Thursday, October 23, 2014Partly Cloudy 8°C
Fashion & Style

Topshop in Toronto

Posted by Kevin Naulls / June 19, 2010

Topshop TorontoTopshop has opened in Toronto, and like a dad reacting to an adjusted thermostat, girls freaked out. Go ahead, search Toronto and Topshop to see the endless retweeting of news that Jackie O' Brien (Jonathan + Olivia vendeuse) had acquired the global favourite.

O' Brien had the everywoman in mind when she decided to house the Topshop brand in her Ossington-situated boutique:

"I thought about the clothes I always wanted to wear when I was a teenage girl. Have you seen the denim cut off shorts with the hearts? I remember wanting something just like it when I was a girl and it was at that moment that I knew I had to have them for the store."

This discussion inspired thoughts of painting white out shapes on clothes, puff paint and bedazzled anything - it's the kind of nostalgia that sells fast fashion to adults, but remains fun enough to attract the tween market as well.

Topshop TorontoFast Fashion

When you're talking fast fashion, trend pieces are the focus, so Topshop offers some essentials that you may have been hard-pressed to find in Toronto.

A pair of faded floral dungarees ($115) reminded me of Eldin Bernecky and although it isn't a solid, the muted pattern offers a subtle pop of colour that does not distract. If anything, it provokes a spectator to inspect more closely, to see what is giving your Murphy Brown-era paint job that little extra something.

Topshop TorontoContinuing with colour, a popular item that was attracting a lot of attention was a graphic, multi-coloured racer-back tank (viscose, $80). A small apron at the hem provides a flutter effect - coupled with the lightweight viscose, the airy quality of the garment indicated it was an essential summer staple.

Dig harem pants, but haven't been able to justify the high fashion price tag? Topshop has you covered with a pair for the cool price of $115 - paired with a seasonally on-trend crop top, the look is integral for your 80s/90s renaissance.

Topshop TorontoIf you are into a tapered, skinny pair of denim, you can find a variety of washes for $89. The looks range from a faded grey to dark blue, so pick your poison (at such an affordable price, why stop at one?).

I was really into a pocketed khaki-tone vest, belted at the back to create some structure, but flowy and casual at the front for contrast ($115). It was the piece to have and hands were grabbing at it like candy, so make it a priority this Saturday, when Top Shop launches to the public at 9am.

Other pieces that will give you more fashion bang for your buck:

• mesh top with lace applique and bronze stud embellishment on the shoulder ($115)
  • 100% cotton jacket/blazer with contrasting cream lining in the sleeve to offer a surprise detail when you're rolling. Even more sweet is the peep leopard & red bow lining on the inside back ($120)
  • A basic, short-sleeve nylon slip is an essential basic for only $52 - this will sell out tomorrow, without question.
  • Camel clogs with nail head accent ($155)

TopShop TorontoSize Matters

One key acknowledgment that Jackie O' Brien wanted to touch on when buying her Topshop stock was a counterpoint to the idea that there is a one-size-fits-best rule for fashion. Toronto's Topshop will carry full size breaks (UK 6-16/ US/CAN 2-12) to ensure that every woman is covered (or will be (quite literally) by Saturday).

The press has been incredible and since Jackie's expecting a rush, do not be discouraged if you do not find your must-have pieces in store come Monday. The Toronto location will be following the same shipping schedule as the Oxford Circus space in London (UK), which means - beginning this month - new stock will be rotated in weekly. After the rush and buzz, stock rotation will taper down to a bi-weekly schedule, but that is still pretty darn fast.

Official launch:

Saturday, June 19 (Today) at 9:00 am, Jonathan + Olivia (49 Ossington Ave)

Regular Hours, post-launch:

Monday to Friday 12-7
Saturday 11-6
Sunday 1-5

TopShop TorontoTopShop Toronto

photos by Angela Y Martin

O Mazz / June 19, 2010 at 11:19 am
Is this TOPSHOP as in Kate Moss' Topshop?
That leopard dress is fabulous...
MH / June 19, 2010 at 12:47 pm
"Toronto's Topshop will carry full size breaks (UK 6-16/ US/CAN 2-12) to ensure that every woman is covered (or will be (quite literally) by Saturday)."

