Friday, October 31, 2014Light Rain 7°C
Arts

What's the worst thing you've lost on the TTC?

Posted by Natalia Manzocco / August 10, 2014

ttc lost foundThe creature that steals my socks out of the laundry has a cousin. It lives in the tunnels of the TTC, and it wants my gloves and mittens (but only one at a time). When a single matched pair survives a whole winter, I basically throw a party. If you're like me, and you've sacrificed countless personal treasures (keys, priceless artworks, true love, your sanity) to our city's transit system, a new project wants to make beautiful public art out of your sob story.

The Things We Lose is a new video project by Labspace Studio, the same folks that recently showed us the historic path of the Don River through public art. They're currently accepting submissions for stories and photos on your lost items; if your story's chosen, they'll film a segment for the project, and it'll be screened in subway stations in October.

Photo by Dominic Bugatto in the blogTO Flickr pool

Labspace Studio / August 10, 2014 at 01:40 am
Hey BlogTO,

Thanks so much for helping us spread the word! Just to clarify... we're looking for stories from people who have lost things both inside and outside of the TTC... could be anyplace, anytime. And it doesn't have to be a "thing" -- could be a person, too.

The goal of the project is not necessarily to reconnect people with their lost items (although this could very well happen -- and we hope it does!), but rather to give people the opportunity to make peace with their losses. The project is as much about "letting go" as it is about "finding."

The Things We Lose runs the entire month of October on video monitors and large-format subway posters throughout the TTC.

Want to participate? Follow the link for more info: www.thethingswelose.com
Yardl / August 10, 2014 at 08:54 am
My innocence.
cathie / August 10, 2014 at 10:06 am
2 month's worth of a client's sorted expense receipts that I do for friend who is his bookkeeper. She left it on the bus. It was about 6 hours' work on my part. We could not believe that someone wouldn't have turned it in. No money or anything of value in the file, but we figured whoever found it just chucked it.
While the art project is a great idea, lets provide a little more useful info / August 10, 2014 at 10:26 am
If you've lost something on the TTC first stop is to check the lost article office at the Bay St subway station

Items unclaimed from the TTC are then sold by Police auction,
Memories / August 10, 2014 at 10:37 am
In all honesty..,,.my virginity.
16 years ago on the last train to Kipling station.
Empty car.
Deeanna / August 10, 2014 at 10:40 am
Work shoes, umbrellas, hats, gloves = typical loss.

I was to give a hand-knit blanket (took 4 months to make)to my niece for her birthday. Had a couple beers and fell asleep on the bus to home. When I woke up, I had done 3 round trips and got kicked off. Took down the bus number and called frantically but to no avail. The TTC office told me the people who clean the buses are contracted out sometimes. SO someone has my blanket and didn't have the audacity to hand it into Lost and Found. Still pretty annoyed.
The Gorch / August 10, 2014 at 12:17 pm
My compassion towards other humans.
Sylvia replying to a comment from Memories / August 10, 2014 at 12:38 pm
Was anyone with you?
andrei / August 10, 2014 at 01:10 pm
a bag with several items in it. A shure Beta58 microphone, a borrowed book, and a digital camera (that had several incriminating videos on it).. i took the TTC from North York (Fairview mall area to Kensington market) in circa april 2010.
Jason / August 10, 2014 at 01:13 pm
A few years ago a woman told me about how some guy chatted her up on the subway for a while, then at one stop as the doors closed, he grabbed her bag and ran off. She was really upset because the bag contained her iPod, wallet, keys, and the dead puppy she was taking to the vet to be cremated.
Joe / August 10, 2014 at 01:23 pm
My sense of smell
W. K. Lis / August 10, 2014 at 01:52 pm
Unclaimed articles are sold at the Police Auctions Canada. The bad news is that anyone can pay to buy them.

Not just the TTC, but the police in the area as well. Wonder if they sell videos?
Alexzander / August 10, 2014 at 02:16 pm
In May 2008 I forgot my Canon Rebel XT with a whole bunch of peripherals under my seat at Finch Station. I had my backpack and my camera bag under my seat waiting for the Newmarket bus and when it arrived I grabbed my backpack without looking and jumped on the bus. I only realized that I left my camera bag once I arrived in Newmarket. The total amount of equipment I lost was around $1000. Suffice to say it was a hard lesson to learn.

