Friday, February 12, 2016Partly Cloudy -11°C
Fashion & Style

6 trends to spot at the Toronto Interior Design Show

Posted by Ab Velasco / January 23, 2013

Interior Design ShowLooking for inspiration, ideas and tips to reinvigorate or re-imagine the design of your living space? The annual Interior Design Show takes place this Saturday and Sunday at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (North Building). Tickets are $19 online and $22 at the door.

Now in its 15th year, the show features 300 exhibitors displaying the newest in innovative Canadian and international products. Feature exhibit will highlight international interior, architecture and industrial design trends - from emerging and established designers, including International Guest of Honour Oki Sato.

Speakers include author, visual artist and designer Douglas Coupland, designer and TV host John Gidding and House & Home publisher Lynda Reeves.

To give you a head start to your design dreaming and planning, I ask five of this year's IDS speakers to share the trends that they think Torontonians should look for in 2013.

UNDERSTATED GLAMOUR

Glamour will take on a more understated look, moving away from showy bling toward design that is individually tailored, says House and Home magazine's Editor-in-Chief, Suzanne Dimma, who will lead a talk with Tommy Smythe on Sunday.

"We still want luxury, but we want it to be quieter and more personal. Home owners are playing designer more than ever, choosing the colours, dimensions and patterns of tiles or area rugs, while furniture is now customizable in countless ways."

BIG BLASTS OF COLOUR AND PATTERN

"A recurring theme in home design, fashion and accessories, we keep seeing brighter colours and mixed ethnic patterns everywhere," says Jill Greaves, who will give a seminar on "How To Get The Most Out of Any Renovation Project" on Saturday.

She advises to be bold. "Expect to see bright colours like last year's tangerine to sunshine yellows and deep emeralds. Deep azure is also making a comeback."

IDS show goers will see many exhibitors embracing colour and pattern in their designs. Kia Canada's exhibit will showcase several cars wrapped in colourful, custom patterns created by Douglas Coupland, Christiane Lemieux, Jürgen Mayer H. and Karim Rashid.

MIXING NOT MATCHING

"I believe that people are getting tired of slick minimal interiors where everything 'matches,'" says Montreal-born and London-based rising star Philippe Malouin, who will speak about his material experimentation on Friday's Trade Day, a day reserved for professional members of the design trade.

"When it comes to furniture in an interior, I find it interesting when a person has collected it over the years. Interiors should reflect the personality and experience of its inhabitants rather than looking like a page from a design magazine. Furniture from all eras are interesting. By mixing them, you achieve more balance than by having everything modern and minimal."

BOLDER KITCHEN AND EATING AREAS

The recent explosion of smartly-designed gastropubs in Toronto has exposed adventurous consumers to quirky and layered design approaches, says Mark Challen, VP of House & Home Media, who will interview acclaimed Canadian interior designer Brian Gluckstein on Sunday.

Challen predicts that we will find brave new ways to design kitchens and eating areas. "From the industrial farmhouse look - think chunky butcher block tables with cast iron legs - to the eccentric Bloomsbury dining lounge - sporting well-worn upholstered banquettes, vintage wallpaper and antique mirrors - we'll be warming up our favourite room with lots of personality-driven furniture and art."

COPPER STRIKES BACK

HGTV star Tommy Smythe will be chatting with Dimma at IDS on Sunday. He thinks 2013 will see the return of copper. "Just when we thought brass was back for good, copper has begun to elbow its way into the kitchen and the bath and has taken over the accessories market... We'll see if it knocks brass off its throne," he says, adding, "Oh, and you can forget about chrome. It's so '90s!"

BRIDGING THE INDOOR AND OUTDOOR DIVIDE

IDS show goers can expect to see many design items that highlight natural materials like wood and stone.

Dimma says that Canadians have always had a special relationship with the outdoors - and in 2013, people will bridge the indoor-outdoor divide more than ever.