Um, every woman? That size range doesn't even cover the *average* adult woman (size 14/16, according to US figures). 2-12 are "misses" sizes, not "womens" (i.e., plus) sizes.
Courtney / June 19, 2010 at 01:46 pm
can somebody please sell some original wear???!!
Bee / June 19, 2010 at 01:51 pm
lol Every woman who's not obese is what they meant
Alex / June 19, 2010 at 01:57 pm
Poor wording. Every woman will not be covered as suburban, middle aged women make up the largest group in that average sized woman. Top shop doesn't focus on that group> I think they will hit most of the market if you eliminate elderly over 30 crowd. The average teenage-late 20s, urban average must be around a size 8 CDN.
bob / June 19, 2010 at 01:59 pm
what about topman
handfed / June 19, 2010 at 02:19 pm
garbage
MH / June 19, 2010 at 02:28 pm
My point is that the "everywoman"/"every woman" language in the article is both misleading and offensive in its implications.

Also, these fashion retailers are missing the money ship by catering only to an already oversaturated market. From Yesterday's NYT: "The plus-size market increased 1.4 percent while overall women’s apparel declined 0.8 percent in the 12 months leading up to April 2010 versus the same period a year earlier, the most recent figures available, according to NPD Group, a market research firm."
Sheryl / June 19, 2010 at 02:32 pm
<i>at such an affordable price ($89), why stop at one?</i>

Thats 'affordable' these days?
miro replying to a comment from MH / June 19, 2010 at 02:56 pm
It's hard to explain, but it's the same reason why Ferrari and Lamborghini probably won't be making minivans simply because there's a large market for them.
Jordan / June 19, 2010 at 03:05 pm
It's not a topshop, without a topman. damn.
MH replying to a comment from miro / June 19, 2010 at 03:52 pm
I wouldn't say it's hard to explain -- it's an example of the so-called "aspirational" approach to the fashion business. As per your example, it's bad enough that companies like Ferrari lead people to pine after a socioeconomic level from which most of them will be forever shut out by capitalist dynamics, but the confinement of 'fashionable' clothes to only small sizes encourages people to loathe and damage their own healthy, natural bodies in an attempt to fit socially sanctioned models. Striving endlessly after a Ferrari might make you nearly mad with frustration, but striving after a size 8/10/12 body when yours is naturally a size 22/24/26 might actually kill you.
fiveteamer / June 19, 2010 at 03:59 pm
Why don't you people try saving money for once.
Kevin / June 19, 2010 at 04:14 pm
Re: TOP MAN

At this time, TOP MAN does not have a scheduled launch in Toronto.

After speaking with the owner, it does seem like we can expect Top Man as the brand gains some momentum.

"I want to walk before I run," said Jackie O' Brien.

Re: SIZE ISSUE

Full size breaks for TOP SHOP: http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaticPageDisplay?storeId=12556&;catalogId=19551&identifier=ts1%20size%20guide%20and%20washcare

I take back my "every woman" comment, since I was attempting to highlight the fact that Jackie O' Brien did not want to edit the collection by size.

When Beth Ditto was approached by TOP SHOP to create a line, she declined. Why? Because the same company (Arcadia) that owns TOP SHOP, owns www.evans.co.uk/, a plus size change. This was a Top Shop launch, not Evans.

"She has managed to cover every woman that TOP SHOP caters to (or will, quite literally, this Saturday)."
ScienceNerd / June 19, 2010 at 04:31 pm
A tank top for $80 that'll probably be out of style by next season? Gimme a bloody break...
blue blue shoes / June 19, 2010 at 04:55 pm
poor people suck.
amanda / June 19, 2010 at 04:57 pm
"The average teenage-late 20s, urban average must be around a size 8 CDN."

This is so not true.