I called the TTC to see if anyone brought it to the lost and found, and of course no one did.
Gay Guy Joey / August 10, 2014 at 03:58 pm
My patience.
Nelson M / August 10, 2014 at 04:10 pm
My belief in Torontonians can behave... You SHOULD NOT touch anything because there might be a creamy number two hidden...
Michelle / August 10, 2014 at 04:42 pm
I lost one of the most important persons in my life. In Dundas I had to say goodbye to my old highschool love, I took the metro to my home and he stayed in the station because he had to go back to Montreal.
Holy Thundering Jesus / August 10, 2014 at 06:01 pm
my stomach contents, oh the memories, sigh.
Sky replying to a comment from Simon / August 10, 2014 at 06:19 pm
I'm so sorry, that such a thing happened to you.
Gene / August 10, 2014 at 09:45 pm
I lost a game of Candy Crush at Broadview station.
Ted replying to a comment from W. K. Lis / August 10, 2014 at 09:46 pm
Lost articles are held at the Lost Item office at Bay station. After a period of time THEN they are sold at police auction, just to be clear.
chris / August 11, 2014 at 09:12 am
My coworker's mother made me up a box of Indian sweets to serve as dessert for a dinner I was having. I put them on the floor of the subway on my ride home and forgot to pick them up when I left the train. When I went to work the next day, I had to lie and say they were a big hit because I felt so bad about her mother making all that effort.
sw / August 11, 2014 at 11:14 am
In grade 8 (2003), I left my school swimsuit/gym clothes on the Avenue 61N bus.. I didn't really care about my swimsuit or gym uniform, but they were in my favourite bag! It was bright blue pleather with a big pink "S" stitched onto the front. Sad day..
Jay Arr / August 11, 2014 at 11:37 am
An Original German pressing of Neil Young's Zuma. After a few too many with some buds I was heading home on the subway, fell asleep, almost missed my stop and I jumped out leaving the record wedged between the seats. I can only hope it found a happy home.
Foolish / August 11, 2014 at 12:07 pm
You didn't really lose anything on the TTC there it was always there right beside you. You foolishly got up and walked away from it, you didn't loose it, you LEFT IT there. Exactly where you put it and know it was.
Labspace Studio replying to a comment from Michelle / August 11, 2014 at 12:44 pm
Hey Michelle. We're very interested in your story. Would you be interested in contacting us? Maybe we could set up an interview? info@labspacestudio.com www.thethingswelose.com
Labspace Studio replying to a comment from Memories / August 11, 2014 at 12:46 pm
Hey Memories. If this is for real... please get in touch with us. info@labspacestudio.com.
sw replying to a comment from Foolish / August 11, 2014 at 01:00 pm
Do you know what losing something entails? To lose something is to come to be without, through accident, theft, etc.; therefore, if you leave something behind, you have in fact lost your belonging.

You're the fool.
Foolish replying to a comment from sw / August 11, 2014 at 01:29 pm
OK. No I don't know what it means to loose something BUT I have no sympathy or interest in your absent mindedness.

cathie replying to a comment from chris / August 11, 2014 at 05:33 pm
You put the box on the floor? yuck.
Deeanna replying to a comment from Foolish / August 12, 2014 at 02:06 am
Like you've never been absent-minded in your life. Well then, you must be perfect I'm sure. The dishonesty of the TTC who say they'll clean the bus and turn in anything left on unfortunately aint true. It wasn't like it was the middle of the day, it was the last trip before going out of service. No one was on the bus but me and driver "conveniently" said nothing. Oh well, she got a replacement knit blanket.
The "virginity losers"? Every transit system has those stories...and they're funny b/c its human nature.
Katie / August 12, 2014 at 02:10 am
My wallet with $700 rent money I had just withdrawn from the bank. Left on the bus in the Eglinton and Keele area. Someone returned it to the lost and found with all the money in it.