Sunday, December 21, 2014Mostly Cloudy 2°C
Arts

Atomic Lollipop brings anime, carnival to Toronto

Posted by Staff / August 2, 2011

Atomic LollipopThis past weekend Atomic Lollipop went down in Toronto courtesy of Top Secret Plans in cooperation with Newmindspace, Anime North and Nocturnal Comissions. Combining Anime con, rave, concert and random improv carnival, it was laidback and fun and drew several hundred people to the Sheraton Toronto Hotel & Conference Centre on Dixon Road.

The full program featured workshops, Cosplay contests, a video game room, an anime related merchandise market, carnival rides (including a full size Ferris Wheel), DJs, Anime screenings; a concert featuring the first Canadian appearance of Japanese band Bespa Kumamero and much more.

This was the event's first year and it was up against some heavy competition with many other festivals taking place in town but it drew a good crowd and I heard nothing but positive comments everywhere I went which bodes well for the future. See more photos of the event below.

Atomic LollipopAtomic LollipopAtomic LollipopAtomic LollipopAtomic LollipopAtomic LollipopAtomic LollipopAtomic LollipopAtomic LollipopAtomic LollipopAtomic LollipopAtomic LollipopWriting and photos by Scott Snider.

Rena / August 2, 2011 at 09:28 pm
This was the best, it was so much fun! There was actually something for everyone there :)
Don / August 2, 2011 at 09:52 pm
When were the outdoor pics taken? It looks like there were 25 people attending.
Scott Snider / August 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm
@Don-Mid afternoon and early evening. It's a bit deceptive as there were so many events going on inside at this point that the carnival area wasn't very busy. It got much busier outside after dark when the most of the indoor activity had finished up (not to mention after it cooled off).
Daryl / August 3, 2011 at 09:28 am
I really wish I knew about this in advance. It looks fun.
bmercy / August 3, 2011 at 10:52 am
AWESOME con. I've never been to an event with that much random shit happening everywhere. It wasn't a huge venue but they had many different areas with different things going on. There were the regular indoor convention rooms (panels, workshops, dealers room, gaming etc) but also all the hallways were packed with cool stuff and there was stuff happening in like three different outdoor areas.

I chatted with one of the organizers and he said that their goal was to pack as much fun activity into one weekend as they could and they're trying to "break the mold" of how an anime con traditionally works. It sounded like marketing bs to me but generally this event was unique and awesome so I think they're on to something here. I'll go again.
Chester Pape / August 3, 2011 at 05:43 pm
I've occasionally had my complaints with the newmindspace events, especially with Kevin's naive assumption that large numbers of random attendees will all just behave (in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, pushing/shoving/vandalism/thefts) and hence permits and security and first aid etc. are just impediments to fun. It's a wonder someone hasn't been seriously hurt at some of their more ill conceived happenings but this one looks like EXACTLY the kind of thing where they excel and is a perfect fit.