Also, these prices are way not affordable. Top Shop in new york is cheaper...
suescanlon / June 19, 2010 at 05:15 pm
topshop in england goes up to a size 16!!
K / June 19, 2010 at 05:29 pm
Went today.. not worth it. Hard on the pockets and didn't find anything you couldn't find at your local F21/H&M
MH replying to a comment from suescanlon / June 19, 2010 at 05:33 pm
A UK size-16 is a US/CAN size-12/14, and closer to the 12 than the 14, usually.
suescanlon replying to a comment from MH / June 19, 2010 at 05:50 pm
top shop usually small on the sizing, i prefer dorothy perkins as its a bit cheaper and usually bigger on the sizes , im a uk 12
MeshAintForMe replying to a comment from MH / June 19, 2010 at 06:07 pm
I see your point about the 'every body type' comment and I agree as someone that will not fit into their sizes. But, I don't think there is anything 'healthy' or 'natural' about being a size 22/24/26 ... asking anyone who fits those sizes (other than that weird reality TV woman who wants to be the worlds heaviest woman) and they will tell you how un-healthy they feel and how unlikely a TopShop mesh shirt is at the top of their priority list.
Marc / June 19, 2010 at 06:13 pm
A top for $89 is already an issue, but please don't tell me a top or piece of clothing is priced that way but was MADE IN CHINA!
Fashionistuh / June 19, 2010 at 06:27 pm
"Topshop has you covered with a pair for the cool price of $115"

For hammer pants? I've found them muuuch cheaper, and I think they were even cheaper at the Topshop in NYC if I remember correctly. I think I would have remembered such an outrageous price for such an ugly item of clothing. Is it so pricy because we now have J+O as another middleman involved in the process?

Look, I have quite a bit of clothes in my wardrobe that cost $100 plus, but a) they're of a decent quality that I know they won't fall apart before I get bored of them and b) I don't go blowing smoke up my ass by pretending that it's a reasonable price. Especially when we're talking about dungarees and khaki vests.

Bubba Dork / June 19, 2010 at 07:16 pm
since when is over 30 elderly?
bob / June 19, 2010 at 07:47 pm
But see, people in UK are much slimmer. And, the research of the average size of women typically are based on US data.
Anyways, I can't believe people are getting offended at this - you can't expect a store to try to satisfy everyone's needs, that's why other stores, malls, and department stores exist.

Also, everytime there is an article like this, why is there always someone who complains about what is "affordable" and what isn't?
bob / June 19, 2010 at 07:51 pm
Ps I don't know how nobody has even brought this up yet, but pretty much EVERYTHING is more expensive in Canada.Why is it that it's just the clothes you complain about?
I think it's the taxes and tariffs companies have to go through.
tdc / June 19, 2010 at 07:57 pm
I've got to jump on the "affordable" train for a second and agree with everyone else who said an $89 pair of jeans isn't affordable (not to mention paying $80 for a tank top - basically $100 with tax). That's the type of statement I'd expect to see in a consumer-culture-trend-loving-bandwagon-hopping magazine like Toronto Life, not BlogTO. Isn't the BlogTO readership (or target reader) more thrifty/alternative/creative with their wardrobe? Maybe I'm alone on this one...
MH replying to a comment from MeshAintForMe / June 19, 2010 at 09:43 pm
You must be joking. I wear a size 30, and I don't feel 'unhealthy' for it. It's my natural body, the size I've been most of my adult life (similar to many of my blood relatives), and it requires no special 'maintenance' (other than a reasonably healthy vegan diet) to keep it this way.

And why should how 'healthy' a person feels have ANYTHING to do with her ability to purchase attractive or trendy clothing? If clothing were a reward for attaining some abstract state of health, advertisements and magazines wouldn't feature models with eating disorders, and people with cancer would all be made to go about naked. The extremely limited options for larger women are all about cultural fatphobia, not 'health'.
Alison / June 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm
Hmmm...so from the pics I see, seriously NOT a big deal ladies!
Look at that leopard print top with the red bow ties - UGLY!
If you are looking for unusual and CHEAP, look no further than the great little shops in Chinatown on the west side of Spadina just north of Queen. You will LOVE the stuff in there and it's extremely stylish and interesting. Yes, it's made in China like TopShop stuff; but instead of $89 for a tank, it's probably about $20.
Cynthia / June 20, 2010 at 12:36 am
Does it carry TopShop's PETITE RANGE??? The New York store does!

vivian / June 20, 2010 at 12:47 am
Definitely NOT "affordable". My eyes almost popped out of their sockets at the $80 price tag for a tank top. You've gotta have some serious cash to burn to be spending it on a piece of clothing that will most likely go out in a couple months.
And having seen some of the selection available, I have to agree that it's not anything completely unique or out of the box. Even Aritzia's cheaper! And that's saying something. Word of advice: go to the closest H&M/Forever21 - it's easily half the price and pretty much the same thing (maybe even nicer).
L / June 20, 2010 at 01:26 am
Wow- the average US adult woman's size is 14-16? That is shocking to me. I am blessed by being naturally thin- I have never had issues with sizing and I never realized that I am in the minority!

