Saturday, October 25, 2014Light Rain Shower 15°C
Film

Fort York gets a free outdoor film festival

Posted by Natalia Manzocco / July 29, 2014

fort york film festivalThe world is our movie theatre in Toronto this summer, with free screening after free screening taking over our parks and patios. The Outdoor Movie Festival, a cross-Canadian series of free outdoor flicks backed by Scotiabank, is bringing us another set of opportunities to laugh, cry and nostalgia-trip under the starry skies - this time, on the grass at Fort York throughout August.

The just-announced lineup of Tuesday night screenings proves, once again, that you can't have an outdoor movie screening series without Ghostbusters. In addition to the perennially slimy action/comedy classic, which will hit the screens August 19, the slate features crowd-pleasers like Jurassic Park (August 5), The Breakfast Club (August 12), and the mercifully Tobey Maguire-free Amazing Spider-Man 2 (August 26). There's free popcorn for the first 300 folks at each screening; the fun starts at sundown.

Photo by the City of Toronto in the blogTO Flickr pool.

webhead / July 29, 2014 at 09:01 am
Ok nerd alert and what not but the Raimi directed Spider-Man 2 is probably one of the best, most well regarded superhero films made, the Garfield ones are just awful
John replying to a comment from webhead / July 29, 2014 at 09:23 am
It's a cartoon, comic book. How adults can watch this is beyond me. Are we still 8-10 year old little boys and girls in our heads?
freemovieguy / July 29, 2014 at 09:31 am
I've been to almost all of the outdoor screening spots. This is definitely one of my favs though. Great location by the water yet surprisingly few mosquito issues.

As for John, movies cater to a wide range of tastes. Many like them as a form of escapism. Why knock other peoples' choices? You don't like it, please go ahead and start up your own outdoor screenings.
Jen replying to a comment from webhead / July 29, 2014 at 09:57 am
Webhead, I stand with you on Raimi. (The stuff that's been coming out lately takes itself way too seriously, in my opinion... like John said, they're comics.) Although Sam Raimi's Spiderman is the only superhero movie I've seen since they stopped letting Tim Burton direct Batman movies, so I'm probably not an authority on this.
Turtle Power - Heroes in a Half Shell replying to a comment from John / July 29, 2014 at 10:43 am
Yes we are still 8-10 years old which is why we still wear clothes with our favorite TV shows (Sons of Anarchy) and favorite bands on them, screaming to the world check me out, this is what I'M into!

I'm writing TV shows and bands on my jacket and backpack right now!
webhead replying to a comment from John / July 29, 2014 at 03:22 pm
Those comic books are responsible a pretty huge industry, so they must be appealing to a lot of people beyond 8-10 year olds. I'm not saying everything comic related is great, but you should give them a chance before denigrating. Most every adult is watching the medieval fantasy Game of Thrones right now anyway, not sure how superheroes are so far removed from that...