Friday, August 1, 2014Light Rain with Thunder 19°C
Fashion & Style

Junction Flea moves out of the Junction

Posted by Natalia Manzocco / April 9, 2014

junction flea torontoToronto's bargain hounds, vintage seekers and craft lovers will have a new hunting ground this summer: the Junction Flea has found a new home on Sterling Road, just south of Perth, in the Junction Triangle. The new location, which appears to be an empty lot nestled among industrial buildings, is a quick walk up from Dundas West, down from Bloor, or just off the Railpath.

The market's original location, in a lot at Dundas and Keele, became unavailable at the end of last year's market season, with construction finally set to start on the Duke condo development.

The owners say they'll continue to alternate the new destination with their east-end market at the Evergreen Brick Works (and no, they will not take any sass about the Junction Flea no longer being located in the Junction). The first market of the season will be held May 18 at the Brick Works, with the new location making its debut June 8; check out their full summer schedule here.

Photo by Jesse Milns

Chester / April 9, 2014 at 12:56 pm
It's sad that the Flea couldn't find a spot thats actually in the Junction. A lot of people talk about how great the Junction is but if you walk up and down the street we still have a ton of taped up and boarded up windows and shops. People in this neighbourhood talk a lot of talk but never deliver. I've been to a ton of Junction BIA meetings and they lack growth or direction I don't know which is one is worse. They're sitting on a gold yet are afraid to open the the mine.
nb / April 9, 2014 at 01:16 pm
Chester, the sheer number of new business that have opened up in the Junction in the past 2-5 years is ridiculous. I think you're completely wrong. Those empty storefronts are most likely because the stores need extensive renovations or the landlord is charging too much rent. It's certainly not something the BIA can snap their fingers and fix. They've done a huge amount to get the neighbourhood to the place it is today. I expect in another couple years we will be yearning for some empty storefronts and lower rents.

On the other hand, the neighbourhood could definitely use some more community space for events such as this. Still, the flea has always been more about private profit than community.
Chester replying to a comment from AV / April 9, 2014 at 01:48 pm
I'm glad you picked up on that BIA being the OLD OOOOLLLLLD Guard. The weird thing don;t think these places are doing so well. I've talked to them and one sentiment they have spoke of is first it's been a horrible winter which everyone has had to deal with, second the neighbourhood has always done a great job shopping and dining at local businesses. But they all say the same thing they need outside volume. They need people who don;t live in the Junction to come to the Junction. And now having no Flea, and only one festival (summer solstice) is not gonna do it. A few years ago they use to have the street festival and the only reason it got shut down was because the BIA defaulted on paying the police to shut down the street.
emily replying to a comment from Chester / April 9, 2014 at 02:15 pm
the new line from the airport to union stopping at the junction should help. it's certainly close to the new flea location. still, that bus ride is always going to make the junction seem "far."
REg / April 9, 2014 at 02:24 pm
Not the greatest of locations, quite desolate on that part of sterling and not much foot traffic there. They should be prepared to take the SASS over the name and location. Not taking any sass is not the way to run a successful business.
Lay OFF! replying to a comment from Av / April 9, 2014 at 02:28 pm
It stops right on the railpath just north of bloor east of Dundas West Stn.
emily replying to a comment from AV / April 9, 2014 at 07:43 pm
who are you and how large is that stick up your ass? junction triangle is dead and we could use some life in between roncy and _THE_ junction. and honestly, thanks for taking the initiative to rep every junctionite but the flea was a treasure started by people working and living in the junction. there are lots of people sorry to see it go and pleased that it will hang onto the moniker whether for nostalgia or because junction TRIANGLE flea is a mouthful. now go back to drawing invisible lines between bloordale and bloorcourt like those names were actually given by residents.
Jessica replying to a comment from nb / April 9, 2014 at 07:47 pm
How is the flea not about community?? That's basically what it's all about! The gentrification of 'The Junction' is definitely going to be slower without the business and people the flea brought.
emily replying to a comment from AV / April 9, 2014 at 08:03 pm
ugh i can't stop myself but i feel like doing a Criminal Minds analysis on you. let me guess - a condescending pedant like you... mid-level employee, only shows leadership when you're playing dungeon-master, gets looked over for promotions and you think it's because the management just aren't as smart as you when in reality, it's your piss-poor social skills. tell me how far off the mark i am. oh and you either have a neckbeard or wear a fedora.
carolinax / April 9, 2014 at 11:18 pm
As someone moving into the neighbourhood soon and who works in the junction triangle... I'm pretty excited. Learning about the political history here in the comments has been pretty great.
anne / April 10, 2014 at 12:25 am
It sucks to lose the Flea but I think the new Stockyards Mall at Keele/St. Clair is going to bring a lot more outsider traffic and exposure to the Junction as it will send a lot of shoppers up Keele and Runnymede on a regular basis. Stopping off in the Junction for a walk for an espresso or lunch would be great after an hour or two of Target madness!

I have no doubt the Duke as well as the many other condos springing up in Bloor West will bring more density to the Dundas retail/resto strip as well as it is a nice walk or 2 minute drive up the street.
DirtyT / April 10, 2014 at 09:19 am
I live in the Junction but I never went to the Junction Flea Market, so I'm not particularly sorry to see it go. My wife went once and said it was a lot of Miscellaneous Hipster stuff being sold at "higher than you'd want to pay" prices.