If I was a designer I would open a cool shop catering just to you lovely curvy gals! But alas, I have never sewn a stitch in my life. I believe that you can be fashionable at any size or shape. Hopefully more options open up for you lovely ladies.
Estell / June 20, 2010 at 01:30 am
What is it with fat people?? For god's sake, a store doesn't carry enormous sizes...and suddenly that means that the stores are doing something wrong? If you're 5'5 and a size 18, that tight leopard print is not going to look the way it does on a size 2.
China / June 20, 2010 at 01:31 am
Made in China? If you have done your research or looked at the clothing up close, you'll notice that most, if not all of the clothing was made in countries that are not China.

Jordan / June 20, 2010 at 02:53 am
For what it's worth - when I used to shop at the Oxford Circus Top Man, I was always throughly impressed by their range of sizes of clothing. At least with their jeans - pretty much everything from a 26 to a 40 was there - with each size having different lengths depending if you're short, medium, or tall. Frankly, I've never been in a store that carries that much range and is relatively stylish.

Although, that's not why I'm posting!

I think the bigger news here isn't that topshop has opened up on Ossington - but rather, they have actually started shipping direct to Canada on their website. Anything that a guy or girl could want can be packed, sealed, and delivered right to your door. Huzzah!

PAUL4TOPMAN / June 20, 2010 at 10:38 am
At this point, TopMan is scheduled to arrive Feb 2011. And Kate Moss in the Fall.
Simuls replying to a comment from MH / June 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm
I'm glad that you don't "feel unhealthy", but at a size 30, you ARE unhealthy, regardless of what your natural relatives are like. My entire family is large and I was taught that I should just accept that as well - "it's in the genes" argument - but it's all bullshit - I've worked my ass off to get into shape and consequently have none of the problems they do. Unless you are over 6'4" tall and have the bone structure of Venus Williams, no woman should be a 30. It isn't fatphobia - it's a simple matter of health, and a vegan diet does not mean a healthy diet as many vegans consume huge amounts of fat thinking that just because it's a "good kind of fat" it's ok. I think we need to have as large a discussion about obesity (and it's polar opposites) as we did with smoking. They are both a product of selfish thinking, self-indulgence and cost our society billions of dollars every year. So go ahead Top-Shop and top out at 16.
Z replying to a comment from Bee / June 20, 2010 at 12:36 pm
For those who can't understand why people are complaining about the sizing, it's not the lack of plus sizing, but the wording. "A full size range" for "every woman" are not accurate comments to make.

