Sunday, October 26, 2014Partly Cloudy 8°C
Fashion & Style

Where to get shoes repaired in Toronto

Posted by Robyn Urback / January 31, 2012

Shoe Repair TorontoShoe repair in Toronto might seem like a dated practice to some, but for those of us who have spent far too much on a pair of heels or picked up a pair of one-of-a-kind vintage boots, it's a godsend. These cobblers can restore Birkenstocks to their former glory or stretch pumps borne from a trigger-happy purchase, while some select few can actually whip you up a pair from nothing. Great value and quick turnaround are obvious pluses, but when it comes to your cherished vintage Prada boots, it's more about who can really get the job right. Here are some places to get a shoe repaired in Toronto.

Cobblers Corner, 13 Erskine Avenue (416.486.7463)
This place just sounds like epitome of old-school shoe repair. Off of Yonge a few blocks north of Eglinton, Cobblers Corner is generally an one-man operation that will do everything from repairing broken heels to salvaging salt-stained sneakers. Prices are very reasonable, and service is always friendly.

Kaner's Handbag and Shoe Repair, 110 Bloor Street W (416.920.9982)
Ask anyone in the Yorkville area who to trust with your prized Jimmy Choo's, and they'll inevitable direct you to Kaner's. A bit of a hidden gem on the concourse level of Bloor Street between Bay and Avenue, Kaner's prices are incredibly low despite its typical high-end clientele. Kaner's will even replace the red soles of your Louboutins if you're reckless enough to actually wear them outside.

Village Cobbler, 260 Durie Street (416.769.0586)
Village Cobbler is Bloor West's answer to old-fashioned shoe repair. While the retail section of the shop offers a small selection of purses, bags, belts, and other accessories, the repair service is clearly the bread and butter. Village Cobbler also does stretching, dying, and custom details.

Shoe Therapy, 1108 Bay Street (416.916.3928)
A little pricier than some of the other spots on this list, but Shoe Therapy does it all — including creating custom pairs of shoes. Beyond catering to the Bay and Bloor crowd, Shoe Therapy makes its services available to those throughout Canada and abroad (call it confidence, or whatever) through its online order and delivery service. The shop also offers one-day turnaround and free cleaning with all repairs.

Nick's Shoe Repair, 169 Dupont St (416.924.5930)
Nick's is a family-owned shop at Dupont and Davenport known as one of the best places to go in Toronto for a custom pair of boots or shoes. And since they know how to make them, they obviously know how to repair them too. This is the shoe repair shop for you if you've worn your Birkenstocks down to a hard, foot-molded frame, or you want to get at least another few winters out of your old UGG boots (for some reason). Staff are extremely knowledgeable and generally help you to get the best bang for your buck.

Sandalman Leathercare, 1181 Davenport Road (416.533.6335)
Despite its name, this throwback-style shop at Davenport and Oakwood does more than just sandals. Operated by Cory Bernatt, this is the place to go for leather re-conditioning, alterations, zipper work, and even upholstery repairs. Pretty much all leather service can be accommodated here. Oh, and the custom-made sandals and sandal repair services are top-notch, too.

Novelty Shoe Rebuilders, 119 Yonge St (416.364.8878)
Novelty has been on the same spot on Yonge since 1932, and though owner Paul Abate retired a few years ago, the team left to take over the reign has maintained his reputation for precision. Novelty has replaced zippers and repaired buckles for the likes of Julie Andrews, Gordon Lightfoot, MIckey Rooney, and can too help restore your leather boots if you forget to protect them before heading out in the salt and slush. If there's one place in Toronto that's likely to take on your difficult shoe request, Novelty is probably it.

Rocco Shoe Repair, 1432E Danforth Avenue
This tiny shoe repair shop is nothing much to look at, but the work speaks for itself. Rocco knows his way around a heel (plus dying, stretching, resoling, etc.), and will also do basic repairs on belts and other accessories. Rocco's has a cobbler-in-the-country type feel, with a much more accessible Danforth and Coxwell location.

Sole Survivor, 16 Kensington Ave (647.995.3306)
Equipped with an awesome name (which is perhaps a subtle commentary on the state of the cobbling industry), Sole Survivor in Kensington Market does not, unlike most others, have a 75-year-old man listed as proprietor. Instead, it's 20-something Katie Reed who, despite her youth, uses those same tried and true old-school techniques to amend and repair your shoes, boots, and heels. She probably won't blink if you ask for vegan leather either.

