Saturday, October 25, 2014Mostly Cloudy 10°C
Fashion & Style

5 stores to buy tile in Toronto

Posted by Guest Contributor / June 3, 2012

toronto tile storesWant to buy some tile in Toronto? Whether you're looking to re-tile a backsplash, a floor, or an entire bathroom, you'll need quality materials, and luckily Toronto is teeming with terrific tile stores. From the standard places like Tile Solutions and Weston Tile to unique shops like Tigro Restoration, a specialty tile and grout restoration company, Toronto is definitely a tile aficionado's paradise.

Here's my take on some of the better places in Toronto to shop for tile:

Olympia Tile (1000 Lawrence Avenue West)
Olympia Tile is a well-known Toronto hot spot for all the tiling materials one could possibly need. Olympia has sold tile for over 50 years, and with 28,000 square feet of space, the selection is unbeatable. They also run a Clearance center next door to their head office location, which is a mecca for thrifty renovators looking to complete a project on budget.

Saltillo Tiles (115 Tycos Dr.)
With products featured on HGTV's Sarah's Cottage, Saltillo Tiles is has a reputation for solid workmanship. They import materials from a variety of international locations and offer a unique array of patterns and products including natural stone, glass, terracotta, and mosaic materials. Stop by their showroom to take a look at what they have to offer.

The Tile Store (20 Bermondsey Rd., Unit 1)
If you're looking to save a little cash on your tile project, check out The Tile Store. With a wide range of products, offered at below retail prices, it's definitely worth a visit to their showroom. They offer porcelain, stone, mosaics, glass and metal tiles, and consultants are available on-site to discuss your tiling project.

Dufferin Tile (6911 Steeles Ave. West)
Dufferin Tile offers a variety of tile materials, but specializes mostly in ceramic. The vast majority of their product comes from Italy and includes porcelain, marble, granite, slate, travertine, and ceramic. Their 40,000 square foot warehouse is located in north-west Toronto and offers samples on a deposit system, so you can take a bunch of tiles home, decide which ones work best, and return the rest for your money back.

Keramin Tile (4400 Dufferin St. Unit-B2)
Sustainability and environmental consciousness is key to the operations at Keramin Tile. They have been green-certified by the International Organization of Standardization, an independent, non-profit body that publishes standards for a variety of industries. Keramin offers high quality ceramic, porcelain, granite and marble materials.

Writing by Julie Palmer. Photo by xSilentRob in the blogTO Flickr pool.

kyle / June 3, 2012 at 04:06 am
8 people were shot in the eatons centre and your worried about where to buy tile. what type of toronto site is this. Do all the writers choose to ignore any negative activity in the city?
steve replying to a comment from kyle / June 3, 2012 at 07:36 am
Life is not about cowering in your home afraid to go outside. The shooting at the Eaton centre is all over the news. We still live in a very safe city, one of the safest in North America.
Calm down and carry on with what you were doing.
clown replying to a comment from kyle / June 3, 2012 at 08:11 am
The world continues to turn, chicken little.

Saltillo Tile is by far my favourite tile joint.
Nice nice people, very good selection.

We got awesome 12x24 simple white tiles for our bathroom walls and 12x24 simple grey sleety tiles for the floor.

The key is, of course, to get a good tile installer and not some jackass who doesn't know what he's doing. You get what you pay for.
clown replying to a comment from kyle / June 3, 2012 at 08:11 am
Uh, slatey. Not sleety. Damn autocorrect.
W. K. Lis / June 3, 2012 at 09:07 am
I get my tiles at Tempo Tile Ltd., 853 Garyray Drive in the Steeles Avenue West and Fenmar Drive (south of Pine Valley Drive). The prices are lower than the other places, at least, what I like.
Qu replying to a comment from kyle / June 3, 2012 at 09:20 am
Shit happens.
Rob / June 3, 2012 at 10:04 am
The Tile District (right next to the Hammock District) is a pretty good place to shop, but Olympia can be a bit expensive. The experience at Dufferin isn't the greatest. They like to push people in and out and as quickly as possible.
cathie / June 3, 2012 at 10:17 am
Olympia tile - closed on Saturdays, not enough parking, not enough staff and whatever you want is usually out of stock. Pass.
Ratpick replying to a comment from kyle / June 3, 2012 at 11:15 am
If you are looking for 680 news, go to 680 news.