And for Bee, not every woman who wears a plus size is overweight or obese. At my very skinniest I was a size 8. I have wide hips and a large bust, nothing I can do will change my bone structure or make my breasts smaller (some what to my dismay, on the latter). I currently wear a 10 or 12, so I am not in the plus size range but that isn't the point. The point of this story is that some women are naturally larger than others, some of us just have larger or wider bone structures. Plus sized people are not, strictly, obese.
L2 replying to a comment from L / June 20, 2010 at 12:56 pm
Have you never walked down the street in any place (including Toronto) in North America? Average size is pretty obvious based on the average on the street. Your comments, as "kindly" as they were written to demonstrate a naivety only demonstrate a lack of awareness and reality-maybe you only see fellow skinny people? (btw-I'm a 4-6, not a plus size person, and I was STILL offended by your comments).
MH replying to a comment from Simuls / June 20, 2010 at 12:58 pm
Wow, perhaps you should do some research. There is a peer-reviewed study that's just come out, for example, that finds absolutely no difference in health status for fat and thin people under the age of 40 (and over that age, only a difference in the amount of drugs prescribed, not a difference in health itself). This complements the research that's found that the old folks who live the longest are those who are the fattest, and that fat people cost the medical system no more than thin people. Scientists now agree that weight is inherited to the ame extent as height; it's not something that the vast majority of people can choose to permanently alter. So you sound like quite an ignorant bigot spouting your "DEATHFAT DEATHFAT OOGA BOOGA!" here. So sad that you feel the need to prop up your own fragile ego by fat shaming others.
LNG / June 20, 2010 at 01:17 pm
It is as simple as this:
If you HAVE TO complain about their size range or pricing, YOU ARE NOT their market.
Businesses do not open to please all of us, just a percentage (big or small)
Move on, and instead of wasting energy complaining look for another store/chain that caters your needs.
And if you don't find it... Then, you've found a niche. Take it an open a business, see if you can make EVERYONE happy.
MedStudent replying to a comment from MH / June 20, 2010 at 01:29 pm
Can you provide a reference for that peer-reviewed article? I'm a medical student and I didn't hear anything about the release of that study, which sounds like it would be fairly groundbreaking if well conducted.
joe / June 20, 2010 at 02:47 pm
The typical West Queen West customer is size 0-10. Downtown Toronto girls are skinnier than suburban ones.
The Man / June 20, 2010 at 02:53 pm
LNG, an intelligent reply and spot on.

The Man / June 20, 2010 at 02:54 pm
To kill all the debate, J+O carries all the same sizes as Topshop in the UK and all their other stores round the world.

Canuck in UK / June 20, 2010 at 03:26 pm
These prices seem really inflated - especially with the Canadian dollar so high! Damn.

I'm a Canadian in the UK and $80 for a tank top seems really steep. Surely it's only £25 here ($45 Canadian)!? And those dungarees? £45 here (about $65 canadian)

lame
annakareninaonmeth / June 20, 2010 at 05:39 pm
DEATHFAT DEATHFAT OOGA BOOGA!! what?! people are getting far too emotional about TopShop...relax

ABX replying to a comment from LNG / June 20, 2010 at 06:02 pm
I love shopping at Topshop whenever I'm in the UK or in New York. I'm complaining about their prices because once again, they're much steeper here than they are there. And it's more the author's insisting that these prices are affordable that's more annoying than anything. Come on, who are you kidding?

That and the fat thing. I didn't expect Topshop to have any bigger sizes here than at any of their other stores - why would they? But don't brag about them making themselves "sure that every woman is covered," when that's just not the case. Why not just write that they'll have the full size range of every other store? Then you, the author, are not offending those who are bigger than a size 16 by implying that they don't count as a woman.

kevinn / June 20, 2010 at 06:17 pm
Last time I'll say this.

A retraction was already made about the comment, "every woman."

It seems that most of you have stopped at that point and ignored the clothing, which was what the post is about. It is a store, that MANY people wanted in Toronto and now that it is here, you complain about the high price point. Well, unfortunately, duty, shipping and various other expenses contribute to a price point that you consider high. 89 dollars for a pair of jeans? Since when is that a big expense. Think about how often you'll wear your jeans, now divide that by the price. Seems reasonable, no?

If you want a tank that will wear out in a week, you can continue purchasing your fast fashion basics from Old Navy and Bluenotes. Despite popular opinion in this post, not everything is made in China.

Clearly the majority of people commenting in this post do not meet the demo of Top Shop and that is fine. There are plenty of other options for you to choose from. A full size break means a range of sizes that a retailer carries. This is Top Shop's size break. If you can't deal with it, that doesn't mean that the author (me) is calling you fat or associating your body type with an "unhealthy lifestyle."
LNG replying to a comment from ABX / June 20, 2010 at 07:08 pm
To ABX:
Perhaps you are not taking into consideration that whenever you shop in the UK or NY there are added costs to your experience, like hotel or plane tickets, currency exchange, and any duty you are supposed to pay when you come back, which are the same a retailer has to pay to import any items.

As for the author, I'm pretty sure he insists the items are affordable based on the average Jonathan + Olivia target customer.

