Wednesday, September 17, 2014Partly Cloudy 10°C
Fashion & Style

Muji to open first Toronto store at the Atrium on Bay

Posted by Natalia Manzocco / August 25, 2014

muji torontoLast week, we reported that Japanese no-frills home goods and clothing chain Muji was coming to Toronto in time for the holiday season, and a thousand design nerds immediately began preparing to make over their homes in a million shades of tan. Now, Retail Insider reports, the company has chosen the location for its first downtown store - the Atrium on Bay, home of Toronto's only downtown Red Lobster and that LCBO near Dundas Square.

What the Atrium lacks in retail cachet, it makes up for in location and available floor space. It's not known exactly which spot in the complex they'll occupy yet, but Retail Insider notes that they've got options. A large space is already open on the basement floor, and there's a new vacancy in the former Guess store on Yonge St. (though a giant Hallowe'en store is set to take over that space in the coming weeks, meaning Muji would have to wait to move in until after trick-or-treat season).

maybe / August 25, 2014 at 02:24 pm
The Travel Ontario office just closed last week.

My guess is it will be opening in there, as this way they will get better foot traffic from the outside.
Jujubee / August 25, 2014 at 02:38 pm
Lots of stuff closed in that building. the space where Blacks was is still open since last Halloween and the street level Guess just closed. i think the Halloween store 'Spirit' (which was in the blacks space last year)is going there.
Richard / August 25, 2014 at 02:49 pm
Bowrings will be closing in November/December as well.
cathie / August 25, 2014 at 03:14 pm
Can someone tell me what's so special about this place? Based on their website, I don't get what they're selling that has got everyone all excited.
Steve / August 25, 2014 at 03:16 pm
The empty spaces left by Black's Camera and The Ontario Travel Office will be a reworked into a new entrance for the mall and the subway, removing the subway entrance from the sidewalk. The empty space left by Guess is three levels and includes an elevator to the lower level, the lower level is the same floor space as the main level. Spirits will be gone November first, Muji is set to open in December. Being such a large space it could be divided.
That is my guess.
Jason Paris / August 25, 2014 at 03:18 pm
Most speculation on Urban Toronto is that it will be the multi-floor space facing Yonge and most recently occupied by Guess. There's a Hallowe'en pop-up shop going in in the interim, so timing would be tight.
kstop replying to a comment from cathie / August 25, 2014 at 03:25 pm
Clothes that were rejected from the H&M mens summer collection for being too bland and falling apart too fast (This is highly variable though, their linen pants are like tissue paper but I still have a Muji jacket thing from 2002 which is only now reaching Peak Wabi Sabi).

Bags that last forever which sucks because you'd like a funkier one this year.

Notebooks that also last forever, because while it was cool for a week to plan your day around an actual 24 clock circle, it quickly became a pain in the ass so you stopped using it but couldn't bring yourself to throw it out.

The world's best pens if you've only ever been to a Grand & Toy and not any art store ever.

Probably the Last Of The Wall-Mounted CD Players.
awesome replying to a comment from kstop / August 25, 2014 at 05:49 pm
You are officially the coolest person ever. awesome!..
Parker replying to a comment from kstop / August 25, 2014 at 06:03 pm
Nice one
kstop for Mayor / August 25, 2014 at 09:15 pm
Yes, kstop rules. Not often you get an honest comment on Blogto like that. Ditto for Uniqlo. WTF is all the excitement about?

The bowels of Atrium on Bay? What a weird location!! I'm astonished!
jd83 / August 25, 2014 at 11:31 pm
I'm looking forward to Muji. But I'm guessing they won't be bringing their food, snacks & drinks??? Which is a shame...
MUJI is coming replying to a comment from cathie / August 25, 2014 at 11:49 pm
You know, I thought long and hard about your question, and I typed and re-typed many plausible answers. But in the end I really can't say for certain. So instead I would simply urge you to go to the store when it opens and find out for yourself whether it is exciting or not, and why.
Douglas / August 26, 2014 at 01:03 am
I have been in their stores in Manila and Bangkok and their merchandise is bland, boring and way overpriced. I would never shop there.
CH / August 26, 2014 at 08:34 am
I love Muji, grew up with it in Asia and I'm glad it's finally making its way to Toronto. What I like about their products is the simplicity in it. I've never had anything from them fall apart on me so the quality is at least decent. I get that it's not everyone's aesthetics but judging from the reaction when it was revealed Muji was coming to Toronto, I'm sure it's going to do really well here.

Great downtown location. Dare I say it might even revive Atrium by encouraging more retailers to set up shop there.
elliot / August 26, 2014 at 09:41 am
Having just returned from japan where i spent time in the MUJI yurakucho shop where they have everything from umbrella's to pre-fabricated houses for sale, I am glad to see them come to Toronto, but I will temper my expectations on what to expect in the shop. The NYC shop is a bit underwhelming in selection.
Not everyone will like or find the aesthetic appealing, go figure, not everyone found the GUESS store clothing appealing, a bit too be-dazzled for me....
Parker / August 26, 2014 at 11:11 am
Welcome to Normcore Land
pearlD. / August 26, 2014 at 12:22 pm
sounds great to me...I went to Bed Bath and Beyond in the AURA building...further north on Yonge Street, closer to College Street))...now apart from the BBB that new building is an absolute disaster...very poorly marked, many, many empty stores and also one of the least 'parking friendly' garages around...I would hate to be trying to find my way around after regular business hours....so few building maps, not a Security Guard, or Help button posted. It's downright scary in there, much as I like BBB I will wait til I go to the USA before shopping there ...ever! Th Atrium, also not that user friendly but 'light' years ahead of the Aura building...Am anxious for this new store MUJI to open...sounds wonderful....
dido / August 27, 2014 at 12:31 am
I really just hope they bring the Acrylic Organizers so I can neatly store my makeup :)
liquorlover / August 28, 2014 at 02:31 pm
I wish the LCBO would take over the Guess spot and finally be on street level!
Spike replying to a comment from Steve / September 1, 2014 at 10:52 pm
Why the frack are they getting rid of the sidewalk subway entrance?

On another tangent; is it possible that the Silver Snail can move into the Guess building?