hellebelle / June 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm
i'm satisfied with my experiences at olympia. check out the clearance centre first though, as sometimes they'll have the same thing as the normal place but way cheaper. i got tiles for my shower stupid cheap there.
Honey / June 3, 2012 at 12:42 pm
You didn't mention Ciot? They have fantastic deals in the clearance area at the back, and a much nicer selection than Olympia, I find.
tim / June 3, 2012 at 01:23 pm
you didn't mentioned Ciot or Stone Tile, some of the best selection and showrooms in the city. Oh well, it is usually the case for BlogTO, limited resources I suppose, and it shows often enough to be noticed.
nom / June 3, 2012 at 01:35 pm
You're doing it to me again, bad headline writer! I'd like to know from whom the 5 stores will be buying tile in Toronto. Doesn't anybody edit this stuff?
Doug / June 3, 2012 at 04:20 pm
Big thumbs up for both Saltillo and Ciot. Great selection and experiences buying at both. Olympia is huge but I found solidly 'meh' on customer service.
tiler / June 3, 2012 at 04:22 pm
"5 stores to buy tile in Toronto"

BlogTO thinks this is English?
Justin replying to a comment from kyle / June 3, 2012 at 05:20 pm
8 people were shot at Eaton Centre and all you're concerned about is lambasting some people on a blog post on the internet about tiles. Get out there and hunt for clues, gobshite.
steve replying to a comment from Justin / June 3, 2012 at 06:11 pm
Honey you go right ahead. I am having a martini. I am confident the police can do their job. They are trained to catch the bad guys.
kevin / June 3, 2012 at 08:50 pm
does anyone know how the tile industry works? I'm curious about the markup etc vs. paying retail.

agreed that parking and service at olympia needs improvement.
Marie-Claude / June 6, 2012 at 03:19 pm
Hi all,

I just want to ad that Ciot has 3 stores in Toronto (Jane Street, Lawrence avenue and Mississauga) and as you said, one of the best selection of tiles in town. They also have beautiful stone slabs and tiles. Check it out! #Ciot
Vince / July 31, 2012 at 08:49 am
My wife and I had went to The Princess Margaret Lottery Grand Prize Home and fell in love with the decor. We asked a girl who was working there about which company had supplied all the tiles and mosaics for this beautiful home, and she told me it was a company called Stone Port. We went to their showroom and we were amazed with the service, selection and prices. You don't hear much about these guys because most of their business is distributing products to a lot of tile retailers throughout the city. If you're looking for beautiful and unique products at factory prices, I would give Stone Port a try.
Juli / August 14, 2012 at 02:05 pm
I was looking for tiles and mosaic for my bathroom project. I have been all over Jane & Lawrence shopping around, but found what I was looking for at Keramin Tiles. They have fabulous collections of tiles and mosaic so I could match both and get the look I was searching for. What I like is that store displays are beautifully organized and the store is nicely lit to highlight the tiles. The prices are competitive and you cannot beat the customer service. Plus I got free delivery which saved me a time and money.
So for me is not a surprise that Keramin is on top 5 tile stores.
Tiley / September 14, 2012 at 02:58 pm
Another nice store that I discovered by accident is 'Moscone' in Concord. Dufferin Tile was the most dissapointing in selection.
Tile Toronto / October 16, 2012 at 11:05 am
Great list of stores to buy tile Toronto area-wide. This is a helpful comprehensive resource for anyone looking for tile in Toronto. Thank you for putting this together and sharing it!
tom / November 14, 2012 at 08:46 pm
why shop olympia when they are closed saturday? why are they closed saturday and not sunday......
john / January 30, 2013 at 10:42 pm

TILER TILE SETTER INSTALLER TORONTO

TEL: 647-769-6069 JOHN

Tony / February 7, 2013 at 12:58 pm
We have found a new company called ORRO MOSAIC, they are located on Jane St, Where all the tile compnies are,

My wife and i have been shopping around town, for something unique and fair priced,
We have not seen a nicer selection of Tile in Toronto, and thei prices are very competitive to Olympia TIle, and especiall Saltillo,

The staff was super nice and very knonwledgeble, the first place we went to, where we did not feel pushed into buying , they actually took the time to educate us about the product and helped us find the product that we actully liked .