Mr. Presto Shoe Repair, TD Centre (416.216-8628)
This hole-in-the-wall repair shop is well-placed to repair the diamonds on the soles of Bay Street's power-brokers. Not a specialty store, you're pretty safe bringing in all your shoe repair needs here, where you can expect professional service and decent turn-around times. They'll also give you a quote on your service needs before you commit, so there won't be any surprises.

Photo by Stephen Caissie in the blogTO Flickr pool

LMIH / January 31, 2012 at 10:17 am
References to Birkenstocks and Uggs in an article about shoe repair really undermines the credibility of the authors ability to judge anything related to shoes and footwear.
terry Carter / January 31, 2012 at 10:49 am
Lighten up baby!
laurie / January 31, 2012 at 10:53 am
just an FYI - the sandalman won't repair shoes. maybe sandals as you say, but i took another pair of leather shoes there and he turned me away.
the lemur replying to a comment from LMIH / January 31, 2012 at 11:04 am
Do you think it helps a shoe repair place to be similarly snobby about footwear? And I guess you missed the part where the author casts doubt on why someone would want to continue wearing Uggs.
Guy / January 31, 2012 at 11:39 am
Got the topy replaced on a pair of my boots at Shoe Therapy a couple weeks back. Probably on the pricier side, but their work has held up well. They took some time to laugh at the workmanship of the previous one!
Jen / January 31, 2012 at 12:24 pm
Fine Shoe Sales & Repair at Danforth and Jones (845 Danforth Ave) has been replacing the heels and soles of my boots for years! Great service.
mister_E / January 31, 2012 at 12:52 pm
I purchased a pair of Blundstone Safety shoes and after about 4 months of wearing them the nail plate pushed through the sole of the shoe. It's never nice when a pair of $200 work boots don't last a year. After owning a regular pair of Blundstone's for ten years I decided to check out cobblers. A quick online search brought me to Shoe Therapy. They have a pretty nice website and took them there to get repaired. As mentioned, they are pricey. It cost just under $100 to have the nail plates removed (at least I hope they are gone) and new soles installed. But they did a good job and have now lasted a year. They have a wide selection of vibram soles. My only complaint is that the sole is a little slick for indoor applications, but I should have specified that they were going to be used indoors exclusively.
Chris / January 31, 2012 at 01:26 pm
Yiorgos The Cobbler
5 Dorval Rd (Dundas West & Bloor)
joe / January 31, 2012 at 01:36 pm
There's a little place on the main floor of 777 Bay (at College)
Andrew / January 31, 2012 at 01:42 pm
Word of warning to anyone in Little Italy - Don't go to the tiny shop near the metro grocery store. The people that run it are very dishonest and the work was not on time, or done correctly.
Harma replying to a comment from Jen / January 31, 2012 at 01:44 pm
That place looks like it's a gambling den.
nathan / January 31, 2012 at 01:51 pm
Of course, hipsters need to feel bohemian and have their Birkenstocks cleaned!
Gordon / January 31, 2012 at 01:57 pm
Does anyone know where you can buy "good" shoe polish? I'm finding that cheap polish (especially Dollar Store crap) is crap.
scottd / January 31, 2012 at 03:42 pm
For eccentric show repair try "Yiorgos The Cobbler" on Dorval near Dundas West. A well kept West End secret.
Jess replying to a comment from joe / January 31, 2012 at 07:31 pm
I agree -- College Shoe Repair at College Park is fantastic and really quick! I've brought all of my boots and my bf's boots to be resoled this month.
joe replying to a comment from Jess / January 31, 2012 at 10:46 pm
Thanks for reminding me of the name... I guess I should've been able to guess. A friend of mine gets her boots and shoes fixed there all the time.
Teddy / February 1, 2012 at 09:00 am
Kaner's is by far the best in the city! They are the only place I trust to fix my expensive shoes. They do an incredible job!
bill / February 1, 2012 at 11:08 am
anybody know where to get boots dyed? or will all the places do it?
Andrew / February 1, 2012 at 11:33 am
Nick's Shoe Repair 169 Dupont St. These guys are the most awesome. Re-soled and repaired my Blundstones, and guaranteed their work. Genuinely nice guys too!
kale / February 1, 2012 at 07:16 pm
since when does robyn urback know everything about everything? since when is she a credible source? has she even taken a pair of each shoe to each cobbler and looked at the workmanship of each person?
Martha replying to a comment from kale / February 3, 2012 at 09:55 pm
She's not claiming to. She simply compiled a list of places that do shoe repair in the city and a few facts that make them each unique. Nowhere does she rank them or deem any the best service. I think this article is very helpful and informative.
Gloria / February 5, 2012 at 05:15 pm
Definitely do NOT go to Mr. Soles (the little place near Metro on College). Bad work, sloppy timelines.