Regarding the "fat thing" as you call it, not the author or myself... I think you are taking it way too far and just want to see an offense where there is only a choice of words different that the one you would've made.
K replying to a comment from MH / June 20, 2010 at 08:28 pm
You say you're healthy at a size 30? That means you have a 59 inch bust, a 52 inch waist, and 60 inch hips. I'm pretty sure many years of medical research would disagree with you.
Quinn Yuan / June 20, 2010 at 09:43 pm
EAT RIGHT, EXERCISE AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO FIT INTO THESE CLOTHES.
plus there is a difference between CURVY and FAT!
if you look back into history there were no obese people! and don't tell me you can't loose weight....everything's possible if you're determined! stop eating chocolate and cupcakes
baha / June 20, 2010 at 10:47 pm
I like reading these comments.
piccola / June 20, 2010 at 11:06 pm
The prices are only disturbing because Topshop is a downmarket brand. It's supposed to sell cheap, disposable clothes for the budget-bound but fashionably forward. Those same prices would be fine if these were quality pieces with a long shelf-life -- but they aren't.
Cynthia / June 21, 2010 at 07:27 am
Regarding the prices: Top Shop is more expensive in North America, PERIOD. A top which costs 40 GBP costs $80 in the US. The exchange rate tells me that it should be more like $60-$65.

Also, no one answered whether petite sizes are available.
ZUUL / June 21, 2010 at 09:08 am
Meera is a fatty.
Canuck in UK replying to a comment from Cynthia / June 21, 2010 at 11:29 am
Top Shop is a step above Primark and New Look so really, the prices seem ridiculous. But go ahead, pay $80 for a tank ("vest") - you're really just paying for the exotic/ cool britannia brand anyway...
L replying to a comment from L2 / June 21, 2010 at 06:08 pm
I am sorry for offending you! I mis-worded my comment, I do appear like I am boasting, which I absolutely am not. I am in fact a body worker, and I see all types of bodies in my line of work. I honestly would never discriminate against a particular size. And I honestly do believe that any size woman or man can be beautiful- it doesn't stop at any size.

I was truthfully surprised at the average woman's size, and the fact that this huge market is not being catered to. It just seems so obvious to me to cater to the majority market, not minority. I love fashion, and if I could sew I would be hopping all over this great opportunity. To anyone else who I offended, please accept my apologies.
kevinn replying to a comment from Cynthia / June 22, 2010 at 05:24 pm
As of now, the only sizes are as listed above. Other areas will be considered for later dates
alex replying to a comment from MH / June 27, 2010 at 02:55 pm
lose some weight
MB replying to a comment from Alex / June 27, 2010 at 03:40 pm
re. "Elderly over 30 crowd"

Blog TO comments section really is some of the best comedy out there!

SV / June 28, 2010 at 08:17 pm
If you aren't happy about TopShop having only small sizes and being "expensive"...go shop at Gap with the rest of the suburban soccer moms.
laura / June 29, 2010 at 04:51 am
people complaining about a size 14+ being healthy...
it's not.
obesity is never healthy, never will be.
skinny b replying to a comment from MH / June 29, 2010 at 10:17 am
yes, let us please all encourage obesity!!!! and carry clothes for fat girls.
C'mon / July 3, 2010 at 04:05 pm
The girl saying she is a healthy size 30 is refering to Jean sizing you idiots. Not saying that she is built like a pumpkin on legs... Sheesh! The average jr high girl wears a 26-28 so its a bit ridiculous to go on a tirade about size 30 being obese.

I managed a TopShop in the UK and their clothes do run small, they always have. At 5'9" and 135lbs I wore a 10/12 and long length for jeans... It was annoying. However Topshop staple basics and knickers are awesome but it looks like they'll just be carrying the 'fashion line' here.. Bummer.
EM / July 4, 2010 at 09:48 pm
This is directed to ALL of you as means of clarifying and explaining where both sides of ALL arguments are coming from.
First off, $89 dollars is 'affordable' in today's world when speaking about fashion. Often when looking through the best selling magazines; Vogue, Elle, Fashion, Flare, etc. you'll notice that the fashion spread usually includes high end clothing pieces/ accessories that are hundreds of dollars, or even thousands, to purchase. I'm not saying $89 is cheap or pennies, everyone is on a different level to what they can afford and what they can not, which is why 'affordable' isn't the best word to use in describing any clothing line.
I have shopped at Top Shop MANY TIMES, I have never once had a problem with their clothing, in fact- I've often told my friends how much I spent on the clothing pieces they've admired, and they've agreed how great the prices are. HAVING SAID THAT, I wouldn't go as far as saying EVERYTHING in the store is reasonably priced; a tank top for $80, no thank you, but a dress for $80, yes please.

