Christmas Day in Toronto

Posted by Derek Flack / December 20, 2010

What's open on Christmas Day in Toronto is surely a more relevant question than what's closed because, like New Year's, the city is almost completely shut down. Almost. Despite the closure of the LCBO, major grocery stores, malls, banks, the post office, and much more, there are a limited number of business operating on December 25th.

Here's a short list:

Shopping

• Pacific Mall (11 a.m. to 9 p.m).
  • Food Depot (Dupont and Davenport)

Transportation

• The TTC (Sunday service schedule)

Entertainment

Restaurants

• 7 West (7 Charles St. West)
  • Caplansky's (356 College St.)Chez Victor (Hotel Le Germain, 30 Mercer Street)
  • Clinton's (693 Bloor St. W)
  • Dhaba (309 King St. W)
  • Fairmont Royal York (100 Front. St)
  • The Old Mill (21 Old Mill Rd.)
  • Studio Cafe (21 Avenue Rd.)
  • Wabora (Thompson Hotel)
  • What A Bagel (various)

Andrew / December 20, 2010 at 11:38 am
Bright Pearl is not open. They've been closed for a couple of months.
Derek replying to a comment from Andrew / December 20, 2010 at 11:44 am
Right you are... Dumb mistake from me, as I almost wrote a story about its closure.
Dan / December 20, 2010 at 04:49 pm
This list reminds me of the song "Chinese Food On Christmas" (Go To The Movie Theater Too...Cuz There Just Aint Much Else To Do On Christmas...When You're A Jew!) http://youtu.be/w1uZ_W7atDE It's a funny song but in a way so true - take a look at that list and tell me it isn't! ;)
Oliver / December 20, 2010 at 06:05 pm
hemingway's in Yorrkville has at least one floor open for maximum legal hours every day of the year. On Christmas Day this year it will be the main floor.
Jodi replying to a comment from Dan / December 20, 2010 at 11:15 pm
too funny and too true @Dan!. I was hoping TNT supermarket would be open but alas, the one downtown is closed.
Mark / December 20, 2010 at 11:29 pm
Bell Lightbox is open! Make my girlfriend having to work not be in vain :)

(We celebrate on the 24th anyway.)
danbro / December 21, 2010 at 12:45 am
U can dance @ Fly till 6AM opens @ 10PM DJ SHAWN RIKER will be at the tables.
Michelle / December 21, 2010 at 09:50 am
How was this list researched? Also... no spell check? Bangkok Paradise has been closed for at least a month. It "moved" a few doors down. There's a little handwritten note taped to I Love Sushi's window that says Bangkok Paradise. The whole thing is odd.
misstdot / December 21, 2010 at 03:26 pm
Go-train and the bus terminal @ Bay and Dundas will be on holiday schedule.
Florence / December 22, 2010 at 04:31 pm
Vesta Lunch?
Rachel / December 22, 2010 at 04:59 pm
Everest on Queen W. will be open from 2PM on.
kat / December 23, 2010 at 10:13 am
Caplansky's will be open 11-6.
Gerry Lacroix / December 23, 2010 at 05:42 pm
Most Chinese restaurants and shops are open on all holidays and weekends including Sunday. I wish all shops would do the same -- holidays can be so frustrating when everything is closed on religious days. That's why I try to live near a Chinatown for that convenience. I also would like all stores to be open 24/7. I live at night and sleep in the day.
Bikeroo / December 24, 2010 at 12:22 am
Does anybody know of any coffee shop locations downtown that will be open on Christmas morning?
Leer / December 25, 2010 at 12:26 am
Rabba is open 24/7 and they sell coffee for a buck ... I know for sure Tim Hortons is closed cause I saw the sign today when I went for coffee >:/
Sidman replying to a comment from kat / December 25, 2010 at 12:54 am
Their website says 10am - 6pm
F / December 25, 2010 at 06:39 am
is mcdonalds open?
Coffeeguy / December 25, 2010 at 03:20 pm
Seriously, do the research. Drake cafe is very much closed.
Derek replying to a comment from Coffeeguy / December 25, 2010 at 03:52 pm
Apologies, I had dated information.
Craig / December 25, 2010 at 04:40 pm
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING should be open except for emergency services. Everyone should have the day off otherwise. And not just in Toronto but everywhere else in this side (and most of) the world as well.

Even if you have to travel, you should have filled up yesterday and brought gas cans and food if needed.
dan / December 25, 2010 at 07:01 pm
Anyone know of a good pizza place that open in the Bloor West area on xmas?
a / December 22, 2011 at 07:55 pm
check opentable.com for tons of restaurants open christmas eve, day, new year's eve, day
Tiffany / December 24, 2011 at 09:15 pm
A good breakfast restaurant name PaPa Tom's is open on Christmas Day
On Richmond Hill, 10255 Yonge st. Delicious @.@
Matt / December 25, 2011 at 09:48 am
@Craig, There is religions and people, who don't celebrate Christmas, Like Chinese restaurants etc, Why would they close on a day they don't acknowledge, They make a hell of a profit on Christmas because everything is closed
Josee Couture / December 25, 2011 at 02:41 pm
Best thing on Christmas is a great movie with a box of popcorn. That's open and a real treat. Lots of singles on Xmas day...
Josee
Staar / December 6, 2012 at 06:48 pm
To the person who wrote ,,,nothing should be open Xmas Day..Well I absolutely would have agreed with you Until this year.My husband and I are alone for the first time in many years.I am on line to see if there is something for us to do in TO.because I have always been a Mrs. Claus ,Up at 4 ho hoing around the house to wake everyone up..but not this year.So instead of a pity party I am checking this site ..So thank you for all the ideas and Merry Christmas to all
Lisa / December 13, 2012 at 09:47 am
Anyone know which movie theaters are open for Xmas. Kids too old for traditional day, looking to change it up a little. Chinatown for dinner...
Vee / December 23, 2012 at 11:23 am
For anyone in Mississauga there's a buffet restaurant called the Imperial at Dixie and Dundas open on Christmas Day.
Steve / December 25, 2012 at 03:42 am
Any Shoppers Drug Marts open?
J / December 25, 2012 at 09:38 am
Marche is open down on Wellington and Yonge.. its a higher end food court place.
Marla / December 25, 2012 at 10:38 am
To the guy who thinks that everything should be closed on Xmas day, I have to say that not everyone has a family or love one to spend the day with at home. And some people do have someone to share the day with but need to get out of their abode. Going out on xmas can be glorious if done with the right person at the right place. I hope more things are open today so that people can continue to enjoy their holidays. And I used to work on these days btw. Happy Holidays everyone. Movies, Caplansky's, Enjoy!
L replying to a comment from Bikeroo / December 25, 2012 at 10:57 am
Starbucks everywhere is open--U.S. chain makes em work 365. Sporadic McD's are also open.
Pamela / December 25, 2012 at 11:21 am
McDonalds at Yonge and Charles opened at 8 am :)
doug replying to a comment from Craig / December 25, 2012 at 04:24 pm
Have a great Christmas in your little fantasy world.