Holiday craft shows in Toronto
Holiday craft shows and sales are about to descend upon Toronto. And, for those looking to avoid the big box stores and malls to do their holiday shopping, there are loads of gift ideas to be found, featuring everything from the cheap and kitschy to the more substantial. Here's an overview of the noteworthy events taking place over the next month or so.
One of a Kind Show, Nov. 25 - Dec. 5, Direct Energy Centre, Exhibition Place
The biggest of the bunch, the One of a Kind Christmas Show and Sale will feature handmade work by over 800 Canadian artisans. Also on tap for this year's event are four recreated artisan studios wherein crafts will be made on site, hands-on workshops, fashion shows and a variety of shopping "neighbourhoods" that will group crafts/products around a particular themes like "green" gifts, and the work of "rising stars." Admission is $10 for adults.
Crafternoon Tea, Sat. Nov. 27 Queen East Presbyterian Church, 947 Queen St. E.
The 6th edition of the Crafternoon Tea will combine an indie craft market, bake sale and charity tea all into one big event featuring local artisans. Admission is a donation of craft supplies or $1 dollar to charity will give interested parties a chance to hunt for a wide variety of handmade goods, many of which are under $30.
Handmade Holiday, December 4, St.Stephen-in-the-Fields Church, 103 Bellevue Ave.
By my estimation the best part of the Kid Icarus-hosted Handmade Holiday sale is the mystery loot bags that you get if you fork out $5 for admission rather than the $2 that it takes to get in the door. Key items on offer over and above the mystery bags include paper products, posters, toys, knitwear, and jewelery.
City of Craft, Dec. 18-19, The Theatre Centre, 1087 Queen St. W.
Another big one, City of Craft is a juried craft sale that features the work of over 50 individuals and businesses. Given that the curatorial oversight, one can expect high quality goods produced by established and/or promising artisans. Admission is $2.
Additional Shows and Sales
- The Artisans Gift Fair, Tranzac Club (292 Brunswick). Nov. 27-28, Dec. 4-5, 11-12 and 18-19 Free.
- Mondo Bazar, The Gladstone, 1214 Queen St. W.
- Winter Art Fest, Neilson Park Creative Centre, 56 Neilson Dr. Nov. 27-28
- SpeakEasy Annual Holiday Sale, The Gladstone, 1214 Queen St. W.
- Artist Proof Sale & Open House, Open Studio, 401 Richmond St. W. Suite 104
- Toronto Christmas Market, December 3-12, Distillery District, 55 Mill St.
- 2nd Annual Holiday Art Market, 918 Bathurst Centre for Culture, Arts, Media & Education.
- Parkdale Bazaar - Holiday Edition, Masaryk-Cowan Community Center, 220 Cowan Ave.
- Holiday Show & Tell, Case Goods Warehouse, Distillery District, 55 Mill St.
- Made by Robot Hands Craft Fair, Site 3 coLaboratory, 718R Ossington Ave.
- Walnut Studios Christmas Art Sale, 83 Walnut Ave.
- The Wandering Winter Craft Show, December 5, 11, 19, The Canadian Corps. Association, 201 Niagara St.
- The Snow Day Holiday Market, The Gladstone, 1214 Queen St. W.
- Holiday Craft Sale, Alternative Grounds Cafe, 333 Roncesvalles Ave.
Lead photo from city of craft on Flickr.