2 thumbs up for ORRO MOSAIC

Tony M.
Nancy / March 30, 2013 at 05:42 pm
DO NOT purchase tiles from Deco-Tile located in Toronto on Dupont Ave. We have always in the past purchase tiles from Olympia Tiles who provides great products and pricing, but this time around we unfortunately decided to purchase 12x24" tiles from Deco-Tile Inc as we knew the owner and what a mistake. The owner, John sold us on a tile which was end of the line as they will not be carrying the tile any more so we were offered a great price for it. Only problem is that the tiles were not consistent in size, not consistently 12x24". In the same box of tiles, some tiles were an 8th of an inch longer which is horrible when you want the grout line to be straight. When we called Deco-Tile to express our concerns to the owner and issue with the tiles, the owner simply said "I gave you a great deal on them, I told you they were the end of the line, and it's final sale". My understanding of what end of the line means is that they are no longer producing the tiles, but that does not mean the tiles will be irregular in sizing. If he had told us that the tiles were irregular in sizing, we would definitely not purchase these tiles. On top of which the owner of Deco-Tile start saying that it's the installer that's the problem and not the tiles, and that the installer should dry fit the tiles first. When there's 1200 square feet to be tile, how can the installer dry fit the tiles and also dry fitting does not fix the real issue of the tiles not being the same size. After Deco-Tile has your money, they don't care about the quality of the product they have sold you. Go to Olympia Tile to get great quality and pricing. Never again will we use another tile supply company.
Nancy replying to a comment from tom / March 30, 2013 at 05:44 pm
Olympia tile has Jewish owners and in their religion their Saturday is their day of rest whereas Catholics have Sunday as their day of rest. This is why Olympia tile is open on Sundays and closed on Saturdays.
tom replying to a comment from tom / March 30, 2013 at 09:58 pm
Nancy which Christian stores are closed on Sunday? Sunday was cancelled as a day of rest by Jews.
John / July 9, 2013 at 12:26 pm
You guys should definitely check out this new place called Turex Tile, they have very good competitive price and large selection of natural stones and porcelain tiles and their service wasn't bad at all compared to other stores on Jane St.
LIKA / July 9, 2013 at 11:27 pm
We got from tiles and mosaic for kitchen from Keramin at Dufferin & Finch.
We were searching for the tile stores in Toronto, found Keramin at here at blogTO and decided to visit them. They have loots to choose from, so it was a little difficult to make a decision. Sales rep helped us to match tiles & backsplash with the color of our kitchen. Price was OK as well as free delivery saved us time and hassle.
After finishing our project, we had box of tiles & several mosaics left. We returned it and got full refund. Now you can see photo of our new look kitchen at there web page :)
Franca / July 20, 2013 at 05:37 pm
Keramin tiles offers an incredible selection of gorgeous tiles at Incredible prices. I purchased Carrara marble tiles in two different patterns for both bathrooms and a stainless steel glass mosaic for my kitchen backsplash. I have received a multitude compliments ......
Erica / July 22, 2013 at 11:47 pm
Lika, as per your suggestion I've visited Keramin over the weekend to find bathroom marble tiles, they don't have proper showroom, very pushy salesmen who followed me every step, asked if I could see the skid to see variation since natural stone has it, and I was told its at another warehouse!!! which tells me that they buy everything in local. Ended up buying from Saltillo where I can see my actual purchase of tiles in their actual!!! warehouse.
Felix / August 1, 2013 at 12:58 am
I was doing porch renovation. By value/price Keramin won over other shops. Exceptional customer service on both sides - helping to choose the right porcelain tiles among wide selection, and manage actual installation. Everything was done in timely manner and very professional. Would definitely recommend to anyone who’s looking for the great selections of tiles. Top of the line quality too. Keep on, guys!
tony / August 4, 2013 at 01:08 pm
There is just on tile store i can refered to my friends. Turex tile . They are really good for service and quality. Really affordable and theyre trying to help you nit like working with your wallet. www.turextile.com
Dan / August 27, 2013 at 12:04 pm
I have to say hands down the tile store had the biggest selection of tiles I have ever seen. There prices were excellent and the staff helped me design my bathroom unlike other stores where they just take your order. I have been flipping homes for a few years and if I only knew about this place originally I would have saved a lot of money and probably made more money from using better tiles than originally used.
Xavier / September 11, 2013 at 10:00 pm
I also got my tiles and backsplash from Keramin. Lots of tiles to choose from, grate showroom!
My next project (stone for fireplace facing) will get from Keramin as well. Recommend Keramin to all of you!
andrea / September 14, 2013 at 01:24 am
You all dont know how to blog for toronto design/reno anything!
www.mettro.ca has it all!
service, quality, location and best of all amazing choices and so unique/one of a kind selections..no made in china copied stuff!!!
stop NOT knowing how to suggest places blogTO
levan / September 23, 2013 at 03:05 am
Welcome. Wonder if you have a place to work? I have 10 years of experience in working with ceramic tiles
john / October 5, 2013 at 08:30 pm
john tiling toronto

Offering quality workmanship at a fair price, we
value working closely with our clients to fulfill their tile design needs with
long-lasting results.