"We'll be seeing greater demand for accordion-style doors and windows that open fully to the outdoors, creating one big room. Heated stone floors with a flagstone look, typically a preserve of the mudroom or hallway, will be showing up in the living room. Plus, the quality of outdoor furniture is now better than ever, inviting us to linger outside even longer."

trendoffice / January 24, 2013 at 07:39 am
MIXING NOT MATCHING - not quite true: we always match, but not necessarily in the same style, otherwise it will not feel good.
Edilberto Durano / January 24, 2013 at 07:22 pm
I think "mixing not matching" is true. There is chic and vivid outcome through diversity.
Ed of InteriorMotivesHuntley.com
Julie K. / January 31, 2013 at 09:43 am
Wanted to thank you for these pointers, you highlighted some areas I would surely miss. And I definitely agree with "mixing not matching". Sometimes what you need is something different. Something unexpected. That's one of the reasons why I enjoyed the seminars about The art of collection. Small detail can change a lot.
Preeti / June 14, 2013 at 07:24 am
Mobile homes are also called as transportable home. the people who love adventures and move one place to another, mobile homes are best options. many builders in Canada sell ready made homes with best interior. these homes are affordable.
Wyatt / January 29, 2015 at 05:12 pm
Excellent article, I think your right, copper did make a come back in recent years and I think it looks great in the kitchen. Thanks
One will not find the latest Batman movie of anything that
way on this site, but they will however find various earliest pens and often rare
films from the early 20th century as well we the 19th
century. Physical activities and exercises that now you may do as a way to stay away from hemorrhoid problems are already recommended.
This may be the best-case scenario where if a person tracker transpires with go down, it won't
bring the entire network down which will help prevent the flow of data.
Get free 25$ - Payoneer Card / March 23, 2015 at 05:29 am
Get free 25$ - Payoneer Card Just Sign Up and you can be payed like an American! Get free 25$ - Payoneer Card Widraw money on every Mastercard ATM or pay it online.
Free 25$ on first 100$. Just go on Get free 25$ - Payoneer Card You will receive a Free Credit card, a free worldwide Payoneer Card.
Jual Villa di Bali / April 26, 2015 at 08:03 am
The design are so nice.
I like very much the idea of Painterly Rugs, but I think that there are several stable trends in interior design connected with the growing desire for sustainability, longevity, green living, comfort and tranquility that will continue in 2015, too:
- recycled wood in even unexpected places;
- copper and its warm hues;
- pastels:
Jual Villa di Bali / April 26, 2015 at 08:04 am
Text Decor and Mirrored furniture are my favourite one. I really like how they improve the shine of interior. I even believe that, shelving arrangement can be a part of this as they are adjustable and have modern look as well. I have an article on it. So can i share here?
architects-vancouver / May 14, 2015 at 01:02 am
A prominent Vancouver newspaperman mocked the concept, bring
in that unlike Chicago, Vancouver has bit of building relevance worth going to.
KC Make Up / May 14, 2015 at 10:56 pm
KC Make Up
chinese comedy movies list / May 29, 2015 at 07:27 pm
Zhang believes The Nice Wall will see the beginning of a
trend - Chinese language blockbusters changing
into in style worldwide.
model train layout ideas / June 21, 2015 at 05:21 am
Do not skip the Library in the second floor. The Librarian features original
design and artwork which is not showcased down stairs.
Kasey / October 23, 2015 at 07:27 pm
brilliant post I'm a big football fan from holland
there / January 11, 2016 at 06:01 pm
Setting up leadership comes throughout steed training, however there are 2 certain foundation workouts that
will certainly cement your position as the leader of the herd.
Lilian / January 16, 2016 at 11:00 am
This particular is something what all online game players need in the first
place as well as now do stay achieved, courtesy of realm of the mad god hacks, which are
actually out there on the web for getting.
best BCAA / January 17, 2016 at 03:48 pm
What i do not understood is if truth be told how you're now not actually much
more smartly-liked than you may be right now.
You're so intelligent. You recognize thus significantly when it comes to this matter, made me in my opinion believe it from
a lot of varied angles. Its like men and women don't seem to be interested unless it is something to accomplish with Girl gaga!
Your personal stuffs nice. All the time handle it up!
Judith / January 25, 2016 at 02:06 pm
Robert Bruce Shaw describes the cornerstones of trust as results, integrity and concern in his book Trust in the Balance.

Performance appraisals host a wealth of information about the status of company employees.
"I want to be clear that the board is not by any means backing away from the PMF.
pure testo xplode supplements for weight / February 4, 2016 at 08:15 pm
I leave a leave a response when I appreciate a post on a site
or if I have something to contribute to the discussion. Usually it is caused by the
passion displayed in the post I browsed. And after this
article 6 trends to spot at the Toronto Interior Design Show.