I do think more needs to be done around the neighborhood. It would be nice to get the big Street Fesitval back (Junction Arts Festival). If not The Junction Arts fest then perhaps a "Taste of the Junction"?
Kate / April 10, 2014 at 10:54 am
I'm with Dirty T - I live in the Junction and only made it to Junction Flea once, and concur with T's wife's description. That said, the foot traffic generated in the area by the Flea was far more likely to take in other local businesses/food than any of the crowd zipping up to take a look in Target or Michaels (by car).
Jim Smith / April 10, 2014 at 11:22 am
Same here, I live down the street from the Junction Flea and it was awful. I went once and it was a bunch of overpriced junk. I decided to stop by a year later to see if it had improved but walked away laughing when they tried to charge me money for the privilege to enter.

Also - any notion of being a community event went out the window when they held "The Junction Flea Market" on Queen West in the winter.
emily / April 10, 2014 at 11:50 am
At least I got the condescending pedant part right, AV sweetie
Junk / April 10, 2014 at 11:55 am
The customer is always WRONG! We will take no sass from anyone!
Wayne / April 10, 2014 at 12:11 pm
Good luck with that - the two locations Sterling road and Brickworks are off the beaten path for most. They had the luck of a captive audience in the Junction, this move will be a test if people will actually go out of their way to get to a flea market/garage sale.
mike replying to a comment from emily / April 10, 2014 at 12:28 pm
My analysis of you-easily bothered by internet commentators, some dead end job making maybe 40K a yr (but you tell everyone it is 50K), 20+ pounds overweight. The bigger, the angrier
Jennifer / April 10, 2014 at 01:20 pm
As a resident of the Junction Triangle this is amazing news! Sterling gets a lot of car and bike traffic and with the path right there lots of foot traffic. I think the location is great. Hopefully it will no longer be so cramped as it was in the Junction. Emily, do you live in the JT? I promise you it isn't dead. Just like the Junction was a few short years ago things around here are changing.
emily replying to a comment from mike / April 10, 2014 at 01:24 pm
yea mike, spot on. but it really is $50k. i'd be happy to do some freelance investigative work with you though. after all, if we're all commenting on blogto in the middle of the day, we've got time to spare :)
DirtyT / April 10, 2014 at 01:49 pm
They charged admission???

Why? Are window shoppers THAT annoying? To me that's beyond ridiculous.

Any time I go to any "market" (Flea, Farmer's, or otherwise) I usually purchase something simply because I'm there and the thing caught my eye. If they have tons of people rolling through without buying ANYTHING then that's because A) Their products aren't desired by anybody or B) Their prices are too high to encourage an impulse purchase.. Either way, it's their problem to deal with, not the customer's.

Good Riddance.
nb / April 10, 2014 at 09:29 pm
People complaining about prices.. it's a flea market. Not walmart. Negotiate.

The $2 entry fee IS ridiculous. I haven't attended since they started charging it. I've been going to the parkdale flea and leslieville flea instead when I feel like it.

CR / April 10, 2014 at 10:00 pm
I own a store in the Junction and I agree that it does not yet live up to its hype.. Especially for shopping. Landlords are tripling rent and yet no one is coming to the junction to shop from outside areas. That is why those boarded up empty stores are going to stay like that for a while unfortunately.
roger / April 11, 2014 at 01:00 am
That's what I'm saying about the Junction Flea they had a captive audience off the strip. Take the flea off the strip and then what do you have?
Terry / April 11, 2014 at 01:01 am
Who cares? Fleas are always about chit chatting and checking out chicks anyways
a flea / April 11, 2014 at 11:34 am
The Leslieville flea hasn't been in Leslieville for a while now either. It's been at Distillery the last few times...
Nick replying to a comment from DirtyT / April 11, 2014 at 01:57 pm
For someone who admitted that the Junction Flea isn't your cup of tea, you do spend a lot of time hating on them. Jesus, your levels of screwface are through the roof. Do all of us a fine favour and man up and create something better than the Junction Flea or just politely shut the fuck up and keep your crying to your therapy sessions. I too might not be into buying pricey vintage clothes but you know what? There's somebody out there willing to. And to be perfectly honest, I'd rather see a bustling flea market with "hipsters" (also stop using that fucking word already...you sound like an out-of-touch troglodyte) than a vacant lot or worse: a condo development.
Wallace Brown / April 11, 2014 at 02:15 pm
Does no one on here know that you can drink in the Junction now? Lighten up, bitter cunts.
Jessica replying to a comment from nb / April 15, 2014 at 03:36 pm
There's a reason why the junction flea is so much bigger, better products and organization than leslieville and parkdale flea.. you can literally see the difference your $2 makes when you compare them
local replying to a comment from AV / April 22, 2014 at 12:37 pm
You guys have nothing to complain about in terms of your BIA and old guard. Try Corso Italia, whose genius BIA brought us outdoor speakers that play Kenny G, and a store facade improvement incentive - dollar-matching what the businesses invested - that destroyed the look of the precious few buildings still bearing old architectural charm with god-awful stucco (something that seriously needs to be outlawed in this city already). Almost ten years ago when we were looking to buy our first house, our budget had us scoping both the Junction and Corso Italia. We went with the latter as we got way more bang for our buck house-wise, but we have often regretted the decision. The transformation of the Junction during the time we've owned our home has been astonishing, while our neighbourhood stagnates for the most part. For every good restaurant or shop that's opened, two others close in its place. Seriously, be grateful.
nb replying to a comment from Nick / May 20, 2014 at 01:13 pm
Funny you say that, since the vacant lot that the flea was located in is now a condo development. Coincidence?