Everyone has a different style, so Topshop will either compliment their fashion needs or do the opposite, but either way no need to go trash Topshop and say such things as "garbage"; someone could easily reply that your selection of clothing or accessories are 'garbage'. See what I mean? It's not necessary

As for the discussion regarding WEIGHT, what is the point? Unless you're their immediate family doctor discussing health issues, no need to put your input on whether a size 30 or size 16 is fat. No need to show 'fatphobia', it's hurtful to others.

I'm a size 4 so I'm not defending 'plus size' women as though I'm one of them, but I can say this: the media projected in today's society is filled with skinny beautiful women, which has furthermore projected lots a pressure on young females, and some males, which has resulted into eating disorders. My point is this: doesn't matter whether you are skinny or larger, health issues are unfortunately among all, despite what size you are. If you are larger and unhealthy, please take care of yourself. Everyone can be beautiful in their own way, and it is truly upsetting that those that aren't as skinny or tall as models you see in magazines or on TV immediately think they aren't good looking. THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

Enough mushy talk, no need to be rude to others, Topshop is an amazing store, in my opinion (not for all). Leave it at that.

andrea replying to a comment from Quinn Yuan / July 7, 2010 at 05:04 pm
quinn yann, just a quick little response about the fact that noone in the history of the world was "obese"
king henry the 8th would have a little something to say about that
granted he had diabetes and was a mess
but relax with the capslock kanye
Kristen / July 9, 2010 at 09:10 pm
Pretentious, pretentious, pretentious.

Not TopShop, I do love it though I must admit that I do not own a single article of the line itself. If you cannot afford it, don't buy it. Isn't that how the world works? I hate to sound like a capitalist sympathizer or anything, and I'm NOT (quite...), but come on, that's just 'the way it is.' To criticize this one small boutique for branching out and bringing in foreign designers is very single-minded and ignorant. Shame on some of the blind criticism--criticism is great, hell its welcomed and NEEDED, but not when grounded in fiction. Stop believing the lie that you are telling yourselves; some seem to believe that they have not/do not contribute to nor take part in such consumer behaviours/trends. A 'them--everybody else is doing it, not ME' mentality. Wow, who knew that there were so many evolved, enlightened humans in this forum? Isn't that the easiest route to take, after all? But I digress, for fear that this rant may shatter many a carefully constructed, delusional, self-made facade. I'm not even going to touch the body image arguments made--many are so, so sadly misinformed. Ugghh.
Marie-Eve Paré / August 1, 2010 at 10:16 am
What is the address of the Toronto store? Thanks everyone!
Info replying to a comment from Marie-Eve Paré / August 9, 2010 at 07:58 am
49 OSSINGTON AVENUE
TORONTO ON, M6J 2Y9 CANADA
PH. +(001) 416 849 5956
TORONTO
MONDAY TO WEDNESDAY 11 TO 19:00
THURSDAY + FRIDAY 11 TO 21:00
SATURDAY 11 TO 19:00 | SUNDAY 12 TO 18:00
shoshana / August 12, 2010 at 10:22 am
these comments ARE hilarious. can't afford it- don't shop there or save up money. such is life! can't fit into clothes- don't shop there or start sewing. such is life!

expensive tops for "made in china"- people, alex wang is made in china! as does LOTS of other designer wares. people in china are just like people in italy. they are human too and can sew just as well.
Jill replying to a comment from Marc / August 12, 2010 at 01:34 pm
I agree $89 isn't "afordable", but PLZ, cut the "Made in China" crab. MIC doesn't always mean CHEAP Quality, acutally a lost of them are very good. The price they are listing has nothing to do with where the clothes've been made, but the company's marketing branding strategy.

