Monday, April 21, 2014Mostly Cloudy 12°C
Fashion & Style

Can Steve Yzerman make The Bay relevant again?

Posted by Kevin Naulls / October 5, 2010

Yzerman The BayThe West End Shop has launched at the Queen St. Bay location at Yonge and Queen, with gold medal winner Alex Bilodeau and multiple Stanley Cup recipient Steve Yzerman as the faces of the new Bay lifestyle.

Getting to the new contemporary space is as simple as going to the dated old one. As you journey up the escalator, exit on the second floor and make a right.

Yzerman The BayWhilst walking you'll notice a grand scale wall of Hugo Boss designs and steps further a new wall, but this time outfitted with rows upon rows of Ben Sherman's latest offerings. Each designer wall boasts an assortment of collared shirts, but nothing but the volume grabs my attention - it is nice to see a wide selection, because most mainstream retailers will have a collared shirt in blue, black, white and grey. Sometimes pink if it is in season, but mostly the essentials to keep profits high and overstock low.

Yzerman The BayFurther still is a section dedicated to Christopher Wicks' label English Laundry, who oddly enough teamed with Scott Weiland. It really isn't to my taste, but it seems like the perfect option for rock star dads, John Gosselin and Billy Ray Cyrus - patches, trimmed plaid shirts and faded denim shirts with distressing at the stitching are just a few of the options available to you at the West End Shop.

Yzerman The BayThe Bay has made some pretty powerful changes in a year, with the re-ignition of a an outdated 'Room' to cornering a segment of Toronto's menswear market . The question is, can you dig it? I applaud the efforts of a giant corporate retail environment that takes risks. Everything may not sell, but The Bay knows there is a need for an update.

Yzerman The BayAs menswear grows, so will the Bay, and maybe - just maybe - men can be a touch less casual and a bit more adventurous. Perhaps the West End Shop is the tipping point Toronto menswear has been looking for. I'll be watching.

Yzerman The BayYzerman The BayYzerman The BayYzerman The BayPhotos by Jonathan Loek

scottd / October 5, 2010 at 01:32 pm
Allan / October 5, 2010 at 01:41 pm
Ew. Why is that trainwreck and ugly see you next tuesday Sarah in these pictures. I swear I met her one time when she was a nobody and just starting at Much Music and she was such a huge snob.
Mr. Banning / October 5, 2010 at 01:49 pm
I was actually surprised by the increase in excellent designer menswear at the Bay. I would LOVE to see MORE. But I think that they are on the right path!
PMK / October 5, 2010 at 01:49 pm
I'm a huge Steve Yzerman fan, but unless he's being hired to fix The Bay's craptacular service I think it's a lost cause.

Ever try finding someone to ACTUALLY sell you something? Even worse, try asking for help. Yikes!

From their shitty attitudes you'd think Bay employees were unionized civil servants.
AV / October 5, 2010 at 02:07 pm
Anyone ever been to the 4th floor at The Bay (yonge/bloor)? Friggin' Kosovo up there its so barren
Michael / October 5, 2010 at 02:23 pm
Menswear in Toronto is a barren wasteland - everybody stocks exactly the same styles, which is great if you like it but usually misses (for me, anyway). It's nice to see The Bay try and shake things up a bit, if it's successful then the other retailers will follow.
TheRealJohnson / October 5, 2010 at 02:25 pm
In addition to his multiple cups, Stevie won a gold medal for Canada in 2002. The first sentence makes it seem as though Alexandre Bilodeau is the sole gold-medal winner in this story (and actually Steve's got two after the team he put together won gold when he was acting as the Executive Director of team Canada in 2010). Just saying...
copperkitten / October 5, 2010 at 02:40 pm
I find the Bay redundant in today's marketplace - in a world of online shopping and specialty stores wandering around the Bay seems like a lost cause. Now, if the couple in the last picture were actually representative of the clothing I could find at the Bay and online I might reconsider.
Michael replying to a comment from copperkitten / October 5, 2010 at 03:21 pm
Some people like to see and touch (not to mention try on) clothing before they buy it - you can't do that online.

Greg / October 5, 2010 at 07:32 pm
Can't blame the people who went. I'd go. Free booze and Stevie Y.
Will / October 5, 2010 at 08:22 pm
The Bay needs to become the Abercrombe&Fitch of the north.
Mario Lemieux / October 5, 2010 at 11:13 pm
I spent 40 minutes looking for shirts for work and found nothing. They're all ugly and they're all exactly $85 (how does that work?). I hope Steve fixes this!
anon replying to a comment from Will / October 5, 2010 at 11:32 pm
you mean to repackage the same crap season after season, sell sex more than clothes, and spray that awful stench everywhere in the store? why would we want that?
j replying to a comment from Allan / October 6, 2010 at 02:32 pm
I was going to write something along those lines. Thanks for saying it for me!
DanBro / October 6, 2010 at 04:55 pm
I think the Bay should have paid more attention to detail when promoting. The main backdrop is full of fingerprints (in the first pic).

Lily / October 6, 2010 at 07:01 pm
The West End Shp isn't half as strong as the Room. Addingba Polo Ralph Lauren section was a step in the right direction, but the brands in the actual shop need improvement. The Room has countless fantastic names, it's time for the men too!
Dunie / October 7, 2010 at 06:15 pm
Good move for the Bay Store with an all Canadian turn out.
Steve, Alex and Brian, are the icing on the cake and look sharp too.
Chad B. / November 16, 2010 at 09:17 pm
The Bay's West End Shop needs to bring in new and emerging designers, and maybe even consider a 'fashion lab' concept. Bring in Margiela, Rick Owens, Balmain, and the like. Like Lily said, try something like 'The Room', but for men. The Bay would be surprised how successful this might be...I'd drop thousands at a department store that could successfully challenge Selfridge's in London or Printemps in Paris.