Thursday, July 24, 2014Mostly Cloudy 22°C
Arts

Watch someone tap dance their way through Toronto

Posted by Derek Flack / April 3, 2014

tap dance torontoTap dancing is something of a lost art, a throwback to the days of Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. And yet there's a certain quirky charm to it that's hard to define. While it could come off as entirely goofy, when done well, there's a certain elegance to it that people with two left feet can only hopelessly admire. By way of proof, this recently released video of Stephanie Cadman tap dancing her way around Toronto to Lara St. John's rendition of Bach's G Minor Presto. While the locations tend toward the touristy side, the video is unabashedly fun and reveals an obvious pride in our city. Have a watch -- and if you're feeling inspired, there's always dance classes.

Rigbone / April 3, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Dull but she is good looking so its supposed to be cool then right?
torontotoronto / April 3, 2014 at 01:26 pm
rude comment above. i thought it was great! keep it up!
fdsdf / April 3, 2014 at 02:02 pm
nope no way to make this cool
Bay St. Guy replying to a comment from Rigbone / April 3, 2014 at 02:05 pm
While I don't care much either way on the video your comment is perfectly illustrative of what makes Toronto a shitty city. If this was New York, or any other major city people would be all over it (for whatever reason) but in Toronto you get a bunch of stuck-up, jaded, cynical dckheads who are just "meh" and feel absolutely compelled to share with everyone how unimpressed they are. Toronto collectively has little-man syndrome because it's not mentioned in the same breath as other international cities of similar size.
Queen Street Wes / April 3, 2014 at 02:10 pm
A person tap dancing at tourist spots. So a clip of this is gonna be in "There's no place like this" Ontario ad campaign? PASS. Vote Ford.
TorontoEnthusiast / April 3, 2014 at 02:23 pm
Fun! Wish I could dance like that! :)
Marisa / April 3, 2014 at 02:53 pm
Aw, cool! What fun!
Contra-Dick replying to a comment from Bay St. Guy / April 3, 2014 at 03:00 pm
Your point would have been better had you not spouted off about disliking the video as well.

You basically started off stating the exact reason why you think Toronto sucks.

Well done.
Rob Ford / April 3, 2014 at 03:00 pm
I been tap dancing 14 years.
Gerrald / April 3, 2014 at 03:04 pm
Any way we can get a voice over of Ford talking over these? That would really make them take off.
fanjoy / April 3, 2014 at 03:18 pm
Great playing and tapping by two incredibly talented women! Nice way to celebrate Toronto. Bravo! Haters gonna hate....
Pat Anderson / April 3, 2014 at 03:19 pm
Keep playing, keep dancing. Hey, wonderful to see Toronto as the backdrop to your piece.
The late and sorely missed Gregory Hines of tap dancing fame made his last home in Oakville, so I think that we in this area of the province should view that as a legacy to be maintained.

Be cool, be gentle, have a lot of tapping fun, Stephanie. And Lara, keep fiddlin'. I really enjoy what the two of you are doing.
J / April 3, 2014 at 03:19 pm
I like Tap and Strings, this was not that great...
Chris replying to a comment from Bay St. Guy / April 3, 2014 at 03:41 pm
can you please relax?
#PositiveComments! / April 3, 2014 at 03:46 pm
I liked this!
V replying to a comment from Rigbone / April 3, 2014 at 04:24 pm
my thoughts exactly.
Bay St. Guy replying to a comment from Contra-Dick / April 3, 2014 at 04:58 pm
The video was interesting and original but I'm just not that into tap to go nuts over it. That's what I was getting at. I appreciate things like this though, however large or small, contribute to the culture of the city. Even if I really didn't like it, I would at least appreciate it's interesting and maybe just not for me rather than shitting on it for everyone else. My comment was mostly based on the fact that the person felt it necessary to go out of the way to state how unimpressed they were. A city so jaded has no passion at all and I think that holds back this city.
Lara St John / April 3, 2014 at 05:01 pm
Hello. My name is Lara St John, and I am the violinist in this video, as well as the producer. I’d like to set a few things straight.

