Thursday, October 23, 2014Sunny 15°C
Fashion & Style

Jessica Jensen is Toronto's Handbag Queen

Posted by Briony / October 19, 2009

Jessica JensenCanada doesn't have many of its own high-end handbag-makers, but Toronto is lucky to claim Jessica Jensen as one of our own. (I'm particularly fond of my bright-white hobo from last year's spring collection, even if the handles tend to get frighteningly filthy.)

The designer took over Thrush Holmes Empire to show her new wares last week. The collection was filled with the pastel hues and sorbet shades that signal that spring is around the corner (well, after winter, anyway). And, for sensible fashionistas, there were some seasonless black and gray purses aussi.

Jessica JensenJessica JensenJensen also turned to a Bottega Veneta-like hatched pattern for several of the pieces, and a pared-down leather strips for others.

Jessica JensenJessica JensenBonus: visitors got to check out Jensen's own sketches of the pieces, which were displayed alongside the bags, along with the ad campaign shot by Jensen's renowned artist husband, Joshua Jensen-Nagle.

Jessica JensenJessica JensenJessica Jensen

Photos by Fara Winestock.

John Henry / October 19, 2009 at 03:37 pm
Wow, I'm so glad we have someone from Canada repping us in the handbag industry. All Hail the Handbag Queen!
patchwork / October 19, 2009 at 03:59 pm
I think Jessica Jensen is very talented, her lovely bags caught my eye last year in a shop on College Street. However, I'm not sure about "sensible fashionista". This unknown designer's prices seem to start at $700. There were several left over when I re-visited the shop a few months later. The bags are nice, but the price tag is a bit too steep.
Elle Driver / October 19, 2009 at 03:59 pm
It's a moot point, but Canada has more than a few renowned bag designers: Toronto's own Jeanne Lottie and Montreal's Matt & Nat instantly come to mind.

That said, Jensen's work is beautiful (I totally covet the bags in the first and second pic!) and I look forward to seeing more of her stuff.
Me / October 19, 2009 at 06:20 pm
Yo, Dogs! I've got $700 worth of crap on my arm. Let's all go get bohemian on each others' *ss in Kensington!
Christopher replying to a comment from Me / October 19, 2009 at 06:40 pm
you jelz
john2 / October 19, 2009 at 09:52 pm
$700 for a knockoff Bottega???
handfed / October 19, 2009 at 10:17 pm
Bags. pinned to the wall. hrm.
piccola / October 20, 2009 at 09:08 am
Yeah, we do have more than one handbag star in Canada. And while I'd never pay that much for a purse -- my $100 on sale Matt & Nat was a huge splurge -- in designer-handbag world, $700 is nothing. So if people are willing to pay, and it looks like they are, let's not begrudge our local girl her success.
Purses&ShoesOhMy / October 20, 2009 at 09:45 am
re: $700+ price tag
Guess no one remembers the days before EVERYTHING was made in the sweatshops of China & India - when you had to actually pay good money towards a product made well locally. Go to NYC & purchase knock-offs you so adore.
autumn / October 22, 2009 at 10:44 am
I have four Jessica Jensen Handbags and I love them!! Quality, is all I see!
Chrissy / December 12, 2010 at 10:58 am
Jess your purses are great. Especially when on vacation they are big and beautiful.Couldn't ask for a better product. Well made with a lot of class.Love my JJ purse
veronica hunt / August 6, 2012 at 12:39 pm
I am trying to track down an old friend of mine-Jessica Jensen from Toronto.
Are there any photos of the designer available?
My friend Jessica's birth name was Karen.
Any information would be appreciated