Friday, October 31, 2014Light Rain 6°C
Film

Bloor Hot Docs Cinema approved for liquor licence

Posted by Derek Flack / September 13, 2012

Bloor Cinema Liquor LicenceThe Bloor Hot Docs Cinema is set to become one of the few movie houses in Toronto that can serve in-theatre alcohol. Part of the plan since its renovation and rebrand earlier this year, the theatre put in a successful liquor licence application that will, if nothing else, help make its documentary-heavy programming just a little more entertaining. After all, what's more refined than washing down a doc with some Syrah? And if the film turns out to be a bust...well you know what to do.

Movie theatres have tended to shy away from seeking licences on account of the requirement that they designate their spaces as adult-only, but it's surely a sound move for a cinema that caters to a predominantly adult clientele already. Specifics as to the booze selection have yet to be made available, but we know there'll be wine and beer, and that's enough for me.

Spike / September 13, 2012 at 07:46 pm
So this theater joins the Scotiabank Theater and the world-famous Alamo Drafthouse in selling booze-big deal.
Dennis Logan replying to a comment from Spike / September 13, 2012 at 08:16 pm
No, no... you aren't getting it... they got the INSIDE of the cinema licensed! Meaning you can bring your beer to your seat (legally)!
Gloria / September 13, 2012 at 08:41 pm
A lack of children is a selling point.
Jeffrey / September 13, 2012 at 10:05 pm
There always has been booze at the Bloor. I'll still be bringing my own, thank you very much.
jd / September 13, 2012 at 10:16 pm
I wish there was a theater doing it like the Alamo Drafthouse.

Food (Good food) and drinks. I would go often.
Rmund / September 14, 2012 at 12:58 am
I can't wait until they show a Werner Herzog documentary, cause when that happens I'm gonna get drunk and rage on about the intensity of stupidity of chickens.
Happy Hour / September 14, 2012 at 02:08 am
Are they planning to start serving dim sum? It would be great to be able to mark down your dim sum order when you go to pick up your tickets and then have the steamer baskets delivered to your seats. Alternatively, there could be carts going around just before the film starts.
Johnny / September 14, 2012 at 05:46 am
$5.50 tall can of Amsterdam, fuck yes! Now if they'd just move TIFF's Midnight Madness here instead of the shitty Ryerson, everyone would live happily ever after.
Dov Eles / September 14, 2012 at 07:18 am
My best Bloor Cinema moment was watching the premiere of Grass, and after hearing the first lighter spark, seeing many (many) blue smokey streams rising up to the balcony. Dont think I ever went in there without a brew or two and a fattie.
Russ / September 14, 2012 at 10:22 am
Excellent news. Let's just hope they don't pull that 'Canadian Wine and Beer Only' bullshit.
Peter / September 14, 2012 at 10:34 am
Do we know when this is going to be done?
W. K. Lis / September 14, 2012 at 10:48 am
Still not Europe, where one can get alcohol (IE. wine, beer) with your fast food hamburger and fries.
Jer / September 14, 2012 at 12:11 pm
Why does it have to be "adult only" theatre? Restaurants can serve both kids and adults. Why would this be considered more of a "night club" type thing? Why should teens be denied watching documentaries?
Bill / September 14, 2012 at 09:15 pm
So, when someone is talking on their cell or playing with their smartphone during the film and I politely tell them to stop...I will receive a drunken punch in the face.

Not to mention having to listen to drunken comments through the film.

I'll pass.....
Spike replying to a comment from Dennis Logan / September 14, 2012 at 10:43 pm
That's why I mentioned the Alamo Drafthouse first off, Dennis; that theater allows you to have beer and wine served right where you're watching the movie! Bring in a 'no cellphones allowed' policy, and the Bloor will really be cookin'.

@Bill: that won't be happening much, I think. I could be wrong, though...

Spike replying to a comment from Jer / September 14, 2012 at 10:45 pm
I don't think that teenagers would be told not to come, only small kids.
Malika K. replying to a comment from Jer / October 1, 2012 at 06:33 am
My thoughts exactly! My kids are 16 and 17 and can go to concerts so why not a film? They are more mature than me in a lot of ways and to tell the truth I love horror films but I need to watch them with my kids as I am usually the one who gets scared and I need them for moral support lol ....kids these days are desensitized to this kind of stuff - it should be okay if they go with their parent especially!
Malika K. replying to a comment from Spike / October 1, 2012 at 06:35 am
The posting/site specifies 18+ ...I wonder if they will ask for ID or they're just covering their butts in case of anything?
Malika K. replying to a comment from Spike / October 1, 2012 at 06:39 am
I hear you! I agree that people shouldn't be allowed to be fooling around with their smartphones however I don't agree with a strictly 'no cell phone' policy ....in case of a medical emergency.