Re; shoe polish, talk to Nick's Shoe Repair and describe what you're looking for. They'll help.
Alanna / March 6, 2012 at 10:33 pm
Do not go to Mr Presto (the location in Royal Bank Plaza). I took my shoes there on two different locations - the first time it took him 3 months to return my boots (even after I pestered him everyday) and the second time, he cut the leather on my favorite shoes while changing the heel cap, and tried to lie about it when I asked him what happened. I'm not the first person he's done it to either!
natasha / July 3, 2012 at 02:58 pm
I would not exactly say Mr.Presto is a great place. I have been waiting for my purse to be fixed for over a month and he just gives a a run around time frame. I have had items repaired before and he was able to get it done in a week, but my purse he tells me to come on Monday and I do then he told me to come on Thursday and I do then he tells me Wednesday.He make me feel like I should not be bothering him by asking where is my purse. When I brought the bag in he did not give me a slip. When I asked for a slip he told me he will remember. He doesn't remember. Don't go to TD Mr.Presto
ShoeShopper replying to a comment from joe / October 25, 2012 at 09:05 am
Hi! I agree with those who have mentioned College Park's shoe repair... I had a vintage pair of leather boots - they cleaned them right up. Look better than new. New soles too.
sleepy / October 31, 2012 at 07:17 am
Anyone know a good place that can repair a heel that has snapped in half, but in the downtown core? I've been told I have to go midtown to get it repaired..
matthew / November 29, 2012 at 07:13 pm
i went to sarvin shoe store and they did a great job for fixing my shoes and i sent my friends there too!
you will be 100% satisfied
matthew / November 29, 2012 at 07:13 pm
sarvin.ca
Alli / December 2, 2012 at 07:02 pm
There is a shoe repair at Queen & Yonge lower level of the CIBC Branch. If you go to the right of the ATM's around the corner on the right you will spot it. The owners are honest and trustworthy. If you bring in your shoes on Monday they are usually fixed by Thursday.

Also there is another shoe repair store at Shoppers World Danforth across from Dollarama. I haven't tried them yet.
Tom / January 31, 2013 at 04:28 pm
Avoid Rocco's on the Danforth at all costs. Feel sorry for the guy, shoes piled high, no system, no phone + he lost an expensive pair of boots. Tried to give business to a local independent......
Catherine / March 2, 2013 at 11:33 am
I echo Tom's comments re: Rocco.

I took several pairs of women's shoes into him a few years ago. Proudly swaggering upon my return, he produced my lovely red shoes, navy shoes, ivory shoes, etc. -- all finished with the same standard brown polish! My shoe wardrobe was ruined in one fell swoop. It looked like I kicked a dog in the backside, with every pair of stilettos.

I gave him one more chance a few years later, with my husband's boots. It was a safer bet. Although the repair was good in the end, he didn't have the boots ready on the pick up day (a wasted trip) -- and couldn't find the shoes when I came in again to claim them. I found them myself on a pile of what looked like old, abandoned shoes.

I prefer to support local businesses, but they have to measure up to get my support.
Jennifer / March 31, 2013 at 10:25 pm
I used to live at Yonge and Eglinton and would take my heels to "Cobbler's Corner". The new heels last longer than the original ones. Always an outstanding job! I'm on King West now and still go all the way uptown to get my shoes re-heeled.
Sole Perfection Shoe Repair / April 8, 2013 at 12:59 am
New shoe repair location in Vaughan/Maple at Dufferin and Major Mackenzie! A brand new era of shoe repair. 700 square feet of shoe accessories. We have an amazing selection of shoe accesories and insoles.. In addition to all your leather, zipper, shoe, luggage, and handbag repair - we also offer knife sharpening, skate sharpening, and key cutting, hi-tech auto chip key and laser style auto keys. Check us out at our website for details. Guaranteed Professional Service!
1460 Major Mackenzie Dr.
Maple, Ont. L6A 4H6
905.832.9545