I waas actually excited enough to create a commenta respinse :-) I actually do
have 2 questions for you if you usually do not mind.
Is it only me or do soe of these comments appear as if they are left by brain dead people?

:-P And, if you are posting at other onlinje solcial sites, I would like to keep up with
you. Could you lis every one of all your public sites
like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?
dafabet / February 4, 2016 at 09:40 pm
Great post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I am inspired!
Very helpful information particularly the last section :) I
deal with such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a
long time. Thank you and best of luck.
Raspberry Slim Natural Weight Loss Side Effects / February 6, 2016 at 10:56 pm
Hi to every one, because I am in fact eager of reading this weblog's post to be updated daily.
It carries fastidious information.
Declan / February 7, 2016 at 07:07 am
All readings plainly reveal pricing and suitable costs and
need you to verify as well as allow these fees prior to starting
a reading.
Bastrop / February 7, 2016 at 08:20 am
I am really enjoying the theme/design of your website. Do
you ever run into any browser compatibility issues?

A couple of my blog audience have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera.
Do you have any recommendations to help fix this problem?
revival Beauty salon dungarvan / February 7, 2016 at 10:06 pm
Excellent, what a web site it is! This blog gives useful facts to us, keep it
up.
21 day fix nutrition guide / February 7, 2016 at 10:36 pm
2015年の新素材-新作!高品質 腕時計高品質の追求
超N品を良心価格で提供スーパーコピーブランドバッグ、財布、時計代引き専門店2015年人気最新品、新素材!
には、ルイヴィトンコピー、シャネルコピー、グッチコピー、コーチコピー、ロレックスコピー、プラダコピー、ブルガリ財布コピーその他小物等、ブランド品、、ルイヴィトン、PRADA、Coach、GUCCI、CHANEL、BVLGARI、デュポン、ROLEX時針各種海外有名ブランド品を豊富に取り揃え、しかもお客様を第一と考えて、驚きの低価格で提供しております。税関の没収する商品は再度無料にして発送します。広大な客を歓迎して買います!3-6日にきっと引き渡す.
brain fire Effect / February 8, 2016 at 03:22 am
It's amazing in support of me to have a web page, which is
beneficial for my experience. thankjs admin
astigmatism in eyes / February 9, 2016 at 05:52 am
At this time I am going to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming again to read
further news.
Http://titeurl.com/modded_controllers_870673 / February 9, 2016 at 06:04 am
Dominate with our modded video game controller playstation 4
18 facebook sex / February 9, 2016 at 07:18 pm
A lot of thanks a lot! Sufficient wisdom!
grosfillex garden tables / February 9, 2016 at 10:52 pm
All weather wicker furnishings can provide a beautiful complement to your outdoor and indoor residing spaces.
driptite / February 10, 2016 at 09:09 pm
My details is Ariane. Curling is just what her relations and her enjoy.
Procuring has been her regular job for sometime but your girlfriend promotion won't comes.
My your own home is nowadays in Section of Mexico and My partner and i love each and
every single day living here.
Cassandra / February 11, 2016 at 02:39 am
Famous crimson molecule, Breeze Jordan 10 retrogs "FusionRed"
rendition introduction initially the red colorization could possibly
be later on, the trend within your pump store, could be described as hip deed susceptible Jordan model in order to always does not
miss eating colour piece of paper is felt. As part of October this year, a set whole body protected and blue tropy rack
face component out of oxygen Jordan 10 retrogs peacefully down into the
collection of vision. Walking shoes through nuclear green frosted kinds elk the skin bootleg information on designing to get old fashioned
eventually got young best-selling interpreting
of the established tone. GS rendition to be male running sneakers
that its kick off and then for those that really love type
mistresses or small size from the toes of males.
On that heels the release particular date for the introduce whole has never been publicized women and
men shoes be pertaining to $a hundred and
fifty, even so need to await as if ally!
Luxury Swimwear / February 11, 2016 at 09:20 pm
Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my web site so i got here to go back the desire?.I am attempting to in finding things to enhance
my web site!I assume its adequate to use some of your ideas!!