Toronto Music News: Louwop Album Giveaway, Partial CMW 2010 Lineup Revealed, Wavelength Celebrates Ten Years, & More...
In this edition: Wavelength project to be re-formatted after tenth anniversary celebration in February, a partial line-up for CMW 2010, Jay Malinowksi of Bedouin Soundclash readies his solo debut effort, Louwop gives away The Great Escape until December 31, the D'Urbervilles to channel Rage on new album, and year end best-of lists from Moneen and Dallas Green of City & Colour and Alexisonfire.
Plus videos and downloads from Whale Tooth, Fucked Up, Diamond Rings and Vallery Gore.
Canadian Music Week 2010 Passes Available Now
Early bird wristbands and VIP passes are up for sale for Canadian Music Week 2010, taking place throughout the city from March 10 to 14. The festival boasts a roster of over 700 bands, including Jason Collett, Constantines, Great Lake Swimmers, Japanther, Our Lady Peace, Platinum Blonde, Joel Plaskett, Plants & Animals, RJD2, the RAA, Mercury Prize winner Speech Debelle, Whale Tooth, The Wilderness of Manitoba and many more. VIP will set you back $150 and full festival wristbands $60, but prices go up January 10 so grab your passes soon.
Wavelength Music Arts Project Celebrates Ten Years in Toronto
Wavelength will be celebrating their tenth anniversary with five shows at five different venues from February 10-14. Festival passes go on sale January 7 and cost $50, though tickets for individual shows will also be available. The lineup features Constantines, Evening Hymns, Bruce Peninsula, Holy Fuck, Diamond Rings, Kids on TV, Danger Bay and the reunion of Rockets Red Glare, From Fiction and The Bicycles, amongst others. Check out Wavelength for further details. The tenth anniversary festival announcement comes with news of their forthcoming transition into a "special events" format rather than promoting weekly Sunday night shows.
Whale Tooth - 'Hibernation Song'
Bedouin Soundclash Frontman Jay Malinowski Readies Solo Debut
Bedouin Soundclash frontman Jay Malinowski will release his debut solo effort on February 16 through the bands newly formed record label, Pirates Blend. Bright Lights & Bruises features eleven tracks recorded in Malinowski's apartment, seven of which you can preview at his myspace. Fans will be delighted to hear that Bedouin plan to release a follow-up to Street Gospels sometime during the summer of 2010.
Louwop Gives Away Album Until December 31
Louwop is giving away his stellar 2008 LP The Great Escape for free download until December 31 (MP3s in ZIP). The album features guest appearances from Divine Brown, Zaki Ibrahim, Kae Sun, Shad K and DJ PhD. Just right click, save as for some great local hip-hop.
Southern Souls presents Diamond Rings - 'Give It Up'
- CHARTattack compiled a whole slew of campus radio charts for albums played in 2009, revealing Julie Doiron's I Can Wonder What You Did With Your Day as the top album of the year.
- Chris 'Hippy' Hughes of Moneen lists his top five albums of 2009.
- Dallas Green of Alexisonfire/City & Colour lists his top five albums of 2009.
- Fucked Up have re-uploaded their first three mixtapes for free download via their blog.
- Spinner spoke with The D'Urbervilles about the new direction they're taking on their forthcoming record, which they promise will be heavily influenced by Rage Against the Machine.
Southern Souls presents Vallery Gore - 'Another Year'
On blogTO last week
- Five blogTO contributors came together to offer up their Top Ten Toronto Bands of 2009.
- In this week's TTC Busker profile, Jennifer introduced us to the self-professed "Black Santa" - bassoonist Jeff Burke.
Join the conversation Load comments