To Mr. Q. St. Wes, who calls this “A person tap dancing at tourist spots”: I encourage you, next time you have out-of-town guests, to take a picnic basket to the Spadina pedestrian underground walkway. They’ll enjoy that. It’s also fun to ride the subway all afternoon then visit a large plastic canoe next to the traffic–choked Gardiner. The next day, you could always check out random Bay Street atriums – I hear that’s all the rage.

To the commenter who is now deleted (presumably by this blog) intimating that I or Stephanie must have friends at the blog: I can assure you that neither of us do. I live in New York, and today was the first I’d heard of it.

To Mr. Rob Ford: Congratulations on your 14 years of dancing! It’ll pay off real soon.

To the ‘meh’-sayers out there: let me give you a better idea of what it is you are seeing. On this earth, there are maybe a handful of people who have such an intrinsic understanding of the rhythmical nature of a piece of music via their own musicianship AND have the ability to translate that into a physical and visual beauty. Stephanie’s choreography and muscle memory here is simply mind-boggling.

No one got paid to do this, anyone can watch it for free, and we did it for fun – out of the joy we have in music and dance and bringing them together in unexpected ways. Anyone who feels the trollish need to belittle such a project on a Thursday afternoon should probably continue pate-spelunking their own posterior passages.

All my best!

Lara
tally / April 3, 2014 at 06:23 pm
why do people keep telling lara st john to "keep playing"… she's lara st john.
Jmons / April 3, 2014 at 06:36 pm
Great music, great dancing, and they're not exactly hard on the eyes either.
Emily replying to a comment from Lara St John / April 3, 2014 at 07:11 pm
Hi Lara! I just wanted to say that I personally think this is absolutely incredible. Thank you so much for taking the time out to create something so joyful and fun. It's a delight to watch.

All the best to you and Stephanie!

Emily
Theo replying to a comment from Lara St John / April 3, 2014 at 08:12 pm
Well I just had a long day at work, and it put a smile on my face. Thanks!
ahmic18 / April 3, 2014 at 09:16 pm
This is brilliant! Exquisite dancing and the violin performance is mesmerizing. Thanks for sharing!
kep it up, Lara! / April 3, 2014 at 10:01 pm
you seem pretty good, i think you'll do just fine out there.

when people say toronto doesn't have young talent, this puts them to shame.
Michele C / April 3, 2014 at 10:19 pm
I am stunned at the aggressive and negative response to such a joyful, precise piece of art done simply for the personal challenge and to share with others....and if people like it and appreciate it all the better. I am so tired of negative, spiteful individuals who could not say a decent word.
thank goodness none of you are in my life...I pity the folks who are stuck with you. To Ms St John and Ms Cadman THANK YOU
Matt / April 3, 2014 at 11:02 pm
More PLEASE!!! So awesome, makes me feel so alive just watching... wish it was me, but I can't tap or play the violin.
I remember seeing Tara at Ideacity a few years ago / April 3, 2014 at 11:15 pm
I think she was still learning how to play, but it was really very nice. It is always a treat to hear someone giving it their all. Especially as everyone was preoccupied about some dumb raffle that was going on.

She was a trooper, though, and kept it going, pushed through. Her perseverance is just another reason why she should get a tip of the hat. AND some tips into her hat, too. :) I hope you guys made a lot of money that day, that would have been so nice to relax with a glass of wine "gratuit" after your shoot.

Kudos, Tara!
Jason / April 4, 2014 at 12:17 am
I enjoyed the effort and congratulate the both of you on the video. I wish I could do something like it half as cool. However, to be a nit, I think the video would have been much better had you used more backdrops. Queen's Park, Old City Hall, the PATH during rush hour, Philosopher's Walk, etc, some random graffiti wall on Queen West, etc. You get the idea. Thanks for sharing.
Fashion Blogger / April 4, 2014 at 08:24 am
Based on their outfits, it's safe to say these ladies have not subscribed to the "normcore" movement.
Johnnymac6 / April 4, 2014 at 01:22 pm
I thought this was an extraordinary dance routine, including a very talented violinist as well. Very nicely done, I can tell you were having fun, and that's what is most important. Most of the negative comments probably originated from people living outside the city anyways. Torontonians by and large know good art when they see it. Cheers.