AILEEN / April 27, 2013 at 10:16 pm
Another name that needs to be added to this list is TINOS SHOE REPAIR on Ossington and Bloor, right across from Ossington Stn. Very courteou and old-fashioned Korean man who knows what he's doing. My puppy chewed my wooden heels right off of my booties rendering them unsalvageable. The man altered my heels to amazing condition by adding his own touch... amazing.
maral sethian replying to a comment from Gordon / May 1, 2013 at 12:52 pm
Moneysworth & Best shoe polish - Walmart, Canadian Tire, The Bay, Sears
matt / July 4, 2013 at 01:34 pm
No BS - Stay away if you want anything fixed in a normal time frame. The guy that runs the place will, without shame, tell you to come back tomorrow for months on end. Compounding things, they really don't know how to properly fix shoes or bags. If it involves anything beyond some glue they will botch the job and call it done. Stay away and avoid the the epic frustration that I endured. Novelty on Yonge, where I have since gone to have things repaired (a second time) is fast and they do things right. I work in the area and have zero affiliation with any of these businesses. I've written this because the dimwit at Mr. Presto took many months to not fix multiple items. I want all you readers to avoid the same frustration
matt / July 4, 2013 at 01:35 pm
REGARDING MR. PRESTO IN TD CENTER - FINANCIAL DISTRICT

audrey / August 7, 2013 at 02:07 am
777 Bay St. on the main level. A small walk up desk next to a nail salon. I have been going there for years, prices are very reasonable and the quality of the work superb. I have had heel tips, toes and partial or complete sole work done. he has given several pairs of shoes multiple years of life in this era of disposable economy. He also fixes small leather goods like belts or handbags depending on the type of repair.
audrey / August 7, 2013 at 02:14 am
777 Bay St. cobbler is called "College Shoe Repair" thanks earlier posting.
VDLF / August 18, 2013 at 09:15 am
AVOID ROCCO'S ON DANFORTH / MONARCH PARK.
This is the third comment in this thread which is negative about Rocco's, and there are no positive comments.

I took in a nice Roots leather belt to have it shortened, since a) it was generous when I received it as a gift, and b) I lost some weight.

We had a clear agreement that he would shorten it at the BUCKLE end.

Took 3 weeks to have it completed.
I found he simply CUT THE END of the belt shorter. This means that there are now holes going right to the end of the belt, which is not presentable. Belts always have several inches of "no holes" at the end.

He just ruined a $50 belt which cannot be worn again with any sense of presentability.

I will buy a new replacement belt, take the receipt to him with the recently mangled belt, and ask him to reimburse me for essentially ruining my goods.
Livid, to say the least.
Rita / September 21, 2013 at 04:49 pm
I have always had a problem with boots and my calf size. I recently bought a pair from Brown's at the Eaton's Center because they said they know a cobbler who is an expert at altering boots. They gave me his flyer and I went to him. He did an AMAZING job for a VERY good price. I finally have a solution! I would recommend him to anyone that experiences the same problem as I! www.bootalterations.com
Sebastian / October 20, 2013 at 11:13 am
NEVER go to the little shop on St. Clair by the metro - the service is terrible, doesnt do good work and he's rude, crazy and racist.

