Friday, November 28, 2014Cloudy -3°C
News Flash

102.1 The Edge is leaving the Eaton Centre

Posted by Robyn Urback / September 7, 2010

The 102.1 Edge studio is leaving its faithful post at 228 Yonge, nestled at the side of the Eaton Centre close to Massey Hall.

As of September 13, the Edge will be moving to the new Corus Entertainment complex at 25 Dockside, right across from the Kool Haus. That means no more Metric or Foo Fighters fans swarming the downtown core (well, for Edge performances, at least).

No word yet on who'll be taking over the spot.

Jj / September 7, 2010 at 03:11 pm
First they fire Jason Barr now this?
Jacob / September 7, 2010 at 03:22 pm
What a shame. The streetfront studio has always been a great part of that station. It's true connection to the public will now be gone.

I imagine they'll be dragging Q107 along with them, shortly after.
m / September 7, 2010 at 03:24 pm
They fired Jason!!!
Regina / September 7, 2010 at 03:43 pm
I felt the same way when rogers had the new locations set up in the far-from-people building near amc. They keep trying to make dundas concrete square happen, sigh.
who / September 7, 2010 at 03:44 pm
There used to be this awesome radio station called CFNY in the 80's and early 90's.

Maybe they could come back and take over the space.

Rob / September 7, 2010 at 03:55 pm
Exactly...this station barely resembles what it was back then. It's become truly horrible with the same commercial songs being played over and over again, with little connection to the "alternative" artists which it championed in the early days.

Nowadays I hear Metallica and Guns N' Roses on 102.1...since when were these "edge" artists?
EMS / September 7, 2010 at 05:03 pm
They fired Jason? WHEN?
norm / September 7, 2010 at 05:06 pm
cfny was the best radio station for 2 decades. they need to get back to there roots and start playing great music that doesn't get any radio play. i know most fans are in there late 30s now but alternative rock music will make a comeback again. like all fads they die out and so will hip hop. cfny needs to be there when the next rock music movement happens.
Daniel / September 7, 2010 at 09:39 pm
I find it weird when I listen to q107 and hear nirvana, pearl jam and STP.
Daryl / September 7, 2010 at 10:17 pm
This move is only fitting, seeing as they've become so distant from their fans as it is.
mike / September 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm
Your all suckers
Sattilite radio is light years ahead of any station
hendrix / September 7, 2010 at 10:33 pm
I haven't listened to the formerly Mighty Q in years... then the other day I gave it a listen.... and I heard U2! U2 on the Mighty Q!!! Shocking. The headbangers in the 80s and 90s would have rioted if Q107 played U2 back then.
nate / September 8, 2010 at 12:58 am
There at the new Corus building on the waterfront. Still open the public. Still Shitty music!
Stra / September 8, 2010 at 07:50 am
I can't listen to CFNY anymore. The music played is top 40, and they often repeat the same song 4 or 5 times a day (I had it on in the bg one day while painting my house). Back in the day they used to break so many new artists in this city (Skinny Puppy, Swervedriver, Mazzy Starr come to mind). The Q is decent because of Kim Mitchell in the afternoons and Alice Cooper on Sat. eve/night, but again a lot of top 40 soft rock has creeped onto that station's play list too. I'm afraid to say that Toronto's Jazz station has me hooked a little :) - along with the CBC (there's a fantastic show on Sat. nights along with Laurie Brown who comes in afterward).
MTL / September 8, 2010 at 08:05 am
And again, Corus ruins something that was once good.
m / September 8, 2010 at 08:57 am
I wish CBC Radio 3 would broadcast on the actual radio. That would be a great replacement to the dribble they play on the Edge.
mick / September 8, 2010 at 10:07 am
This is a backwards move all around. Yonge Street loses some excitement, the station loses street cred, and the new studio will always be deserted. Even when the East Bayfront populates over the next 5-6 years, it's so remote down there that it'll never draw crowds like it did on Yonge (or the Annex before it). Stupid move.

The Edge hasn't been meaningful for years. I listened to the morning show today and it dawned on me why Dean Blondell repulses me so much...he's radio's ROB FORD: ignorant, smugly opinionated, and thinks far too highly of himself.

Many people of a certain age still listen to The Edge by default. It's what they used to listen to for great new music and cross their fingers that by leaving it on, maybe they'll hear something new every once in awhile.
Jason / September 8, 2010 at 11:20 am
CFNY moving their streetfront studio from the heart of The Annex to the Eaton Centre always seemed like a admission to me. An admission that they were no longer the funky little station with the big Brampton signal for those with discerning musical tastes. They were simply now the mall station. Now that they are leaving the mall, I can't say I expect anything to change.
Jason / September 8, 2010 at 11:23 am
CFNY moving their streetfront studios from the heart of The Annex to one of Canada's largest malls always seemed an admission to me. An admission that the little funky station with the big Brampton signal was no longer catering to those with a discerning taste in music, but simply to mall kids. Sadly, I don't think this move out of the mall will change much of anything.
Jason / September 8, 2010 at 11:25 am