Simply look around what you are having right now, for anything, list how many of them are MADE IN CHINA, and how many of them really are POOR QUALITY. You will know what I mean.
Fiona / October 12, 2010 at 11:46 am
I am from the Uk and was so excited about Topshop opening up in Toronto. I was SHOCKED when I saw the prices of the clothes in there. It is day light robbery for what they are charging. I tried on pay of trouser last week that were $115 plus tax. When I got home i checked the website and I found the exact same ones for about $62 equivalent. Topshop is known for its great prices and is meant to be in line with Zara and H&M. I just ordered the clothes online instead. I will just be stocking up on Topshop when I go home for Christmas. I think its very disapointing that they would charge such extortionate prcies for simple items of clothing :(
Perp / October 15, 2010 at 09:59 am
Jill: Made in China may not mean cheap, but when you know you are paying a 500%+ markup to cover ostentatious storefronts/websites/marketing - well, it's a bite in the arse, that's for sure.

I'm 6'4" woman and I have a pair of tall jeans ($40 on clearance, woot) and a top from Topshop. The jeans are good quality, the top not so much, but I take care of it to make it last longer.

What can you do? We live in a disposable world, and if you are trying to keep up with fashion then you really aren't concerned with money, anyway.

And the Made in China thing is a pretty moot point since the keyboard you're using to type on was probably made there.

bye!

Missy / November 2, 2010 at 02:00 am
Haha! these comment are beyond hilarious!

Anyways, I hope ya'll realize that Jonathan + Olivia ONLY have selected items from topshop.

So, if you're really dying to see the other stuff they carry including mens... then board a plane to the U.K. or New York or hit up the topshop/topman website... and hopefully you're problems will be solved!

P.S. "expensive tops for "made in china"- people, alex wang is made in china!" < greatest comment EVER! lol
Missy / November 2, 2010 at 02:02 am
Haha! these comment are beyond hilarious!

So, if you're really dying to see the other stuff they carry (including mens)... then board a plane to the U.K. or New York or hit up the topshop/topman website... and hopefully you're problems will be solved!

Samson / December 24, 2010 at 06:24 am
What about Topman? What about those prices you see at Topman in NYC and BCN? Will they be also present, instead of outrageous TO prices??
ABBA / April 20, 2011 at 11:40 pm
My two cents: TOP SHOP is an AMAZING store, that being said, if you've ever frequented any of their stores in the UK (especially the flagship store in OXFORD, its to die for) then you will know this: Bargains are to be HAD, even TOP SHOP New York has some killer deals!

ThAT BEING said, it would have to take some major swaying for me to purchase anything
at this TOP SHOP store, why pay way more when you can buy online. Yes you can say when your
going away your looking at airfare, hotel, food etc costs, but I'm realistically assuming noone in their right mine complaining about price points would do that, you go for the experience and if your lucky and your on a trip there you bag yourself some TOPSHOP.

sorry J&O, love what you are trying to do and your style but seriously I have to agree TOPSHOP was meant to be a brand that in the UK is on the same level as ZARA , F21

I think what bothers consumers is when you take a brand like that and distort it to fit
the target market of a youthful Ossington market with some cash to boot.

thank god for online shopping!!!
Clay / April 21, 2011 at 12:56 am
Doesn't matter as Topshop dropped J+O anyway.
Romane / July 22, 2011 at 10:42 am
What is the address of Toronto's Topshop ? Please
mark / September 2, 2011 at 09:50 pm
toronto is full of douche bags, and this blog is proof.

you people make me sick, and your sense of style is a joke.
Chris / October 4, 2012 at 07:32 pm
I can't believe all this carrying on about sizes. First of all, the fit of UK sizes is smaller across the board (ie, what would be a 9-11 here would be about a 12-14 UK). I have ordered from Topshop in the UK and was delighted with the cut, fit, style and quality of my purchases. Even with the shipping fees, I still got quite a deal in comparison to shopping anywhere in Toronto. That is really too bad if the prices in Topshop here are hiked up. If that is the case, I would recommend buying online instead.
Chris / October 4, 2012 at 07:34 pm
PS I just want to add that I am well over 30 and definitely no toothpick.
Cannon replying to a comment from Simuls / October 4, 2012 at 08:53 pm
Remind me to show you a certain episode of Penn & Teller: Bullshit about body size and genetics, and how it CAN'T change, no matter how fit you get.

Also, you need to get over your obvious body fascism and fataphobia.