Very shady place!!
Melonie / October 25, 2013 at 05:02 pm
Is there a decent shoe repair place near Bathurst and Wilson?
Sandra / December 22, 2013 at 11:42 am
Was just at Kaner's at 110 Bloor St West and it's NOT a hidden gem. Maybe they are nice to people who are long time customers, but for first time walk-ins they are extremely condescending and made me feel like I was trying to shoplift shoelaces fergodsakes. A lot of attitude for such a run-down little place. Won't be back, too bad I could have given them a lot of future business.
Michael / January 2, 2014 at 02:03 pm
I'll probably be going by College Shoe Repair myself. It's right down the street from work and I've been going there to purchase tongue pads for some of my shoes on occasion. They look like a quality operation and the man behind the counter seems friendly.
matt / January 6, 2014 at 04:54 pm
if anybody lives around Markham or northYork the best place you can go and fix you leather shoes and bags is sarvin i went there couple of times and im really happy with their job.
here is the website http://sarvin.ca/
Bill / January 29, 2014 at 05:26 pm
Does anyone know of a shoe repair shop that will replace the ankle straps and vamps on stripper style 7.5 inch heels? We have a pair of dancer shoes we'd like to have set up with new ankle straps and vamps.
Gas Boiler Engineer / March 22, 2014 at 06:31 pm
I wish that more homeowners would understand the serious dangers posed by carbon monoxide poisoning.
Each year over twenty people are killed by this odourless,
colourless gas leaking from faulty central heating boilers
together with hundreds more who suffer serious health problems caused by it.
howard / March 25, 2014 at 11:57 am
What about Howard's shoe repair 240 runnymede road it has been here since1927 i have been here for 18 years
barbalala / May 28, 2014 at 02:22 pm
I went to Sandalman Leathercare on Davenport to see if they could repair a small 1-inch tear in my leather jacket and they told me they would do it for $80. I politely declined and went to Sole Survivor since my friend recommended them to me.
They did it for $10 and were so nice there!
Mike replying to a comment from AILEEN / May 28, 2014 at 02:41 pm
Agreed about TINOS at bloor and ossington. He has fixed up my shoes (I wear them every day to work and he fixes them every three months to make them like new), my leather bags and cases, my work boots. Everything for prices that make me feel bad, they're so cheap! I actually offer to pay more. A sidenote - one bag he fixed he did for $35 - the Sandalman had quoted me $250!!!!!
Jason / July 12, 2014 at 11:17 pm
Went to Rocco's to get my Blundstone boots resoled. Went to pick them up 5 weeks later (he said 4 weeks), didn't even touch them. Said to come back in a week. Went back 2 weeks later, boots still not touched. Took them home. Never go! 7 weeks they sat there and didn't even touch them.
Leons Boot Alterations / July 30, 2014 at 10:09 am
Needs your Boots taken-in or widened. We SPECIALIZE in Boot Alterations. Located in Vaughan, Ontario, Leon's Boot Alterations is your perfect destination for all BOOT related issues. With over 25+ years experience, we will customize your boots to give you the perfect fit, regardless of your calves size!
Steph / August 4, 2014 at 10:40 pm
If you're in the East End, DO NOT venture into Nerik's at Vic Park and Gerrard. After destroying a much-loved and very expensive pair, he held them hostage until i paid for the damage so that i could then turn around and spend a small fortune having them restored... never the same, though...
kfmdgof / August 5, 2014 at 12:03 am
DEFINITELY TINOS at bloor and ossington!!! He's incredible and super nice too! Good work, low prices.
old shoe / August 5, 2014 at 07:32 am
Novelty Shoe Rebuilders is a bit pricey but when they fix your shoes you have them for life
Man foot shoe / August 5, 2014 at 05:39 pm
Marco's Shoe Repair on Church, just east of Yonge where Davenport ends and Church begins. I went to him for the first time and he did a great job on a nice pair of brown leather shoes of mine. He is now my "go-to" for show repair.
Elquar / August 6, 2014 at 08:02 am
Another excellent shoe repair shop: Jose Shoe Repair on Carlton St, just west of Parliament. Lovely place, and excellent work.
Alex / August 7, 2014 at 04:06 pm
1181 Davenport Rd. SANDALMAN does not repair shoes and have not done so in 33 years, according to the person who answered the phone today.
Le / August 9, 2014 at 01:45 pm
Phil's shoe service on Dufferin and St. Clair
Susanna / August 13, 2014 at 12:08 am
I second the comment about Jose Shoe Repair at Carlton & Ontario. Very nice man, always does a great job, doesn't charge much. I've taken my shoes to him for years.
Barbara Nyke / September 15, 2014 at 10:14 am
I highly recommend the "Shoe Clinic" in North York, located a few blocks north of Leslie & Sheppard at 4811 Leslie St. in a small plaza. 416.496.1315

Amir Afrasiabi owns and runs the shop providing excellent service for general & custom repairs at very reasonable prices. He specializes in custom orthopedic repair.

Over the last two years, I've taken boots, shoes, handbags, belts and my salsa dance shoes for repair..Amir is my go-to guy for quality work.
Jim / September 19, 2014 at 03:51 pm
I have been going to Centre Shoe Clinic inside the Yonge Eglinton Centre for about 10 years. They do incredible work.
MondayJane / October 24, 2014 at 01:17 pm
Mr. Sole's on College/Crawford - filthy shop, rude service, ridiculous prices, cheapest repair materials, long timelines and worst of all the sloppiest workmanship I have seen in a long time. Never. Again.
Rob / October 24, 2014 at 01:58 pm
I've gone to Novelty for most of my shoe-related work (mainly just getting topys put on leather soled shoes). They do good work, and I've never had a problem with them. There may be places that are slightly cheaper, but if it's a good pair of shoes, it's worth going somewhere that you can trust.

Additional tip: They carry Colonil Waterstop shoe polish. This is identical to the "Allen Edmonds Premium Polish" that you can buy at Harry Rosen, etc., but much cheaper.