Specializing in stone tile installations,
including slate, marble, and granite and also using glass, ceramic, porcelain,
mosaic and metal for your backsplash. our use of quality setting materials and
installation methods help achieve stylish results that benefit your investment.
let john tiling help bring the look you are trying to achieve in your home to
life! call us today to get your project started. it’s well worth your time.

tel:647-769-6654
Website: http://johntilin1.wix.com/john-tiling
Jenifer / October 15, 2013 at 05:12 pm
Keramin team came to my condo yesterday to install backsplash and they did such a wonderful job!! I read through all of the reviews on several websites about how the jobs they’ve done previously were great, but I was still worried. They did such a terrific job, and I’m so happy that I went through Keramin for both tiles and installation. I look forward to getting tiling done for both my washrooms in the future.

InfRon / February 17, 2014 at 08:13 am
Thanks for Sharing the Best Places to Buy tiles in Toronto. I also want to share the Best place to Buy Exterior Stone Veneer, Faux Stone Veneer in Toronto. For more products click here Manufactured Stone Veneer or visit www.infinitystoneexteriors.com
Manufactured Stone Veneer / February 17, 2014 at 08:15 am
Thanks for Sharing the Best Places to Buy tiles in Toronto. I also want to share the Best place to Buy Exterior Stone Veneer, Faux Stone Veneer in Toronto. For more products visit http://www.infinitystoneexteriors.com
Robert / March 6, 2014 at 11:18 am
Since I live in the east end my wife and I went to the Tile Store on Bermondsey. Nice place a cramped and full of everything staff were nice but not to knowledgeable. We ended up buy from Antica Tile up the road from it beautiful showroom, very helpful staff and their clearance sections has amazing deals. The best part is that they stock everything they carry. We did our kitchen with Antica and plan to go back for our bathroom.
how do you make a website youtube.com video / March 6, 2014 at 07:13 pm
Wow, awesome weblog structure! How lengthy have you
been running a blog for? you make blogging look easy.
The entire glance of your site is great, as smartly as the content!
Bob / March 14, 2014 at 06:01 am
anyone know about Ciot? how many stores they have totally in Canada?
Paritosh / March 22, 2014 at 11:21 pm
We also had purchased tiles for bathroom from Keramin and we had their installers installing it for us. What a great job Keramin’s tile fitters did on my bathroom.
The finish now looks simply superb. Keramin gave me a lot of advice beforehand and I really appreciate their expertise and professional approach to the job I asked them to do.
THEY DESERVE TO BE IN TOP 5!
Jane replying to a comment from tom / July 11, 2014 at 06:51 pm
This is in response to the comment on why Olympia is closed sat and not sun. Olympia has excellent prices!
Brent / July 28, 2014 at 05:05 pm
KERMIN = sufferin'

Basic selection, prices are better at big box....staff is unprofessional and shady.
!!!Buyer beware!!!
Brent / July 28, 2014 at 05:13 pm
Ps KERAMIN also puts up fake positive reviews....so watch out!! BUYER BEWARE
Alan Kramer / August 25, 2014 at 10:45 pm
Brent; Looks like Competitors WAR on Blog TO,
Keramin was named Top 5 by Blog TO, so some of the replays are real :)...
Joel Lam / September 8, 2014 at 07:44 pm
I have been at Home Deport looking for tiles and mosaic, and didn't seen anything I like. That is why I hate shopping in big chain stores, choice is always limited....
For me the best to shop at store which specializing certain group of products, tiles or hardwood or lighting.
Choice is better and you can bargain on the price if you know how to do it.
That is why I agree with Blog TO selection of top 5 tile stores.

Tanika K. Kelton / September 23, 2014 at 09:07 am
I like looking through a post that will make men and women think.
Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!
Keena R. Marlor / September 24, 2014 at 01:01 am
You are so interesting! I do not think I have read through a single thing like this before.
So nice to discover somebody with a few genuine thoughts on this topic.

Really.. thanks for starting this up. This website is something that is required on the internet, someone with some originality!
Roseanna C. Seanez / September 24, 2014 at 02:17 am
After I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked the -Notify
me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on each
time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the exact same comment.

Is there a means you are able to remove me from that service?
Thank you!
Clarine Q. Rviz / September 30, 2014 at 12:30 pm
This is a very good tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere.
Brief but very precise info… Thanks for sharing this one.
A must read article!
Troyan / October 19, 2014 at 11:51 pm
Try Dragona flooring,(search in GOOGLE), you will be surpriced by their prices.
Roman / October 19, 2014 at 11:57 pm
Try to find first a reliable and professional contractor, ask their opinion on your project and design, ask them where is the best deal currently for tiles that you want to get and they will direct you in a right way. Very often they have discounts from suppliers and can offer you best ever deal when you will finally decide to hire them !!! Good luck with your project!!!