Friday, August 29, 2014Mostly Cloudy 12°C
Arts

This Week In Comedy: Matt Braunger, Eddie Izzard, and Derek Seguin

Posted by Michael Jagdeo / November 9, 2013

Eddie IzzardThe comedians making fun of Rob Ford for smoking crack are the same ones using different drugs to muster up the courage to get on stage, and that's all I have to say about that. Follow me as I walk you through This Week In Comedy...

WED NOV 13 - SUN NOV 17 / DEREK SEGUIN / YUK YUK'S / 224 RICHMOND W / 8PM / $11-20

Damn, son, Derek Seguin is the truth! It's not often that you'll find comics whose sketches are on par with their stand-up, but man was it ever tough to figure out which video to feature for Derek! When it comes to his stand-up act, he's so relaxed and casual that you forget you're even watching a performance, and it's that laid-back style that helps his act outs and impressions shine. What can I say? I'm a new fan.

SAT NOV 16 / MATT BRAUNGER / COMEDY BAR / 945 BLOOR W / 8PM & 1030PM / $20

Love Matt Braunger. He's so fun and full of life up there that you forget where you are and become immersed in his performance. But don't let the ease with which he performs fool you — he's got a bachelors in theatre, was on MADtv, and is now on NBC's Up All Night.

One thing that almost brought a tear to my eye when watching the above clip was the great response that Braunger elicited from the crowd. It's not often that an audience greets a comedian with a genuine Heeeeyyy!, especially considering the fact that they are being told throughout the taping when to applaud and when to cheer. You might think I'm reading too much into this, but I think it has a lot to do with the spirit Braunger brings to the stage. Bravo.

WED NOV 13 - SAT NOV 16 / EDDIE IZZARD / MASSEY HALL / 178 VICTORIA / $56-79

Oh, it's the inventor dude from the Ocean's movies! He's much more than that, friends. John Cleese referred to him as the "Lost Python." He's won a Primetime Emmy, won the Yahoo! People's Choice Award back in 2000 when people still used Yahoo!, and even ran 43 marathons in 51 freakin' days. The comedian in me is jealous that so much talent in housed in one person.

About the Author: This is Michael Jagdeo, and I refuse to write about myself in the third-person. My blog, Diary of a Stand-up Comedian, walks you through the up's and down's (they're mostly down's, really) in my quest to become a killer comic in Toronto.

Really? / November 9, 2013 at 07:25 am
Are you suggesting that Stephen Colbert, John Stewart, Jimmy Kimmel, Conan etc are using drugs to perform their jobs? That's pretty heavy accusations. Check yo-self, brother!
Michael Jagdeo replying to a comment from Really? / November 9, 2013 at 09:29 am
I don't have TV, so I wouldn't know about them.

I am suggesting that many comedians use beer and alcohol to help them do stand-up. I'm not hating on them for that.

In fact, as long as someone is a functional drug user, I personally don't care what their drug of choice is.

Whaddaya think?
Really? / November 9, 2013 at 11:00 am
I think it doesn't make much sense to call out comedians that are making news speaking about Rob Ford and then claim to not have seen the footage. Not sure it was really integral to your story to include false claims and accusations. I get it though - you don't have an editor reviewing the work here.
Michael Jagdeo replying to a comment from Really? / November 9, 2013 at 04:22 pm
Oh - we have a miscommunication here.

My comment wasn't directed at the talk show crowd; quite frankly, even if I had a TV, I wouldn't watch talk shows.

I was pointing at Toronto stand-up comics who jumped all over the story.
James / November 10, 2013 at 11:16 am
So you're holding open mic comics to the same standard as an elected official who is responsible for shaping drug policy? This might one of the dumbest goddamn things I've ever heard. Now, since you are allegedly a comic, why don't you detail what behaviour comics demonstrate in their personal life would prohibit them from speaking on other subjects? I'd also bet that Chris Locke, Michael Balazo, David Dineen-Porter, Nick Flanagan, and dozens of other comics would object to your baseless claim that they need alcohol to get on-stage.

Oh, and beer and alcohol are the same thing. So that might be the dumbest part of the article in hindsight.
Michael Jagdeo / November 10, 2013 at 02:31 pm
Hey James,

First of all, no need to get upset; we're just having an internet conversation. And no, I'm not holding comedians to the same standard as an elected official, although I understand why you might've thought that's what I was saying.

What I'm saying is this: it's hypocritical to use drugs like alcohol to help you get on stage and then make fun of someone using drugs to mayor a city. Furthermore, I never mentioned any names.

Regarding mentioning beer and alcohol, that was a typo; I meant beer and marijuana.

Again, my position is that I'm OK with a functional drug user, whether they're a mayor of a city or an open mic comedian. I believe that we should be allowed to reign sovereign over our own consciousness.